10.6 Generic Retail Install Guide

noob766

414 posts in this topic

I tried following your guide to make a boot 132 cd but when it got into chameleon it didn't show the DVD drive and i have no idea if it is possible to enter in bootflags like it was in pc_efi. So do you have any idea what i should i try to get it to work?

I tried following your guide to make a boot 132 cd but when it got into chameleon it didn't show the DVD drive and i have no idea if it is possible to enter in bootflags like it was in pc_efi. So do you have any idea what i should i try to get it to work?

its in the guide my friend

To boot from a physical DVD if it doesn't show on Chameleon use this boot flag

-rd(X,Y)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXsY

Where X is the location of your DVD drive.

To find it

• Open Disk Utility
  • Right click your dvd drive and click Information
  • Look for DiskX
  • You might need a dvd in the drive to see it
  • or you can open Terminal
  • Run this command
  • diskutil list

its in the guide my friend

To boot from a physical DVD if it doesn't show on Chameleon use this boot flag

Where X is the location of your DVD drive.

To find it

• Open Disk Utility
  • Look for DiskX
  • Run this command
  • diskutil list

So does that all go into the boot.plist or is there a way to enter it while in chameleon? Sorry if that question sounds stupid, this is all relatively new to me.

So does that all go into the boot.plist or is there a way to enter it while in chameleon? Sorry if that question sounds stupid, this is all relatively new to me.

don't put it into the plist. you won't be able to boot up any other drive then

you have to type it in at the chameleon boot screen

Hi noob766,

I've build exactly how you've described it a boot132 CD. I've just add a DSDT file into int initrd.img /Extras.

I've not added any additional kext's than yours.

post-92077-1251703290_thumb.jpg

When I boot, it works fine, first, but then I get into the Chameleon screen, the progess bar wents to the left side and then (or when I interrupt using F8), I get this black box on top.

Putting in my Retail SL DVD does not work / does not recognize it.

Any ideas?

Oh - I try this on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe board.

Thanks in advance!

Nemo

Hi noob766,

I've build exactly how you've described it a boot132 CD. I've just add a DSDT file into int initrd.img /Extras.

I've not added any additional kext's than yours.

post-92077-1251703290_thumb.jpg

When I boot, it works fine, first, but then I get into the Chameleon screen, the progess bar wents to the left side and then (or when I interrupt using F8), I get this black box on top.

Putting in my Retail SL DVD does not work / does not recognize it.

Any ideas?

Oh - I try this on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe board.

Thanks in advance!

Nemo

Please read the guide first if you have questions!

you are experiencing a boot hang because you have nothing booting your graphics driver.

Been creating almost the Boot132 cd. Will fix the last part tomorrow when I will add the efi string for the new grahics card to the bootlist an patch a DSDT.aml with my audio. then I will be trying this little baby out. SO Criss ya fingers that it will work tomorrow :)

could you post this one? It could possibly work on other p5k boards.

thanks

Please read the guide if you are going to ask questions!. it has answers!

you are experiencing a boot hang because you have nothing booting your graphics driver.

Hmm a very rude way to say "include the device-properties into the apple.com.Boot.plist" :)

But thanks anyway.

I didn't mean it as rude, but the last three questions I've answered were covered in the guide :)

Haha! No problems, sorry - took it too personal. I've had same questions again and again in my own Leopard Guide and I know how this is. But you're right, I haven't read it carefully enough or simply didn't understand what to do at this specific point ;)

Many thanks for your guidance here. I hope I can get it to work :D

Haha! No problems, sorry - took it too personal. I've had same questions again and again in my own Leopard Guide and I know how this is. But you're right, I haven't read it carefully enough or simply didn't understand what to do at this specific point :)

Many thanks for your guidance here. I hope I can get it to work ;)

good luck! if you don't understand i have no problem answering questions

well even if it is covered i'll still answer it. just changes how much sarcasm is involved :D

the problem is probably nvenabler and nvinject, use only one of them

noob766 thank you for the quick response and help so far :)

I removed nvenabler from both EFI and Install volumes, same kernel panic, then I removed nvinject and still had the problem. I review the text on the screen and if it helps I notice "type 14=page fault". Also I checked to make sure there was no \extra\extensions.mkext in both EFI and Install volumes. I also booted using "-x32 -f -s -x -v" same panic message. :(

That's good - because here comes my next one :/

So you were right with the graphics driver. The OSx86 Tools helped me to create my device-properties string and this works fine. But! After booting the CD, and replacing it with the Snow Leopard DVD, it does not recognize the Snow Leopard DVD :S When I press F8, just my Leopard HDD drops a menu below and give me some options. Amazingly enough - I can't boot my Leopard from here. It stops loading.

That's good - because here comes my next one :/

So you were right with the graphics driver. The OSx86 Tools helped me to create my device-properties string and this works fine. But! After booting the CD, and replacing it with the Snow Leopard DVD, it does not recognize the Snow Leopard DVD :S When I press F8, just my Leopard HDD drops a menu below and give me some options. Amazingly enough - I can't boot my Leopard from here. It stops loading.

did you hit f8 before or after you swapped disks?

if that doesn't work you can do this

To boot from a physical DVD if it doesn't show on Chameleon use this boot flag at the chameleon screen

Where X is the location of your DVD drive. and Y is the Partition

To find it

• Open Disk Utility
  • Look for DiskX
  • Run this command
  • diskutil list

noob766 thank you for the quick response and help so far :)

I removed nvenabler from both EFI and Install volumes, same kernel panic, then I removed nvinject and still had the problem. I review the text on the screen and if it helps I notice "type 14=page fault". Also I checked to make sure there was no \extra\extensions.mkext in both EFI and Install volumes. I also booted using "-x32 -f -s -x -v" same panic message. :(

so. i can think of a few reasons that might be the cause then

you are missing a driver for an essential system part that isn't supported by Mac OS X (Sata/IDE controller, CPU, Motherboard) Post your LSPCI, at the bottom of my guide it explains how to find it using OSx86 Tools. and check the optional kexts section for more fixes and the drivers website i linked.

Your computer doesn't work with the vanilla kernel

the changes you made to the retail install disk made it un-bootable.

I'm off to sleep be back in a few hours.

so. i can think of a few reasons that might be the cause then

you are missing a driver for an essential system part that isn't supported by Mac OS X (Sata/IDE controller, CPU, Motherboard) Post your LSPCI, at the bottom of my guide it explains how to find it using OSx86 Tools. and check the optional kexts section for more fixes and the drivers website i linked.

Your computer doesn't work with the vanilla kernel

the changes you made to the retail install disk made it un-bootable.

I'm off to sleep be back in a few hours.

haha good news, I screwed up by copying the boot file to the Boot volume instead of the EFI volume, corrected that and now currently staring at GUI setup. I just gave myself a reason to stay up. I'll see how far I can get :(

haha good news, I screwed up by copying the boot file to the Boot volume instead of the EFI volume, corrected that and now currently staring at GUI setup. I just gave myself a reason to stay up. I'll see how far I can get :(

wow thats good! good luck my friend. Stay thirsty. dos equis

I wonder if thats legal to post lol :)

I've hit a dead end it seems, typing in the command as instructed in the guide results in my PC instantly rebooting. It's odd because i included my DSDT.aml as needed, and followed the guide as each instruction. I know my PC is capable of running snow leopard as it's not the first time running it, only first time making a boot 132 cd. Does anyone have any idea what seems to be going on?

did you hit f8 before or after you swapped disks?

if that doesn't work you can do this

To boot from a physical DVD if it doesn't show on Chameleon use this boot flag at the chameleon screen

Where X is the location of your DVD drive. and Y is the Partition

To find it

• Open Disk Utility
  • Look for DiskX
  • Run this command
  • diskutil list

Ok I tried that. Leopard tells me that it's drive 1 / disk1s0. But when I try to boot using:

-rd(1,0)/mach_kernel -v -rf=disk1s0

It simply ignores the SL DVD and jumps directly to the HD to boot from. I'll now try to boot it without a HD. Just to be sure.

EDIT: No success. Even with no HD, I get the photographed screen, and I can't boot with the options you gave me. I tried that using my SATA and USB DVD drives.

So it seems that a non-working graphics driver will cause a boot hang in 10.6 I'm looking into a generic fix. If you have any ideas let me know.
I'm gonna try to help on this just commenting my experience.

I installed Snow Leo using this guide, I also used EFI strings for my Geforce GO 7300 but I couldn't boot so I tried to boot with -v and I saw that boot hangs on: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT"

if you have exactly that error when you boot with -v, it can be solved disabling the LAN on BIOS (I will try to do that when I arrive home, hope my BIOS has that option...)

BTW, I have seen that long time ago an user had the same problem trying to install Leopard with Kalyway, he could solve non installing any kext for nvidia....

hope it helps to find a solution to that matter

For all who have IOATAFamily.kext Panic or similar

read this:

http://netkas.org/?p=125

It may solve the problem on some plattform but did not work for me on HP6710b

For people who still get Panic remove the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from plugin folder of your IOATAFamily.kext or remove the complete kext for now.

It will boot your system but without IDE support.

GMA X3100 is only suported in 32 bit mode in SL. Changing EFI strings wont make a difference

Thank you very much for this hint. System always booted in X64 even with x32. Had to add an arch flag in com.apple.Boot.plist

battery.pkg.zip

Can you tell me what the package does, who made it? I'm still stuck on getting battery icon to work.

noob766, just about to test another disk for you.

will let you know my result in 5 or 10 minutes.

flash

EDIT: No luck, my screen goes black after attempting to boot the cd, its not recognising the cd, its not reading my boot.plist either.

ill keep at it.

Can anyone post that theyve had success? ill have a read back.

For all who have IOATAFamily.kext Panic or similar

read this:

http://netkas.org/?p=125

It may solve the problem on some plattform but did not work for me on HP6710b

For people who still get Panic remove the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from plugin folder of your IOATAFamily.kext or remove the complete kext for now.

It will boot your system but without IDE support.

Did not work either way. Same Error with or without it. Tried another kext from the forums. a modified IOATAFamily.kext for SL, that didn't work either.

I guess I'll give this "snowosx Universal 10.6 v3.5.1 for PC" disk off the nova a try.

i am trying my hardest to make a boot 132 disc but get stuck because i do not understand the guide i get stuck after the first part where i have to copy the files to the folder then after that i put the commands into the terminal and get an error message. Is there something i am not getting please tell me what i am getting wrong. I would use the simbuild boot132 creator but i am sure that will not work because i have to change the boot file.

Please correct me on what i am doing wrong. :P