Retail Snow Leopard on P5Q - Closest to the real Mac Pro yet!

Panther1

117 posts in this topic

Panther1,

Hey there.... I've been getting comments/questions on getting Sleep working on the P5Q.

I don't use sleep or even deep sleep. But wanted to see if you could help me or point me in the right direction to get sleep to work.

S3 is set in bios

ACPI 2 is enabled

thanks for your help!!!!!!

Peace,

IanT

thanks for the hint, but i couldn't find anything. could you be more specific about

what the guide is about / what causes the mouse lag ?

try this disabler.kext x64 install it in your s/l/e

This disables the APPLEUSERUPSTREAM.KEXT which is the problem of the lag when running iTunes or Quicktime...im installed it and it fixes my mouse lag issues, let us now if it works to you.

Hi Ian T,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't use the sleep function either on my Mac Pro. I have the same configuration as you.

I not sure what kext will get the sleep function for the P5Q.

Panther1

Panther1,

Hey there.... I've been getting comments/questions on getting Sleep working on the P5Q.

I don't use sleep or even deep sleep. But wanted to see if you could help me or point me in the right direction to get sleep to work.

S3 is set in bios

ACPI 2 is enabled

thanks for your help!!!!!!

Peace,

IanT

Here's a weird issue...

I have 4 Hard drives in my box, 1 for SL, 1 for Win7, 2 for Data. I would like to put the drives to sleep when ever possible to reduce energy consumption/heat generation. When I turn that functionality "on" in system preferences, it puts my DVD-Ram (SATA type LG Brand) to sleep and I cannot wake it up. This of course causes the system to hang if I try to activate the optical drive. I have looked on the net to try to find a fix, but it seems that there is no software out there that can control the sleep interval on each individual drive/SATA header. (Chud tools does not control individual headers & pmset seems to group all the SATA drives as well).

So after my ramblings above, might this be a hakintosh issue i.e. has anyone experienced their optical drive falling asleep (when the "put your hard drives to sleep when ever possible" box is checked in system preferences) or is it that I may have a faulty DVD drive?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Kooby

Can't boot from hdd

I manage to install my retail Snow Leopard on P5Q PRO with biosmod and installed Chameleon with all the kexts (following the guide). I use the newest BOOT-132-MARS-IanT. Everything works, USB, Firewire, QE on my Gigabyte 4850, sound and LAN but I can't boot from hdd. It hangs on FakeSMC when booting. Tried to change version of FakeSMC but no change.

Asus P5Q PRO (modified bios)

Intel Q9650

Gigabyte 4850 1GB

Corsair 8GB

HDD Intel X25 80GB SSD (disk0s2)

Optical Samsung DVD-burner (disk1s1s2)

Can you be more specific in terms of the hang you're getting on FakeSMC (e.g., screenshot, copied text from screen? Where is fakesmc.kext? /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions?

Can you give us a list of the extensions you are using?

Also, did you end up using marsbooter to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.3?

Peace,

Ian T

Can't boot from hdd

I manage to install my retail Snow Leopard on P5Q PRO with biosmod and installed Chameleon with all the kexts (following the guide). I use the newest BOOT-132-MARS-IanT. Everything works, USB, Firewire, QE on my Gigabyte 4850, sound and LAN but I can't boot from hdd. It hangs on FakeSMC when booting. Tried to change version of FakeSMC but no change.

Asus P5Q PRO (modified bios)

Intel Q9650

Gigabyte 4850 1GB

Corsair 8GB

HDD Intel X25 80GB SSD (disk0s2)

Optical Samsung DVD-burner (disk1s1s2)

Panther1,

I'll be testing the guide on an ASUS P5Q-E since I have that mobo

I will let you know the results in a day.

Peace,

IanT

I also have the P5Q-E and everything is installed and working. However, I went out and got a supported Sound Card and Network card!

Only problem i have and its not even really a problem, it has to use the cd to boot for some reason, dont know why, but without the cd, it just tries to boot forever

My hardware is as follows

nVidia 275GTX on a dell 30" monitor 2560x1600 SL installed all of the drivers.

Sound Card - Sound blaster live USB Card, installed with no problems or errors

onboard sound is disabled, onboard nics are also disabled.

hardwareguys,

The reason that it seems as though it is trying to boot forever, is because the process doesn't install a boot loader onto the hdd.

You can try using the method someone else posted under this topic, or you can visit this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189414

In the ISO image file, there's a directory in SUPPORT/MARSBOOTER, that will handle installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.3 (10.1 booter).

Please read the marsbooter guide carefully, as it tells you where to put files (kexts) and what to replace with your customized files (e.g., dsdt.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, etc.).

I don't usually use the on-board LAN, instead I opt for a gigabit PCI adapter that's based on the Realtek RTL8169S chipset, which is natively supported. It just so happens I too am using a Netgear GA311.

Take a look at the marsbooter topic found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189475

Please note, however, that the initial link has an updated marsbooter directory.

Peace,

Ian T

I also have the P5Q-E and everything is installed and working. However, I went out and got a supported Sound Card and Network card!

Only problem i have and its not even really a problem, it has to use the cd to boot for some reason, dont know why, but without the cd, it just tries to boot forever

Can you be more specific in terms of the hang you're getting on FakeSMC (e.g., screenshot, copied text from screen? Where is fakesmc.kext? /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions?

Can you give us a list of the extensions you are using?

Also, did you end up using marsbooter to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.3?

Peace,

Ian T

Thanks Ian!

I ran the new script and finally Snow boots from hdd but i lost my QE. When I put in the hex of my card and then it reboots into a blue screen but I have sound etc.. I have the Radeon HD 4850 GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i managed to do a perfect retail install using 132Mars

My system is:

P5Q-E with latest juzzi BIOS flashed and every tweak needed

Q9550

4Gb DDR2 1066 OCZ REAPER

Western Digital 150gb Sata 10.000RPM

ATI HD4870x2 2Gb

ASUS DRW-2014L1T Sata drive

I didn't disable the onboard Lan cards.

Onboard LAN cards and audio didn't work out-of-the-box but i managed to make them work easily by manually installing the kexts.

Only 2 things left and it could be a perfect Mac Pro...

First of all i wanted to know if anyone managed to make the 4870x2 work completely because mine is seen as a 4870x2 with 256Mb RAM and i can only use 1400x1050 resolution but applications like DVD Player and Front Row don't work 'cause they don't find a "valid video device".

It would be nice if anyone could help with any method (EFI string, patch, kext...)

And second thing should be easier to resolve by Ian... I tried using Marsbooter twice already but it only boots into SL correctly, it won't boot my XP partition. All i have is a black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen. The strange thing is that the 132Mars disk boots perfectly to XP until i install SL.

Would be nice to have both boot from the Chameleon Menu

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Ehh!

My system specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q - modded bios 2102 from Juzzi

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ CPU

EVGA Nvidia 8600GTS SSC 256mb PCI-e

1 x Seagate 500GB Sata II drive (Snow Leopard)

2 x Western Digital 160GB Sata II drives - 1 Time Machine backups - other misc

8GB DDR2 667 Kingston memory

Buffalo 54G PCI Wireless card

That's excellent news Bxtreme!

Please tell me ... what is the exact file you downloaded ...?

you say 2102 from Juzzi, but i can't find it ...

i used this one ...

1611_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

is it good ?

please tell me ... or if not, what is the good one ...

please supply direct link from juzzy's thread ...

I want to be able to keep the instalation of windows XP x64

BTW ... thank you for this opportunity to run mac OSx Snow Leopard on my PC ...

You rule ! :D

Later edit ...

One more thing please post a ready to use boot cd, because that cd give me bios read error ...

My Specs :

CPU e7400 2.8 core2 duo

RAM 6 gb

HDD 2 x 640 gb WD

MB: Asus P5Q

VGA: Asus 9600 GT 512 mb

DVD Dual Layer super multy ASUS

Thank you in advance

Hi all and thanks for this guide and link to the CD.

I just wanted to post to let you all know that I have just updated to 10.6.2 with full success, I was a little nervous to see if it would kill my build but it seems to work fine. I have been running this build now for over a month and it is SOLID. I did have one kernel panic but i think I provoked it. I was downloading a 4 gig file, transferring data from another computer, uploading a 2 gig file, and browsing the inter-web. I think a real Mac Pro would have crashed. :( . I am running it in full 64-bit and everything works perfect.

Asus P5Q with BIOS

Q9650 @ 3.6GHz modded

EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 (natively working perfectly)

4GB Patriot Viper 1066MHz ram running at 800MHz (1:1)

WD Raptor HD 300GB 10,000 RPM (Snow Leopard)

WD Raptor HD 300GB 10,000 RPM (XP, 7, and UBUNTU 9.04)

WD 500GB 7200 RPM

2 - DVD Samsung Burners

Multi Card Reader

On Board LAN gigabyte and Sound working perfectly

I am still booting off of the cd because i am afraid to kill my build. All software updates are working. I bought the retail snow leopard and install directly off the cd with this boot cd. It did say install failed but it still booted first try with Boot CD.

This is my most stable build yet. If anyone has a boot cd for a P5K I am trying to get that one working next.

Thanks Again Everyone for this awesome community

A

post-467648-1257815310_thumb.png

post-467648-1257815454_thumb.png

post-467648-1257815463_thumb.png

I was using 10.6.1 without any problems at all, but upgrading to .2 makes me KP in normal and safe mode.

com.apple.dsmos seems to be the offender but I can't find that when I boot into the retail CD and use the terminal try to delete or rename it.

Does that mean that I need to be worrying about my boot disc? I really don't know what I'm doing here.

Hi there!

I managed to install the retail snow leopard almost perfectly!

my hardware is:

ASUS P5Q

INTEL QUAD Q9550 2,83GHz

RAM 4Gb OCZ 1066 working at 800 MHz

GIGABYTE GeForce 9800GT 512mb

3XSATA HARD DRIVES (500snow-500data-320windows)

But i have 2 problems that maybe you could help me...

First i must tell you that i HAVE NOT install chameleon on hard disk and i use every time the boot cd.

Now the first problem is that restart-shutdown-sleep IS NOT working.(this may be solved if i install chameleon on hard drive).What is your opinion about that?

Another problem is with my dvd player(LG brand).It uses IDE connection and it IS NOT recognized by the Snow Leopard at all...i cannot use it.Does anyone knows something about that?

Also i would like to know if i can update on 10.6.2 safely...

Thank you all for reading and everyone who will reply.Sorry for my english mistakes.Regards from Greece.

I got it to work!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185701

I made sure I did these steps correctly..

This is what I did to remove the "acpi_smc_platformplugin::pushCPU_CSTData......" issue when booting through Chameleon on my leopard partition. Previously I was only able to get into OSX from the BootCD provided in this tutorial.

You will need: P5Q.zip and kexthelper from the first post by Quaza

Restating Quaza's directions:

1. Install Chameleon RC2 from the package provided in P5Q.zip

2. Download MainMenu, install it and use it to reveal hidden files.

3. Move the 'boot' file you find in your Snow Leopard partition to the trash.

4. From P5Q.zip take the 'boot' file from the RC3 folder and drop it where the old one was.

5. Now go to the root of your S.Leopard partition, click Extras, then open the Extensions folder

6. Put ALL the .kext files you got from P5Q.zip and drop them in the root\extras\extensions folder you just opened. Replace the old ones if duplicates are found.

7. Open "Kext Helper" and drag all the kext files you just put in 'root\extras\extensions' to the kext helper window.

8. Insert your snow leopard password if any, and then click on easy install.

9. Restart without BootCD and see if you can get into Snow Leopard

Hi did it, it worked except there's only 1 resolution available 1024x768, it was perfect with cd boot before. How can I fix it? Thanks

Hi there!

I managed to install the retail snow leopard almost perfectly!

my hardware is:

ASUS P5Q

INTEL QUAD Q9550 2,83GHz

RAM 4Gb OCZ 1066 working at 800 MHz

GIGABYTE GeForce 9800GT 512mb

3XSATA HARD DRIVES (500snow-500data-320windows)

But i have 2 problems that maybe you could help me...

First i must tell you that i HAVE NOT install chameleon on hard disk and i use every time the boot cd.

Now the first problem is that restart-shutdown-sleep IS NOT working.(this may be solved if i install chameleon on hard drive).What is your opinion about that?

Another problem is with my dvd player(LG brand).It uses IDE connection and it IS NOT recognized by the Snow Leopard at all...i cannot use it.Does anyone knows something about that?

Also i would like to know if i can update on 10.6.2 safely...

Thank you all for reading and everyone who will reply.Sorry for my english mistakes.Regards from Greece.

Hy ...

Download the Efi Empire Boot Disk, and on it You have a installer of Chameleon, but tweaked so it works ...

As i knew you only have to have S-ATA DVD RW to work ...

Yes you can update without a problem ... i updated and thank you is working fine ...

hardwareguys,

The reason that it seems as though it is trying to boot forever, is because the process doesn't install a boot loader onto the hdd.

You can try using the method someone else posted under this topic, or you can visit this topic:

In the ISO image file, there's a directory in SUPPORT/MARSBOOTER, that will handle installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3-r658 and Netkas' PC EFI v10.3 (10.1 booter).

Please read the marsbooter guide carefully, as it tells you where to put files (kexts) and what to replace with your customized files (e.g., dsdt.aml, com.apple.Boot.plist, smbios.plist, etc.).

I don't usually use the on-board LAN, instead I opt for a gigabit PCI adapter that's based on the Realtek RTL8169S chipset, which is natively supported. It just so happens I too am using a Netgear GA311.

Please note, however, that the initial link has an updated marsbooter directory.

Peace,

Ian T

Hi Ian I did it, it worked except there's only 1 resolution available 1024x768, it was perfect with cd boot before. How can I fix it? Thanks

RE: Boot without the boot cd

This worked for me

1. install Chameleon RC2 - install may fail but it is fine

2. install MainMenu - used to show hidden files

3. drag boot file into root drive

4. copy all files from extra into root/extra

5. use Kext Helper b7 to install kext from the extensions folder - DO NOT REBOOT YET

6. copy com.apple.boot.plist to root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

7. reboot without boot CD

note: root is the hard drive where SL is installed on

good luck

..google MainMenu and Kext Helper b7

Hi did it, it worked except there's only 1 resolution available 1024x768, it was perfect with cd boot before. How can I fix it? Thanks

Which PCIe / PCI Express / PCI X card (s) have driver support for 2560 x 1600 resolution on a Leopard or Snow Leopard?

It could be any brand. NVidia, ATI or other.

Preferably it can fit an Advanced Dock for T61.

As I understand it, I will need a full-height, half-length PCIe video card.

Please advise.

Thanks.

hardwareguys,

Peace,

Ian T

• 2 weeks later...
Hello to everyone,

Today I want to share with you my experience with installing Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q motherboard with absolutely no kernel panics whatsoever! Defaults to 64bit enabled too!

1. Obtain the modded bios for this motherboard here:

Modded Bios for P5Q

2. Download and burn the bootcd here:

SL Boot CD - Chameleon RC3

3. Boot system with bootcd and eject when menu appears

4. Insert your retail SL dvd into drive and wait a few seconds then hit F5 and it will now show Mac OSX Install Disk

5. Hit enter and it will boot up into the setup

6. Open up Disk Utility and partition your drive for SL with GUID format

7. Exit out of Disk Utility and then proceed with install picking the defaults or removing unecessary items from list

8. Once install finishes it will state that it did not install successfully (hint it really did, it just could not bless the booting of the installation with out the help of the cd)

9. Reboot system with boot cd and then arrow over to your SL install and hit enter

10. Once you are at the setup screen finish setting up your system.

11. After setting up your system you will have just a few more steps to go for your perfect retail install

12. Download the Kext Helper app here:

Kext Helper App

13. Download the VoodooHDA 64bit kext file here:

VoodooHDA 64Bit Audio driver for ALC1200

14. Install VoodooHDA kext with Kext Helper

15. Reboot system with BootCD still in drive and pick your SL install

16. Voila! At this point you can update as normal and get up to 10.6.1 without any hassles or kernel panics.

* No drivers are needed for the graphics, they are native with full Open CL 1.0 enabled!

* Time Machine works out of the box!

* The only thing missing from this near perfect retail install is a way to get the BootCD boot loader installed on the SL install. Once this is achieved, you will have the perfect Mac Pro using your retail disk unmodified!

Below are the screen shots of my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed:

Panther1, thanks for this guide!

I've successfully installed Snow Leopard (RETAIL) on my Hackintosh.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q - modded bios 2102 from Juzzi

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHZ CPU

8GB DDR2 667 Kingston memory

Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 4870 512mb PCI-e

RADEON HD 4870 is now up and running, but during the install process I've used a MSI Nvidia 7600GT 256mb PCI-e.

kext used for Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 4870 512mb (EVOenabler.kext) is attached on this message, for anybody else needing to use it (works like a charm).

Like bxtreme suggested I've installed Chameleon v2 RC3. Following Quaza's thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...185701&st=0 (part 7 of his guide)

Below you can see also some screenshots of my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (updated without any problem or kernel panic, and without copying back or modifying any kext! not even EVOenabler.kext for ATI RADEON HD 48x0!).

UPDATE: flawless running, even with VMware Fusion! (I'm a virtualization freak) Another screenshots has been added. Thanks one more time Panther1!

UPDATE 2: ALC1200 drivers for Snow Leopard 10.6.2, with SPDIF coaxial Digital Out working. Follow this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161430

EVOenabler.kex NOTE: You don't have a exactly a "Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 4870 512mb". You need to edit the kext, look for my device's string and change it (0x94401002&0x0000ffff).

EVOenabler.kext.zip

post-260311-1260418362_thumb.png

post-260311-1260418374_thumb.png

post-260311-1260418386_thumb.png

post-260311-1260418423_thumb.png