[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

Problem with voodohda and Clover

If did the upgrade to OS X 10.10 for my Dell M1530, everything works except sound.

I`v tried latest voodoohda 2.8.7 as well some older. With Chameleon sound works well, with Clover I get bad cracking sound.

Here is the latest VoodooHDA.kext version 2.8.7 with both Boost set to 0 and Vectorize set to NO in its Info.plist

This kext with the above mentioned options turned off ought to resolve your stuttering sound issue with the VoodooHDA.kext.

VoodooHDA.kext-V.2.8.7.zip

@holgix,

Personally, I have no problem with the audio using VoodooHDA (v2.8.4 or 2.8.7) booting into Yosemite 10.10.1 with Clover.  Have a look at the VoodooHDA troubleshooting guide.

However I have attached a legacy AppleHDA v1.7.4a1 (patched for the Sigmatel STAC 9228 codec) from SnowLeopard and immo's DSDT with patched HDEF section that should work for the XPS M1530.

Replace your current DSDT and AppleHDA + delete VoodooHDA & HDADisabler, repair permissions/rebuild caches + reboot (make sure you have kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag in config.plist).

@fusion71au

Thanks for the kext, with chameleon it works perfekt for me, but with clover there is still stuttering sound issue.

Do I need any special setups for clover?

Here is the latest VoodooHDA.kext version 2.8.7 with both Boost set to 0 and Vectorize set to NO in its Info.plist

This kext with the above mentioned options turned off ought to resolve your stuttering sound issue with the VoodooHDA.kext.

attachicon.gifVoodooHDA.kext-V.2.8.7.zip

@Darwin

Thank you for the voodoohda kext, but still the thame as with the applehda from fusion71au: It works with chameleon, but stuttering sound with clover. Strange!

Hi,

please I am new to install mac and need a clear installation guide of osx mavericks on dell xps m1530.

Regards,

K.abouelneel, read every post in this thread from the beginning to the end, and you will have more than enough information to accomplish what you want. Verily, I say unto you, an over abundance of information is in this thread. You have only to read and apply the knowledge contained within.

• Like 1

@holgix

I believe you're stuttering sound is a Clover and not a voodoohda issue. Clover does not recognize and automatically set the correct Bus Speed of our Merom processors. Determine the bus speed of your particular processor and use Clover Configuration to set the correct CPU Bus Speed. For my T7250 I've set a value of 181,000

• Like 1

@danofun,

I think you meant Merom :) but your explanation makes sense. 

I have a T9300 Penryn processor and don't need to change anything in my config.plist for audio.

However, T7500 and T7350 are Core 2 Duo Merom processors....

@holgix,

See this post by @Slice about incorrect FSB detected on Merom processors.  I also remember reading in Clover General Discussion that @Indiandragon had the same issue with Clover and his T7250....

• Like 1

I'm trying to install Yosemite on Dell XPS M1530, And i'm facing problems.

Here under what i did:

1- Formatted 8GB USB flash drive "Full format on a PC".

2- Partitioned the USB 1 partition GPT-Mac jornaled on a virtual Mac OSX Yosemite 

3- run the command-line file for installing Yosemite, And Yosemite installer on the Application folder.

4- Mounted the EFI volume using "EFI Mounter-v2-1.app".

5- Installed Colver v2K r2695 with Customization provided by fusion71au

After successfully installation of clover i found out that new folder in the USB named EFI-Backups folder ""I don't know why"" .... inside i found the EFI folder and boot file ..... i moved them to the root of USB.

6- I copied the config.Plist file to EFI/CLOVER folder

7- I copied the DSDT.aml to  EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder

8- I copied FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and delete 10.6-10.9 folders.   fusion71au  #1715 

Finally booted from the USB with verbose move and each time stuck here it takes much time then the screen turns off ) that's it.

aaOvJF.jpg

@k.abouelneel,

A few observations,

• It looks like FakeSMC.kext is not loading/hasn't been injected by Clover. 
  1. Did you install all the custom files including FakeSMC.kext into the EFI folder in the EFI System Partition of the USB drive?
  2. Did you press <spacebar> and get a boot with "injected kexts" option or a screen like below?

post-846696-0-35269500-1402201414_thumb.

Alternatively, you can try installing FakeSMC.kext & VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /S/L/E of the installer with Kext Wizard and boot Clover "without caches"

• The EFI-Backups folder is used by the Clover installer to backup the previous EFI folder that was in the EFI System Partition.  You don't need to move it to the /
  • Maybe try using Clover r3033 - it is quite stable.  r2795 is also a good one.

Edit

The EFI folder which Clover uses is the one in the EFI System Partition, not the EFI folder in /EFI-Backups!  Hence the config files belong there....

• Kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other not Others, config.plist--->put into EFI/CLOVER folder
    DSDT.aml--->put into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Check MD5 of your Yosemite download
MD5 (/Applications/Install OS X Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg) = 8d3187fa7699366e1723c28abd78acc8
  • Maybe try with another USB

• 5 weeks later...

Problem entering sleep-modus in Yosemite 10.10.1

Since OS X 10.10 there are Problems with sleep --> XPS M1530 reboots after some seconds entering sleep-modus.

I'm using latest Clover Rev 3113, set hibernate mode to "0", used Patched AppleRTC.kext but nothing works for me, always rebooting after some seconds going to sleep.

Any solution for this? Is this a common problem, or only a problem for my setup?

Thanks for any help/solution!

@holgix,

It is a known problem.

Have a look at post#1 and post#1717:  the reboot on invoking sleep a second time has been around since OSX 10.9.2 for the XPS M1530 :(.

If sleep is important to you, then stick with Mavericks (using regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext and 10.9.1 kernel & kexts works - see post#1701).

@fusion71au,

thanks for your fast answer, sadly no solution for the sleep-problem.  :(

10.10.1 AppleGraphicsPowerManagement Update .

Added  device id by replacing GFX0, removed IGPU section.

Two states when on power, Three states when on battery as as experimented and concluded few posts above by me and immo.

I'm using latest FakeSMC of Kozlek (HW Sensors) Branch.

and latest Nvidia web driver - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/80070/en-us

Note two graphics control kexts loaded are  :

com.apple.driver.AGPM (100.14.37) <114 89 72 71 12 5 4 3>

com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl (3.7.21) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Attached  :

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext  (V:100.14.37)

attachicon.gifAppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip

Changing the device id to your GPU device id should be enough for most of you here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello indiandragon, would this updated kext work on Mavericks, or should we stick with the older kext?

Chris

Interesting Clover fact posted by Pene in the Clover General Discussion topic:

"Now as a side note, I have seen that many people think that because their system is not UEFI and they use Clover as Legacy, they need to keep using Legacy Windows.

So in case you think that, know that it's not true - I use Windows 7/8.1 installed in UEFI mode on all my systems with CloverEFI (and the systems don't have UEFI bios).

So my main recommendation to both of you is to get rid completely of MBR, stay with a pure-GPT partition, and reinstall Windows in UEFI mode.

CloverEFI provides a full UEFI environment, and you can install Windows in UEFI mode if you boot the Windows DVD or USB through Clover, not as Legacy, but by choosing the EFI entry"

I can confirm that it is possible to install & boot UEFI Windows on our old BIOS based machines with Clover

attachicon.gifWindows EFI boot0.jpg

On a GUID partitioned external USB hard drive, I installed OSX first, then Windows Server 2012 (in "to go mode" following directions from this blog post), then the Clover bootloader into the EFI partition.  I can now dual boot OSX/Windows on the XPSm1530 through Clover (choose Microsoft boot menu and boot through bootmgrfw.efi).

attachicon.gifWindows EFI boot1.jpg

Why boot this way?

Advantages: GPT/UEFI is the way of the future and you avoid the 4 partition/2TB limit of mbr/hybrid mbr - you can have multiple recovery partitions, OSX, Linux and Windows installations in a multiboot arrangement on the same drive.

Disadvantages: Some older disk partitioning/backup programs may only work with mbr.

Edit:  I finally took the plunge and converted the hybrid mbr on my main drive to full GPT and clean installed UEFI Windows 7_X64.

Summary of Steps Installing UEFI Windows 7 X64 on internal GPT HD

1. Booted into OSX partition and used GDisk to delete the old Windows partition and convert the disk to pure GPT (by writing a protective mbr over the hybrid mbr).   Overview of GPT and man page of Gdisk.
  2. Installed Clover into the EFI partition of the HD
  3. Booted the computer with Clover from the HD, then inserted Windows 7_X64 UEFI install USB

attachicon.gifUSB UEFI menu.png

4. Choose bootx64.efi from EFI boot menu of the install USB.  Follow the prompts to install UEFI Windows into the free

space created by step 1

attachicon.gifRun bootx64.efi.png

5. After the installer has finished writing files to disk, it will automatically reboot--->remove install USB now

6. Computer will boot into the Clover screen and there will now be an internal EFI menu to choose--->select to boot

bootx64.efi.  Windows will now finalize settings and complete the install!

attachicon.gifUEFI Windows.jpg

Hello!

New to all this, but have followed a lot of instructions...

Got a legacy BIOS Dell X8300, and I followed your instructions (and this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303615-guide-install-windows-8-uefi-on-legacy-bios-with-clover-and-dual-boot-with-yosemite/) trying to get Win 7 and Yosemite dual booting under EFI.

Fine installing Yosemite, installed Clover to HD (GPT) and boot with my Windows stick (created via Rufus).  Have copied renamed bootmgfw.efi file (bootx64.efi) to efi/boot folder, but I don't have that option when Clover boots.  I just see "Boot Options for Windows on Legacy HD1".

I'm pretty stuck now - any idea how to get past this?

cheers

David

@redcoatd,

Most likely you have a setting in your config.plist that is hiding bootx64.efi.

The workaround is to copy bootmgfw.efi into the /efi/microsoft/boot folder of your Windows Installer USB (named WIN in the screenshots below).

1.  Rename cdboot.efi in WIN/efi/microsoft/boot folder to cdboot.BAK

2.  Copy bootmgfw.efi into WIN/efi/microsoft/boot

post-846696-0-42354800-1418288879_thumb.

3. Reboot the computer with the Installer USB and select "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from WIN", then press <spacebar>

post-846696-0-52813400-1418288999_thumb.

4.  Select "Run bootmgfw.efi" and then press <spacebar> ---> should now boot into the UEFI Windows Installer!

post-846696-0-34464000-1418289116_thumb.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Re sleep issues and post install on your XPS 8300 - Obviously not owning your machine, I can't provide specific help and it is really off topic in this thread.  Nevertheless, for a start, I recommend you do some extra reading....

Good luck!

@redcoatd,

Most likely you have a setting in your config.plist that is hiding bootx64.efi.

The workaround is to copy bootmgfw.efi into the /efi/microsoft/boot folder of your Windows Installer USB (named WIN in the screenshots below).

1.  Rename cdboot.efi in WIN/efi/microsoft/boot folder to cdboot.BAK

2.  Copy bootmgfw.efi into WIN/efi/microsoft/boot

post-846696-0-42354800-1418288879_thumb.

3. Reboot the computer with the Installer USB and select "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from WIN", then press <spacebar>

post-846696-0-52813400-1418288999_thumb.

4.  Select "Run bootmgfw.efi" and then press <spacebar> ---> should now boot into the UEFI Windows Installer!

post-846696-0-34464000-1418289116_thumb.

@fusion71au - you rock!

I tried numerous permutations of that, but with no success.  Thanks!!

By the way, do you have any experience turning a Dell XPS 8300 into a hackintosh, and overcoming sleep issues?

Where would I start?

cheers

David

Hello All,

Is anyone experiencing slow boot times on their XPSs? My machine takes about 1m 30s to boot to the welcome screen, then another 10s or so to load the keyboard driver. I am using the modified AppleHDA.kext and modified DSDT for the XPS1330 (the DSDT injects the HDEF).

When doing verbose on boot (-v) I can see the system waiting on sound to initialize.

Just wondering if anyone else is having some longer boot times or if it is just me.

Thanks,

Chris

FYI, to anyone who is using the MacBook Pro 5,1 profile and has incorrect CPU designation, here is what I did to fix mine.

Hold down ALT-SHIFT-G  to get a box to pop up, type /Extra/ and then click Go.

That should get you to to your Extra folder on your Hard Drive, with a file called "SMBios.plist" in it.

Double click the file and open it. File should open up in TextEdit.

YOU NEED TO SAVE A COPY FIRST - as soon as you try to edit the file, TextEdit will say the file is locked and a duplicate must be created. Go ahead and click "Duplicate" when the prompt comes up.

Scroll down to SMoemcpytype - in the "string" section below it, replace whatever is there (in my case it had 1538) with 769, which is a Core 2 Duo (correct for our rigs)

Right below <string>769</string>, you need to create two new lines.

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>2500</string>

(in this case I have a T9300 at 2.5Ghz, so I entered 2500 - enter your CPU speed here in Mhz)

Save the file on your desktop or some folder.

Copy the file to your Extra folder and overwrite what is there - make sure the file is named SMBios.plist

Run KEXT Wizard and rebuild permissions for the /Extra/ folder.

Reboot and enjoy the correct CPU identification and speed under "About this Mac"

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to report a troublefree experience with the latest updates to Yosemite and Mavericks from the App Store:

Mavericks Security Update 2015-001

Yosemite 10.10.2

post-846696-0-57561200-1422524609_thumb.png

No user intervention was required on my part and everything is still working as before on both 10.9.5 and 10.10.2 (using Clover r3094 and VoodooHDA for audio).  For the XPS M1530, invoking sleep a second time still triggers a reboot in Yosemite unfortunately....

I also installed the Windows 10 technical preview on my external USB hard drive and it works quite well in UEFI mode booted through Clover.  For those interested in trying it out, link here.

post-846696-0-17748400-1422525492_thumb.png

post-846696-0-11065700-1422525647_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hey guys, first-time poster here.  

First, I just wanted to say think you (especially to @fusion71au for his installation guide earlier in this thread).  I spent a long weekend trying to get Yosemite installed on my 2008 m1530, using a variety of different guides (and a couple different websites/bootloaders).  I had pretty much given up on it, until I found fusion71au's guide here (using Clover, the custom .DSDT, and the other files he supplied).  Anyways, I was able to get the most recent version of Yosemite up and running, with no stability issues!  I also ordered a new wifi card (using an Atheros AR9280) to replace my Intel wireless (which I found out was entirely unsupported in OS X); the Atheros was indeed plug-and-play, no kext or anything else to get it setup.  So things are looking good!

There are a few kinks I'd like to work out, and I was hoping you guys could help me here.  

1) I feel like my mouse does not move smoothly (both my UBS Logitech mouse and the trackpad are both equally bad). When you push it across the screen, it feels laggy.  I don't know if this is just an issue with my mouse, or perhaps the symptom of a greater problem with how my CPU is configured.  I suspect the latter, because of issue #2....

2) Sound.  I believe I have VoodooHDA installed correctly and I can hear playback when I launch an .mp3.  But, it is SUPER choppy and unlisten-able.

Anyways, my installation is pretty much fusion71au's guide, to the T.  Because I was able to the files from his guide, I admit I am pretty weak on how to use the Clover configurator.  I saw a post earlier about using the Clover to configure for the proper CPU speed to fix choppy sound issues....but I am not sure how exactly to do that.  My m1530 has the T9300 processor.

Anyways, if you guys have any ideas where to start with troubleshooting the laggy mouse and sound, I'd appreciate it.  I feel like I'm so close with this install....but the mouse and lack of usable sound is really killing my whole "user-friendly" OS X experience.  

Thanks in advance!

@manbear67,

What third party kexts have you installed and what versions? eg type in terminal

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

and post the results (maybe a conflict?).  Audio works well here with HDADisabler and VoodooHDA v2.8.4 or 2.8.7 installed in /S/L/E.

For the mouse/trackpad, I have tried VoodooPS2controller v1.1.0 and also v1.8.9 (for Alps in Hackintosh Vietnam Tool) and both are OK.  Have you tried adjusting the tracking and scrolling speeds in the mouse prefpane?

post-846696-0-45557700-1422832631_thumb.png

Have you installed HWSensors to monitor CPU/GPU freqencies/temps and what values are being reported?  iStat Menus v4.2.2 is also good for monitoring CPU & memory load.

post-846696-0-52494300-1423045567_thumb.png

The T9300 is a Penryn so bus speed is detected correctly and automatically - you shouldn't need to change anything from default in the config.plist. 

Result of Clover's autodetection of CPU and Bus Speed from boot log looks like below for my T9300...

$ bdmesg | grep CPU
5:440 0:000 CPU Vendor = 756E6547 Model=10676
5:440 0:000 The CPU supported turbo
5:440 0:000 BrandString = Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz
5:440 0:000 CPU: 2500 MHz
9:787 0:000 Finally: Bus=199451kHz CPU=2493MHz
9:787 0:000 AICPUPM: n
9:787 0:000 FakeCPUID: 0x0
9:974 0:000 first CPU found at 1095 offset 1098
9:974 0:000 Found ACPI CPU: CPU0 And CPU1
9:979 0:004 CPUBase=0 and ApicCPUBase=0 ApicCPUNum=2
9:979 0:000 SSDT with CPU P-States generated successfully
9:979 0:000 SSDT with CPU C-States generated successfully
5:440 0:000 CPU: 2500 MHz

Edit

Here is a link to known working kexts for the XPS M1530 courtesy of @DarwinX post#1641

Dell XPS M1530 - 01.2014 (10.8.x - 10.9.x).zip 

Install with the latest kext wizard, repair permissions, update system caches etc.

Further troubleshooting can be done by looking at error messages appearing in console if the laggy mouse/audio occurs....

Hey Guys,

I have installed Yosemite on dell XPS M1530, Bluetooth works but i can't control it  on/off  and it's not discoverable.

Is there a proper kext for that??

Install this into your System/Library/Extensions/ directory: BroadcomAppleBluetooth.kext.zip

The T9300 is a Penryn so bus speed is detected correctly and automatically - you shouldn't need to change anything from default in the config.plist.

I believe that his sound stuttering issue might be due to some incorrect settings within the VodooHDA.kext Info.plist.

Within the aforementioned Info.plist., try setting the Boost from 1 to 0 and Vectorize from YES to NO or vice versa.

• Like 1