ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6) with source code

dong

900 posts in this topic

Just a quick response.

Both of your logs says unidentified card. I'm sorry to say that the linux code used in the kext are somehow old. I'll check if your cards are supported in latest linux code and update the kext at a later time.

Thanks for your time.

What are you compiling from Linux's source? Thank you!

Can i like ATI-Driver-x86_64.run into unpacking than i must install Xcode than i can compiler with xcode make and make install? Or is it possible? With DarwinBuild?

Because i am using ATI Mobility Readon HD 3200 from HP Compag 615.

Do you think because i can compile with linux-source into gnu-compiler from Xcode? i must use with DarwinBuild? or Without DarwinBuild? Is it possible it works sometimes? If QE/CL / GL Accelerator ?

Thanks for supports :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite with an ATI Radeon HD 3100 running OS X 10.6.8 (iatkos -> update 10.6.8 combo 1.1)

I tried all the kext on OP but none worked for me. I can run in -s mode and manually load the kext but I only get VESA and in Display it says GPU, 3 MB, display 1024x768

HI,

I know this might be a bit offtopic. I was asking myself if this Framebuffer could be ported to support (at least) the Intel HD part of some NVidia Optimus laptops with the first generation intelHD GPUs embedded in the i3, i5 or i7 processors. It would be a great help to many of us...

Cheers,/PA

dong can you please update your kext soon

I am looking for another job currently. Sorry that I don't have the time now to play with 10.6.8 or lion.

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite with an ATI Radeon HD 3100 running OS X 10.6.8 (iatkos -> update 10.6.8 combo 1.1)

Please check my post #847.

I know this might be a bit offtopic. I was asking myself if this Framebuffer could be ported to support (at least) the Intel HD part of some NVidia Optimus laptops with the first generation intelHD GPUs embedded in the i3, i5 or i7 processors. It would be a great help to many of us...

The linux source part are for ati hardware. It will not work for intel HD. But you can always learn something from RadoenHD.h/cpp if you want to port intel linux code. Because those two files contains the interface you should implement for Mac OSX framebuffer driver.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to thank you for your work as I used this with my Gateyway NV53 with great success.

Now though I have a newer i3 with Integrated Intel Graphics ...

Theres a long Thread on it @ http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...754&st=1220

It looks like this too will require a moded/new frame buffer.

Heres a quote from oki270 there ...

Anyone get native res with similar graphics and if so how?

No it does not. And it won't happen either. No amount of injecting of EFI strings or DSDT changes will or could help. To get native resolution you need a working framebuffer. Now all of you use VESA framebuffer which will give you only VESA resolutions (Some DELL and Sony laptops have a bit different VGA BIOS which includes their native resolution for LVDS so they already in Chameleon have native res as a video-mode). Framebuffer kext for INTELHD lacks part of code that would command output PIPEs for all cards not connected to mux (yes, in MBP with intelhd output is connected to HW mux). So it will never work if someone do not rewrite this part of kext or write a new one. And that most likely won't happen.

Looking for a new challenge ;) ... if you have any ideas on this or where to go to get this moving we'd appreciate it...

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, dong! Thank's for great work!

Can you explain me please what IOgraphics property matches parameter BacklightLevel in your FB's plist?

The matter is that my LVDS panel turns on backlight by itself (i think that, because i used your advice & set 0 to BacklightLevel in plist), so it's no need to system turn it on. On the contrary, system turns off backlight.

In 10.6.7 i used ATIFramebuffer personality simply without flag FEATURE_USE_BACKLIGHT...

But in 10.5.8 i don't know what to do...

I've read your src but didn't understand what does your kext do with backlight (i mean what exactly do your kext).

I can read & understand C code but i am not near with Apple frameworks...

• 3 weeks later...

MAn, only thing I did to make my HD 4670 to function, was to install NOT using ATI´s Drivers options on the customization part. I used GEFORCE.

I Tryed MANY metods described here and NONE of them functioned.

So For an extremelly lucky coincidence, I installed on my wife´s computer, that has an Onboard GF 6150, and after that, Got the HD and put on my PC.

The system runs now on perfect 1920x1080 with QE/CI enabled, 64 bits, like a charm !!!

Worths a trial .

I am looking for another job currently. Sorry that I don't have the time now to play with 10.6.8 or lion.

Please check my post #847.

The linux source part are for ati hardware. It will not work for intel HD. But you can always learn something from RadoenHD.h/cpp if you want to port intel linux code. Because those two files contains the interface you should implement for Mac OSX framebuffer driver.

How is the future looking for ATI RADEON MOBILITY 3470?

Great job Dong!

I've been using for over a year with your driver on two laptops (acer travelmate6460 - ATI Mobility Radeon ® X1300 128 Mb now acer ferrari5005 - ATI Mobility Radeon ® X1600 256 Mb) almost no differences (x1600 slightly more powerful and more heated), for while using said two small bug!

Here's one:

VKoyR3U1.jpg

this appears at reboot and shutdown (if in the process run in the X-chart - which is a new feature Apple??? for example NEW QuickTime, 3D Desktop Aquarium, etc.).

If you just turn on and turn off the laptop, then everything is fine.

Here are two:

cursor is not correctly showing in Adobe CS tools

but the driver at this link

code.google.com

works correctly in Adobe CS5, namely correctly cursor is displayed in the tools Illustrator, Photoshop, After effects, etc.

I look forward to updating the driver.

Thank you for your work !!!!!!!

Sorry for my Googlenglish ...

Is there any hope to get it working for an ATI HD4650 ?

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Have not been here for a while and that's my first need to post something so i just passed quiz 1 and 2 lol

I had snow iatkos s3 v2 and tried every possible kext in the start page with no success on ati mobility hd 3200. Tried to edit the hwcursor, backlight, and powersave mod too but neither

worked on my asus m51tr. So, honestly that's the first time i gave up from a troubleshoot, osx has beaten me up :)

I can say i am an windows troubleshooter expert but that is not what i can say for osx... so i gave up from snow hopeing that it would be easier on 10.5.8 (leopard), btw

i also tried the two new calisto mpkg and without for snow, and updated for snow 10.6.2 version also without success. Everytime, i first edited the plist if needed, installed with kext

helper and repaired permissions somethimes with osx tools, somethimes with hdd tools to see if that changes something. The only thin i got is hang on boot screen

wih some king of desktop background picture with an apple logo that was "multiplyed" a few times over the x axis in the midle of the screen and the picture was like not sharp meaning

that it was made out of not so much pixels that is used to be. That happend on snow, now on leopard it happens the same thing, i boot into desktop background and that pic is perfect (ideneb 10.5.8) and i can tell there's a processor and hdd activity but it goes no futher, the second scenaro is a kernel panic that seems to have no kext related lines, the third scenario

is when booting with verbose in chamaleon i can see: vga (also for display family) specific matching fails. Now my question is what can i do more in the plist, what are the advanced parameters, can i put somwhere the vga and display family data which will maybe be the solution, where can i add (if possible) the vendor and card id like for the callisto driver card identification, and without all that asked what else would you try, i can tell from the postts that many hd 3200 card work well and they are well recognized.

It's almost the sixt day that i work hours on that cause i need to try final cut pro studio 3 (i know it wont install on qe/ci disabled but i know the trick)...

If there's a need for putting EDID, is there some edid database, can i use some edid of one lcd from same specification which must not necesairly be from the same asus.

Any help very much appreciated!!!

Many thanks for the good work, i would have started a tread called: "let's collect xxx $ and pay someone to compile as a full driver", that way you would make some more money

and that would be very profitable for both of us cause there would be no need to have such trouble for troubleshooting. Isn't that a nice idea :)

Anyway, your work is very "noble", thanks again!!!

Hi mac daw,

I checked your log. You have two ATI cards on your system, one is RS780, another is M82 mobility (the one you mentioned). To make RadeonHD work, you have to remove RS780 from the system or somehow disable one of the cards (maybe in BIOS setup).

The mode setting of RS780 seems work based on log, but initialization of M82 failed. I am not sure if it's a result of the interfere by RS780 or not. You have to disable one to test another.

And the log also shows you have to use versions of RadeonHD contain ATOMBIOS code, otherwise it just failed to retrieve connector information.

Dong

Thank you very much Dong! It has explained some things a lot. The connector info was something i was thinking about but have no knowledge about. Also, the M82 was something

i have thought about knowing there is only one card Mobility hd 3200 with RS780, the other does not even exist because it's a notebook. But it may be, on this notebook like on many other, in windows for instance with regular drivers there are two cards shown as radeon hd 3000 family. I think the "other" card shown is in fact a part of the main card which handles the vga and tv

output but that's only a guess cause i am not such an expert for the gpu's. In system profiler there are also two card showing one with vendor and card id of mobility hd 3200 0x1002 0x9632?

i don't remember exactly, that is a notebook i share with a friend and it's currently unavailable, the "other card" was showing in the profiler as 0x9c54 something like that as the card id, the vendor id was the same as i remember, but i must mention that this other card listed has no match with the card id of the mobility hd 3200, had no vram category listed at all and something else was missing which you usually expect in system profiler to be shown in the graphics category, so i think that this must be the same case as windows recognize this card, that there is showing the hd 3200 with it's "extension". I have not a good knowledge of osx and the way system profiler recognizes the gpu's but does that all i have wrote make sense to you? I will shurelly try the atom bios version again, is this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=59168 the latest version with atom bios? You wrote m82 is mobility but what i have read around the other rs780 you mentioned above that seems work, must be the mobility hd 3200, am i right? So, considering that this is a notebook (not shure you understood asus m51tr as notebook model or mainboard model cause i have not wrote m51tr notebook, my bad :) do the remove or disable one card advice change, i think the whole point of two card recognized is osx thinking "ati hd 3200 secondary" (which apperas almost in any ati cp in windows, primary and secondary in the resolution menu for instance, so that secondary is for tv outputs, and other non default operations) is a second card. I hope this helps you "thinking". Thank you once again, and thanks in advance for any further advice.

Happy and Lovefull Holidays!!!

Mac Daw

• 2 months later...

is there gonna be any updates on this driver.

i have aspire 5672 with ati x1400, the last radeonHD works good except for sometimes my computer will crash and i think it's because of grahics card. the console won't show any log after the crash. would it make sence for me to play with graphics power management. the problem seems to be really close to fermi freezes. whenever i have screensaver running it wont crash for hours, but when i don't have it, it will crash it very often

Ok, so I am not totally new to hacktintosh's and I try to read and learn as much as possible before asking for help but I am completely stumped and in turn am asking for anyone's assistance. Here is the issue, I can't seem to get hardware graphics enabled to function properly. I get the translucent bar at the top and can play chess but Front Row app and DVD app just crash upon opening. It's a Lenovo T60, Intel Core Duo, 1.5gig ram, 1.83 ghz processor, ATI x1300 graphics, and I'm running 10.6.7 updated from 10.6.3 retail DVD via combo update. I have modified the RadeonHD.kext and ATIRadeonX1000 kext for device ID under info.plist and I checked the RadeonHD.kext->MacOS folder->RadeonHD.info to ensure device ID 7149 was included in the binary. When I start with GraphicsEnabler=Yes the screen stays black....if graphicsenabler=No it boots fine... Any help is greatly appreciated!

ATIRadeonX1000.kext.zip

RadeonHD.kext.zip

smbios.txt

org.chameleon.Boot.txt

dsdt.rtf