Asus P5Q (including P5QL-Pro) series Guide to Install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail

132 posts in this topic

...and I still got "ACPI_SMC_PLATFORM PLUGIN::START - WaitForService (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out" message , I've tried almost every tutorial, bios setting , etc........ no joy :(:(:(:(

I Suggest You Get The 0601 Patched Bios For The P5QL Pro...I Have Provided A Link Earlier In One Of The Above Posts....

• 2 weeks later...

have purchased a new desktop PC and i want to try snow leopard on it...

it's specifications is given below..

Asus P5QL PRO

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

160 GB + 500GB SATA (Segate)

3 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

NViDIA XFX 9400 GT 1024 MB GDDR2

Atheros Ethernet

LG DVD RW

Logitech 5.1 Sound System

I have also downloaded

Snow Leopard Retail DVD

Mac OS X 10.6.2 SSE2 SSE3 by Hazard

Snow Leopard Universal DVD v3.5

Can i please ask the users to suggest appropriate patches and fixes to get snow leo working properly on my PC..

thnx in advance..

Hi there,

by using the latest build of the Empire Efi CD and an USB-stick with a restored image the SL installation starts on my pc.

But short after starting the installation is aborted with the error message in the install log "Failed to verify MediaFiles.pkg".

I also tried different images of the installation DVD, tryed the DVD itself and a hard drive as well - always the same result - "Failed to verify...pkg" (MediaFiles.pkg, BSD.pkg or other).

Using the original Bios or the Bios mod 0601 didn´t make a differcence. Still same error.

So my question is, where the problem could be?

Is is related to the use of Empire Efi, my bios settings or to images I was using?

Does anyone has an idea?

My specs:

• Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9400 4x 2,67GHz 6MB Cache 45nm
  • nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB
  • Mainboard ASUS P5QL-Pro Intel P43 Chipsatz ICH10R
  • 22x DVD/RW Duallayer +/- Multi SH-S223
  • 8GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400
  • 500GB SATAII NCQ 16MB Cache 7200rpm

Thanks for any input.

going crazy

have purchased a new desktop PC and i want to try snow leopard on it...

it's specifications is given below..

Asus P5QL PRO

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

160 GB + 500GB SATA (Segate)

3 GB DDR2 667MHz RAM

NViDIA XFX 9400 GT 1024 MB GDDR2

Atheros Ethernet

LG DVD RW

Logitech 5.1 Sound System

I have also downloaded

Snow Leopard Retail DVD

Mac OS X 10.6.2 SSE2 SSE3 by Hazard

Snow Leopard Universal DVD v3.5

Can i please ask the users to suggest appropriate patches and fixes to get snow leo working properly on my PC..

thnx in advance..

i've successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 on my Hackintosh....

i'll shortly post all the steps of the successful installation..

thnx insanelymac & netkas....

That was the easiest, fastest osx install I ever had!!! P5QL Pro, Q9550 (read as a 3.8ghz!), 4gig DDR2-800, 7300GT.

Got so excited and ran the 10.6.2 combo udpate I downleaded earlier. Restarted just fine. But my TP-Link WN551G disappeared, not recognized at all. Sound looks ok, but sleep doesn't seem to work.

Gotta work on this some more. Meantime, back to my 10.6 Universal install for work.

Many thanks for the guide!!!

Running 10.6.2 on a P5Q using this guide as the base. Took me almost a week!!! Not for the faint-hearted, only for the stupid!!! :(

So far, the only thing not working is sleep. Video (qe), sound, wifi, webcam, restart, 64 bit etc. are working.

Here are my specs, then I'l run thru how I did it.

Mobo: P5Q with Juzzi's 2102 bios

CPU: E8400

Video: Nvidia 9400gt 512Mb

Wifi: DWA520 (Atheros AR5212)

Drives: all sata

I followed Procedural Mind's instructions more or less. The following is how I differed and how I fixed the issues on my computer. I guess this is pretty basic stuff for a lot of you, but it took me several attempts to get it all together. I'll write this in order of operation, though I'm not writing out all the steps.

Kext Location

You can chuck all of quaza's kexts (from the Extensions Extra and Extensions System folders) in to /Extra/Extensions. This is cleaner since you won't wipe out those kexts when you update SL.

Video

After installing 10.6.0, but before starting up, I changed the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist by adding

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

This allowed me to have qe from the get go. Didn't need to do anything else to get qe.

Wifi

I needed to modify the AtherosFix.kext with my device id. The one I modified is here. You can put this in your /Extra/Extensions folder.

10.6.2 Upgrade

Download the combo pack. I needed this to repair permissions in DU, otherwise I ran in to "Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk". For details, see here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182343.

Then I booted SL and installed the combo pack. No flags necessary.

Sound

Follow the instructions here for ALC1200.kext. Basically, voodoohda does not work for me. This also fixed my webcam. Unfortunately, it did not fix sleep (fans on, doesn't wake up). You need to put this kext in /System/Library/Extensions, not /E/E. This means you need to keep a copy somewhere else when you upgrade again. That's why you should do this after you install the combo update.

Don't forget to repair permissions at this point. Restart and everything should be working.

One bug I haven't fixed is "unable to determine UUID error: 35" when I sudo so I guess the UUID.kext isn't working either. However, it isn't causing any noticeable problems.

Tips

Don't mix and match guides. Stick with one guide and follow it to the letter (while making adjustments for your hardware).

One other tip to make installation quicker is to sudo

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*
touch /System/Library/Extensions

This is the equivalent of repairing permissions in DU. You can do this from your leopard install (don't forget to add /Volumes/yourSLpartition ).

Links

I found these links useful in understanding the install process. It's tempting to follow these guides, just remember tip no.1!!

Snow Leopard on Hackintosh Guide

Screencast of SL install on P5 series

Lots of bugs explained here

• 1 month later...

Hi 

I tried this method of installing Snow Leopard. Didn't work out for me, I enabled everything in the BIOS, and did everything as it was told in the post. When I boot from the drive SL is on (eaven in screen resolution 640x480x32) I only get the start monitor of Mac with the apple and the turning circle, nothing happens, don't get a kernel Panics message or anything, but it stays like this for hours and nothing happens. I tried booting the system with -v and I get this message saying 

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement) timed out

I couldn't boot with -x ither.

I would be very gratefull for any help thanks 

regarding: "ACPI_SMC_PLATFORM PLUGIN::START - WaitForService (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out" error

I've had this error many times while I tried to install 10.6. After 2 weeks of trying and reading about common problems, I decided that my Ati Hd 4850 could be the problem.

I borrowed a Geforce 7200 and 10.6 installed fine. (Using a Combination of this guide and the Boot-Cd Method).

I'm not really sure if this the general cause for the error, but I'm assuming it. Give it a try.

Unfortunately my sleep doesn't work and my Power Managment Tab is limited (WOL option is missing).

I've no SleepEnabler.kext installed because I read that there are compatibility issues regarding NullCPUPowerManagment.kext(which i have installed).

Would SleepEnabler fix the Power Managment Tab Problem?

Thanks in Advance

Works like a charm for me (P5QL pro, patched BIOS) in 64bit mode (including kernel with latest chameleon rc3 and efi 10.5). For those who having the line:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(IntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

It's not about AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext or dsmos.kext, but because of your videocard. Evoenabler.kext (it's somewhere around) is your savior. Just put it in /Exta/Extensions/ with other kexts after installation.

It really helped me out after a sleepless night (PowerColor 4870 1Gb). No sleep though, even with sleepenabler or without nullcpupowermanagement, but who cares after all :~)

Hope somebody will find it useful.

Peace

Hi

thanks for the Idea with the Evoenabler.kext. That really helped me with that ''ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(IntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out'' after putting that into my extensions folder i had no problem booting in to snow leo. Everything works perfect now, no problems with lan, restart or sound.

Thanks again

greetz hnbf

Hello everybody! Good day(night)

Sorry for my English at first

at second: i have a problem with work of the retail Mac OS 10.6

I bought new components for feature computer:

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q8400 - 2.57 Ghz

Mother board P5QL-PRO

Video: Power Color Radeon HD 4850 - 512 mb

And 2x2 Gb memory - Aenon

So, about problem:

I can easy install Retail, from iDeneb 10.5.7-8

and patch DSDT, add boot file, add chameleon boot loader (Chameleon 2 RC3)

And i can easy install another Retail (SnowLeo Mac OSX86 for Intel/AMD 32/64 Bit Install DVD) from dvd.

=====================================================================

The problem is: after fine installation, i cant start it in normal mode. In (-x) its working.

I install update 10.6.1 in safe mode, and install the video driver (only in 10.6.1-2) its works with (-x).

In normal mode my desktop freeze, only cursor working.

=====================================================================

some body help me to make it working :)

...and I still got "ACPI_SMC_PLATFORM PLUGIN::START - WaitForService (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out" message , I've tried almost every tutorial, bios setting , etc........ no joy :D:( :( :(

hey i got same md but used the new bios 1004 frome asus page and change you video card for an nvidia 9800 gtx+ igot my working 100% wiyh no kexts i got a network card tha work out of the box + an external sound card

hi anybody.

I'm new user, can u tell me that our following information can install the 10.6 snow leopard retail.

motherboad p5ql-pro

cpu e2180 <----Please confirm

4gm, 160 g harddisk, nvidia 9600gso,

thank you very much

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, got my system running well, only problems I seem to have are no Wake-on-LAN function, and I can't get sleep to work (even though it was working at one point :S)

Any suggestions? My setup;

Asus P5QL Pro

Core 2 Duo 8400

Nvidia 9800GT

Hey guys, got my system running well, only problems I seem to have are no Wake-on-LAN function, and I can't get sleep to work (even though it was working at one point :S)

Any suggestions? My setup;

Asus P5QL Pro

Core 2 Duo 8400

Nvidia 9800GT

I have this same problem. Everything works perfectly except for sleep... which never worked for me. While it's not a BIG deal, I would like it to work if possible. Right now, the screen will turn off (which is good), but the computer keeps running, and the only way to get it back awake (or off), is to hold down the Power button or press the Reset button.

My system:

Mac OS X 10.6 (haven't installed the combo update yet)

Asus P5QL Pro (902 BIOS from juzzi)

Core 2 Quad Q6600

nVidia 9800GT

2x2GB DDR2 RAM