Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

Same for me too. I have an ASUS 5850.

Was previously running an 8800GTX, no special drivers just with Graphics Enabler set to 'Yes'.

With the 5850 in, snow leopard wouldn't boot at first. I would get the chameleon bootloader but after selecting my drive it would just go to a black screen and the fan on the card would run at 100%. To fix this I put my 8800GTX back in, booted into SL and edited my com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder, changing Graphics Enabler from 'Yes' to 'No'.

Now it boots up fine and the fan runs at its normal speed. Only issues are the fixed res of 1400 X 1050 and no QE/QC. Overall though still very usable , just hoping for some drivers soon :blink:

Same for me too. I have an ASUS 5850.

Was previously running an 8800GTX, no special drivers just with Graphics Enabler set to 'Yes'.

With the 5850 in, snow leopard wouldn't boot at first. I would get the chameleon bootloader but after selecting my drive it would just go to a black screen and the fan on the card would run at 100%. To fix this I put my 8800GTX back in, booted into SL and edited my com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder, changing Graphics Enabler from 'Yes' to 'No'.

Now it boots up fine and the fan runs at its normal speed. Only issues are the fixed res of 1400 X 1050 and no QE/QC. Overall though still very usable , just hoping for some drivers soon :rolleyes:

Ok, my main question was whether or not someone actually got QE/QC working - which it appears not (no surprise). I have an HIS 5750 which is working fine without QE/QC but I have GE 'yes' in my .plist and a line to set the res to one of my liking. I haven't tried anything past 1366x768 or 1280x1024 though as I don't have a monitor (TV) yet to try (I have a 1080p one coming this weekend)... I'm also hoping for drivers soon...

If the 5770 is part of the same family as the 5670 presumably a universal driver will cover both; my thinking, at the moment, based on Apple's previously going with the 4670 rather than the more powerful and more expensive 4770, is that they might bypass the 5770 for something cheaper, like the 5670, whilst at the top end supporting the 5850/5870. Apple surely want to keep their iMac range affordable and a 5670 or possibly lesser card would seem to me to fit in better with their pricing structure than the 5770, unless they decide not to support 5850/5870.

So I just built an i7 with a UD5 and 5870, had enuf of waiting for support so am wondering what do u guys recommend as a 2nd card that is 'hassle free' to instal alongside the 5870 so i can just swap the cables when booting to and from OSX and win7?

I dont need anything high end for the OSX side, just something under 100 bucks I can get up and running with easily.

HD 2600 perhaps?

Dont know if this could help you, but using mactracker.app you will find the following gcards/gpus has been natively used lately:

MacPro:

• NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT,
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT,
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
  • ATI Radeon X1900 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870

iMac:

• NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - 256 MB shared
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 130
  • ATI Radeon X1600
  • ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
  • ATI Radeon HD 4670 - 256 MB GDDR3
  • ATI Radeon HD 4850 - 512 MB GDDR3

OR you could view the members profiles (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=members) to maybe find the no-standard-but-still-workable gcards out there. You would help yourself if you sorted the members by 'Total posts' and viewed 'Descending' :thumbsup_anim:

So I just built an i7 with a UD5 and 5870, had enuf of waiting for support so am wondering what do u guys recommend as a 2nd card that is 'hassle free' to instal alongside the 5870 so i can just swap the cables when booting to and from OSX and win7?

I use a second card and because of it I never boot into OSX anymore.....as soon as OSX start loading the 5870 cards fans go full bore and it is deafening.

We really need drivers to even have this card in the PC currently :(

Hi, 3 weeks ago i bought my pc and i bouth a ati 5750, and yesterday I installed 10.5.X( dont know what is the x) and all work less my ati 5750.

I'm confused, because i don't know if change my ati to a nvidia 250gts to work with L or SL or wait for a new drivers...

What do you recommend to me?

Apologise for my english, i'm writing from spain.

Hi, 3 weeks ago i bought my pc and i bouth a ati 5750, and yesterday I installed 10.5.X( dont know what is the x) and all work less my ati 5750.

I'm confused, because i don't know if change my ati to a nvidia 250gts to work with L or SL or wait for a new drivers...

What do you recommend to me?

Apologise for my english, i'm writing from spain.

the ati 5xxx series are not supported until apple will release drivers. stay with supported videocard until the ati 5xxx series are supported.

Unless someone works from Apple R&D or a Prophet is not around, no one can answer if 5xxx cards will be supported(or not) and when. I suggest that you go with the cheaper (but working) cards as buffer until 5xxx comes out, if they do go out.

So, its better that i wait for new drivers than i change the g.card...

but, how much time would have to wait?

bye