Vanilla Install on MSI Wind

238 posts in this topic

Am I the only one with a RALink WLAN card going for 10.6?

No. I have Ralink RT2700E WLAN card too (says on the sticker at the bottom), but:

1) I just joined this forum

2) I read Dalton's comment:

...its a bunch of whiny b*tches who've never used a search engine in their life....

so I am now searching and searching, to avoid this stigma :)

...and I am way behind you in the installation process...

Currently, I have (on MSI Wind U-100) MSIWindowsx86 updated up to 10.5.6, which starts to bee too old (iTune 9 is very limited for iPhone, because I cannot use Safari 4, etc).

So I want to move to vanilla SL with (hopefully) easy updates in the future.

But: I have internal 500GB HD that has MBR, with several partitions:

0: The hidden WinRE that was originally provided by MSI

1: Primary: 3.9 GB, NTFS: For the Windows XP OS (my C: drive)

2: Free: 15.7 MB

3: Primary: 100GB, Apple HFS: for the OSX

4: Extended: 230 GB

5: Logical: 60.0 GB, FAT32: Data (PC)

6: Logical: 30.0 GB, Apple HFS: Data (Mac)

7: Logical: 20.0 GB, Apple HFS: Data (Mac)

8: Logical: 20.0 GB, Apple HFS: Data (Mac)

9: Logical: 100.0 GB, Apple HFS: Data (Mac)

10: Free: 51.8 GB

The boot is done with boot.ini and Chain0 in C:

I am trying to see if I can avoid reformatting the whole disk to GUID. I also don't trust Window utility programs to understand GUID perfectly. Furthermore, I think that my old G4 Mac will not read GUID too.

I am still not familiar enough with the 'new stuff':

Partition schemes: GUID (I know about MBR and Apple Partition Scheme)

EFI (is it a partition? HW? both?)

Bootloaders: Boot 321, Chameleon (I know about LILO and Grub. Are these doing similar things, hopefully better? Is Chameleon instead of Boot 321?)

Kext: I assume these are all the hardware specific drivers. Coming from Mac (since its inception, when it was 128MB), I am spoiled and used to orig HW that always worked with Mac). Probably Vanilla.zip supplies it. Here is probably where the Ralink Wi-Fi needs to be treated differently.

So here are few questions to the great Dalton (Thanks for all your guidance and pioneer work, here, and in other boards):

Question Here you say to format the USB Flash Drive as MBR, 2 partitions. Somebody else (in external website) wrote to format it as GUID, 1 partition. I saw that by doing so, there is actually an additional invisible 200MB partition called EFI. But the installer in "Chameleon 2 RC3.pkg" seems to be unable to see that EFI partition. Is it the reason you say to partition as MBR, where the partition named BOOTLOADER serve the same purpose?

Question: Can I install SL to my internal HD that uses MBR and not GUID?

Other places (such as here) talk about "Create modified OSInstall.mpkg to allow MBR installs"

If so, why do you recommend GUID over MBR?

QuestionI understand that the first post includes 2 guides: "USB installer", and "EFI Tutorial". Are those 2 alternative methods? or are both have to be performed? "USB installer" to make the installer, followed by "EFI Tutorial" to prepare the boot partition in the internal HD? If so, what's the difference between the two Chameleon versions? Isn't the first one a combination of the second one + vanila.zip ??

Well, this became a too long post, so I'll quit here and wait for some fedback.

Thanks !!!

jussy, home_bas, any hints to get win7 installing and booting after osx efi install. I tried but win apparently doesn't like EFI partition existence :(

all - I figured out (after replacing realtek wifi-card with dell 1510) that keeping MAC value actual in UUID is not absolutely necessary. I forgot, actually :D, to update it when changed a card and evrthing works like a charm with realtek's MAC in plist :)

jussy, home_bas, any hints to get win7 installing and booting after osx efi install. I tried but win apparently doesn't like EFI partition existence :P

all - I figured out (after replacing realtek wifi-card with dell 1510) that keeping MAC value actual in UUID is not absolutely necessary. I forgot, actually -_-, to update it when changed a card and evrthing works like a charm with realtek's MAC in plist :P

I could only get the dual boot to work if I created a FAT32 partition by using disk utility in the snow leopard installer, *BEFORE* I installed snow leopard. Windows7 wouldn't install on a partition I created after the install, it refused to recognise it could install to it with a GPT partition complaint. When I re-installed snow leopard and partitioned prior to install, it worked fine (after reformatting FAT32 to NTFS in Win7 installer).

Sorry - from my experience a re-install may be the only option!

Jussy - thanks very much for the drivers, I will give it another bash! :)

I could only get the dual boot to work if I created a FAT32 partition by using disk utility in the snow leopard installer, *BEFORE* I installed snow leopard.

ok, got you. thanks. will give it a shot with only not re-installing osx but restoring from dmg image of actual system state.

I don't have another mac computer, or access to one. I do however have an external DVD drive. Is it possible to do this tutorial using only an external DVD drive?

If you have an MSI Wind then you can download MSIWindosx86.iso and install it on your MSI Wind to make a functioning Mac system from which you can run the first part (USB Installer) of the tutorial.

How can I get the "snow ISO" ? It is in DVD retail version ? or snowywindosxalpha ? or ?

and how can I mount it ?

If you have an external DVD drive connected just insert the Snow Leopard retail DVD in the drive and Disk Utility will allow you to select it as the source.

You say you set up a 130gb HFS+ partition, a 30gb FAT distribution, then installed XP in the 30gb partitiion (changing it to NTFS in the process), and then went back to Dalton's Vanilla + EFI install as posted here.

Now, that procedure involves making a small 200 Mb EFI partition and an HFS+ partition.

I am curious, did you repartition the 130gb partition mentioned above at that point? Is there any reason not to set up the EFI partition when your first partition the disk so that it would look like this

EFI

HFS+

FAT (changes to NTFS during XP install)

thanks

JH

I never repartitioned the drive after I partitioned using GUID with 130GB HFS+ and 30GB NTFS. When you specify an HFS+ partition Disk Utility automatically inserts the 200MB EFI partition. Now, in order for the EFI partition to be inserted automatically you may have to use GUID, or HFS+ may have to be used for the first partition, or both. I'm not that much of an expert to say for sure.

Refer to my dual booting addendum.

If you have an MSI Wind then you can download MSIWindosx86.iso and install it on your MSI Wind to make a functioning Mac system from which you can run the first part (USB Installer) of the tutorial.

If you have an external DVD drive connected just insert the Snow Leopard retail DVD in the drive and Disk Utility will allow you to select it as the source.

I never repartitioned the drive after I partitioned using GUID with 130GB HFS+ and 30GB NTFS. When you specify an HFS+ partition Disk Utility automatically inserts the 200MB EFI partition. Now, in order for the EFI partition to be inserted automatically you may have to use GUID, or HFS+ may have to be used for the first partition, or both. I'm not that much of an expert to say for sure.

Refer to my dual booting addendum.

Partitioning with GUID partition type is what causes the EFI partition to be autocreated.

Has anyone discovered a solution to get speedstep working after sleeping yet? It works fine after initial booting but sleeping then waking causes the CPU to stick at 1600Mhz.

This worked fine previously with a Vanilla Leopard install, so I'm guessing something sleep related has changed in Snow Leopard and VoodooPower hasn't been updated to fix it yet.

This may be slightly offtopic, but with the other "Vanilla" package, there was the VoodooPS2controller kext (which is how I was able to get my doubletap touchpad working).

Has anybody noticed that the keybinding for the 'tilde' is incorrect. It gives the § and ± for normal and SHIFT respectively.

Any idea on how to correct it for a US keyboard?

Thanks to Dalton to the wonderful guide.

Running a perfect OS 10.6.1 with the given instructions.

However, i faced the same problems that Gazoo is facing, with the US keyboard binding. couldn't get the '~' key at all. Any help here?

One more thing, could anyone get the window to minimize by double tapping or double clicking the left button on the trackpad?

Thank you.

Cheers!

Thanks to Dalton to the wonderful guide.

Running a perfect OS 10.6.1 with the given instructions.

However, i faced the same problems that Gazoo is facing, with the US keyboard binding. couldn't get the '~' key at all. Any help here?

One more thing, could anyone get the window to minimize by double tapping or double clicking the left button on the trackpad?

Thank you.

Cheers!

I noticed that problem today, daft question but check in the 'Appearance' pref pane that 'Double-click a window's title bar to minimise' is checked!

I noticed that problem today, daft question but check in the 'Appearance' pref pane that 'Double-click a window's title bar to minimise' is checked!

Oh boy home_bas,

The daft one is me, i did not check that. Indeed it works now.

Thank you.

Cheers!

P.S. any clue on the keyboard?

5. Install Chameleon 2 RC3:

cd ~/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386
  fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX
  sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1
  sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI
  cd ~/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/Optional\ Extras
  cp -R Themes smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra/

Oh by the way, the smsbios.plist which is in that folder is a MacPro one, not a MacBook Air as mentioned somewhere in the thread... But the smsbios.plist which is in the Vanilla folder is the right one.

Anyone know how to setup a dualboot with Win7 after having done this installation?

Certainly not me!

I used this tutorial to install OSX SL (GUID) and all is (was) well.

I then installed Winblows 7 to a partition created by Disk Utility. I was installing from a USB key drive and the only thing I had to change with the Windows Partition whachmacallit was to reformat the Windows install partion from Fat 32 to NTFS. This is how my partition scheme looks:

Primary 200mb EFI HFS+

Primary 185gb OSX-SL HFS+

Primary 56 gb Shared Fat32

Primary 56gb Win_7 NTFS

After installing Windows, I installed Easy BCD 1.7.2, added an entry for OSX using the generic x86 PC type. I then rebooted into the Windows install disk and used CMD to set the active partition. That's where the plan goes south….

No combination of active partition / boot entries will do anything other than give me the option to boot into Windows. If I set the OSX-SL or EFI partition as active, it tells me that's theres no OS on the partition.

I tried rebooting with the OSX-SL disk and setting the OSX patron as the boot drive and I get this error message "the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk".

I'm out of ideas. The only thing I can think to do is re-install Chameleon RC2, but something tells me I should be patient and ask for help.

Where to next?

(Pardon me please, being that there are two threads on this install method I'll cross post it to the thread on Daltons Forum as well.)

Hi,

first of all THANKS Dalton - you have the perfect solution for snow :)

I want to have sleep and hibernate. I run the script with mode 3 and I have only sleep when I close my wind or by choosing sleep button after pressing the power switch or with FN F12.

how do I get the hibernate mode ? I need both - hibernate and sleep

mode 1 is working perfectly with hibernate only.

What model of Wind are you running? Sleep/Hibernate should be working. Open terminal and type:

pmset -a hibernatemode 0

rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Change the 0 to a 1 for hibernate only, or a 3 for sleep AND hibernate.

Also, open the system preferences, click on the security prefpane, and uncheck "Use Secure Virtual Memory"

I don´t run this script - is it necessary for my belongings ?

If you want Sleep on Lid Close you have two choices. One is DSDT patching. The other is ClamshellDisplay,kext. For ClamshellDisplay.kext open terminal and type:

sudo -s

cd ~/Downloads/Vanilla/SLEkext/_disabled

mv *.kext ~/Downloads/Vanilla/SLEkext/

cd ..

./update.sh

Then reboot.

thanks guys ;)

Thanks.

I'm still having a problem installing the bootloader i past

cd ~/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin/i386

but get the no such file or directory error.

What should i do? I have the bootloader file in my downloads folder.

Thanks

Well something fundamentally is not correct i.e. it is not extracted (unzipped) in your downloads folder. Alternately (aka GUI way), navigate to the folder in finder and drag the i386 folder into terminal.