It Just Works On A Mac.

gwprod12

55 posts in this topic

Yes, they certainly do. I honestly can say that I've never had a hard time with Mac peripherals. I have, though, went through alot of agrivation and frustration with my MBP & older PPC programs. I cannot get Adobe CS2 to install from a disk. The screen where the license agreement should be is just white and the language drop down is empty. I'm not denying that Macs have their issues, I'm just saying that, when it comes to hardware, Macs are far superrior to PC. Macs are a bit weak right now in the area of software, but I think it's mainly due to the hardware switch.

Just my thoughts.

Now that I think about it, Mac would have to just open their hardware up to the market to be more like PC, and that would be {censored}. There is no PC company, theres a whole bunch of them that trow together systems. A system like that would screw Apple and probobly take away from the stability of their systems.

hm. Name one peripheral, that is not specifically designed for the Mac that doesnt work on a pc.

That isn't the point. The point is with Windows, you have to install a driver for it and then watch the system scream like a child when you plug it in (i.e. "YOU PLUGGED IN A CAMERA!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH IT???")

Using the same example, the Mac just pops into iPhoto and grabs the pictures.

You completely missed the point...again.

I dont even know how to respond to that.

But from a logical point of view, I would be missing the point if I was addressing the point you're making... I'm addressing the point I'm making.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Also, if you take a Mac formatted iPod and plug it into a Windows machine, it sees the drive as corrupt and tries to "fix" it for you. Now, this fixing really means format it to FAT32. All windows could do was recognize the device as an iPod --it couldn't read, write, or even tell me the disk size.

MacDrive fixes that problem very nicely

I dont even know how to respond to that.

But from a logical point of view, I would be missing the point if I was addressing the point you're making... I'm addressing the point I'm making.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sounds like someone is running around the subject.

No... I chose the subject. "Everything Just Works On A Mac" is false.

No amount of "What it really means is that..." will change that.

If the marketting said something like "Drivers are much easier to work with on a Mac", that would be debatable, but I'd probably agree. That's not what it says.

Speaking of deceptive marketing: I watched this thing on Sunscreen yesterday. Sunscreen claims to have UVA and UVB protection. UVA causes a very fatal cancer, whereas UVB causes sunburn and some less-fatal varieties of cancer. Well, UVA protection barely works, so people who wear sunscreen, thinking they're protected from the sun actually get more harmful radiation than people who get sunburns. A sunburn is a person's natural defense against solar damage. When your sun burns, you know it's time to get under shade. If your sun doesnt burn because you're wearing a sunscreen, you're putting yourself more at risk.

So, imagine that someone had a cream, that if you put it on your hands, it would protect you from being harmed by handling really hot things. But this cream really only prevents the pain you receive when you touch something hot. Normally, one would wear potholders to protect their hands from hot stuff. But because they think that this cream will protect them, they wear it, and dont realize until it's too late that their hand is a blackened husk.

Obviously this is an over-agressive example, but deceptive advertising is bad in all forms.

I think most people would be able to handle being told something that kinda resembles the truth.

But it does kinda resemble the truth. You plug in the camera and...it...just...works. It works by already having things on there to handle it, as opposed to the Windows method of watching the system scream like a child at you. It works because it was engineered that way. Does it work 100% of the time? Of course not. Now stop being pedantic.

Back iPod's just not working...

I am to understand that one can not access the contents of an iPod from any computer? I mean, I can plug this iPod into my OSx86 box and see all the music with iTunes, but can not play any tracks, they are all 'greyed out".

Is really what is supposed to happen? Some kind of DRM?

If so, that is total {censored}... I mean, I at least want to be able to be play the music if not actually just copy the entire iPod library which is my real intention.

If iTunes can see your music, it'll let you play it also. You have to disable auto-update. To do this, go into iPod options and choose to manually manage your library. This will let you browse and play files off of your iPod on any machine that can read it.

Oh, and for the MacDrive fix for Windows, that isn't much of a help. I say this primarily because I use my iPod as an external disk --much like a flash drive, to transport files between my school and home computers. I could just upload the files or buy a tumbdrive, but why? I paid $299 for this iPod and it ought to work on anything.

This is Microsoft's issue, since it is their OS that can't read it. Go Winblows, go Gates! :gathering:

I have never heard windows scream like a child when I plug something new in...

Either Literally or Figuratively.

What it does do is Say "New device detected" and give options for either giving it a driver, or seeing if it can find it automatically.

Because microsoft doesnt include every driver for every single peripheral in existance with it's operating system (neither does Apple, though I suppose they come close), that is what crying like a child is?

Maybe microsoft should put it's operating system on a set of 2 DVDs. One DVD for Vista, and the other DVD for every conceivable driver in the known universe.

I have to admit I do get annoyed when I plug in a device and I cant find my driver cd. So, what Microsoft should do, is keep a registry of drivers, so when you plug something Windows doesnt understand in, it can locate it and install it for you.

But Apple computers do suffer from the same kind of trouble, just less so, because of the peripherals they support. They include almost any conceivable printer driver with the operating system, digital cameras and USB flash drives use generic drivers (just as they do on windows). Try plugging the Compusa Brand USB WiFi adapter into your mac tho ;-p One way or another, you're going to need a driver. Assuming one is even made for mac.

Apple does bundle better software with its computers though, that's true.

If iTunes can see your music, it'll let you play it also. You have to disable auto-update. To do this, go into iPod options and choose to manually manage your library. This will let you browse and play files off of your iPod on any machine that can read it.

Thanks, that works, but I can not say that it "just works". I mean, one should be able to do than without switching to "manual" updating.

Now want about copying the music? Does iTunes actually prevent me from doing this?

Thanks, that works, but I can not say that it "just works". I mean, one should be able to do than without switching to "manual" updating.

Now want about copying the music? Does iTunes actually prevent me from doing this?

bofors, if you want to copy the music from your ipod onto your hd on OS X use 'ipod rip'.

btw, my tv card which uses the bttv driver and my logitech 4000pro webcam dont work natively.

Speaking of Freeware... Isnt Xbench freeware? If it is, why is it bugging me to donate? is that some legalistic way it gets around the idea of shareware or forprofitware? We're not telling you you have to pay for the software, we're just going to harrass you about "donating"

:)

As far as the iPod goes, this isn't a matter of things working or not. It is a matter of default setting. Apple wrote iTunes to set every fresh iPod at auto-update because people are lazy. There are very few poeple out there who want to keep track of what song is where, hence the auto-mode. Just be greatful that Apple included the manual managment option.

When it comes to ripping, it is do-able, just not via iTunes. Apple did this to cover their own ass. The last thing they need is another lawsuit.

• 2 months later...
Oh dear, it seems that I missed the "not." Sorry about that. :D

There are plenty of peripherals that are designed for PC that don't easily work on them. In my time working with PCs, I'd have to say that about half of the USB peripherals fought me every step of the way. One good example of this is a Epson Perfection scanner I had. I installed the drivers first, as I was instructed to in the manual -no errors during install. I restarted and plugged in the scanner. The computer saw it, knew it was a scanner, but the software that same with it couldn't see it most of the time. It would see it and start up as it should sometimes, but on those times it would lock up when I tried to actually scan something. I went through the same testing procedures that I did with the iSight with no luck. It just didn't want to work.

I have a ISight on my PC and works just fine. It has never given me any trouble at all. In fact the only device I have that need drivers to work is my thumb print scanner that is it. Every usb device I have tried works on my PC. On the other hand my scanner thumb print reader joystick Nomad Jukebox thump print reader usb dvd writer DO NOT work on my real Mac Intel. Just pluging the scanner into the Mac will cause a kernel panic. My printer will work on the Mac but basic features only. It can print to printable CD/DVD's but not on the Mac Ink levels do not show up eather and that is with the manufacture drivers installed.

But what a lot of people forget is the amount of hardware there is for a PC. It is just not possible for Microsoft to provide drivers for every peace of hardware out there. The Mac has much less hardware so it is easer to provide drivers for them.

in XP its all clunky and so not a nice work flow

<rant>If you can not install a driver in XP then you should just put the f***ing computer back in the box and walk away! I use XP OSX and Linux every day and amoung the three I would pick XP everytime for hardware support. And yes I know this is a Mac forum but the constant XP and or MS slams just get old. I go to several Windows only forums and there is very few if any Mac/Apple sucks posts.</rant>