Retail Snow Leopard on P5Q - Closest to the real Mac Pro yet!

Panther1

117 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone,

Today I want to share with you my experience with installing Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q motherboard with absolutely no kernel panics whatsoever! Defaults to 64bit enabled too!

1. Obtain the modded bios for this motherboard here:

Modded Bios for P5Q

2. Download and burn the bootcd here:

SL Boot CD - Chameleon RC3

3. Boot system with bootcd and eject when menu appears

4. Insert your retail SL dvd into drive and wait a few seconds then hit F5 and it will now show Mac OSX Install Disk

5. Hit enter and it will boot up into the setup

6. Open up Disk Utility and partition your drive for SL with GUID format

7. Exit out of Disk Utility and then proceed with install picking the defaults or removing unecessary items from list

8. Once install finishes it will state that it did not install successfully (hint it really did, it just could not bless the booting of the installation with out the help of the cd)

9. Reboot system with boot cd and then arrow over to your SL install and hit enter

10. Once you are at the setup screen finish setting up your system.

11. After setting up your system you will have just a few more steps to go for your perfect retail install

12. Download the Kext Helper app here:

Kext Helper App

13. Download the VoodooHDA 64bit kext file here:

VoodooHDA 64Bit Audio driver for ALC1200

14. Install VoodooHDA kext with Kext Helper

15. Reboot system with BootCD still in drive and pick your SL install

16. Voila! At this point you can update as normal and get up to 10.6.1 without any hassles or kernel panics.

* No drivers are needed for the graphics, they are native with full Open CL 1.0 enabled!

* Time Machine works out of the box!

* The only thing missing from this near perfect retail install is a way to get the BootCD boot loader installed on the SL install. Once this is achieved, you will have the perfect Mac Pro using your retail disk unmodified!

Below are the screen shots of my Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed:

post-117186-1253058293_thumb.png

post-117186-1253058314_thumb.png

post-117186-1253058326_thumb.png

post-117186-1253058341_thumb.png

post-117186-1253058641_thumb.png

Thanks Ehh!

My system specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q - modded bios 2102 from Juzzi

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ CPU

EVGA Nvidia 8600GTS SSC 256mb PCI-e

1 x Seagate 500GB Sata II drive (Snow Leopard)

2 x Western Digital 160GB Sata II drives - 1 Time Machine backups - other misc

8GB DDR2 667 Kingston memory

Buffalo 54G PCI Wireless card

Mind listing your exact specs and hardware? Congratulations!

That's excellent news Bxtreme!

Now we just need a way to get Chameleon to boot from the Leopard Partition and not the BootCD! Everything else seems to be working fine!

I got it to work!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185701

I made sure I did these steps correctly..

This is what I did to remove the "acpi_smc_platformplugin::pushCPU_CSTData......" issue when booting through Chameleon on my leopard partition. Previously I was only able to get into OSX from the BootCD provided in this tutorial.

You will need: P5Q.zip and kexthelper from the first post by Quaza

Restating Quaza's directions:

1. Install Chameleon RC2 from the package provided in P5Q.zip

2. Download MainMenu, install it and use it to reveal hidden files.

3. Move the 'boot' file you find in your Snow Leopard partition to the trash.

4. From P5Q.zip take the 'boot' file from the RC3 folder and drop it where the old one was.

5. Now go to the root of your S.Leopard partition, click Extras, then open the Extensions folder

6. Put ALL the .kext files you got from P5Q.zip and drop them in the root\extras\extensions folder you just opened. Replace the old ones if duplicates are found.

7. Open "Kext Helper" and drag all the kext files you just put in 'root\extras\extensions' to the kext helper window.

8. Insert your snow leopard password if any, and then click on easy install.

9. Restart without BootCD and see if you can get into Snow Leopard

Thanks Ehh!

My system specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q - modded bios 2102 from Juzzi

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ CPU

EVGA Nvidia 8600GTS SSC 256mb PCI-e

1 x Seagate 500GB Sata II drive (Snow Leopard)

2 x Western Digital 160GB Sata II drives - 1 Time Machine backups - other misc

8GB DDR2 667 Kingston memory

Buffalo 54G PCI Wireless card

That's excellent news Bxtreme!

Hi Bxtreme,

I successfully got it to boot with the older menu. I wanted to get the boot menu from the boot cd. What boot menu does your SL have?

Panther1

I got it to work!

This is what I did to remove the "acpi_smc_platformplugin::pushCPU_CSTData......" issue when booting through Chameleon on my leopard partition. Previously I was only able to get into OSX from the BootCD provided in this tutorial.

4. From P5Q.zip take the 'boot' file from the RC3 folder and drop it where the old one was.

5. Now go to the root of your S.Leopard partition, click Extras, then open the Extensions folder

6. Put ALL the .kext files you got from P5Q.zip and drop them in the root\extras\extensions folder you just opened. Replace the old ones if duplicates are found.

7. Open "Kext Helper" and drag all the kext files you just put in 'root\extras\extensions' to the kext helper window.

The bootloader i have is Chameleon v2 RC3. It looks lovely! it opens at full resolution 1920 x 1200, unlike the BootCD which gives me something that looks more like 800x600 ;).. even the Apple loading screen looks better than the one I have on my macbook pro :)

i used the com.apple.boot.plist file provided by Quaza from his thread. My video settings were the same so I just left it as is.. check part 7 of his guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...185701&st=0

Hi Bxtreme,

I successfully got it to boot with the older menu. I wanted to get the boot menu from the boot cd. What boot menu does your SL have?

Panther1

by the way.. when I install Chameleon RC2 from the pkg file it says that it installed unsuccessfully.. I just ignored that and moved on.

Thanks 3mp3ror!

I used my retail dvd with this tutorial. It's the cleanest install to date that I have achieved. It only needs a few kexts after installation to make it all work but no modified images or dvds were used.

I have not managed to get the bootcd bootloader onto the SL install, but was successful with Bxtreme's info getting my SL installation to boot on it's own now with the Chameleon RC2 and RC3 from the P5Q.zip file.

Hope this helps! :P

Panther1

nice guide, I will try it on my p5q-e but first I need to know if you used a retail image or one of those custom made floating around the net.

thanks

I got it to work!

i tried,but i can't boot 64 bit kernel.on 32 all works fine.

Hi! i got my snow leopard running perfectly (with some few random freezes sometimes) i have a minor problem on my About this Mac which displays incorrect value on my cpu & ram, my cpu is 2.40ghz but it indicates 2.43ghz while my ram indicates 667mhz but im using 800mhz, any suggestion how to fix this? Thanks!

post-384072-1253576004_thumb.png

plus anyone of you tried running iLife '09? on my previous installation using SnowOSX distro caused a lot of kernel panic, not tried it yet on Retail because i don't want to mess up my installation :)

Thanks for this wonderful guide!

Panther..This Sounds like a great guide!

I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I've done a leopard install on a P5Q-EM about 6 months back and it went great - nearly 100% stable.

I was wondering whether you have had any stability issues re iLife or final cut pro (if you use it). I would like to make this my primary OS X machine and was wondering if it will be relatively problem free.

Thanks again!

Hey Kooby,

Thanks! I have not had a single kernel panic from this installation. It is rock solid! I'm getting a evaluation of Snow Leopard Server shortly and will test it out as well.

I run ILife 09 and IWork 09 flawlessly! As far as OSX is concerned, I have a real Mac Pro!

I have noticed that I too have the incorrect cpu speed listed. I do have DDR2 667 memory so that read out is correct. Also in Disk Utility its stating that the drives are external instead of internal. None the less My Mac Pro is purring like a beautiful kitten!

Panther1

Panther..This Sounds like a great guid!

I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. I've done a leopard install on a P5Q-EM about 6 months back and it went great - nearly 100% stable.

I was wondering whether you have had any stability issues re iLife or final cut pro (if you use it). I would like to make this my primary OS X machine and was wondering if it will be relatively problem free.

Thanks again!

Hi Deadpxl,

I had nothing but kernel panic after kernel panic running SnowOsX 3.5. I finally managed to get a working installation of it but wanted a more stable and clean installation. Using this retail method has produced the cleanest and stable Snow Leopard installation to date. As far as OSX is concerned, I have a real Mac Pro.

Go ahead and pull the trigger and install with this method. You won't regret it :D

Panther1

Hi! i got my snow leopard running perfectly (with some few random freezes sometimes) i have a minor problem on my About this Mac which displays incorrect value on my cpu & ram, my cpu is 2.40ghz but it indicates 2.43ghz while my ram indicates 667mhz but im using 800mhz, any suggestion how to fix this? Thanks!

plus anyone of you tried running iLife '09? on my previous installation using SnowOSX distro caused a lot of kernel panic, not tried it yet on Retail because i don't want to mess up my installation :D

Hi Yeahia Amer,

I cannot personally comment on either of these P5Q series boards as I do not own them. I can only imagine that if the differences in hardware are ever so slightly, they both should work and have the same results of a clean stable panic free installation of Snow Leopard :)

Panther1

what about the rest of P5Q series Mobs

i am thinking to buy P5Q pro or P5Q-E

plus anyone of you tried running iLife '09? on my previous installation using SnowOSX distro caused a lot of kernel panic, not tried it yet on Retail because i don't want to mess up my installation :D

deadpxl,

You can hard-code that information by editing AboutThisMac.strings. But, I do not know of a way to correct that information without hard-coding CPU and RAM info into AboutThisMac.strings.

Please note that this is only aesthetics... It doesn't change hardware values to reflect your hardware configuration.

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

Copy AboutThisMac.strings to your desktop, edit with TextEdit, and then copy back into English.lproj of loginwindow (you'll have to authenticate).

Change this to reflect CPU information:

Before:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache";

After:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "2.40 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "2.40 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo";

Chances are, it is unlikely that you have to edit the "MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS" fields, but if you want to you can -- it won't hurt anything.

Change this to reflect MEMORY information:

Before:

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@%@";

After:

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "4 GB 800 MHz DDR2";

Regards,

IanT

Hello to everyone,

Today I want to share with you my experience with installing Snow Leopard on an Asus P5Q motherboard with absolutely no kernel panics whatsoever! Defaults to 64bit enabled too!

Modded Bios for P5Q

4. Insert your retail SL dvd into drive and wait a few seconds then hit F5 and it will now show Mac OSX Install Disk

7. Exit out of Disk Utility and then proceed with install picking the defaults or removing unecessary items from list

8. Once install finishes it will state that it did not install successfully (hint it really did, it just could not bless the booting of the installation with out the help of the cd)

9. Reboot system with boot cd and then arrow over to your SL install and hit enter

11. After setting up your system you will have just a few more steps to go for your perfect retail install

Kext Helper App

16. Voila! At this point you can update as normal and get up to 10.6.1 without any hassles or kernel panics.

* No drivers are needed for the graphics, they are native with full Open CL 1.0 enabled!

* The only thing missing from this near perfect retail install is a way to get the BootCD boot loader installed on the SL install. Once this is achieved, you will have the perfect Mac Pro using your retail disk unmodified!

Panther1,

I tried using the BootCD.iso that you provided, but was unable to use a USB keyboard or mouse.

Also, I found that if I followed this method, the wireless card (Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter) that I have wouldn't show up as Airport. Now, if I used the method of installing SL using Leopard via OSInstall.mpkg, it shows up without a hitch.

I even created my own boot disc, but kept encountering a {censored} load of EBIOS errors, but it would eventually get to the boot menu, and was able to boot from the retail dvd.

Thanks,

IanT

PS. My guide is still pending, cause I'm seeing a flurry of cdboot methods based on the RC3 binaries, but you give up one thing for another. Chances are the device id for my wifi card isn't listed and just needs to be added. However, why would it work at Setup/Welcome via the OSInstall.mpkg, that's what's odd.... The OSInstall.mpkg issue with permissions can be bypassed by installing SL from within a working SL install, but that is, by all accounts, not possible for most (i've got a {censored} load of hard drives).

Hi Ian T,

I'm using a real mac pro keyboard (slim) and Apple Pro mouse. Not sure why your usb keyboard and mouse are not recognized. As far as the Netgear 311 card goes, I have always found that the Broadcom based nic cards work as native airport cards. Not sure what the chipset is on the Netgear 311 series.

An excellent piece of advise to Deadpxl! This is exactly what I have envisioned this tutorial would be, a collaboration of Mac Enthusiasts enjoying the benefits of being Mac!

Panther1

deadpxl,

You can hard-code that information by editing AboutThisMac.strings. But, I do not know of a way to correct that information without hard-coding CPU and RAM info into AboutThisMac.strings.

Please note that this is only aesthetics... It doesn't change hardware values to reflect your hardware configuration.

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

Copy AboutThisMac.strings to your desktop, edit with TextEdit, and then copy back into English.lproj of loginwindow (you'll have to authenticate).

Change this to reflect CPU information:

Before:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache";

After:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "2.40 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo";

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "2.40 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo";

Chances are, it is unlikely that you have to edit the "MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS" fields, but if you want to you can -- it won't hurt anything.

Change this to reflect MEMORY information:

Before:

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@%@";

After:

"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "4 GB 800 MHz DDR2";

Regards,

IanT

Panther1,

I tried using the BootCD.iso that you provided, but was unable to use a USB keyboard or mouse.

Also, I found that if I followed this method, the wireless card (Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter) that I have wouldn't show up as Airport. Now, if I used the method of installing SL using Leopard via OSInstall.mpkg, it shows up without a hitch.

I even created my own boot disc, but kept encountering a {censored} load of EBIOS errors, but it would eventually get to the boot menu, and was able to boot from the retail dvd.

Thanks,

IanT

PS. My guide is still pending, cause I'm seeing a flurry of cdboot methods based on the RC3 binaries, but you give up one thing for another. Chances are the device id for my wifi card isn't listed and just needs to be added. However, why would it work at Setup/Welcome via the OSInstall.mpkg, that's what's odd.... The OSInstall.mpkg issue with permissions can be bypassed by installing SL from within a working SL install, but that is, by all accounts, not possible for most (i've got a {censored} load of hard drives).

I don't get very far here (stage 5).

The installer gets to:

** AppleSMBusPCI::start failoed to get acpi path for provider

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered

DSMOS arrived

ACPI_SMC_platformplgin?::start -waitforService(ResourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out.

Modded bios 2102 on P5Q Pro... any ideas?

Retail Snow Leopard on ASUS P5Q

*UPDATED*

2009-09-28 @ 1:38AM PST: I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =) No more, "Install Failed," ONLY "Install Succeeded"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For those of you who are non-believers, I do have a video I can put up. :P

2009-09-27: For some reason, it seems as though a bad copy of my boot-132-mars disc, proved to be the one that allowed normal installation, without displaying "Install Failed" or the creation of the "Mac OS X Install Data" folder. I'm going back and double-checking everything. And will update you all. The guide will be released once I find the problem/error that allowed it to install SL without any problems!" Unfortunately, I have burned a number of boot-132-mars discs and its variations without, stupid me, labeling any of them!

Panther1,

Some great news!

First, I've managed to create a working boot-132 disc based on dfe, BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY, f41qu3, Superhai, and noob766.

I was able to boot the Retail Snow Leopard Installation DVD with Netkas' 10.1 boot file (PC EFI v10.3).

Installation took about 20 minutes, and it restarted on its own. It did not display "Install failed." It actually restarted after however many seconds; like 15/25?.

Second, I've managed to isolate and identify the reason why the Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter was not working. It turns out that /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros.kext is not 64-bit, therefore it wouldn't load while in 64-bit mode. I've been researching it up online, and I found that AirportAtheros.kext is 32-bit only; that's just great!

Third, I was able to manually install boot0 and boot1h, and copied Netkas' 10.1 boot file (PC EFI v10.3) to the root, as well as all the necessary files that go into /Extra:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • dsdt.aml
  • Extensions
  • Themes

Fourth, 64-bit is functional. However, it greatly depends on the kexts being 64-bit for the device in question, otherwise as stated above, it won't work (AirportAtheros.kext|Netgear WG311T Super-G Wireless PCI Adapter).

Fifth, when I used the method as described in your guide, I ultimately recreated the same disc, and added the kexts that I know work for my setup. When I went to install SL, it presented me with the "Install Failed" message, and it left a folder named "Mac OS X Install Data" in root. Not exactly sure what that folder is about and/or if it's even needed. However, the point I'm getting at is that with my new boot-132 disc for the ASUS P5Q (aptly named MARS P5Q x86/x64), it does not produce either the "Installation Failed" message or that "Mac OS X Install Data" folder in root.

So, right now, I've got a fully functional system, either in 32-bit or 64-bit (sans working Airport). I just probably need a WIFI card that has a known working 64-bit kext! Btw, which WIFI card do you have? Some Buffalo Wireless PCI Adapter, based on Broadcom?? If so, what's the model and firmware version that is known to work?

I think I'll be creating either a script or an application that can customize the boot-132 disc to your machine. But, obviously that'll take me some time, unless any of you know how to script in bash or create a simple prompting application???

Now my guide will focus primarily on the boot-132 method as opposed to the OSInstall.mpkg method. However, I may just keep the OSInstall.mpkg guide just as a foundation of where I started. Who knows!

Send me a message or hit me up on ICQ.

Peace,

IanT

Hello to everyone,

Modded Bios for P5Q

Kext Helper App

Ok very nice guide... I have a few problems and hopefully someone can help me

1) when I place the bootcd into the system it boots with some errors at first then it shows the boot loader. Is this normal?

2) whenever I place the retail snow disk in I pressed f5 it updated and I selected it and during that boot it gives a error over the chameleon. What can I do to fix this?