Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently bought a new PC, with a Intel i5Core on a Gigabyte P55-UD3 MB, 8 Gb Ram and a HIS RADEON HD5850. As the new Radeon is not supported I was wondering if I could use my old Radeon X1900 XT (which seems to be compatible) and put it in the second PCI Slot to use it for my Hackintosh.

I read somewhere that by using a second card, the HD5850 fan would become very loud. I am a complete noob to this and to everything related to Bios, but is it possible to switch off a PCI slot via the Bios setup ?. If yes it would be a temporary solution whenever I would use OSX, and switch again when using W7 ?

I also read somewhere that I have to take out 4 gigs of Ram during installation process ?

Thanks for any comment

So there may or may not be support for ati 5xxx in June? The Card would be a great addition to my build. till then I'll use one of the supported cards suggested and just keep checking back for an update. Thanks for all the great info.

I read somewhere that by using a second card, the HD5850 fan would become very loud. I am a complete noob to this and to everything related to Bios, but is it possible to switch off a PCI slot via the Bios setup ?. If yes it would be a temporary solution whenever I would use OSX, and switch again when using W7 ?

I have owned a fair few motherboards from various manufacturers over the years and I have yet to see such a feature. If a card is inserted it will power it up......and without drivers the fans will default to whatever the cards BIOS tells them to.

In the case of my 5870, they default to 100%.....the sound is deafening.......your card may be different, there is only one way to find out though :P

At the moment I have knocked OSX on the head and just using VMWare to run the few tasks I need in OSX......praying the drivers will be with us sooner, rather then later.......my eardrums demand it :P

I have a 5850 too and use a secondary 8800GT for OS X. Since I use AsereBLN bootloader I just set GraphicsEnabler to No in com.apple.Boot.plist and used EFI strings for the 8800GT. That way the 5850 never gets initialized in OS X.

Really annoying to mess around with the DVI/VGA cables and switch sources when dual booting though, hope there'll be drivers soon.

10.6.3 didn't add support for HD5xxx, i ran a HD5850 in my pc for playing games in windows without getting a terrible noise by my old nvidia 8600gts fan (which was spinning at 80%). And for having a card which should work for games the next 3 or more years (this is my hope ;-)). Under 10.6.3 the card only ran in VESA mode with 1440x900 but you cannot use anything that needs graphic acceleration.

Some threads spreads over maybe 50 or 60 pages - this one should be more manageable with only 3 pages though ...

Your question has been answered several times on the very same page that your question sits ...

What exactly is it in "10.6.3 didn't add support for HD5xxx" on the very first line of the answer in the post right above your question that you dont understand?

Hi everyone. I'm the owner of perfectly working 8800GT in my hack, Leo 10.5.8, with only Efi String to make it work, no GE I'm thinking of buying a HD5850, mainly for use it in Windows for my games and stuff, since I know my Leo (soon to become SL) won't be nice to the new card. I'm reading that I can leave the 8800 as a secondary card, and have no problems using it under SL, leaving the 5850 sort of inactive (by setting GE to 'not') so it doesn't brings the fan to 100% What else should I do to make it work?? Should I just install my SL with the 8800, set the Efi so everything works OK, and then pop in the 5850, without changing anything?? I have a Dell monitor with multiple inputs, so no reconnecting cables would be necessary. I'll keep one input for my ATI, one for my NV. If you can confirm that I'll get all of this running without much problem, and it will work just as "adversited", I'll be collecting my last few bucks so I can get my hands on that beauty 5850. I'll get Physx as a Plus on my Win. PD: one other thing, my mother has 2 PCIE connectors, the secondary one (the one that would get the 8800 for my MacOsX system) runs at @X4. Will it be a bandwith bottleneck that can harm my OsX performance? Thanks for all!

It seems that Apple will soon adopt the Ati 5750 in the new IMac lineup in June acording to this website

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/...on-hd-5750.aspx

June is getting closer! My new build is getting either a 5770 or 5750 (is the $30 difference worth it I wonder?), and I'm going to guess that the Pros will be inducted with the 58xx series, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, that probably won't be until Feb '11. Now to decide if I want this build to sit by it's lonesome with Win 7 until June-ish, or if I want to try and pop a 46/7xx in on the cheap to start.

Sorry to skip your post Mitalca - I have no answer to that but would like to know the same. This thread has been very helpful in preparing my new rig. My last big decision was the GPU.

I also wonder if there's a CrossfireX discussion going on here anywhere. I know it's not possible with OSX, but I'm wondering what the solutions are for dual boot Windows/OSX where the Windows side uses CrossfireX, and how to successfully (easily?) toggle CrssX off for the OSX side - ?

can't you try what I mentioned previously (only two posts before yours), and report if that is working??

to accomplish that, you should have a mother with dual PCIE connectors. And a couple of DVI inputs in your monitor would help too, but even in worst case escenario you'll go from switching cards to switching monitor cables

i

can't you try what I mentioned previously (only two posts before yours), and report if that is working??

to accomplish that, you should have a mother with dual PCIE connectors. And a couple of DVI inputs in your monitor would help too, but even in worst case escenario you'll go from switching cards to switching monitor cables

i have heard of it, but i do not have 2 pcie conectors.

i can't believe 4 months into the year and still no ati 5000 series support

I am running 10.6 retail install on my Asus with 5870 1gig gddr5 but no Quartz Extreme, vesa mode really weird lol

So June huh darn we have to wait 2 more months for a lousy driver *uck

According to reports, the current build focuses on Graphics Drivers, SMB, Time Machine backups, USB, and VoiceOver. The build does not include any further updates or enhancements.
hoping for 5800 driver :D

There is no new graphics drivers in the 10.6.4 seed. There are, however, references to some new framebuffers:

Eulemur, Gliff, Hoolock, Langur. With the exception of Gliff (can't find anything about it), they are all types of monkeys. Seems Apple is following its trend of naming framebuffers after animals (last generation was birds, Quail and Motmot are examples).

So it looks like we might be seeing graphics drivers in later seeds, or in a special build of Snow Leopard when the 5750's are introduced (and Apple did buy a huge amount of 5750's, which are assumed to go into the iMac's or Mac Pro's).

There is no new graphics drivers in the 10.6.4 seed. There are, however, references to some new framebuffers:

Eulemur, Gliff, Hoolock, Langur. With the exception of Gliff (can't find anything about it), they are all types of monkeys. Seems Apple is following its trend of naming framebuffers after animals (last generation was birds, Quail and Motmot are examples).

So it looks like we might be seeing graphics drivers in later seeds, or in a special build of Snow Leopard when the 5750's are introduced (and Apple did buy a huge amount of 5750's, which are assumed to go into the iMac's or Mac Pro's).

5700 drivers coming around June i think, But 5700 won't drive 5800 cards, totally different. From what i know anyway.

5700 drivers coming around June i think, But 5700 won't drive 5800 cards, totally different. From what i know anyway.

Well all we can hope for is that they decide to do a Mac Pro GPU refresh and put the 5850/5870 in them, like they did with the 4850/4870 last time.

Nothing new for 5xxx series !

Apple will have to pick up their gaming range of video cards because platforms like steam are hitting Mac this year and bringing a lot of producers with them.