GeForce 6200 AGP on SL

Rafael Gaspar

89 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an AGP GeForce 6200 that worked well on Leopard with almost all of the injectors(NVdarwin, NVEnabler, NVInject, EFI Strings, etc) but on Snow Leopard it just boots on a blue screen and then the blue screen changes to a darker blue and then back to the first blue and so on. Only with NVinject I got resolution change, but not QE/CI.

I heard on #snowleopard@osx86.hu that SL doesn't support AGP, but I checked IOPCIFamily.kext(that is where the driver for AGP resides) source from darwin 10.6 and it mentions AGP support, so i don't think they dropped the AGP support.

Anyone got any success running SL with AGP VGA's?

Does anyone know if the DSDT patching will enable QE/CI on a 6200 PCI card (not AGP). I am having the same issue. It works fine in Leopard with NVinject but in Snow Leopard I have tried every injector/EFI string I can find. I have never done a DSDT patch and my SL install is from the myHack installer with the chocolate_kernel (older proc)

• 1 month later...

I have the following setup:

Hardware:

ECS Elitegroup GeForce6100PM-M2 mainboard (nVidia MPC 61 north- and southbridge).

AMD 64X2 5200+ CPU.

2GB DDR2 833 mHz Memory.

256 MB EVGA nVidia GeForce 6200 LE rev a1 video card in PCI-E x16 slot.

TI-based TSB43AB23 Firewire 400 card.

Generic 19" display connected to the DVI port of this card.

2 Hitachi 1TB SATA drives

1 Maxtor 500 GB SATA drive

1 Seagate 500 GB SATA drive

1 LiteOn 24x PATA DVD/CD Burner

Hazard's Snow Leopard distribution (updated to os x 10.6.3 using modbin's kernel)

Chameleon v2 (not sure of subversion)

Little Snitch v.2.2.1

ClamXAV v.2.0.5

~/Extra/com.Apple.boot.plist consists of the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CPUS</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>GraphcsEnabler</key>

<string>Y</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@75</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.amd</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=X86PC -force64</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

How do I get QE/CI enabled with this video card?

I have tried the following:

Inserted the EFI string in ~/Extra/com.Apple.boot.plist using the string generated by EFIx Studio. (Card still will not enable QE/CI).

Inserted the proper vendor code in info.plist in ~/System/Library/ExtensionsNVDANV40Hal.kext. Removed GraphicsMode and set GraphicsEnabler to no in ~/Extra/com.Apple.boot.plist (no QE/CI)

Inserted the proper vendor code in info.plist in ~/System/Library/ExtensionsNVDANV40Hal.kext. Removed GraphicsMode and set GraphicsEnabler to yes, inserted EFI string under device-properties in ~/Extra/com.Apple.boot.plist (no QE/CI)

Installed NVDarwin from Leopard 10.5.8 (on reboot causes and Kernel Panic and Coredump)

Installed CoreVidia (which on reboot causes a kernel panic and coredump).

Kept CoreVidia and set GraphicsEnabler to N in com.apple.boot.plist. (Still get a Kernel Panic and coredump)

Kept CoreVidia, removed graphics mode directive and set the removed the -force64 directive from the boot flags and set the arch directive in kernel flags to i386 (still get a kernel panic and coredump)

Deinstalled CoreVidia and installed NVInject (may or may not cause a Kernel Panic. If no kernel panic, still no QE/CI)

Kept NVInject, set GraphicsEnabler to N in com.apple.boot.plist.(no QE/CI)

Kept NVInject, set GraphicsEnabler to Y and installed EFI string in device-properties in com.apple.boot.plist.(no QE/CI)

Denstalled NVInject, installed NVEnabler, set GraphicsEnabler to N in com.apple.boot.plist.(no QE/CI)

Kept NVInject, set GraphicsEnabler to Y and inserted EFI String under device-properties in com.apple.boot.plist.(no QE/CI)

I have not tried to modify dsdt. What do I need to change in the source code generated by fassl's DSDT Patcher (other than the CMOS Patch) to enable QE/CI, as I am now at a complete loss on what to try next

But what really has me confused :wacko: is when I reformat the hard drive and reinstall 10.6 from Hazard's distribution and I select graphics enabler and nothing else under Graphics Cards, and complete the install, the opening movie plays with no problem when the system restarts from the hard drive. I've also ran the tests recommended on Prasys' blog, with no problem. However, DVD Player and quicktime video refuse to run, which has me quite confused. :( Any suggestions?

meistersinger

• 4 weeks later...

Install NVEnabler, remove the NV50 kext, remove Geforce.kext, this at least gets me native resolution but the card is very slow, visible refresh lines, no QE/CI, can't play large videos smoothly, system profiler says it's a PCI card. By the way, I'm rockin a 128MB 6200 AGP.

I can get the same effect with NVinject.

Both work out of the box but no-go with the acceleration.

Haven't played around with the DSDT or EFI to get it working but I want to know what's up with this whole AGP fiasco.

Status update: DSDT patcher and the aforementioned 'working' ATY_Init.kext seems to have done the trick. Used snowleo by director A.K., no video patches on install, installed ATY_Init.kext, reboot, patch DSDT.aml with new HPET option, chameleon override to said DSDT.aml, reboot, working good with QE/CI. Only tested with VGA out. Disabled graphics enabler but I don't know if that helped (don't do it unless it doesn't work for you otherwise).

Kept everything as vanilla as possible (well, not really) since it's clear that different Nvidia drivers start battling to the death when put next to each other.

I'm using a 6200 128MB AGP on an old Abit AV8 board, booting SL 10.6 in 32-bit mode. System profiler seems to see the card as PCIE x16.

• 3 months later...

Geforce 6200 128Mb QE/CI, Need help

I have been trying for 2 days trying to get for this to work, I cant get it, im a noob at mac, The video card is an AGP , i used different kext but it doesnt activate QE/CI. need step by step instructions if possible.

My specs are

Motherboard ASROCK 775dual vsta

Cpu 2.80Ghz x2 dual core pentium d 915

Mem 2gigs of ddr2 pc 667mhz

Gpu Geforce 6200 agp nv44 card

This is what it says on my graphics display

Chipset Model: NV44A GeForce 6200A

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0221

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

DELL 1908FP:

Resolution: 1152 x 864 @ 75 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Ok I've tried and i'm ether going to try 10.5 or 10.4 but i thought It might be useful to post what i have tried here:

Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 6800 XT

ID: 0x00f610de

VRAM: 256MiB

Interface: AGP

NVCAP:

0x04 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x09 0x00
0x06 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x07
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

I tried pcj's DSDL,

Couldn't get my own rom so extracted the nvcap from a bios file for my card that i found floating about, inserted this, changed the name, inserted into my DSDL and added the needed DTGP method that jarodsix mentioned. Compiled ok.

Now in sys profile i get the correct card information, but i've tried the vanilla kexts, tried adding my device id, tried in combination with the ATY kext whatever that is, and AGPgart (not sure whether this is needed).

All i get is ether a reset upon DSMOS arriving or a hang, sometimes a purple screen before reseting.

Any advice? or is it best just to abandon SL?

Ok hoping that someone knows what i'm doing wrong here...

I'm trying for 10.6 for a bit longer because as far as i can tell the NVDANV40Hal.kext is loading and the card is correctly recognised in the system profile, and it doesn't say "kext not loaded" which it usually does... also the NVDANV40Hal and NVDANV50Hal kext appear as loaded in the boot sequence just before DMOS arives... I still had to actually insert my device id into the kexts to get them to load... not sure if i should have to be doing this in combination with the DSDT??

But despite all this i still have no video acceleration, no QE/QI whatever :(

So the system is a fresh vanilla 10.6.4 (other than the added device id in the geforce and NVDAN40Hal kexts)

I'm using a separate EFI partition with chameleon, this contains my modified DSDT, smbois (this came with it), the legacy kernel (CPU is SSE2), some ATA kext which i needed to boot from PATA, SMC kext, and this ATY kext which is supposed to be used in combination with this DSDT hack?

I've tried inserting the DSDT snippet under both Scope (\_SB) sections and Scope (\_SB.PCI0) sections, the system only boots when it's compiled under the Scope (\_SB) section. The other makes it reset or hang on DSMOS arriving.

Is there any kexts i need to remove from the vanilla install? any kexts i should or shouldn't have in the extra extensions directory for the DSDT hack, or is there anything i should be tweaking in my BIOS? (AGP apature size is set to 256MiB - same as card, i've tried 64MiB).

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont know how you guys managed to boot to sl.

I have been trying 4 a week but still cannot get snow dvd to boot up it gets stuck b4 welcome screen :which

enabler did you use to boot into dvd????

my card is pny fx 6200 256mb

I tried the succces story from infinitemac forum i managed to boot up with a welcome screen but I get kp as soon as it start.

all i want to know is how to boot into snow dvd .

my snow dvd disk in on external usb hdd so when i install it then restart althought I put either atiinjetct or nv inject still same results stops b4 welcome screen help :)

• 2 weeks later...
Status update: DSDT patcher and the aforementioned 'working' ATY_Init.kext seems to have done the trick. Used snowleo by director A.K., no video patches on install, installed ATY_Init.kext, reboot, patch DSDT.aml with new HPET option, chameleon override to said DSDT.aml, reboot, working good with QE/CI. Only tested with VGA out. Disabled graphics enabler but I don't know if that helped (don't do it unless it doesn't work for you otherwise).

Kept everything as vanilla as possible (well, not really) since it's clear that different Nvidia drivers start battling to the death when put next to each other.

I'm using a 6200 128MB AGP on an old Abit AV8 board, booting SL 10.6 in 32-bit mode. System profiler seems to see the card as PCIE x16.

I would like to know which kexts are giving you QE/CI I tried many times but I only get full res but no joy with the rest...

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add...

A couple of people in this thread mentioned that their CPUs did not support SSE3. If you are trying to get Snow Leopard running on a CPU that only supports SSE2, just stop. You would be wasting your time. There is currently only very broken support for SSE2 on the 10.4.0 legacy kernel. It can boot, but that is about all.

• 2 months later...
I just wanted to add...

A couple of people in this thread mentioned that their CPUs did not support SSE3. If you are trying to get Snow Leopard running on a CPU that only supports SSE2, just stop. You would be wasting your time. There is currently only very broken support for SSE2 on the 10.4.0 legacy kernel. It can boot, but that is about all.

It's been a while since i've gone back to my project but is this still the case? i thought i found a legacy kernel version for OS 10.6 that was fully SSE2 compatible... i could be wrong.

If i remember correctly everything as far as i had tested in terms of basic operation worked fine... only the graphics were messed up because of lack of hardware acceleration.

As SSE3 emulation had come so far in terms of efficiency since the semthex days i thought that other than speed - instruction sets became more of a superficial limitation than a hardware one??

I have a Geforce 6200 LE AGP working fine in Snow Leopard 10.6.5. You need to use the only AGP enabler that I have found. It is in the form of an ATY_Init.kext. Put this kext in /E/E and it should enable QE/CI. No need to edit DSDT of GFX strings.

One problem I did have was a missing Apple logo icon on the Apple menu. Replacing Quartz.framework and QuartzCore.framework in /System/Library/Frameworks/ with the ones from 10.6.0 fixed that.

Hi. I have an AGP card "ATI Radeon HD 4650" with 1 GB of VRAM. I can't get this to work, only because of the AGP. I understand I have to edit the DSDT, what I don't know is which part. Someone can help me with this?

OK

i found a solution

here is my conf

MoBo AM2NF3-VSTA chipset nForce3 250, Audio CM6501

GeForce 7600GS 256 Mo

AMD AthlonX2

2Go DDR2

SATA 500 Go (running 10.4.9, Tiger, Leopard)

SATA 160 Go (running chameleon 2.0, Leopard 10.5.7, SL 10.6.1)

and what i wrote

http://osx86.co/f7/anyone-full-ci-qe-resol...4461/page2.html

post 15

Yes it is possible

leon ^_^:D:D

I have a Geforce 6200 LE AGP working fine in Snow Leopard 10.6.5. You need to use the only AGP enabler that I have found. It is in the form of an ATY_Init.kext. Put this kext in /E/E and it should enable QE/CI. No need to edit DSDT of GFX strings.

One problem I did have was a missing Apple logo icon on the Apple menu. Replacing Quartz.framework and QuartzCore.framework in /System/Library/Frameworks/ with the ones from 10.6.0 fixed that.

Seriously? that sounds crazy easy compared to all of the methods others have gone through.

I tried the ATY kext earlier this year with no joy (i think it's mentioned at the beginning of this thread somewhere by others also). Has there been an updated version released?

What are your other hardware specs? CPU type and datawidth etc... oh and what kernel (vanilla or legacy?) is the rest of the system from a vanilla install with the addition of an EFI emulator or are you using a ready-made iso?

You've at least instilled a little more hope for me... i was thinking of abandoning this machine.

OK

i found a solution

here is my conf

MoBo AM2NF3-VSTA chipset nForce3 250, Audio CM6501

GeForce 7600GS 256 Mo

AMD AthlonX2

2Go DDR2

SATA 500 Go (running 10.4.9, Tiger, Leopard)

SATA 160 Go (running chameleon 2.0, Leopard 10.5.7, SL 10.6.1)

and what i wrote

post 15

Yes it is possible

leon :D:D:D

Thanks Leon.

It's good to see that others are getting results with this... it looks like maybe it's just more sensitive to OS version - What was the base version that you were using that worked?

I bought the retail DVD and i think it's 10.6.2 so i'm a bit screwed if it's lower than that.

I was testing on a 10.6.4 clone from my MBP before though - so that would make sense as to why the ATY kext was a no go for me before.

Seriously? that sounds crazy easy compared to all of the methods others have gone through.

I tried the ATY kext earlier this year with no joy (i think it's mentioned at the beginning of this thread somewhere by others also). Has there been an updated version released?

What are your other hardware specs? CPU type and datawidth etc... oh and what kernel (vanilla or legacy?) is the rest of the system from a vanilla install with the addition of an EFI emulator or are you using a ready-made iso?

You've at least instilled a little more hope for me... i was thinking of abandoning this machine.

Thanks Leon.

It's good to see that others are getting results with this... it looks like maybe it's just more sensitive to OS version - What was the base version that you were using that worked?

I bought the retail DVD and i think it's 10.6.2 so i'm a bit screwed if it's lower than that.

I was testing on a 10.6.4 clone from my MBP before though - so that would make sense as to why the ATY kext was a no go for me before.

I started from a 10.6.1

10A432 is the release reference

I downloaded this morning updates 10.6.3, 10.6.4 & 10.6.5 to test soon.

Right now I still have a detail to fix on a particular configuration:

I am using an HDTV 1080 p Panasonic on one Hackintosh from HDMI output

that's a terrific display !

On Leopard no problem, as default display is over scanned so edges are missing.

you just need to go to display / options and deselect full screen, then edges are there.

Now on SL, doing the same gives me black screen with only mouse arrow visible.

So i would like to solve this before upgrding SL.

I will keep you informed about upgrades.

leon

I started from a 10.6.1

10A432 is the release reference

I downloaded this morning updates 10.6.3, 10.6.4 & 10.6.5 to test soon.

And you've retained the GeForce* & NV* extensions from 10.6.1 through the updates?

btw recently there have been some problems with the 10.6.5 GeForce* and NV* extensions update, (on official mac machines), there's lots of threads discussing the issues on the Apple Forums... My MBP has had some pretty serious glitches on it's 9400M & 9400M GT causing complete freezes... As a result i tried to use the extensions from 10.6.4 but they were not compatible (KP or lack of GUI rendering)... although maybe it depends on the exact card you are using.

As a result i've had to downgrade to 10.6.4 on my real mac... bad Apple. but i'd be interested on how far you can make those extensions go on your card.

Also could you do me a favor and get-info on any one of the GeForce or NV extensions from your working agp installation and post the version number? (all of the GeForce and NV extensions should share the same version numbers.

So far i know that:

On OS 10.6.5 GeForce/NV Extensions Version = 1.6.24.17 (256.00.15f04)

On OS 10.6.4 GeForce/NV Extensions Version = 1.6.16.11 (19.5.8f01)

It would be a great help if we knew the version number of the extensions that definitely work.

And you've retained the GeForce* & NV* extensions from 10.6.1 through the updates?

btw recently there have been some problems with the 10.6.5 GeForce* and NV* extensions update, (on official mac machines), there's lots of threads discussing the issues on the Apple Forums... My MBP has had some pretty serious glitches on it's 9400M & 9400M GT causing complete freezes... As a result i tried to use the extensions from 10.6.4 but they were not compatible (KP or lack of GUI rendering)... although maybe it depends on the exact card you are using.

As a result i've had to downgrade to 10.6.4 on my real mac... bad Apple. but i'd be interested on how far you can make those extensions go on your card.

Also could you do me a favor and get-info on any one of the GeForce or NV extensions from your working agp installation and post the version number? (all of the GeForce and NV extensions should share the same version numbers.

So far i know that:

On OS 10.6.5 GeForce/NV Extensions Version = 1.6.24.17 (256.00.15f04)

On OS 10.6.4 GeForce/NV Extensions Version = 1.6.16.11 (19.5.8f01)

It would be a great help if we knew the version number of the extensions that definitely work.

I did first try updating to 10.6.3

As my Hack is AMD, I need to install a new kernel first.

Then I put back video .kext from 10.6.1

resolution is OK but QE/CI is gone !

So I tried new NVenabler, but same result.

I am overbooked right now, so i will post if successful update.

by the way, a specialist drives me toward DSDT but i did not understand yet how to handle it.

If you can understand what he says ...

post 16

Leon

Ok some results now

All work fine.

What i did first

Starting from 10.6.1 installation:

1) Put ATY_Init.kext in my /Extra/Extensions

2) In following kexts:

GeForce.kext *

NVDANV40Hal.kext *

NVDAResman.kext *

search into info.plist and insert your video board ID (mine is :0x02e110de)

3) fix permissions in /Extra/Extensions and in /System/Library/Extensions/

Rebuilt 2 extensions.mkext

Put the second one in the right place (system/library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup)

4) Add GFX string (Osx tools/ video GeForce 7600 GS 256 Mo) com.apple.Boot.plist

5) remove any DSDT.aml if any

6) reboot now on your SL partition, your AGP is now seen as PCIe board in about this Mac.

In system preferences all screen savers works fluently.

Answering to your question: kext version is 1.6.0

Update to 10.6.3

As my hack is AMD, after update I installed legacy_kernel-10.6.3.pkg

Now previous video kexts where 1.6.10 version

I did exactly the same ID insertion in /Content/Info.plist in 3 kext

Reboot, first reboot is long about one minute

all is fine QE/CI ok

Update to 10.6.4

video kexts where are 1.6.16 version

Do exactly the same ID insertion in /Content/Info.plist in 3 kext

all is fine QE/CI ok

Update to 10.6.5

before reboot, install iUpgrade 10.6.5.pkg

video kexts where are 1.6.24 version

Do exactly the same ID insertion in /Content/Info.plist in 2 first kext

there is no ID identification in the new NVDAResman.kext

get back to 10.6.4 kexts about IOUSBfamily & IOUSBmassstorageclass

fix permissions in /System/Library/Extensions/

Rebuilt Extensions.mkext

all is fine QE/CI ok

USB and sound works fine

So there is real hope if you have an AGP video like mine

Leon

PS: I discover today that iPhoto crashes at first photo import.....trouble trouble!

I ran Marwin's AMD utility

All application run now.

ok great, thanks for all the info leon,

So just to clarify... 10.6.5 works for you with:

stock NV* & GeForce* kexts with inserted device ids'

IOUSB* kexts from 10.6.4

The ATY kext

the iUpgrade package

gfx boot string

Do you think there is any reason why starting with 10.6.5 with those things wouldn't work?

i'm going to try start with a 10.6.5 clone just because it's faster for me to get configured... i've got a 6800 XT 256MiB a bit older than yours - so i expect that if i run into any problems it's just because it's too old.

I have been trying DSDT - i hear that it is supposed to be the best way also, but i was only trying it because i heard that it was the only way for AGP cards on 10.6 ... but you really need to learn the DSDT language and understand what you are doing - it's hard if you've never dealt with hardware at that level before. I never succeeded in making it work for my card.

@ leon:

You've added your device ID (0x02e1) to both

NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext

But you have a Geforce 7 series card:

GeForce 7600 GS

The device ID for a Geforce 7 series card has no business inside NVDANV50Hal.kext, the Geforce 7 series uses the NV40 family of chips. Take a look at this: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NV40

@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "MS 明朝"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Cambria; }.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Cambria; }div.WordSection1 {

ok great, thanks for all the info leon,

So just to clarify... 10.6.5 works for you with:

stock NV* & GeForce* kexts with inserted device ids'

IOUSB* kexts from 10.6.4

The ATY kext

the iUpgrade package

gfx boot string

Yes that's it.

I just added yesterday SuperNForceATA with Device ID a310de & a510de to get my PATA (XP) drives reacheables from desk with NTFS3G.

Don't do that ! You may have infinite loop at launch with message like:

FEDE Genero 32IOVMSegments.

Install AppleNForceATA_Snow http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=75261

and all will be OK

Do you think there is any reason why starting with 10.6.5 with those things wouldn't work?

I don't see any reason why you cant' start from 10.6.5

except from the fact that Usb is tricky in 10.6.5

in my conf I had pb with keyboard mouse and sound !

I solved it with IOUSB* kexts from 10.6.4

Could be wiser to start from 10.6.4, just to avoid overlapping problems.

i'm going to try start with a 10.6.5 clone just because it's faster for me to get configured... i've got a 6800 XT 256MiB a bit older than yours - so i expect that if i run into any problems it's just because it's too old.

Ok there I forgot to tell about one more thing I tried,

This was not mandatory in my conf, but I had problems driving an HDTV in 1080p

because display was over scanned (the solution was... deselect overscan directly by remote control on the TV.... nothing to see from hackintosh !)

about display

But that could help you a lot about you video bord:

First : recover BIOS from video board.

under DOS with nVFlash tool on a DOS bootable USB

using the DOS cmd :

nvflash --save bios.rom

This will save bios.rom on USB file named bios.rom

Second : under OSX, download and run NVCAP Maker

Select the file bios.rom on USB key.

NVCAP Maker will give you NVCAP string from our video board

Copy the string

Third :run OSX86Tools

select "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags"

then select GFX Strings

then "Custom GeForce" "Graphic Card" in graphic card selection (last choice in the list)

Enter name you want for you board (nVidia GeForce 7600 GS or something else)

Choose memory size according to your board

Next screen "Display output configuration" select "Custom..."

Paste there NVCAP chain from NVCAP

Maker

OSX86Tools, will generate GFX Strings exactly matched to your video board.

Copy and paste it in your com.apple.Boot.plist

reboot and enjoy

I have been trying DSDT - i hear that it is supposed to be the best way also, but i was only trying it because i heard that it was the only way for AGP cards on 10.6 ... but you really need to learn the DSDT language and understand what you are doing - it's hard if you've never dealt with hardware at that level before. I never succeeded in making it work for my card.

@ leon:

You've added your device ID (0x02e1) to both

But you have a Geforce 7 series card:

The device ID for a Geforce 7 series card has no business inside NVDANV50Hal.kext, the Geforce 7 series uses the NV40 family of chips. Take a look at this: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames#NV40

You re right

NVDAN50 is useless

so I edited previous post accordingly.

Thank you for your pertinent post

leon