Intel 845/855/865 Integrated Graphics Driver [RAC]

152 posts in this topic

# The 10.4.7 950 kexts give full QE/CI with the 865's

Also they give full resoulution supports on 855 #

OK, bad news unless I'm doing something really dumb. I have a Dell Inspiron 710m (same as 700m ) with an intel 855 graphics chipset.

I was running 10.4.5 and did the JaS intel update to 10.4.7 - may be unstable connection (missing in action right now!) was saying that we should use the kext on the update on an older system. Never mind.

So I checked the following files in /System/Library/Extensions :

-AppleIntel915.kext

-AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

-AppleIntel915GA.plugin

(note there are no 830 files here)

I did show package contents and edited the info.plist file on the plugin package changing 80862582 to 80863582, saved, and repaired permissions with disk utility (since this didn't work I also edited the kext info.plist, changing the generic 0x00008086 to 0x35828086, repairing permissions, with no solution). I also deleted the kext cache.

I rebooted and nothing happened, I didn't have more resolution options on the display system preferences, still stuck with 1024x768 and no qe, no ci.

At some point, I loaded the kext manually, now it loads at boot, but in about this mac->more->graphics/displays it says "No Kext Loaded", yet in about this mac->more->extensions the AppleIntel915.kext version 1.4.24 and appleintelintegratedframebuffer 1.4.20 appear to load with no problem reported at all.

I also changed the generic 0000 to 3582 in the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer info.plist (and repaired permissions).

I tried booting in verbose mode and I get the following which looks like an error message to me :)

display: family specific matching fails

but I don't know how to pause the damn fast verbose boot!!

Can someone find an obvious mistake in what I am doing?

Khartik, unstable, someone please help!

Thanks

Ok, look I confirmed it, it doesnot work with our cards.

He has some retarded souped up card with which it somehow works. It doesnot work on his friends lappy.

Nor does it work with Vas or guiyoforward

SO IT DOESNOT WORK

damn, where can I get one of those retarded souped up cards???? :)

my next experiment will then be 10.4.1, update all the way to 10.4.7 without the graphics... will this work?

will let you know...

best,

g.

OK, I think this is the right time to close down this six pages long thread and start over again. How do we do that?

To sum up, Intel 8x5 graphics work only on 10.4.1 - it does NOT work with newer versions. Stuck at 1024x768 and no QE, no CI (though I think there is a way to get to 1280x1024, but that's not good for my notebook). Then the logical question is: is 10.4.1 good enough? It might be for you, but it is definitely more unstable and less polished than 10.4.5+.

Unstable should let us know about the coding - did we get enough money? Is someone working on the coding? Do we have a candidate?

I am right now getting 10.4.1 from somewhere, and the update to 10.4.3 to install in my dell inspiron 710m (same as 700m). I will try to build my way up to 10.4.5 or even 10.4.7, trying to remove the video components of the updates. Unstable connection says that support for intel 8x5 was not that great anyway, but if I can get full resolution I will be happy.

Does anyone know how to do that? Was there ever a 10.4.3 to 10.4.5 update package? I cannot find it.

I will let you know about my progress on this thread or on a separate thread if we close this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Look I only have 35$ with me right now.

$15 from locahost

$20 from guiyoforward

Now I am waiting for my credit card to come, so I can verify my Paypal account, get RAC to transfer the money to PayPal. Finally the I will return it.

No the RAC idea went nowhere. I mean the goal was 600. We got 35. Anyway the project/idea is DEAD. NIL NADA NEIN, we got nothing out it. Feel free to start something else on similar lines. I will be happy to donate, if needed.

If I get any updates from Karthik, I WILL tell you, on this thread. He is on his vacations now in his hometown. He will get back to college in the first week of September, then I hope to see some drivers. Till then nothing much I can do. The RAC thing is DEAD. If you need to feel free to PM me or MSN me.

BTW: I have messed with the 915 Kexts a lot, so please donot try weird {censored} wid em, it wont work. Though if u do get it to lemme know.

thanks for the update unstable. I was thinking about some vodoo with the 915 and 830 (replacing the 830 package with the binary in 915 from 10.4.3, etc.) but I trust you that there is no way that will work ^_^

I might want to donate the 20 bucks to this project, it would save fees from you sending it back and then me sending it to the project. would you mind?

thanks

guiyoforward, I didnot get what u mean. Pls PM/email me. I prefer emails. Binary replacement, that is an interesting solution. Neva tried it.

Hope it works. Lemme know.

BTW Sorry for not responding earlier, but when it is buried 7 Pages back. It kinda gets hard to keep track of it.

I hope you got out of the mess using the 915 kexts. I have already done that to my system like 5 times. I was like coool its working. Sweeeeeet. But Nope, the logon window never came.

Could we hexedit AppleIntel830 binary like following?

1. Replace hex characters: com.apple.AppleSW / com.apple.driver.AppleIntel830

2. "com.apple.AppleSW" is 17 characters. "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel830" is 30 characters.

3. Replace jumping address: +13 / -13

Or

Could we compare binary diff between AppleIntel915 (10.4.1) and AppleIntel915 (10.4.7)?

If we find out the diff, is AppleIntel830 also acceptable?

i just bought a 9250 off ebay :(

finally a working osx86 box!!!

what is a 9250?

Could we hexedit AppleIntel830 binary like following?

1. Replace hex characters: com.apple.AppleSW / com.apple.driver.AppleIntel830

2. "com.apple.AppleSW" is 17 characters. "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel830" is 30 characters.

3. Replace jumping address: +13 / -13

Or

Could we compare binary diff between AppleIntel915 (10.4.1) and AppleIntel915 (10.4.7)?

If we find out the diff, is AppleIntel830 also acceptable?

I say you give it a shot and see. What's the worse that could happen? It may not work. With success on the other end.

what is a 9250?

I say you give it a shot and see. What's the worse that could happen? It may not work. With success on the other end.

Uhm, i know this is late but I followed some intructions from this dudes blog:

http://art5dog.com/techcast/2006/04/osx86-...working-on.html

Now, i followed the instructions but I did it for an older AppleIntel830.kext I found. For the first few reboots I got an error telling me i had an improperly installed kext and it would not be loaded. It was the AppleIntel830 kext.

Now I may be assuming here but - if it recognized something in the kext, doesn't that mean it was trying to load? Could we perhaps be close to a resolution? Ultimately It did not work. I changed some permissions and chmod'd the kext. Now I get nothing. No error Nothing.

I am on an Acer Travelmate 2303 Laptop with an 855GME Intel graphics display adapter. I wish I could provide more information but I figure something is better than nothing.

I'm new to this thread but have been working on getting osx on my Dell D400 855GME for about 3 weeks. To make a long story short I finally got 10.4.1 with the maxxuss updates working with my native resolution 1024x768 with external working, no QE or CI. I'd also be willing to donate $20 to the cause if we attempt to rent a coder again.

Uhm, i know this is late but I followed some intructions from this dudes blog:

http://art5dog.com/techcast/2006/04/osx86-...working-on.html

Now, i followed the instructions but I did it for an older AppleIntel830.kext I found. For the first few reboots I got an error telling me i had an improperly installed kext and it would not be loaded. It was the AppleIntel830 kext.

Now I may be assuming here but - if it recognized something in the kext, doesn't that mean it was trying to load? Could we perhaps be close to a resolution? Ultimately It did not work. I changed some permissions and chmod'd the kext. Now I get nothing. No error Nothing.

I am on an Acer Travelmate 2303 Laptop with an 855GME Intel graphics display adapter. I wish I could provide more information but I figure something is better than nothing.

Hi there!

No news about?

It is interesting what you came to but we nead more info about. Did that change enabled the Ci and Qe?

Ok ... soon i'l came up with some news to but 4 now i got allot of errors ... doh. I'm not a programer so :D

I'm new to this thread but have been working on getting osx on my Dell D400 855GME for about 3 weeks. To make a long story short I finally got 10.4.1 with the maxxuss updates working with my native resolution 1024x768 with external working, no QE or CI. I'd also be willing to donate $20 to the cause if we attempt to rent a coder again.

This is what you nead!

I supose you know how to go on after downloading this!

I'd also be willing to donate $20 to the cause if we attempt to rent a coder again.

Contact Unstable Connection by PM (or he will contact you).

We already have around $200, let's collect more and start another request. It is silly to return all the money now when one third is already collected.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say this ppl, but Karthik is no longer working on this driver. His main prioritys are with getting his NF4 Sata working.

I think guyioforward or Vas gave me this idea, feel free to try it.

1) The Intel900 kexts in 10.4.3 onwards are same as in 10.4.1

2) The reason it doesnot work is due to incompatibility with some other kexts

3) A possible way to get it to work is, run the system on bare minimum kexts and figure out which one causes the conflict.

Just an idea

Also who ever is willing to donate seriously, pls PM me. I will start another request if I receive enough money.

Can we ask karthick if he kindly release the source code of what he have done for the driver?

From the earlier post, he said he got it working on some 855gm systems.

If he releases the source, we may find the answer more quickly.

From Korean Hackintoshi community (where I came from), some people wants to give a try if they can take a look at the source.

The driver WAS working as far as we know and i think the work should be continued.

Unstable Connection, Can you ask him?

Sure I will ask him. But what he said, is that the driver he was working on was the OSX86 driver and to make it work, he would have to port a BSD Driver or start from scratch. Either of which will be two complex

Also from now on, please PM me. It was purely by chance, that I read this thread today.

• 2 weeks later...