Asus P5Q (including P5QL-Pro) series Guide to Install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail

132 posts in this topic

I'm still having a huge problem with waking up from sleep. Many people on this thread have P5QL Pro boards. How is your sleep? Does it wake up fine? It says (on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0) that it works out of the bod (OOB) but not with mine.

Does anyone know if it is to do with the BIOS settings?

ANY help would be much appreciated!!!!

I also own a P5QL Pro which doens't wake up after sleep. It seems that my USB card reader (connected to the mainboard) disturbs the wake-up proces, at least that is what some users told me. I did not tested it yet. Will give it a go later this week.

I followed this guide and everything works well except it won't wake up from sleep. I have a USB mouse and Mac keyboard. What i doing wrong? Is this to do with my BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance ;)

Oh, it recognises my CPU as a core 2 solo (not Duo) any ideas?

pdjstorm ==== You are a star! I disconnected this and pulled out my battery so a full bios reset occurred and WOW! I now have a FULL snow leopard; I can't wait to see what this thing does with 16gb of RAM in it.

Thanks for all the guides and help.

I just noticed, the sound is a bit funny after it has been to sleep. I'll try a complete reinstall later on and post progress.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/style_ima...icons/icon1.gif

Hi i have a problem with 64 bit mode and sleep.

I descriped my installation proces. And sorry for the bad grammar etc:)

first i updated the bios and then i installed ideneb 1.61 and then i installed the osinstall.mpkg to a fresh hd. i installed the boatloader and till step 10 i have no problems i copied the files there.

Then i rebooted the pc and i was not able to boot in the small graphic mode because i had not the option to press F8 maybe i installed the bootloader wrong?

But i entered osx and created a new account not a super user account as you described.

i installed the other kext and rebooted again.

then i went to terminal and typed the following command sudo su and i received the uuid=35 error.

Then i installed the kext from the extra:extensions folder with kext7helper and rebooted and i did not have that error again.

then i used the kext Snow Leopard NVEnabler for my graphic card(9400gt 1024mb). I think this is correct.

The system works fine now but it when it goes to sleep it stays there.

But osx still boots in 32 bit mode can you please tell me what the problem is?

Maybe a bios settings for both problems?

hope anybody can help me

Sorry I have some issues to understand your guide - not so much from the technical point of view... more what you mean ;)

0. In the Bios enable acpi 2.0 without this option enabled I think You will have miserable efforts to boot into Snow Leopard. You can find this option under the power management tab > ACPI 2.0 support. I assure you if you do not enable it your newly installed will kernel panic at startup. So ENABLE IT.

Done

1. Do the usual partitioning, and snow leopard restoring to a partition thing using disk utility (it is discussed in many topics. The idea is to have three partitions. My config is: One guid disk with two partitions, and an additional guid disk with one partition. One partition serves for containing the restored Snow leopard disk installer).

Why 3?

1 Partition you install from

1 Partition you install to

Do I get something wrong?

2. Open up a finder window of the disc or partition where the Snow Leopard installer is. Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder

copy this into the the opening field>

system/Installation/Packages

Start the installation using the OSInstall.mpkg file.

Wow ... this one is hard...

Ok I have on my 2nd disk the snow installation files... they are mirrored from the cd... right?

Now I open the finder and open the root folder of the install Disk (Disk 2)

Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder
- Dont get this one... what do you mean? which folder what do you mean with Go:Go?

copy this into the the opening field>

which opening field?

Can somebody explain this step to me please... ?

I am using the same board with a new 10.6 experiment. This guide was awesome for its time, but the myhack installer made it so much easier.

1.) Restored SL DVD image to USB drive

2.) Ran Myhack installer on the USB drive with pretty much everything that applies, leaving off the IDE stuff, chocolate kernel, and Marvel ethernet

3.) Installed from USB drive to a freshly-formatted hard drive

4.) Booted from USB drive again

5.) Installed Myhack to the hard drive

6.) copied VoodooHDA from first post of this thread to /Extras/Extensions

7.) re-ran pfix

This took me about 90 minutes, including a bit of experimenting. Everything works - everything. I even have digital and all analog audio.

My hardware is the P5QL-Pro, an E5200, 4GB DDR2, a 160GB WD drive (SATA), LG DVD-RW (SATA), Geforce 9500GT 512MB

I have not tested sleep, but it'll be running SETI@Home all the time so no need.

One problem - it does not reboot. It shuts down like it's going to but never POSTS again. Hit the reset button and it starts right up. Maybe running the dsdt.aml patcher will fix that.

Quick follow-up:

Updated to 10.6.1. Had to re-run pfix to re-build my Extensions.mkext but otherwise was perfect.

Reboot has been fixed by patching DSDT.aml. At least, that's what I THINK fixed it.

I'm going to try sleeping overnight to see if that works. My ACPI 2.0 and APIC options are both turned on (enabled) for this test (kernel panic booting from the USB drive if I didn't have them both on, so regardless of whether or not sleep works this is how it'll stay). I have not gotten BOINC/SETI@Home going yet so I figured I might as well give this whole "green" thing a go.

Also, my E5200 is OC'd to 3.33GHz (1066MHz bus) on default voltage. I bet I could crank it up more but I have the stock heatsink. It's a little loud so eventually I'll get something nicer, but for now...wow, this is a nice build. That has nothing to do with OS X though. :D

Hi Doug,

which version of myhack have you installed?

Ran Myhack installer on the USB drive with pretty much everything that applies, leaving off the IDE stuff, chocolate kernel, and Marvel ethernet

post-504054-1257010453_thumb.png

Don't know if I get the configuration of the installer right... seems that there are a couple of things different to yours... don't know...

When I use the usb stick to boot into the install it takes for ever... eventually I get the install app of the SnowLeo asking me for my language... but that's it I cannot click on next or use my keyboard either...

Maybe my bios settings are wrong....

I got the 0902-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_L_PRO_for_MAC_OS_X_&_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

bios version installed + AHCI activated

any Ideas?

cheers

Works like a charm for me (P5QL pro, patched BIOS) in 64bit mode (including kernel with latest chameleon rc3 and efi 10.5). For those who having the line:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(IntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

It's not about AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext or dsmos.kext, but because of your videocard. Evoenabler.kext (it's somewhere around) is your savior. Just put it in /Exta/Extensions/ with other kexts after installation.

It really helped me out after a sleepless night (PowerColor 4870 1Gb). No sleep though, even with sleepenabler or without nullcpupowermanagement, but who cares after all :~)

Hope somebody will find it useful.

Peace

hello guys! i installed to Snow on P5QL_PRO( using this guide

) , and everything works in 64bit except my Ethernet. I've tried AttansicL1Ethernet.kext, AttansicL2Ethernet.kext, RealtekR1000.kext but still i can't browse on the internet. So i need some help.Thank you.

Hi,

Which one should I download for P5Q?

1611_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

or

1611_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

Can you also confirm if SL is 64 bit, I plan to go 8GB.

tm13

hello guys! i installed to Snow on P5QL_PRO( using this guide
) , and everything works in 64bit except my Ethernet. I've tried AttansicL1Ethernet.kext, AttansicL2Ethernet.kext, RealtekR1000.kext but still i can't browse on the internet. So i need some help.Thank you.

Try this one. Works in 64bit mode for me (SL 10.6.1, P5QL PRO). Use Kext Helper to install it.

Hi,

Which one should I download for P5Q?

1611_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

or

1611_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

Can you also confirm if SL is 64 bit, I plan to go 8GB.

tm13

Doesn't matter. Using the first one myself.

Yep, 64 confirmed.

AttansicL1eEthernet.kext.zip

Great guide, but I have a problem: My monitor shuts off at boot!

System Specs:

nvidia 295 gtx graphics card

p5ql-pro motherboard

I added the Kexts to the Extras folder, I reboot with "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and during the boot screen, the monitor shuts off, and will not turn back on.

Booting with -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" gives the line, "DSMOS has arrived" , just before the monitor shuts off. It's hard to read anything more, bc, lol, the monitor shuts off.

I switched the fake.kext, i forgot it's full name, with a DSMOS.kext and I get the same error.

Does anyone know if this is a kext issue, a graphics card issue, a boot file issue, or what?

Or is this a bigger, broader issue that deserves it's own post?

Finally, I hate when I search a forum and most of the answers I find state for the user to search the forums. I searched the forums and did not find a solution. :)

Any ideas why the IDE isnt working?

Does suck a bit without cd rom my 2nd harddrive.Is just SATA supported?

Run Snow.1 on PSQL Pro in 64bit mode. Everything else works.

I tried several things ... even in my bios settings. But the IDE doesn't seem to get been recognized.

Any workarounds out there to solve this issue?

THX

Any ideas why the IDE isnt working?

Does suck a bit without cd rom my 2nd harddrive.Is just SATA supported?

Run Snow.1 on PSQL Pro in 64bit mode. Everything else works.

I tried several things ... even in my bios settings. But the IDE doesn't seem to get been recognized.

Any workarounds out there to solve this issue?

THX

Same here. I can't get my IDE DVD drive to work. Oh and 10.6.2 works fine for me.

Anyone got automatic sleep to work or that crackly noise after manual sleep? Only three things not perfect.

1 small issue remains ...

i have Asus P5Ql Pro and Snow (10.6.2) running, and everything seems to work - exept TimeMachine.

i ried fixes that are presenr here (bootlist adding keys and so on and OSX_Tools), but no help so far.

I cannot even backup on a internal HDD, or a USB HD - and to TimeCapsule.

Anyone know any real fix to this ?

Kari

Hi!

I have got some problem in Step 13. After typing "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and a few seconds of booting is, my monitor switch off. I have got NVidia GTX 260. It is a problem this drivers of graphic card?

Best Regards

Djon

Exact same thing for me too!

I can backup... But I cant recover anything because by entering the Time Machine the system freezes...

Apart from that I cant get the IDE to work.

Oh, and the system gets an error and shuts down when sound is played after I was in sleep mode.

But this problem however has nothin' to with the board itself... cause I'm using a esi audio card

I'm on 10.6.1...

cheers

ps this board sucks btw - I dont know why everybody is that positiv about the Asus P5Q models I just have issues... in compare to my other Gigabyte EP31 one where everything works