10.6 Generic Retail Install Guide

noob766

414 posts in this topic

This is currently a huge issue i have been trying to work out.

if you restore your install disk to a usb drive or to a spare partition you will be able to boot it.

Well i ran out of time tonight. If all else fails, i'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the response

Hi I have a couple of questions that I hope someone would be nice enough to help me with.

First, is the 30 dollar "upgrade" version of SL all that is needed to run a semi-legit copy of os x with this? Or would the purchase of magic box thing be necessary? I know I heard on twit Leo Laporte say that his upgrade didn't prompt for a leopard key or anything so you should be able to do clean installs.

Secondly, what is a "vanilla" install? I've gathered that it means intel and not amd processors but what about nvidia chipsets?

Thanks

Intel DG33TL board here...

I got SL to install using the bootloard/boot/kext combo in this thread.

However, PCI devices aren't detected. My Nvidia GT7300 was detected perfectly.

I also had to boot with the -f -x32 option, because for some reason, the kextcache command just generates a useless file for me.

Intel DG33TL board here...

I got SL to install using the bootloard/boot/kext combo in this thread.

However, PCI devices aren't detected. My Nvidia GT7300 was detected perfectly.

I also had to boot with the -f -x32 option, because for some reason, the kextcache command just generates a useless file for me.

are the pci devices working? normally they don't show up but as long as the function correctly. it shouldn't be an issue.

This guide only covers how to get Snow Leopard Installed and running. all the other things like audio you have to find yourself because if i posted it here you would be looking at a 50 page guide.

check the hardware and drivers section in the insanelymac.com forum

and this link for more help Drivers

Hi I have a couple of questions that I hope someone would be nice enough to help me with.

First, is the 30 dollar "upgrade" version of SL all that is needed to run a semi-legit copy of os x with this? Or would the purchase of magic box thing be necessary? I know I heard on twit Leo Laporte say that his upgrade didn't prompt for a leopard key or anything so you should be able to do clean installs.

Secondly, what is a "vanilla" install? I've gathered that it means intel and not amd processors but what about nvidia chipsets?

Thanks

Vanilla is anything that can boot the stock kernel that comes with os x. I'm not sure what is vanilla and what isn't. sorry.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't rely on the motherboard so much as the processor though

check the tutorials section http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=45

read up so you are knowledgeable

hey noob, ill have the usb guide pm'd to you in about 10 minutes.

flash

Great Job Man!

are the pci devices working? normally they don't show up but as long as the function correctly. it shouldn't be an issue.

I am only using an RTL8139 based PCI NIC, and it is not working, even after putting the driver in the /Extras/Exts folder AND the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

I am only using an RTL8139 based PCI NIC, and it is not working, even after putting the driver in the /Extras/Exts folder AND the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

so audio has been annoyingly hard to fix in Snow Leopard, I've seen some solutions. let me see if i can find them again to help you out.

but if thats an ethernet drive you should be able to fix it with a dsdt patch.

did you run kext utility after placing them in?

if you put it in /extra/extension folder it won't boot because it doesn't have the root string at the bottom of it and it will probably be missing dependencies.

so audio has been annoyingly hard to fix in Snow Leopard, I've seen some solutions. let me see if i can find them again to help you out.

but if thats an ethernet drive you should be able to fix it with a dsdt patch.

did you run kext utility after placing them in?

if you put it in /extra/extension folder it won't boot because it doesn't have the root string at the bottom of it and it will probably be missing dependencies.

I'm manually doing the chown/chmod commands.

The PCI device shows up in the device tree, but for some reason, the kext isn't loading it properly as a device. I've uploaded a pic of the IORegistry entry as well as the Info.plist for the kext... do you see any issues there?

post-163963-1251780192_thumb.png

I'm manually doing the chown/chmod commands.

The PCI device shows up in the device tree, but for some reason, the kext isn't loading it properly as a device. I've uploaded a pic of the IORegistry entry as well as the Info.plist for the kext... do you see any issues there?

download this Kext Utility

and run it. it repairs permissions for you.

FlashGX deserves a round of applause for making that usb bootloader guide, which I will be making one for myself tomorrow :)

Is anyone still suffering from the problem the bootloader stops at a black screen and the dvd drive stops reading??

I need a bootloader that WORKS on my Inspiron 1520, someone PLEASE PLEASE help me!!

-Matt

when you say the bootloader? which bootloader are you talking about. this guide contains three of them

since the boot file under boot-132 can't detect dvd drives then I suppose it needs another patch or where could this problem come from?

the script inside the boot file it needs to be altered. but its tough scripting and i would have to start from the ground up adding 64-bit support.

there might be a simple workaround, but I haven't found it yet.

the script inside the boot file it needs to be altered. but its tough scripting and i would have to start from the ground up adding 64-bit support.

Hmm, that's bad news... also the disk1s0 trick doesn't work. I remember the optical drive number on leopard's 132 bootloader was disk #31 but this trick didn't seem to work either, so I'm outta ideas..

Hmm, that's bad news... also the disk1s0 trick doesn't work. I remember the optical drive number on leopard's 132 bootloader was disk #31 but this trick didn't seem to work either, so I'm outta ideas..

thats the point i'm at too unfortunately :(

but its not that much of a hassle to restore the dvd onto a partition and you can boot that.

download this Kext Utility

and run it. it repairs permissions for you.

FlashGX deserves a round of applause for making that usb bootloader guide, which I will be making one for myself tomorrow :(

The problem seems to be that i was running the 64bit kernel, and it didn't want to load the driver. I'm trying the 32 bit kernel now. I got it to load once though by booting in to single user mode, using kextload to load the driver, then continue booting.

But, i haven't been able to get it to boot since with the NIC working.

The problem seems to be that i was running the 64bit kernel, and it didn't want to load the driver. I'm trying the 32 bit kernel now. I got it to load once though by booting in to single user mode, using kextload to load the driver, then continue booting.

But, i haven't been able to get it to boot since with the NIC working.

did you try these flags -arch=i386 -x32 -v

if that doesn't work add the -f flag

Usb boot works like a charm, i am on snow leopard right now. install took not much over 15 minutes. and its totally vanilla! just goota fix up chameleon and ill have a fully working triboot system! sl, win 7 and win vista!

flash

Congrats man! Awesome job

did you try these flags -arch=i386 -x32 -v

if that doesn't work add the -f flag

The only way i've been able to get it to work is to boot in to single user mode (-s -f -x32 for good measure), THEN use "kextload AppleRTL8139.kext" (even though it already tried and failed to load with the error below) then type "exit" to continue booting. This seems to work for either the 64bit or 32bit kernel.

If I use -x32, it tries and fails to load AppleRTL8139 saying something like "mach-o file malformed invalid magic number xfeedface".

I'm thinking RTL8139 either needs to load earlier or later in the boot process...

The only way i've been able to get it to work is to boot in to single user mode (-s -f -x32 for good measure), THEN use "kextload AppleRTL8139.kext" (even though it already tried and failed to load with the error below) then type "exit" to continue booting. This seems to work for either the 64bit or 32bit kernel.

If I use -x32, it tries and fails to load AppleRTL8139 saying something like "mach-o file malformed invalid magic number xfeedface".

I'm thinking RTL8139 either needs to load earlier or later in the boot process...

ohhh did you remove the one from your extra folder?

remove it then download a new kext and place that one in system/library/extensions/

run kext utility to repair permissions

ya its probably booting without the required dependency kexts.

You are using this kext right?

AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext.zip

I did it it; working but after I register a new account and transfer all my data when I tried to restart and than start again form the boot132 (for 10.6) it gives me a kernel panic that says that instead of 2 the systems recognise only 1 cpu core

The problem was becsause I transferr al my files, after that I reinstall, and register a new user than restart, BUT after restart the keyboard and the mouse are not responding about 6 min. after that it works, but still all mt kext doesn't work on 64bit