Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

Hi,

Great work with this, however I think I have an issue with the graphics kexts as each time it loads after the apple logo it gives me a white screen? Even though this is happening it is logged in because I can hear it working can shut down using the keyboard etc but just get a white screen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I can get round this by booting into it using the USB stick but it is then in 800x600 resolution.

Cheers.

Ok Im not an idiot. Ive managed to install SL on my Gigabyte/i7 home computer. Now I am trying to put SL on my Msi Wind u123. My problem is I just dont really understand where to start with these tutorials.

I have some questions.

Questions-

1) Is Dalton's tutorial made to always run off of a USB drive? Or is the end result to have this running off the Wind's internal drive?

2) Is the Snow.iso he refers to a retail install dvd or a specific file to be downloaded from somewhere?

3) Are both these methods meant to be implemented within an already functioning version of SL?

4) Does anybody know is the U123's wireless card is going to work?

5) Is SnowyWind in existence or is the file Im downloading a fake?

Thanks

Well after much trial and tribulatiuon

I have a working Vanilla insstall as well as a working dual boot with windows 7!!!!

For those having trouble with dual boot you have to basically make 3 partitions

1. EFI

2. HFS+ for SL

3. Fat32

First install Win7 in doing so it will have you format fat32 to NTFS

Then follow tutorial here.

When done u should be able to boot into osx btu get error booting into windows

Boot directly off the windows install disk and goto repair disk

then run:

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition 3 [enter]

Active [enter]

It should tell you that partition 3 is now active.

Close cmd prompt and click repair windows install. It should now find the windows install and repair the boot sector (and not mess up your chameleon install).

Finally, when it restarts, boot to the windows installer one last time. You need to set the active disk to your mac install with the chameleon bootloader so go back to repair disk again

Diskpart [enter]

Select disk 0 [enter]

Select partition x [enter] with x=your osx partition (likely 2 since EFI is on 1)

Active [enter]

Then reboot and all should be working with chameleon set to boot to osx but you can boot into win7!!!

2 issues questions I have with vanilla install however:

1.why when booting into OSX do i get a messageat top of screen tellingme my hibernate image is out of sync or something.....

2. How can i change the smbios.plist so that my wind will be a macbook air not a macpro?

2 issues questions I have with vanilla install however:

1.why when booting into OSX do i get a messageat top of screen tellingme my hibernate image is out of sync or something.....

2. How can i change the smbios.plist so that my wind will be a macbook air not a macpro?

1. I think is normal, it's because Chameleon looks at your sleep-image and decides not to boot from it. But if you had put your Wind to sleep, then let the battery die, Chameleon would boot from it on the next restart.

2. It's something I mentioned on the previous page. You can make it a MacBook Air easily:

cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/smbios/
  sudo ./update.sh

On reboot, your Msi should have become a MacBook Air - not literally of course... :(

Ok Im not an idiot. Ive managed to install SL on my Gigabyte/i7 home computer. Now I am trying to put SL on my Msi Wind u123. My problem is I just dont really understand where to start with these tutorials.

I have some questions.

Questions-

1) Is Dalton's tutorial made to always run off of a USB drive? Or is the end result to have this running off the Wind's internal drive?

2) Is the Snow.iso he refers to a retail install dvd or a specific file to be downloaded from somewhere?

3) Are both these methods meant to be implemented within an already functioning version of SL?

4) Does anybody know is the U123's wireless card is going to work?

5) Is SnowyWind in existence or is the file Im downloading a fake?

Thanks

Received my U123 yesterday. Got SL already up and running today.

Didn't manage to run SnowyWindOSX Alpha from USB, try an external DVD drive. It works perfect.

Be sure you are downloading the right file: there is a difference between an earlier version of SnowyWindOSX which is an image file of the installation. The latest version (SnowyWindOSX Alpha) is an installer, which installs all you need (complete OS including drivers).

The regular U123 wireless card works without problems :).

Dalton: Thanks!!

Well something fundamentally is not correct i.e. it is not extracted (unzipped) in your downloads folder. Alternately (aka GUI way), navigate to the folder in finder and drag the i386 folder into terminal.

I had the same problem on an 8GB usb the problem was not enough room to install on the disk

Ok, here are the screen shots

First of all when i past the

cd ~/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386

I get this error:

Here

So i had to type in the commande below: it works and it's no big deal.

Here

I get the

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

error, but apparently it is normal.

But here is the problem, i'm stucked at the

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

( my disk is 0)

I get no such file or diretory.

Here

What i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Hi,

I have full working 10.6.1 with EFI partition. i only have one problem: when my battery drains it instantly power offs, i dont want that, i want it to auto sleep on battery low. i had this working before on 10.5.8 with some file/script/something, i dont remember, but since msiwind.net is down i cant find that fix..

thanks

Ok, here are the screen shots

First of all when i past the

cd ~/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386

I get this error:

Here

So i had to type in the commande below: it works and it's no big deal.

Here

I get the

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX

error, but apparently it is normal.

But here is the problem, i'm stucked at the

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

( my disk is 0)

I get no such file or diretory.

Here

What i am doing wrong?

Thanks

That fdisk command should not error. Open your downloads folder and make sure the zip file you downloaded is extracted to a folder.

Well my U123 rocks expect for wireless. Im running SnowyWind with a chameleon bootloader of 16gb memory stick.

I tries to install the Realtek driver but its asks for me to enable my WAN card. When I go to network setting I get acid-trip-beach-ball and i have to force quit.

Any ideas?

Not to get too off topic here but how does this "vanilla" install compare to my 10.5.6 that I installed on my u100 early this year. 10.5.6 has been rock solid, I have everything working except audio out.

Anyone with Snowy installed can you comment on the speed and performance compared to 10.5.6?

Thank you,

teknikk7

Not to get too off topic here but how does this "vanilla" install compare to my 10.5.6 that I installed on my u100 early this year. 10.5.6 has been rock solid, I have everything working except audio out.

Anyone with Snowy installed can you comment on the speed and performance compared to 10.5.6?

Thank you,

teknikk7

hi, the whole system runs a little bit smoother.

It boot´s up a little faster and it shuts down VERY fast.

I think it´s perfect - just do it ! make a time machine backup of your Leo installation so you can easily go back if you have problems

What i am doing wrong?

Thanks

what i see from your second sshot is you have chameleon extracted deeper than expected ;) try change directory to it exactly as stated in terminal (third 'bash' up from the bottom - where it's said i386 is a directory). the next bash-line - you have rdiskX0, rather than rdisk0

boot1h is in i386 directory, therefore you have to get to i386 first

Will time machine give me an exact clone of my hardrive or will I need to use something like super duper.

thx

just for those cases i get used (from the days i had issues with TM) to make a dmg of osx partition and then restore using disk utility from within installer. all you need after that is reinstall a bootloader

all - any info on how not to stuck with 10.6.1 due to discontinued vanilla atom support starting from 10.6.2 reported on the web?

@beland Thanks, i'll try to see, otherwise wouldn't it be easier to re-extract chameleon with an other tool, like the un-archiver, or to download it from some-where else?

i'll try what you said, but i'm not sure i got what you meant, by " try change directory to it exactly as stated in terminal".

It is as i wrote it. Or do you want me to rename the folder where i386 is as Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin and put it in download?

Thanks

Here is what i did, i placed the Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin for the stactic/download/.... in to the download folder

I used rdisk0 because rdiskX0 doesn't work. And i'm currently installing the kexts. I'll let you know.

I seems stucked on Updating kext though

Bye

Ok it run's great

Thanks for you'r support!

but i'm not sure i got what you meant

i meant to 'cd' to the i386 directory as stated in ur terminal's output line - as your mistake was you tried to run chameleon stuff as stated in a guide actually having it in a different place :) you managed it another way - putting chameleon directly to Downloads, and now the-guide-way works for you :star_smile:

enjoy!

Do you guys have issues with sond?

if this means soUnd - then no. I don't have any with voodoohda v2.35 (with fixed/pink mic switch) and hda prefpane

I was in the same situation: Wind bought when it came out, installed a real Airport card, installed Leopard using the MSiWindOSX.iso distro, updated to 10.5.6 and left it that way until... Snow 10.6.1! I couldn't be bothered installing 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 because it seemed to break more things than fix them, especially for our machines.

Then I took the plunge and went directly to the latest Snow Leo. What are the differences? It runs smoother, you get a cool feeling of running Vanilla. But the main thing to me is that when I wake my MSI from sleep, the mouse doesn't jump around like crazy for 1 minute whilst the Airport stays grey... Now, I wake it up, and within milliseconds my Airport and mouse are back - just like on a real Mac. Also, having a Synaptic trackpad, it means I get side scrollng with the Voodoo drivers - which is something I didn't have on Leopard.

So honestly, it's worth it.