Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Cybex

22 posts in this topic

Anybody want to try my USB stick image for GA-EX58-UD5 for Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432?

You can download it here: http://www.kexts.com/view/69-gigabyte_ga-ex58-ud5.html

I think you should be able to restore this image on a USB stick with Disk Utility, if the USB stick does not boot, then install the bootloader and your ready!

This version is without dsmos.kext, because fakesmc.kext is used (good work on that Netkas)!

What's working:

- GA-EX85-UD5

- Sound with DSDT patch found in this thread (thanks Aschar)

- ATI cards (ATY_init by Netkas)

- Ethernet

- Reboot / Shutdown (didn't try sleep)

Yureka!

Initially, I was unable to get your USB disk image to boot on my EX58-UD5.

But Adam Pash's excellent guide "How to Build a Hackintosh with Snow Leopard, Start to Finish" describes step-by-step how to make a Snow Leopard USB boot drive.

Using his guide, Snow Leopard installed flawlessly but lacked onboard ethernet and I was unable to get any support for my 8800GT video card no matter what I tried.

On a hunch, I opened your boot file and substituted your Extra file for the guide's recommended Extra file, and Voila!

The result: A Leopard/Snow Leopard USB Chameleon boot drive with almost everything working out of the box!

The only things not working to be fully functional is Core Image/Quartz Extreme and Sleep.

When I boot my stable Leopard drive with the USB boot drive, the no CI/QE and no Sleep issue occurs then too.

My Leopard install with the onboard Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 works flawlessly, but no sleep.

CI/QE are critical for every day use. I've tried adding kexts from my stable Leopard's Extra folder to the flash drive's Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder to remedy the problem, but I've had no success.

I hope this Leopard/Snow Leopard USB Chameleon boot drive is just what the Hackintosh community needs to fully embrace the Snow Leopard experience.

Can you modify your Extra file to fix the no CE/QE issue?

Link to Adam Pash's guide: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Anybody want to try my USB stick image for GA-EX58-UD5 for Snowleopard 10.6 Build 10A432?

You can download it here: http://www.kexts.com/view/69-gigabyte_ga-ex58-ud5.html

I think you should be able to restore this image on a USB stick with Disk Utility, if the USB stick does not boot, then install the bootloader and your ready!

This version is without dsmos.kext, because fakesmc.kext is used (good work on that Netkas)!

What's working:

- GA-EX85-UD5

- Ethernet

mate you are a life saver

did exactly what MplsMacWright said and it worked

i mean fully working with sound internet full video card support

my specs

gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i7 920

ATI 4870 HD 512mb

12gb ram

a few other things

my hard drives are not showing up on the desktop only my usb stick

they are in finder though

didnt have to boot with any flags

not sure if it's running in 32 or 64 bit

so far been up about 20 minutes.

will have a play and see what happens

i'm guessing i have to boot with the usb stick can i change it to boot from the new snow?

i cant believe how easy it was once i changed the extra folder

thanks heaps

Hi

Just got 10.6 booted using retail dvd using Cmd-shift-G and Chameleon RC3 overlayed on top of RC2 using

EFI install - just needed to delete JMicronATAInjector.kext.

:)

I kept getting the kernel panic at boot with RC2, changing to RC3 fixed everything.

Radeon 4870 not using hardware acceleration yet but hopefully straightforward to fix?

Ethernet and sound working (copied my DSDT file across)

specs: EX58-UD5 initial bios (no windows install yet - waiting for 7)

12GB Corsair 1600MHz Ram

Radeon 4870 1Gb (PowerColor)

SnowLeopard on 1TB WD Caviar

Leopard 10.5.8 on 500GB Seagate

Been up for an hour without any probs, haven't done any mods to my install - seems faster than leopard

mouse seems a lot smoother

regards

Steve

mate you are a life saver

did exactly what MplsMacWright said and it worked

i mean fully working with sound internet full video card support

my specs

gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i7 920

ATI 4870 HD 512mb

12gb ram

a few other things

my hard drives are not showing up on the desktop only my usb stick

they are in finder though

didnt have to boot with any flags

not sure if it's running in 32 or 64 bit

so far been up about 20 minutes.

will have a play and see what happens

i'm guessing i have to boot with the usb stick can i change it to boot from the new snow?

i cant believe how easy it was once i changed the extra folder

thanks heaps

Hey, I'm glad to hear that your installation was as simple and foolproof as mine!

Are you sure that you have full video support?

In System Profiler/Graphics/Displays, does your display show Quartz Extreme: Supported?

Can you play a DVD video with DVD Player?

Hey, I'm glad to hear that your installation was as simple and foolproof as mine!

In System Profiler/Graphics/Displays, does your display show Quartz Extreme: Supported?

hello

just checked system profiler and this is what it says

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9440

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

DELL 2709W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

on my other leopard install ideneb v1.5.1 it actually does sayQuartz Extreme: Yes

having said all that when i had my other ati card Ati 3870x2 i was able to get full resolution but no QE

i installed a trial copy of Aperture but it would not run as it said my card does not support QE

so the first thing i did in Snow after noticing the above info was to instal Aperture again and it's working fine

so i'm guessing that QE is been supported.

As for DVD have one playing as i type this inserted a disc in selected drive region and it's playing happily away...playback is very smooth with sound.

so not sure what to make of al of this, is there something else i can check to see if it's been supported or not

hello

just checked system profiler and this is what it says

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9440

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

DELL 2709W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

on my other leopard install ideneb v1.5.1 it actually does sayQuartz Extreme: Yes

having said all that when i had my other ati card Ati 3870x2 i was able to get full resolution but no QE

i installed a trial copy of Aperture but it would not run as it said my card does not support QE

so the first thing i did in Snow after noticing the above info was to instal Aperture again and it's working fine

so i'm guessing that QE is been supported.

As for DVD have one playing as i type this inserted a disc in selected drive region and it's playing happily away...playback is very smooth with sound.

so not sure what to make of al of this, is there something else i can check to see if it's been supported or not

check out this link to see if QE is enabled in 10.6 since it no longer shows in system profiler

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

check out this link to see if QE is enabled in 10.6 since it no longer shows in system profiler

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

thanks for the link

all the methods mentioned are working so obviously QE is enabled

i should mention that this card ATI HD 4870 512mb is available as an upgrade on the Mac Pro $400AUD

whether that has anything to do with it i'm not sure.

the card is cheap enough here in Australia about $140 so i'm tempted to get another and run both if i can

how do i test if 64 bit is working?

thanks for the link

all the methods mentioned are working so obviously QE is enabled

i should mention that this card ATI HD 4870 512mb is available as an upgrade on the Mac Pro $400AUD

whether that has anything to do with it i'm not sure.

the card is cheap enough here in Australia about $140 so i'm tempted to get another and run both if i can

how do i test if 64 bit is working?

Systemprofiler->Softwaretab->64Bit kernel Support yes or No

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thank you for your work, i installed 10.6 without much problems.

My Setup:

UD5P

i7 920 (overclocked in the Bios to 3.0Ghz)

10GB Ram

Nvidia 9800GTX+

Here my results:

MacPro4,1

CPU-Speed: 3.2 GHz (!)

1 Processor

4 Cores

256KB Cache

8MB L3-Cache

10GB RAM

1.33 Busspeed

SMC-Version: 1.13f3

Audio fully working

Ethernet: 2 Ports (doesnt seem to be working, shows as "not connected")

Firewire working

Graphics: NVIDIA Graphics Card, 32bit color, Sync:off

DVD-Drive: Optiarc DVD RW fully working with Keyboard

Harddrives: Main functionning well, but those on the white Ports are not showing up.

64bit doesn't work for me

under Extensions its written: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin: Version3.4.0 64-Bit (Intel) :Yes

Can someone help me with the G-SATA Ports? I have 4 Drives connected but SnowLeo doesnt recognize them.

I initially had my Bios set to <RAID> and had 2 Raid1's with the 4 Drives. I want to be able to start SnowLeo in RAID mode and be able to use those Raid1 with Win7 and SnowLeo.

Yureka!

Initially, I was unable to get your USB disk image to boot on my EX58-UD5.

But Adam Pash's excellent guide "How to Build a Hackintosh with Snow Leopard, Start to Finish" describes step-by-step how to make a Snow Leopard USB boot drive.

Using his guide, Snow Leopard installed flawlessly but lacked onboard ethernet and I was unable to get any support for my 8800GT video card no matter what I tried.

On a hunch, I opened your boot file and substituted your Extra file for the guide's recommended Extra file, and Voila!

Hey MplsMacWright,

I also had great success with Adams guide on my EP45-ED3P system, and was wondering if you would be kind enough to upload the required X58 Extras folder from Cybex's USB image, no disrepect to Cybex intended.. :-)

Cheers

V:

This worked on my Rampage II Extreme too. I used the Extra folder from this thread and the install guide from the second post and just added my own DSDT.aml file.

Only problem I have is my ICH10 drives take an age to show up in Disk Utility to format them to HFS+. :D

Oh, and I had to delete ATIHD2000.kext from the installer disk/image because it was conflicting with ATY_Init for me. :D

Anybody want to try my USB stick image for GA-EX58-UD5 for Snow Leopard 10.6 Build 10A432?

THANK YOU! This worked perfectly for me on a GA-EX58-UD4P board. I used Adam Pash's LifeHacker method to get my system up and running.

Apparently I do not have full video support (thanks to exseven for pointing me to Prasys' blog.) I am so glad I figured out why I couldn't watch DVDs. But now how to fix it? I have an Nvidia GeForce 7300GT. I will try using an Nvidia kext in place of the ATI that is currently in Cybex's Extra folder and see if that works.

Also, it would seem that 64bit isn't working either as it is reported as "no" in System profiler. How do I get that up and running?

I second that too. I would like to be able to look at kexts suite used to be able to tweak the extensions.mkext build. Does anyone have the extensions folder available somewhere?

Thanks!

What's working:

- GA-EX85-UD5

- Ethernet

I tried using the start to finish guide, and replaced the Extras from your boot image, but ethernet is down.

It does not sync with my router, (link shows up, but doesn't function)

Also, sound is not working either.

I have EX58-UD5 with 6GB ram.

My Video also isn't working (I have 9500GT-512mb)

any ideas?

I have been spending much more time than I expected over this.

btw, i tried using Chameleon RC3 instead of RC2-640, and the system doesn't even boot to the USB.

Any help extremely appreciated.

thanks,.

I tried using the start to finish guide, and replaced the Extras from your boot image, but ethernet is down.

It does not sync with my router, (link shows up, but doesn't function)

Also, sound is not working either.

I have EX58-UD5 with 6GB ram.

My Video also isn't working (I have 9500GT-512mb)

any ideas?

I have been spending much more time than I expected over this.

btw, i tried using Chameleon RC3 instead of RC2-640, and the system doesn't even boot to the USB.

Any help extremely appreciated.

thanks,.

I too am having the same problem.

I have the 9800GTX > which I found works well using the guide from AquaMac http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1

I followed the guide from LifeHacker and used the same network card that they used, but it doesnt work the network just trinkles along and all network speed is slow. I did notice that the network does get faster when downloading a file. it goes from 1kbsec at the beginning of the download and gets faster as the download progresses.

when i took the card out, it shows up with the 2 onboard ethernets but they are red then become yellow when i plug them in, then become a absurd IP of 169.254.251.155 - which is not what the IP's my APPLE Time Machine Router uses.

I have tried DHCP, DHCP with Manual Address, and Manual.

Does this have to do with my apple router?

Anyways, heres my Specs:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

12GB CORSAIR 2xGB RAM

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Also there are problems with the boot for this. everytime i boot without the keydrive in there, it gives me the boot0:error -- I installed chameleon onto the drive and added my same boot configure to this, but no luck.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I am so happy to hear about all of your success. I don't understand why my system isn't working like all of yours. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Did any of you install Snow Leopoard with the retail disk, or did you use some other build?

I followed Adam Pash's guide. I put the Netkas boot file in, as described by the Pash's guide, and I put the Extra folder in, provided by Cybex, similar to what MplsMacWright said to do. Do I need something else, where am I going wrong?

Does it take a long time for it to boot into the installer - like more than 20 minutes to boot off of the flash drive? because I got the apple loading screen and it persisted for 15 minutes, and I rebooted and tried again, and same screen appeared and didnt seem to waiver.

Thanks very much in advance.

-al

--------------------

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz

RAM: OCZ 12 GB DDR3

Video Card: Sapphire RADEON HD4870 1 GB