Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

is your audio cart listed in About this mac?

no ;) but it doesn't bother :D everything works. nothing else needed :)

Stellarolla has a blog!

yeah. thanks. i've read it earlier. option © is kept in mind as basic :)

bootcamp for me is a redundant functionality. i would prefer vanilla updates with no pain :)

Stellarolla has a blog!

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/22523449...-and-other-news

And that is not necessarily good news!

This is total {censored}. I've already spoken with a few running 10.6.2 on an MSI Wind, and according to all of them 10.6.2 doesn't hurt the Wind, in fact they say the update went flawlessly and it runs smoother.

Great Guide!!!!

Worked everything except for the display resolution, I can only see 800 x 600 at the left of the screen. I could solve it using SwitchResX, but I wonder why, since Vanilla 10.5.7 was installed without issues and no need for that tool.

Regards

Roberto

I had the ons MSIWind OSX86 loaded (from forums.msiwind) and now I'm loading up the version here...

However, I'm stuck on step #8 Load kexts...

I try to install the ./27ae.sh script and get this:

"This script must be run as root. Type sudo -s in to the terminal, enter your password when asked, and run the script again"

So at the -bash-3.2# prompt...I type sudo -s

and it comes back: -bash: sudo: command not found

What do I need to do?

I don't see sudo in /usr/bin or anywhere else.

I haven't had to use sudo - s (or been asked for it) for anything else in the instructions up to this point.

Thanks!

hi guys

this forum and the one over at msiwind.net (when it was still up) have been off massive help for me over the past few months not only with my advent 4211 (wind) but also with my desktop pc.

so i decided to take the plunge yesterday and upgrade to snow leopard and the install went perfect exactley as described in this tutorial, booted up followed EFI tutorial installed kext perfect everything working.

apart from the wifi.....ive got the realtek rtl8187se card and previously had this working on 10.5.8 with the utility that was going around, tried nstalling that on SL and have had the same issue that someone else previously mentioned about the signal dropping out and disconnecting every 10 secs or so

have tried googling and searching everywhere with no luck to a solution for this and it obviously dosent help with the msiwind forum being down, but does anyone here no if there is a solution for this yet?

thanks in advanace.

chris

Hi Chris,

Try this website...http://insanelywind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=135&p=839&hilit=wireless#p839

The drivers for both cards are working in SL.

Cheers!

Hi, Dalton, 18Seven, and StaticAnime,

My name was "Yuji" over at the msiwind.net forums,

I was one of the noobie testers for the EFI 100% Vanilla installation, if you remember me.

Thanks to Dalton for porting this guide over to InsanelyMac.

I have been gracefully running this setup for a while now, but its time for me to re-install Snow freshly because of various reasons.

Now I am one of the few testers who got the 800x600 with blackbar problem, although fixed with SwitchResX.

I remember somebody found out a different (more vanilla) solution to get 1024x600, back in the msiwind.net forums.

I've searched for the cache via google, but I could not find it.

Does anybody know this different solution, or have a link to the specific post??

Thanks in advance,

Yuji (eugene19)

Stellarolla has a blog!

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/22523449...-and-other-news

And that is not necessarily good news!

This is total {censored}. I've already spoken with a few running 10.6.2 on an MSI Wind, and according to all of them 10.6.2 doesn't hurt the Wind, in fact they say the update went flawlessly and it runs smoother.

Well, Stellarola himself corrected his blog entry, especially after receiving worldwide coverage!

Link to Stellarola's blog

well I didn't follow this guide (well I did but I screwed up a few times and went an easier route afterwards),

I just used a retail image, Netbookmaker & Netbookinstaller and external hd to install on my advent 4211.. Went like a breeze, everything worked except audio and ethernet, which is a quick fix with the msi wind driver pack.

Trackpad is excellent now, 2 finger scrolling and such.

Wifi didn't work but I just ordered a Dell card from China on ebay.. These things go for like $12 incl. postage.

I don't know how my install compares to the one posted here but I'd like to know!

I had the ons MSIWind OSX86 loaded (from forums.msiwind) and now I'm loading up the version here...

However, I'm stuck on step #8 Load kexts...

I try to install the ./27ae.sh script and get this:

"This script must be run as root. Type sudo -s in to the terminal, enter your password when asked, and run the script again"

So at the -bash-3.2# prompt...I type sudo -s

and it comes back: -bash: sudo: command not found

What do I need to do?

I don't see sudo in /usr/bin or anywhere else.

I haven't had to use sudo - s (or been asked for it) for anything else in the instructions up to this point.

Thanks!

So I redid the whole thing and I'm stuck here again. Any ideas what would cause this?

Do I have to copy the files mentioned in the EFI Tutorial (the Vanilla folder & the Chameleon binaries) somewhere special? I'm wondering if trying to run the scripts off the USB is causing the issue.

I still don't see sudo or su anywhere. Is the BSD subsystem not installed by default? I'm using a retail version of SL 10.6.

Any ideas? I'm starting to regret getting rid of my MSI Wind distro w/ 10.5.8 now...help!! -_-

Ok, so I did everything as in the first post was mentioned until the fourth step.

Once I boot from my 8GB SDHC card, chameleon shows up, I hit enter and the apple logo appears, but few seconds later I get a kernel panic. Something about "Unsupported CPU" and "Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies): com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(90.0.0)@0x2e71e000->0x2e735fff

Do I need some kind of special bios version, or do I have to disable some bios settings? I tried everything from deactivting SpeedStep, AHCI - first each, and then together.

Since so many of you have successfully installed SL - care to help?

BTW: I got a MSI Wind U90 (should be hardware-wise the same) with 2GB RAM, Bios-Version "EN011IMS Ver. 10E" (from 09/01/2009). I used my Snow Leopard upgrade disc for the third step.

Thanks!

10.6.2 is available. Anyone wants to try it to see if it kills the Atom? ;)

Just did..

It kills it. So DON'T INSTALL

edit:

fixed, boot from install medium and open terminal

cp "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/mach_kernel" "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/mach_kernel_10_6_2" 
cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/"

I also moved sleepenabler.kext due to something I read somewhere, not sure if it's necessary

Just did..

It kills it. So DON'T INSTALL

edit:

fixed, boot from install medium and open terminal

cp "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/mach_kernel" "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/mach_kernel_10_6_2" 
cp /mach_kernel "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/"

I also moved sleepenabler.kext due to something I read somewhere, not sure if it's necessary

maybe if we do this before restart we could boot not willing to try here...

maybe if we do this before restart we could boot not willing to try here...

actually, it's the same thing stellarolla wrote in a blog. before getting hunted...

here: http://netkas.org/?p=315 netkas confirmed atom support being discontinued and suggests waiting for a fix

p.s. the same at stellarolla's blog: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23851891...orted-in-10-6-2

I performed the update on my MSI Wind U100 in the following manner:

Initial configuration

• EFI vanilla install, 10.6.1
  • No VoodooPower.kext (makes the computer unstable)

Preparation

Installation

• Run the update. Do not reboot.
  • Move or rename the original mach_kernel, which resides in the root directory. Replace it by the patched one.
  • Replace the SleepEnabler.kext provided by the Vanilla distribution by the patched one. For this purpose, you can use the update scripts proivided by the vanilla distribution.
  • Patch the AppleIntelGMA950.kext using the 27ae.sh script provided by the vanilla distribution (I am not sure this step is necessary).
  • Reboot.

Everything seems to be working. The only thing I noticed during the boot process is FakeSMC complaining about key not found in [MSLD | CLWK] (???)

Not quite vanilla, but seems to work.

I performed the update on my MSI Wind U100 in the following manner:

thanks. I'm now on 10.6.2 board. The only tiny annoying thing is it says now under Abt this mac - Intel Core Solo o_O ... is this value injected?

update: GOT clarification from teateam - this value IS hardcoded instead of being identified. so don't worry and try to find bugs. it's a feature!

Patch the AppleIntelGMA950.kext using the 27ae.sh script provided by the vanilla distribution (I am not sure this step is necessary).

for me it WAS necessary. booting after replacing sleepenabler and kexts update without 27ae repatch results 800x600 only

UPDATE: found tricky issue with sound under 10.6.2. randomly when putting smthing to trash 'jam'-sound becomes faltering and immediately then comes kp... weird... other than that found no problems till now... (using voodoohda 2.35 with pink/fixed mic switch taken earlier from msiwind.net with no issues till 10.6.2)

1. Yes you can.

2. Dont set it to automatically set date and time. Choose your time zone and google osx/Windows time sync.

You can install Windows 7 and Im pretty sure Vista in dual boot on GPT, just not XP.

The only virtualization that works halfway decent is Virtualbox.

Yes SnowyOSX will be able to install to MBR, so dual boot will work fine.

Wow! There's So much info under this topic and it's hard to find a clear path.

I have an Msi Wind currently dual booting Leopard and XP..and I need XP, unfortunately.

I see that SnowyOSX can handle this..but can't find it. Can you point me in teh right direction for the file and instructions?

pardon if I missed it rummaging thru the forum.

Thanks!

So I redid the whole thing and I'm stuck here again. Any ideas what would cause this?

Do I have to copy the files mentioned in the EFI Tutorial (the Vanilla folder & the Chameleon binaries) somewhere special? I'm wondering if trying to run the scripts off the USB is causing the issue.

I still don't see sudo or su anywhere. Is the BSD subsystem not installed by default? I'm using a retail version of SL 10.6.

Any ideas? I'm starting to regret getting rid of my MSI Wind distro w/ 10.5.8 now...help!! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me crazy! I can't figure out what I am doing wrong that prevents me from loading the kexts that everyone else seems to be loading just fine.