[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Edit 3/26/16

Its probably not a good idea to have kexts with the same name in both /S/L/E (or /L/E) and /CLOVER/kexts since there maybe race conditions during boot where sometimes loading from the prelinked kernel/kernelcache occurs before injection from /CLOVER/kexts and vice versa ---> unpredictable results.

FWIW, I only place FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller kexts in /CLOVER/kexts while all other kexts like VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler are in /L/E.

You might like to try @Micky1979's kextstatx86 utility to determine which kexts are being loaded and from where....

Cool I wasn't aware of that tool. A race condition would explain it. I assumed the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts would load first to be able to bypass SIP and work for installers, etc. Knowing that, I wonder if maybe AppleHDA is getting called before AppleHDADisabler which is goofing things up? Would also explain why the speed stepping on graphics is missing at the same time.

Thanks!

Immo

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t have problems with 10.11.4 update on my XPS-M1330, there was with security update 2016-002 of Mavericks

I did have problems on my iMac (27” 2012 mid model).

On the XPS I got the no sound problem because I use patched AppleHDA.kext, but installing it with Kext Utility solves that.

Still, I have very low benchmark on User Interface Test compared to Mavericks 

Hi macgirl

can you upload your patched applehda please

Thanks.

Codec: SigmaTel STAC9228   Address: 0   DevID: 2206496278 (0x83847616)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie and am trying to make my first hackintosh laptop by installing OSX El Capitan on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop using Clover.

The machine spec is Dell XPS M1530 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz,2MB,800MHz FSB), 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory. It has a Dell 1505 WIFI card.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Installed OS X El Capitan installer media onto a USB stick.

2. Installed the latest version on Clover on the USB stick and customised using the options shown on the following guide  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295549-clover-config/?p=1988337

3. From the same post downloaded "El Capitan XPS M1530 Installer Files.zip" and installed the files onto the USB stick EFI partition. I assume I didn't need to install the files from 'Clover files for XPSm150.zip'. I put all the kexts in the Other folder.

4. Booted from the USB stick, partitioned/formatted laptop hard drive and installed OSX El Captain.

5. Once OSX was configured, I installed and configured clover on the laptop harddrive in the same way as based on step 2 and 3.

The graphics/resolution, wifi, keyboard/trackpad are all working.

The items which are not working are:

1. Sound

2. The battery icon is not shown in the task bar and the laptop just switches off when the battery dies :(

3. Bluetooth (I have Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module)

Any pointers on how I can the above working and how to check the kext's are getting loaded correctly?

Hi macgirl

can you upload your patched applehda please

Thanks.

Codec: SigmaTel STAC9228   Address: 0   DevID: 2206496278 (0x83847616)

Sorry, I thought I already posted it, but in this post I already uploaded:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/?p=2068869

The items which are not working are:

1. Sound

2. The battery icon is not shown in the task bar and the laptop just switches off when the battery dies :(

3. Bluetooth (I have Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module)

Any pointers on how I can the above working and how to check the kext's are getting loaded correctly?

For sound and bluetooth, install VoodooHDA and BroadcomAppleBluetooth kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E from DarwinX's 10.9.x kext pack - post#1641.

Battery requires @Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager.kext - see post#1891 for discussion.  I can't test whether its working 100% in El Capitan because my battery has long since expired and I'm running on AC power.

To check whether third party (non Apple) kexts are being loaded, type in terminal

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

You can also try @Micky1979's kextstatx86 utility which will show where the kexts are being loaded from eg /L/E, /S/L/E, EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other etc.

For sound and bluetooth, install VoodooHDA and BroadcomAppleBluetooth kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E from DarwinX's 10.9.x kext pack - post#1641.

Battery requires @Rehabman's ACPIBatteryManager.kext - see post#1891 for discussion.  I can't test whether its working 100% in El Capitan because my battery has long since expired and I'm running on AC power.

To check whether third party (non Apple) kexts are being loaded, type in terminal

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

You can also try @Micky1979's kextstatx86 utility which will show where the kexts are being loaded from eg /L/E, /S/L/E, EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other etc.

Thank you for replying fusion71au.

1. Sound is now working :)
  2. Bluetooth still doesn't work. I installed BroadcomAppleBlutooth in /S/L/E but checking with kexstatx86_utility, it doesn't seem to be loading. Is there anything else I need to do? 
  3. I installed ACPIBatteryManager and now the icon is displaying in the task bar. Unfortunately the battery percentage doesn't change (or if I unplug the power supply - it still says connected to AC power). Not sure what else I need to configure.  I assume this used to work ok in Mavericks/Yosemite? 

Hi,

I am running El Capitan 10.11.4 on my xps m1530 laptop without much trouble.

Only big problem I have is that I can't connect my iphone to my computer using USB, saying device needs more power. 

Does anybody know a solution to this?

Thanks for your help in advance!

These are my AppleHDA.kext and DSDT.aml

With these I got sound from Internal Speakers and two of the headphone plugs, Internal Mic does not work but Line In does.

Thanks macgirl

this kext support mac OS X 10.11?

Thanks macgirl

this kext support mac OS X 10.11?

It works since 10.6 or older OS Xs, I really don’t remember, this kext is what I am using since VoodooHDA or other alternatives never give sound on Speakers.

Install it with Kext Utility.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

With Apple taking so long to upgrade its MBP lines to Skylake, I thought I would spend a few dollars on hardware upgrades for the old girl :).

I then installed El Capitan 10.11.5 and Windows 10 in UEFI mode (with Clover r3526 using the same settings as in post#5).  The El Capitan USB installer was made with createinstallmedia command in terminal.

Needless to say, the upgrades made for a much more pleasant experience on OSX, significantly improving bootup times, faster opening of programs/apps and native wireless OOB on El Capitan.  You can enable trim on the SSD with either a Clover patch or the trimforce enable command in terminal.  Unfortunately, we can't exploit the full potential of the SSD since the XPS is limited to SATA II 3Gb/s and not SATA III 6Gb/s.

post-846696-0-03316700-1464427068_thumb.png

post-846696-0-62130300-1464427099_thumb.png

Notes:

• Link to ifxit repair guides for XPS M1530
  • The DW1505 has only 2 connector ports (white, black antenna cables) while the original Intel card had three (for white,grey,black antenna cables)

post-846696-0-59885800-1464426865_thumb.jpg

post-846696-0-98889100-1464426885_thumb.jpg

• Owing to the slim SSD (only 7mm vs 9.5mm standard HD), it took several goes before I was able to correctly insert the EVO 850 into the host SATA port (I had a few heart stopping moments where no drive was detected!!).
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Its that time of year again!  A new MacOS developer preview has arrived…. :)

I managed to install the first Developer Preview of MacOS Sierra 10.12 on my XPS M1530 with the latest Clover r3561 and the createinstallmedia method.

Apple has put a stumbling block in our way since the MBP5,1 SMBIOS is no longer on the supported system list for the installer.  One way you can bypass this is by temporarily using a SMBIOS that is on the officially supported list eg MacBook6,1 or MBP7,1.  This has the unfortunate side-effect of causing a kernel panic unless you delete or disable /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext.  You can keep the Appstore functioning with the MBP7,1 definition by replacing AppleYukon2 with @Rehabman's NullEthernet.kext.

Once the installer has completed putting all the OS files on the target partition for Sierra, you can boot into another OSX partition and change the SMBIOS back to MBP5,1.  Note that as a minimum, your processor must support SSE4 - Penryn and newer Intel processors OK but not Merom.

The system feels a lot like El Capitan but with the obvious addition of Siri.  Unfortunately, the DW1505/BCM94321 Airport card doesn't work in Sierra (they removed /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext) so I had to go back to my trusty old ASUS N10 USB wireless adapter.

I'm using the same kexts and settings as El Capitan.  In the post install phase, I placed VoodooHDA, AppleHDADisabler in /L/E.

post-846696-0-65104000-1465993477_thumb.png

Updates
I've attached the necessary files to this post - OSInstall MBP5,1.zip.  Assuming your USB installer is named "Installer":
  • Copy OSInstall.mpkg to /Volumes/Installer/System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy InstallableMachines.plist to /Volumes/Installer/System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy PlatformSupport.plist to /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Core Services

Successfully updated to El Capitan 10.11.6 on my main partition and macOS Sierra Public Beta2 on my "test" partition :).

To upgrade Sierra PB1 to PB2, I changed the SMBIOS in Clover's config.plist to MBP7,1 so the App Store allowed the update for a "compatible machine".  After the installer finished writing files to disk, at the first reboot, I went back into El Capitan to delete /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext on the Sierra partition, then booted back into Sierra to finish the upgrade using MBP7,1...

post-846696-0-32566200-1469095131_thumb.png

post-846696-0-69091900-1469095257_thumb.png

post-846696-0-64071800-1469095199_thumb.png

Straightforward update of Sierra PB2 to PB3_16A270f by booting with MBP7,1 SMBIOS.

Sierra PB4_16A286a and PB5_16A294a OK as above....

No problems with PB6_16A304a and PB7_16A313a

090916 MacOS Sierra GM

Updated successfully to Sierra GM 16A320 by directly running the Installer app from the Applications folder, rebooting into "macOS Install" in verbose mode with injected kexts....

post-846696-0-52583200-1473635205_thumb.png

post-846696-0-78330500-1473635250_thumb.png

post-846696-0-20850300-1473635301_thumb.png

After all the files are written to the Sierra partition, there is a final reboot into the OS proper.  You can then delete the temporary installer files from the folder /macOS Install Data.

post-846696-0-32231700-1473635400_thumb.png

OSInstall MBP5,1.zip

XPS M1530_SierraMBP7,1.zip

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @immo

I know that El Capitan needed the latest DSDT.aml + that FakeSMC from @fusion71au, but do I still need @fusion71au's Extras folders that he had here --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-95?do=findComment&comment=2169368<-- or can I ignore it? Can you list down exactly what files I need to use to get it working, and whether I need Clover or Chameleon?

Modified October 7, 2015 -> Got El Capitan running on my M1330 and loving it! fusion71au had it all figured out long before release and has put a mini install guide here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/?p=2169368

Included in his post is where to find everything you need for M1530.

MacGirl proved it can be done with M1330 just as easily. Use the latest DSDT from this first post (dated Sept 29, 2012) and FakeSMC posted by fusion71au here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/?p=2173352

fusion71au gives alternate options for how to do the install. I personally got Clover 2.3k r3270 working on my Mavericks install (I didn't like Yosemite) and installed it using the Install El Capitan app: no USB key necessary! fusion71au reports that it is also possible to do this using Chameleon Enoch F2773. Note on mine and other machines you have to manually set the BusSpeedkHz parameter in config.plist as it detects double what it should be, causing animations to go half speed and sound to stutter.  I got the number to use by taking my top speed divided by the multiplier when using Chameleon as reported by HWMonitor and then multiply by 1000 (2388/12*1000=199000). Take care when using fusion71au's guides that kexts are installed in the correct location (in bootloader folders, not /System/Library/Extensions) for installer app and vanilla USB key install methods to work. Also make sure to configure SMBios Mac model to MacBookPro5,1.

Hey @immo

I know that El Capitan needed the latest DSDT.aml + that FakeSMC from @fusion71au, but do I still need @fusion71au's Extras folders that he had here --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-95?do=findComment&comment=2169368<-- or can I ignore it? Can you list down exactly what files I need to use to get it working, and whether I need Clover or Chameleon?

You are trying to configure an M1330 as opposed to an M1530 I assume? Please put your hardware in your sig.

@fusion71au gives a couple options in that post. That Extras folder is only useful if you go the Chameleon route. I personally recommend the Clover route, in which you follow @fusion71au's Clover Config post which includes files for M1530 (referenced by the same post that includes the Extras folder).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295549-clover-config/?p=1988337

If you have an M1530, everything you need is in that Clover config post. If you have an M1330, use the FackeSMC and the latest DSDT mentioned by my first post in place of the ones in the M1530 Clover Config post.

See the discussion about CPU frequencies. You may have to configure your CPU frequency manually.

Immo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@fusion71au,

Did you upgrade to 10.11.6 and no changes to our kexts/dsdt/model MacPro5,1 or any issues since 10.11.5?  Do you on occasion see a kernel panic for no reason?  When I see it some of those times it stays on the screen long enough for me to read the dump and its definitely not kext related, just CPU.   It could have something to do with me having to many tabs open on google not sure yet.

@oSxFr33k,

Yes, El Capitan 10.11.6 running well with Clover r3650 and no changes to kexts/dsdt/config.plist_SMBIOS MBP5,1 or any issues since 10.11.5 :).  Have a look at your console logs to see if you can find the cause of your kps.

I've provided alternative files if you want to run macOS Sierra with MBP7,1 SMBIOS in post#1961.  This also works well as long as you disable/delete /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext (causes kp with MBP7,1).

• Like 1

@oSxFr33k,

Yes, El Capitan 10.11.6 running well with Clover r3650 and no changes to kexts/dsdt/config.plist_SMBIOS MBP5,1 or any issues since 10.11.5 :).  Have a look at your console logs to see if you can find the cause of your kps.

I've provided alternative files if you want to run macOS Sierra with MBP7,1 SMBIOS in post#1961.  This also works well as long as you disable/delete /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext (causes kp with MBP7,1).

Wow there is something going on.  Seeing these crashes.

7/22/16 7:26:23.248 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[514]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService

and

7/21/16 7:43:56.816 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash) The DrainMessagesOnCrash key is not yet implemented. If you rely on this key, please file a bug.

I also see many warning messages regarding the ACPIBatteryManager.

7/22/16 7:43:51.000 AM kernel[0]: ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fCurrentCapacity > fMaxCapacity. adjusted fCurrentCapacity from 7800, to 5416

I attached one of the mds_stores report.  I don't actually get a kernel panic after that crash but maybe from continuous crashes the kernel eventually panic's or nothing to do with a kernel panic?

I did a clean install on 10.11.4 crashes started then.  Are you seeing any warning messages or crashes of this nature on your device?

Crash.pdf

On El Capitan (10.11.x), do the brightness controls on the laptop keyboard work for anybody?

It hasn't been working for me since Yosemite. Does anyone know how to solve it?

With @Rehabman's ACPIBacklight.kext v3.0.4 (RehabMan-Backlight-2015-1001.zip), I get a working brightness slider in System Preferences/Display for El Capitan 10.11.6.  Not sure about keyboard control for it though...

post-846696-0-51579300-1469266938_thumb.png

Wow there is something going on.  Seeing these crashes.

I did a clean install on 10.11.4 crashes started then.  Are you seeing any warning messages or crashes of this nature on your device?

I also get warning messages like "Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs.  Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check" and "The DrainMessagesOnCrash key is not yet implemented" in my console...

post-846696-0-45188900-1469267503_thumb.png

but it doesn't seem to affect the system in any way.  I don't think these are related to your kps/reboots.  Confirm the exact time(s) when the kp occurs and then check the console messages/processes immediately before it happens.

Can't really comment on the ACPIBatteryManager warning (since my battery stopped working, I run my XPS on AC power so don't bother with a battery kext anymore) but most probably harmless. 

mds_stores is related to spotlight indexing and may cause excess CPU usage (possibly hangs & reboots?).  You can try disabling spot light indexing (google) and see if that helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, hope you are all doing good !   Great to see @fusion71au coming up with the guides for Sierra already  :thumbsup_anim: 

I didn't turn up for El Captain as my GPU (8600m GT) on 1520 did it's thing  :fiery:  

06/01/16 1:35:14.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA,Display-B: Not usable

I do still have a minor doubt on whether it was the display which gave up, but I don't have a spare display to check that. Perhaps on a later date. Anyways, as it seems my memron CPU wouldn't be compatible for Sierra I don't plan to spend money in fixing the laptop but I've run into some interesting anomaly.

I removed the GPU, display and tried to use the laptop for some Android x86 research (interestingly our X3100 GPU has good success rates with Android ) but in vain as there's no signal from VGA when the display is unplugged from GPU. Then again, it defeats the purpose as I want the integrated GPU to work.

Since, many here have got their GPU's replaced at some point can I get some info on whether anyone get their integrated GPU to output to VGA without the laptop display & NVIDIA GPU. Any pointers on this would be much appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Recently joined this forum and got El Capitan running on my Dell xps m1530 soon afterward.
(Spent 3 days on all the wrong sites before I landed on insanelymac.com).

I really really really want to give a super special thanks to fusion71au, macgirl and immo.

Your continued and detailed support for the Dell xps m1330 & m1530 is invaluable.

I did the install using clover USB boot. Fusion71au dsdt and kexts went in as smooth as butter.

I just have to get my wifi working now so I can tweak some post install stuff.

Thanks again guys and I'm really enjoying this community! ;)

• Like 3

Lol may have spoken too soon... eps went into hibernate and then kept restarting on reboot... eventually I popped the usb back in and got it to boot... It's not booting without the usb so I redone the clover boot loader for the main hdd and soon as that's done will use fusion71au disk utility v2 to copy the EFI folders... 

Well this sucks... lol Finally got everything woking except wifi which I can live without till i get a usb dongle, and then realize I can't get pages or numbers unless I go to 10.12 Sierra rofl

One of the main reasons for this project is to work on spreadsheets I would usually work on using my iPhone or iPad....

Hi @xsawgx and welcome to Insanelymac :welcomeani:

Re hibernation: hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not well supported on hackintoshes so I would recommend suspend to RAM instead...In terminal type

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

For showing the current setting, the command is

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Re compatible wifi cards - see this wifi list @OSXLatitude.

• Like 1

@Fusion71au

Thanks much. Just did it.

Not sure what the iCloud and App Store deal is. My shared notes don't appear in the app and I can get apps for free that I bought on other devices. But when I log into the iCloud through Safari, I see my shared notes, collaborate spreadsheets and even see Macbook pro in my list of devices on my account lol...

p.s. I see my wifi card Dell DW 1395 BCM4312 on the list. Thank you.