[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I did the update to 10.11.2, also Security Update to Mavericks, in both cases I lost Sound, my modded AppleHDA.kext no longer loads in neither  :(

As always VoodooHDA only gives sound on the headphones jacks but nothing on the speakers.

kextcache shows this:

WARNING - Invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext"
WARNING - Invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext"
WARNING - Invalid signature -67061 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0B for kext "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext"

Hi @macgirl,

Did you remember to set CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 in your config.plist/RtVariables before running the update?  This will allow you to replace the native AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E with your patched one and then rebuild caches/pre-linked kernel by running Kext Utility ---> reboot.  Once everything is back up and running, you can set CsrActiveConfig back to 0x0 for maximum security.

I use VoodooHDA on my XPS M1530 so everything worked for me after the El Capitan 10.11.2 update :).

post-846696-0-81371500-1449733794_thumb.png

@Heratiki and others,

Re El Capitan,  please read the first post, post#1896 and the last few pages. 

To install El Capitan, there are many options once you have the correct Clover settings - see post#5 in the Clover Configuration thread for the XPS M1530 settings:

1.  Directly run the install app like on a real Mac :).

2.  Make a USB installer with the createinstallmedia command:  Assuming your USB is named "Installer", type the following command in terminal...

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Installer --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

then install Clover with the config.plist, DSDT, FakeSMC.kext etc from post#5 onto the USB.

3.  Make a USB installer the traditional "hackintosh" way by restoring BaseSystem.dmg, then install Clover with the correct settings onto the USB drive.

I know there are tools that supposedly make creating an installer "easier" but that does not promote understanding of how to hackintosh your machine (and what to do if things go wrong !!!).  I certainly agree with @Micky1979 that there is no need to use Voldemort's tools here :).

• Like 3

Hi @macgirl,

Did you remember to set CsrActiveConfig to 0x3 in your config.plist/RtVariables before running the update?  This will allow you to replace the native AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E with your patched one and then rebuild caches/pre-linked kernel by running Kext Utility ---> reboot.  Once everything is back up and running, you can set CsrActiveConfig back to 0x0 for maximum security.

I use VoodooHDA on my XPS M1530 so everything worked for me after the 10.11.2 update :).

Yes, CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x3, remember that VoodooHDA never worked with my XPS M1330, so something new is making a conflict with that old AppleHDA.kext

Edit: I didn’t use Kext Utility, before this update I copied the AppleHDA.kext manually and worked, just a moment ago I used KU on Mavericks but still not working.

Edit2: I did use KU on El Capitan with success, sound is back.

Edit3: I just rebuild the kext cache from El Capitan to the Mavericks partition and sound is Back.

• Like 1

Hi all.

I realized something interesting with speed stepping between Clover and Chameleon Enoch. With Clover, the lowest speed step on my machine is:

Bus Speed 200 x Multiplier 6 = 1200 MHz. and a voltage of 1V.

But with Chameleon, it seems to have an even slower speed where the bus steps down to 100MHz!

Bus Speed 100 x Multiplier 8 = 800 MHz with a voltage of 0.925V.

I cannot see how to access this speed step with Clover, especially since we are required to specify the bus frequency as 200MHz. Any idea if this is possible?

EDIT: Apparently this is a Core 2 Duo feature called SLFM (super low frequency mode). It does indeed half the bus speed when entering this state.

Immo

• Like 1

Hi all.

I realized something interesting with speed stepping between Clover and Chameleon Enoch. With Clover, the lowest speed step on my machine is:

Bus Speed 200 x Multiplier 6 = 1200 MHz. and a voltage of 1V.

But with Chameleon, it seems to have an even slower speed where the bus steps down to 100MHz!

Bus Speed 100 x Multiplier 8 = 800 MHz with a voltage of 0.925V.

I cannot see how to access this speed step with Clover, especially since we are required to specify the bus frequency as 200MHz. Any idea if this is possible?

EDIT: Apparently this is a Core 2 Duo feature called SLFM (super low frequency mode). It does indeed half the bus speed when entering this state.

Immo

Solved it! But with a caveat.

I've always used the Dell SSDTs for speed steps and never automatically generated them because the Dell ones just worked with Chameleon for years. However with Clover this is not the case. I tried editing Cover's config.plist to drop the SSDTs and generate P-States as below. Voila! 800mHz with 8x multiplier step. However, it was at 1V instead of 0.925V. This is where the UnderVoltStep comes in. I played with the values, and it turned out 8 brought the voltage down to 0.925V at 800MHz, same as Chameleon. However the top voltage drops to 1.038V from 1.138V at 2400MHz. So far it's working perfectly, which means I should be getting the same max speed with less heat and power draw! Hopefully the stability holds up.

Immo

<key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <true/>
            <key>UnderVoltStep</key>
            <string>8</string>
        </dict>
  • Like 3

@macgirl,

The rootless=0 boot flag is now obsolete - deprecated in El Capitan from DB4 onwards.

On real Macs and systems with functioning NVRAM, the "Apple way" to disable SIP is through booting into the El Capitan Recovery HD and running csrutil disable in terminal.  For our hacks and systems which don't have real NVRAM, the only way to disable System Integrity Protection aka "rootless security" is through boot loader plist settings:

Clover set CsrActiveConfig in RtVariables eg

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>0x28</string>

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>

<string>0x3</string>

</dict>

See @blackosx's post#7796 for the hex values to use to disable the various SIP levels.  In summary

• 0x67 completely disables SIP ---> default if no value is specified in the config.plist
  • 0x3 allows unsigned kexts and unrestricted file system access
  • 0x1 just allows unsigned kexts (leaves the rest of SIP intact)
  • 0x0 SIP fully enabled

In practice, for security reasons, you should leave SIP fully enabled (0x0), unless you need to install/patch kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E, or rebuild caches/prelinkedkernel eg during OSX system updates (0x3 is good for this).  After the desired changes are made and kext caches rebuilt, you can change the value back to 0x0.  Note if all your kexts are injected from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 or /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, then you can leave CsrActiveConfig at 0x0 at all times :).

Chameleon Enoch set CsrActiveConfig in org.chameleon.Boot.plist eg

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>

<string>3</string>

Note for chameleon, a decimal (instead of hex value) should be used to specify CsrActiveConfig in the o.c.b.plist.

Is 0x67 still valid in 10.11.2?   I had to create a USB injector on another laptop is this the equivalent of what you did in FakeSMC?   Were you able to get sleep/wake and shutdown to work in 10.11.2?  Do you include any new Audio?  I know someone who can create a persistent audio as Toleda and other have done using Clover and some additional files.  It places the binary patching into clover and the PatchAudio kext into /L/E/.  So far we still are using VoodooHDA?  And I am assuming we can also use ACPI battery manager?

Thanks

@oSxFr33k,

Is 0x67 still valid in 10.11.2?  Yes

I had to create a USB injector on another laptop is this the equivalent of what you did in FakeSMC?  Yes, I just used FakeSMC to inject the same properties.

Were you able to get sleep/wake and shutdown to work in 10.11.2?  For the XPSM1530, sleep/wake works for 1 cycle only since 10.9.2 to 10.11.2.  When you try to initiate sleep a second time, it will cause the system to reboot.  Shutdown remains OK.

Do you include any new Audio?  No

So far we still are using VoodooHDA?  Yes, for my purposes, VoodooHDA works acceptably for me on my XPS M1530.

And I am assuming we can also use ACPI battery manager?  I don't think it works 100% but I can't test since my original battery has long given up the ghost and I use AC power only.  See post#1891 and @elfox's posts right after...

• Like 1

Solved it! But with a caveat.

I've always used the Dell SSDTs for speed steps and never automatically generated them because the Dell ones just worked with Chameleon for years. However with Clover this is not the case. I tried editing Cover's config.plist to drop the SSDTs and generate P-States as below. Voila! 800mHz with 8x multiplier step. However, it was at 1V instead of 0.925V. This is where the UnderVoltStep comes in. I played with the values, and it turned out 8 brought the voltage down to 0.925V at 800MHz, same as Chameleon. However the top voltage drops to 1.038V from 1.138V at 2400MHz. So far it's working perfectly, which means I should be getting the same max speed with less heat and power draw! Hopefully the stability holds up.

Immo

<key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <true/>
            <key>UnderVoltStep</key>
            <string>8</string>
        </dict>

For Cstates Power Management,  ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin registering the LPC driver failing still broke in Yosemite/El Capitan?  No Fix with Clover?

Thanks

Edited:

Install of EC went very smooth and I just answered my own question it still fails.

For the CPU PM and setting in the ACPI section is this all that has to be done?  I have the 2.6GHZ Processor.

For Cstates Power Management,  ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin registering the LPC driver failing still broke in Yosemite/El Capitan?  No Fix with Clover?

Thanks

Edited:

Install of EC went very smooth and I just answered my own question it still fails.

For the CPU PM and setting in the ACPI section is this all that has to be done?  I have the 2.6GHZ Processor.

Here is my entire ACPI section. The rest came from others posting here (@fusion71au and/or @macgirl). I also included the CPU section because it is critical that you customize it correctly for your CPU. Read @fusion71au's posts on the topic of setting up your Clover config.plist. They are excellent, and give you tricks like getting iMessage to work.

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
			<key>UnderVoltStep</key>
			<string>8</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>
		<string>2400</string>
		<key>BusSpeedkHz</key>
		<string>199500</string>
	</dict>

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my entire ACPI section. The rest came from others posting here (@fusion71au and/or @macgirl). I also included the CPU section because it is critical that you customize it correctly for your CPU. Read @fusion71au's posts on the topic of setting up your Clover config.plist. They are excellent, and give you tricks like getting iMessage to work.

<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
			<key>UnderVoltStep</key>
			<string>8</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>
		<string>2400</string>
		<key>BusSpeedkHz</key>
		<string>199500</string>
	</dict>

I just thought about this, I have the 2.6GHZ model.  Not sure what value (changes) I would need to make?

I just thought about this, I have the 2.6GHZ model.  Not sure what value (changes) I would need to make?

First post latest update and the past couple of pages has everything you need. That being said, I've found a slightly more accurate way that does not require Chameleon. Search M1530 in Geekbench results to get a more accurate GHz reading (it's not exactly 2600 MHz), divide by the max multiplier and multiply by 1000 to get the bus speed. You can enter 2600 for FrequencyMHz. I believe the bus frequency will be close to 200MHz, so your multiplier is probably 13.

• Like 1

First post latest update and the past couple of pages has everything you need. That being said, I've found a slightly more accurate way that does not require Chameleon. Search M1530 in Geekbench results to get a more accurate GHz reading (it's not exactly 2600 MHz), divide by the max multiplier and multiply by 1000 to get the bus speed. You can enter 2600 for FrequencyMHz. I believe the bus frequency will be close to 200MHz, so your multiplier is probably 13.

My wife's Dell D830 GPU just died after 8 or more years running OSX latest version was mavericks.  She used it for everything she did.  I bet if it were running on windows it would not have lasted even 2 to 3 years.  I believe OSX treated the hardware well!!

She had basically the same potential GPU (Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M) related short term end of life on those G8400S Nvidia Discreet cards for Laptops.  At least her's made it beyond 8 years.  I have like four of these XPS M1530's all running fine except one I had to buy another motherboard.  She wants me to send it out to have the GPU replaced??  I told her that Ebay has some places that will either re-heat or replace them for under $300 US.  She doesn't care she wants that Laptop working again!!

Lol

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

AFAIK, the problem with having to manually specify CPU BusSpeedkHz for Clover only applies to those with Merom CPUs

I let Clover determine the values automatically for my Penryn T9300 CPU and haven't had any issues on my system with clock speed/audio etc.

FYI, Apple has released Beta 10.11.4 (15E27e) even before officially releasing 10.11.3 :P...

post-846696-0-67063500-1452679455_thumb.png

• Like 2

<dict>
		<key>Custom</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>UEFI Internal</string>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<true/>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>InjectKexts</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Other</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>bootmgr.efi</string>
		</array>

Would you know what this custom section is all about?   Can't figure out why this section was included in Clover Config.plist as we use a legacy Bios no UEFI?  I did install clover into the EFI but as legacy not UEFI.

<dict>
		<key>Custom</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>FullTitle</key>
					<string>UEFI Internal</string>
					<key>Hidden</key>
					<true/>
					<key>Ignore</key>
					<false/>
					<key>InjectKexts</key>
					<false/>
					<key>NoCaches</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>Other</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>bootmgr.efi</string>
		</array>

Would you know what this custom section is all about?   Can't figure out why this section was included in Clover Config.plist as we use a legacy Bios no UEFI?  I did install clover into the EFI but as legacy not UEFI.

Someone more knowledgeable about Clover can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Chameleon and Clover work by emulating a Mac UEFI. Even the very first Intel Mac was UEFI based.

Immo

• Like 2

The above section hides entries for /boot/bootx64.efi and Windows bootmgr.efi from appearing on the Clover main menu (so reduces the "clutter" from unnecessary EFI entries).  You can unhide hidden entries by pressing F3 at the main menu eg

essjmDT.png

Even though our machines use legacy BIOS, Clover creates a full UEFI booting environment/translation layer (Chameleon is only partial - see Clover wiki) so effectively we see all the same entries that a machine with real UEFI firmware has.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I applied Security Update 2016-002 to my Mavericks partition on the XPS-M1330 and now It can not boot  :( don't know which kext is causing this.

Also today 10.11.4 update cause my iMac to crash at boot, right now I am restoring 10.11.3 from Time Machine  :(

Yesterday I updated my Mac Pro to 10.11.3 without any issue.

I'll wait for the 10.11.4 update on my XPS until Mavericks runs without problems.

EDIT: I ran Kext Wizard from El Capitan to Mavericks partition on the XPS now works without issues.

@macgirl,

What error messages do you see when booting in verbose mode?  Safe mode work with or without caches?

I successfully updated the El Capitan partition on my XPS M1530 to 10.11.4 (Build 15E65) with the combo updater.  The process went without a hitch using Clover r3354 (set CsrActiveConfig in config.plist to 0x3 before upgrade) and VoodooHDA for audio.

@fusion71au,

There was no errors, the boot process just stop, like the disk was not recognised. 

On the iMac I didn’t have a change to take a Photo, right now I’m on 10.11.3 again, tomorrow I’ll try it again.

On the XPS 10.11.4 is on the 2nd stage of installing…

FYI MacGirl's problems do not appear to occur when simply updating from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4 on my XPS1330 using App Store, which I imagine is what most of us want to do. I had two problems with 10.11.3 that continue with 10.11.4. Sometimes the kext VoodooHDA does not load (it might even unload on it's own but I haven't been able to prove that yet), and when VoodooHDA isn't working, graphics speed stepping also does not work. When it happens the kextload command can be used to load VoodooHDA manually and sound will work, however graphics speed stepping cannot be made to work using kextload to load the patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. Both kexts are located in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11, and moving VoodooHDA into /System/Library/Extensions does not help. As always I had to patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement to get GPU power states.

Disclaimer - I only tested 10.11.4 quickly. I haven't used it for any extended period of time.

I didn’t have problems with 10.11.4 update on my XPS-M1330, there was with security update 2016-002 of Mavericks

I did have problems on my iMac (27” 2012 mid model).

On the XPS I got the no sound problem because I use patched AppleHDA.kext, but installing it with Kext Utility solves that.

Still, I have very low benchmark on User Interface Test compared to Mavericks 

• Like 1

I didn’t have problems with 10.11.4 update on my XPS-M1330, there was with security update 2016-002 of Mavericks

I did have problems on my iMac (27” 2012 mid model).

On the XPS I got the no sound problem because I use patched AppleHDA.kext, but installing it with Kext Utility solves that.

Still, I have very low benchmark on User Interface Test compared to Mavericks 

That's good you had no troubles updating to 10.11.4. I was just pointing it out for the people that check this thread to see if the next update works. Too bad about the performance issues relative to Mavericks.

@macgirl,

There was some discussion about patching AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext a while back - eg post#1795 by @laostia, post#1846 by @indiandragon.  For the 8600M GT in the XPS M1530, VendorID=10de DeviceID=0407.  For the 8400M GS in the XPS M1330, VendorID=10de DeviceID=0427.

Personally, I haven't bothered in El Capitan (running the vanilla kext here) and I still get acceptable graphics state switching and temps on my XPS M1530. 

With the system at idle/low graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=168/337MHz

post-846696-0-94549600-1458872928_thumb.png

at intermediate graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=275/550MHz

post-846696-0-61016100-1458872961_thumb.png

at high graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=475/950MHz

post-846696-0-65361900-1458872996_thumb.png

When it happens the kextload command can be used to load VoodooHDA manually and sound will work, however graphics speed stepping cannot be made to work using kextload to load the patched AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. Both kexts are located in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11, and moving VoodooHDA into /System/Library/Extensions does not help. As always I had to patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement to get GPU power states.

What is a little odd about my setup is that I actually leave the Vanilla AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E, and put the patched one in the Clover kext folder to try to keep /S/L/E vanilla

@immo,

Might be an El Capitan SIP problem since the patched kext won't load...Did you try setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x1 or 0x3?

Edit 3/26/16

Its probably not a good idea to have kexts with the same name in both /S/L/E (or /L/E) and /CLOVER/kexts since there maybe race conditions during boot where sometimes loading from the prelinked kernel/kernelcache occurs before injection from /CLOVER/kexts and vice versa ---> unpredictable results.

FWIW, I only place FakeSMC and VoodooPS2Controller kexts in /CLOVER/kexts while all other kexts like VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler are in /L/E.

You might like to try @Micky1979's kextstatx86 utility to determine which kexts are being loaded and from where....

• Like 2

@macgirl,

There was some discussion about patching AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext a while back - eg post#1795 by @laostia, post#1846 by @indiandragon.  For the 8600M GT in the XPS M1530, VendorID=10de DeviceID=0407.  For the 8400M GS in the XPS M1330, VendorID=10de DeviceID=0427.

Personally, I haven't bothered in El Capitan (running the vanilla kext here) and I still get acceptable graphics state switching and temps on my XPS M1530. 

With the system at idle/low graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=168/337MHz

attachicon.gifGPU Core 0.png

at intermediate graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=275/550MHz

attachicon.gifGPU Core 1.png

at high graphics load, GPU Core/Shader Freq=475/950MHz

attachicon.gifGPU Core 2.png

@immo,

Might be an El Capitan SIP problem since the patched kext won't load...Did you try setting CsrActiveConfig to 0x1 or 0x3?

Hi @fusion71au. Placing the kexts in the EFI folder passes this restriction anyways doesn't it? My setting is 0x17 which includes the same bits as 0x3. I need the extra bit for TotalFinder which I do not want to give up. I've tried alternatives and don't like any of them.

The interesting thing about the problem is that VoodooHDA loads sometimes and not others, with no configuration changes whatsoever. And when it doesn't, speed step also does not work. It's moody. What is a little odd about my setup is that I actually leave the Vanilla AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E, and put the patched one in the Clover kext folder to try to keep /S/L/E vanilla, and this has worked reliably for Mavericks to El Capitan until 10.11.3. I've tried everything in /S/L/E with 0x3 as you suggested but still get it not loading sometimes.

About the graphics patch, 1330 requires a patch or it will not speed step at all. I guess because there was no Mac that had an 8400 GS in it. That's cool that 1530 doesn't need it.

@macgirl, FYI the patch I use is the one posted by Ioesta in post #1800:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/190780-guide-making-a-dsdtaml-for-dell-xps-m1330-xps-m1530-and-xps-m1730/page-90?do=findComment&comment=2069624

Just use the device IDs that @fusion71au listed above.

Immo

• Like 1