Asus P5Q (including P5QL-Pro) series Guide to Install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail

132 posts in this topic

I've got the same problem, and even after enabling ACPI 2.0 , still got the same screen,

Mb: P5QL PRO

Gfx: Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5,

Intel Q9400

Patched BIOS v. 0902

I have followed all the steps in the guide, and no success at all ;)

Any other solution, or maybe something else to set up in the BIOS ?

on the other hand iDeneb 1.5.7 installs fine (only after installing video driver , shutdown/ restart doesn't work )

The address of bios pacth by juzz :

http://www.applelife.ru/topic/9948-p5q-pro...31616456771693a

"Here's BootCD generic for P5Q series only with Chameleon RC4 = HERE(Bottom of page)"

Takes my BootCD, but gives your bios default. With just the AHCI enable. Installs the system and start it with my BootCD. If it does not work, I ask a friend of the forum who has a French P5QL Pro ;)

Sorry my English is rotten ! :D

Hi guys, this is my BootCd P5QL-Pro

(i have already patched dsdt.aml, 0 error 0 warning)

I allowed myself to your BootCD P5QL PRO on my site, with your name ;)

"Here's BootCD generic for P5Q series only with Chameleon RC4 = HERE(Bottom of page)"

Takes my BootCD, but gives your bios default. With just the AHCI enable. Installs the system and start it with my BootCD. If it does not work, I ask a friend of the forum who has a French P5QL Pro ;)

Sorry my English is rotten ! ;)

no problem;)

P.S. Remember to set Controller ICH10 to AHCI

Sorry my English is rotten ! :D

Thank you. just managed to get to here (see attachment)

and still struggling , I've spotted somewhere in the posts ,that Juzz have instructions how to set up BIOS, but I couldn't find it ;) I'm going to give a try to your boot cd . Cheers mate :D

post-168236-1262039240_thumb.jpg

and still struggling , I've spotted somewhere in the posts ,that Juzz have instructions how to set up BIOS, but I couldn't find it :( I'm going to give a try to your boot cd . Cheers mate ;)

Wait a few days, I will ask the exact configuration for your motherboard. :D

Can you send me your mail by MP, but in return do not forget to explain how did you do on this forum ;)

That everyone benefits

and still struggling , I've spotted somewhere in the posts ,that Juzz have instructions how to set up BIOS, but I couldn't find it :( I'm going to give a try to your boot cd . Cheers mate ;)

did you try my solution?

Hi guys, this is my BootCd P5QL-Pro

(i have already patched dsdt.aml, 0 error 0 warning)

Barbone

Grazie for your bootloader. Maybe you or another insanelymacfollower can help me: i got the P5QL Pro, an Intel CPU 6600, Gainward GT 8600 512Mb Graphics, a LG Sata DVD RW, 4 GB 667 mhz ddr 2 and 1TB Samsung Sata HD. I flashed my Bios accordingly to quaza s guide with Juzzis 0902-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_L. But I can't even start the loader. I got an EBIOS read error. Error 0x09. I burned the bootloader with two different burners, nothing helps...

when i use an old IDE DVD RW the bootloader starts but snow leo hangs just after MAC Framework is succesfully initialized. Have no clue what to do...

I replaced my old non AHCI Gigabyte board with the Asus Board to install SL on it and hope will manage it to do so sooner or later...

Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Mac-ig

Hi,

I've just used this guide to (almost successfully) install Snow Leopard on the following hardware -

P5QL-Pro

500gb Sata

Sata DVDRW

512mb ATI Radeon 4870

Here's what happens: Chameleon boots, I select my Snow Leopard install, the gray screen appears with the gray apple logo and spinning wheel...

THEN!!

I can ONLY HEAR the setup assistant music and voiceover, the screen remains on the gray apple logo. It seems like it's all working okay, but for whatever reason cannot display the setup assistant.

Any help please????

Same problem here. Has anyone solved yet?

P5Q-E

1TB Sata + 640GB Sata (Linux) + 400GB Sata + 200gb Sata (OSX)

Sata DVDRW

GeForce GTX 260, 512 or 1024mb

22" lcd

Edit

Got it "solved" partially.

I installed more recent release candidate of Chameleon and suddenly OSX started \o/

Problem was with the boot file, thou now I have SL without sounds or network...investigation continues.

Okay...cant get audio or ethernet work. About video I'm not sure...everything seems to work as should, thou there doesn't read QE yes or no in about my mac. Chameleon 2 RC4 seems to handle my nvidia gtx260 ok.

Is there something important in the boot file? I can't get SL to work with first post offered boot file, but with chameleon boot file it works (with lacks on first line).

Buon anno...fammi sapere;)

Ciao BarboneNet

sfortunatamente anche con l'altro bootloader il Ebios Error e arrivato...Poi ho provato la guida di edmoncu: e finalmente: tutto funzione.

Comunque ancora una volta: grazie! per l' assistenza. And thanks a lot to edmoncu for his effort.

mac-ig

STILL NO IDE SUPPORT FOR SNOW LEOPARD IN 64BIT mode ???

Is there anybody out there who can confirm that the P5QL does support IDE on SNOW 64bit ???

I am that f'ing close.... to replace all my drives cause of this last ... but still quite important issue...

PEEELEEASE.....

Use this one: http://www.kexts.com/view/87-appleviaata_f...ow_leopard.html

Works fine on my P5QL pro

Barbone

Grazie for your bootloader. Maybe you or another insanelymacfollower can help me: i got the P5QL Pro, an Intel CPU 6600, Gainward GT 8600 512Mb Graphics, a LG Sata DVD RW, 4 GB 667 mhz ddr 2 and 1TB Samsung Sata HD. I flashed my Bios accordingly to quaza s guide with Juzzis 0902-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_L. But I can't even start the loader. I got an EBIOS read error. Error 0x09. I burned the bootloader with two different burners, nothing helps...

when i use an old IDE DVD RW the bootloader starts but snow leo hangs just after MAC Framework is succesfully initialized. Have no clue what to do...

I replaced my old non AHCI Gigabyte board with the Asus Board to install SL on it and hope will manage it to do so sooner or later...

Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Mac-ig

In my experience Snow leopard does NOT like IDE cd-roms. I have never had my snow recognise mine in any way. Try and install from a SATA CD-ROM or borrow a USB external if you can.

Remember that you should always burn software disks (operating systems, games etc) at low write levels, preferably below 4 speed. This may help.

Hey all,

Wasn't sure whether to start another thread or tack on to this one since I have a successful Snow Leopard install on P5Q. My intention is not to hijack but hopefully help others with their installs.

My system is all SATA so i cannot vouch for IDE systems.

First of all I'll show my bios setup since I was already running 10.5.2. I used the Juzzi bios found here: 2102 Juzzi Bios

Bios settings for current Snow leopard installation:

post-132567-1263116644_thumb.jpg post-132567-1263116662_thumb.jpg

post-132567-1263116669_thumb.jpg post-132567-1263116677_thumb.jpg post-132567-1263116685_thumb.jpg post-132567-1263116692_thumb.jpg

post-132567-1263116701_thumb.jpg post-132567-1263116707_thumb.jpg

I used a USB Stick to do the install but this method should work fine for partitions as well. I found a tool that enabled me to boot from USB called "EP45UD3P Snow Leopard". Found this on LifeHacker following their guide. Installing Snow Leopard On Your PC - No Hacking Required.

Ok, so next I prepped my USB Stick (16GB SanDisk) as GUID partitioned, erased it and restored Snow Install to that. Then ran the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard installer to the root of my USB Stick. Since this tool is specific to a particular motherboard i had to create my own DSDT.aml using DSDT Patcher (google that). Settings used were:

under Choose Operating System:

Darwin / Mac OS X

under DSDT Patcher Options:

Force Compile

New HPET Option

Apply DSDT Patch To

And selected my Snow drive.

Once i'd created the DSDT.aml i replaced the one in /Extra/DSDT.aml with my newly created one, removed the one in the root of the Snow drive as DSDT Patcher placed it there and rebooted into the Snow Leopard Installer.

So far so good.

Once loaded, invoked Disk Utility and prepped the partition, in my case a whole drive, to receive Snow Leopard. Again as GUID partition and Erased. Quit Disk Utility and let the installer run after customising the install. All i did was NOT select any printers or additional languages.

After installation was complete I restarted into Leopard (10.5.2) and re-ran the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard installer but this time selected by newly installed Snow partition. Once that was done I re-copied over my DSDT.aml overwriting the /Extra/DSDT.aml created by the installer.

At this point I loaded Disk Utility just to verify that the drive was ok. All good.

Now, already having Leopard 10.5.2 installed I copied sections from my com.apple.boot.plist into the new Snow Leopard one in /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist on my new Snow drive. This is how mine looks now:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>YOUR GRAPHICS CARD STRING HERE</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

Just replace device-properties string with your own Graphics Card EFI.

I used -x32 to force 32 bit mode as I need that for my WG111v3 wireless dongle to work but you shouldn't need it.

Rebooted and from my Bios Boot Options menu (F8) selected my Snow drive to boot from. Snow drive booted into Chameleon. Crossed my fingers and waited.

After a minute or so I got the Welcome animation and booted into Snow Leopard.

Only thing I've had to fix so far is my Sound. I found on another thread an ALC1200 kext for 10.6.2, so I went for it and ran software update. After updating to 10.6.2 I used kext helper to install the ALC1200 kext, used Disk Utility to repair permissions and rebooted.

I haven't bothered with Ethernet yet as I'm using a wireless dongle as previously stated, so technically i still have that to deal with.

So far everything is working really well. Processor wasn't fully detected correctly but a quick search will reveal how to deal with that.

Happy days ;)

My version based on quaza's method.

It is very easy to install Snow Leopard retail on Asus P5QL-Pro. Everything works fine including audio, graphics, lan ...

Before you start anything. Read the posts for os x leopard 10.5 retail installation here and here. You will find infos on bios hack for Asus P5Q series mobos, and installation tips for leopard 10.5. You need a working os x leopard partition.

0. In the Bios enable acpi 2.0 without this option enabled I think You will have miserable efforts to boot into Snow Leopard. You can find this option under the power management tab > ACPI 2.0 support. I assure you if you do not enable it your newly installed will kernel panic at startup. So ENABLE IT.

1. Do the usual partitioning, and snow leopard restoring to a partition thing using disk utility (it is discussed in many topics. The idea is to have three partitions. My config is: One guid disk with two partitions, and an additional guid disk with one partition. One partition serves for containing the restored Snow leopard disk installer).

2. Open up a finder window of the disc or partition where the Snow Leopard installer is. Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder

copy this into the the opening field>

system/Installation/Packages

Start the installation using the OSInstall.mpkg file.

3. Install only the core system

4. After setup has finished its job, make sure not to restart your computer.

5. Install Chameleon bootloader 2. rc2 (Download link is here), be careful installing it to the newly installed snow leopard partition

6. Downloaad the package quaza has provided, it contains all the kexts you need. I provide here the pack of quaza P5Q_SL_Final.zip (I've taken out the bootloader folder which is chameleon 2 ..., just download it from its site.)

7. Download MuCommander from versiontracker

8. Download kekthelperb7

9. In Mucommander copy the boot file quaza has provided to the root of the newly installed snow leopard partition.

10. Likewise copy the four files from Extensions Extra 64Bits & 32Bits to extra:extensions on this new partition.

11. It is time to restart

12. In the bios set your primary boot disk to the one which contains this new Snow Leopard install.

13. When your bootloader starts press F8. If you are quick you will see the command line. Enter here:

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

It will effectively skip the setup assistant with an error message (saying that It can not use setup assistant at this small resolution). If you have a newer graphics card it is a must to do, becouse a neverending loop can occur with the setup assistant. I am not sure but it was the case with leopard.

14. Snow leopard will boot into its gui, now in small resolution. Do not panic. This method gives you the super duper user access, not setting up a usual user with setup assistant. Just restart.

15. This second time boot, the setup assistant won't show up, Snow leopard boots into the gui. Probably 1024x768. In system preferences : user account create a password for yourself. Fire up kexthelper7b. Drag and drop the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits to the window, enter your password and push easy install.

16. Fire up efistudio from quaza's pack, choose your efi string for your videocard. Mine is 9800 gt 512 mb it needs 8800 gt 512 mb efi string to work. I suggest you to search this theme before choosing your efistring, unfortunately apple does not provide all the drivers, but there are identical chips under different names. Push write to boot.apple....

17. Restart

18. Et voala > You have a fully working Snow Leopard 64 bit system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively you can use osx86tools to install the 3 kexts. In this case after Snow Leopard installer had finished its job, do not restart yet, follow the steps to point 10. After that, open up osx86tools choose install kexts, choose the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits, choose the target snow leopard partition. Now you can reboot, in bios choose your snow leopard drive, and start normally without any options entered at bootloader startup. Setup Assistant opens, use it, in my case (I've tried this method too) video was default 1024x678, sound was ok. When snow leopard gui is loaded use efistudio for your videocard as detailed above in step 16. And hopefully all would be ok.

Amazing Tutorial, I Followed It And Now I Have Full 64 Bit Snow Leopard, The Only Things That Is Not Detected Is My Graphics Card, since I Have The Same Card As You, The nVidia 9800 GT (512mb), Could You Explain Exactly What You Did??

Lots Of People Are Having Trouble With This Card, I Tried Just Using The 8800 GT From EFI Studio, But That Did Nothing...

Please Advise, Much Respect!

need some help when i boot the boot cd it go's fine after i put in the osx cd and hit enter i get the apple pic and the language box as soon as i hit the arrow i get this

mac os x can't be installed on this computer restore from backup or restart

can some one tell me what im doing wrong

bios is set to ahci

need some help when i boot the boot cd it go's fine after i put in the osx cd and hit enter i get the apple pic and the language box as soon as i hit the arrow i get this

mac os x can't be installed on this computer restore from backup or restart

can some one tell me what im doing wrong

bios is set to ahci

I Have Successfully Booted Into Snow Leopard, I Used A Different Method But Very Similar To This, Making 2 Partitions On The New Drive (1 For Installing The Snow Leopard DMG To....Erase After) And The Other For Where Snow leopard Is Installed..

More Info: http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/ho...asus-p5-series/

I Have The Patched Asus P5QL Pro Bios 0601, You Can Download It Here:P5QL_ASUS_PRO_0601.ROM.zip

Use Asus EZ Flash, Built Into The Bios You Already At The Moment, Must Be The P5QL Pro Mobo Though..

Good Luck!