10.6 Generic Retail Install Guide

noob766

414 posts in this topic

Starting to get it now. yess this is somehow how I have understood it. But last question now ( and yess I will be tomorrow most likly after installation of my new graåhic card try the 2 cd way so to say.) you guide does in other words create a so call dvd ON the computer, not on an physical DVD. so you use the restored retail dvd ON yoru Hard drive to install.

In my case:

HD 1: Leopard 10.5.7

HD 2: Restored retail DVD with EFI partition by following your guide

Chameleon cd using sonotone's guide beeing used to bootup and boot the HD2 in my case as it woudl be a dvd using this part in Sonotone's guide:

Boot Partitions:

When the bootloader ask you for rescan, press any key (not ENTER).

Go to Boot options (f8), then choose your partition.

Now, When I boot up with the HD 2 using thismethod ( If I have gotten it right that is) I will get to the installation. From there I would be able to use the diskutility to Do a wipe of HD 1 with using a GUUID partition table. IF I woudl then instal SL on that one I would still lack kexts and DSDT and Chameloent and so on. Now comes me question, While at Installation, before I choose to install, I can open a terminal. Would it in Theory then be posible for me to copy the EFI folder with an installed chameleont and all the kexts, or atleast the kexts over to the new ( HD 1) EFi side? would that in theory work? OR how would you actually go on to install with this method?

Starting to get it now. yess this is somehow how I have understood it. But last question now ( and yess I will be tomorrow most likly after installation of my new graåhic card try the 2 cd way so to say.) you guide does in other words create a so call dvd ON the computer, not on an physical DVD. so you use the restored retail dvd ON yoru Hard drive to install.

In my case:

HD 1: Leopard 10.5.7

HD 2: Restored retail DVD with EFI partition by following your guide

Chameleon cd using sonotone's guide beeing used to bootup and boot the HD2 in my case as it woudl be a dvd using this part in Sonotone's guide:

Now, When I boot up with the HD 2 using thismethod ( If I have gotten it right that is) I will get to the installation. From there I would be able to use the diskutility to Do a wipe of HD 1 with using a GUUID partition table. IF I woudl then instal SL on that one I would still lack kexts and DSDT and Chameloent and so on. Now comes me question, While at Installation, before I choose to install, I can open a terminal. Would it in Theory then be posible for me to copy the EFI folder with an installed chameleont and all the kexts, or atleast the kexts over to the new ( HD 1) EFi side? would that in theory work? OR how would you actually go on to install with this method?

are they different hard disks? or one disk partitioned.

i'm working on a boot 132 disk right now.

Different Hard disks. I sooo woudl love to have a working Boot132. I whish I would be able to help out but the only thing Im good at is to search and nag :)

Different Hard disks. I sooo woudl love to have a working Boot132. I whish I would be able to help out but the only thing Im good at is to search and nag :)

ohh then you have no problem then. you can boot up and repartition just when you boot up the second time select the dvd with the chameleon on it first. then if you can select your snow leopard install, do that

otherwise use this command

-rd(X,2)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXs2

If your partition map is only 1 partition or snow leopard partition sits at the top of your partitions for that drive

Edit - I believe I just had Success with making a boot-132 disc...

Okey so I wasnt totally missunderstanding yoru guide. may I ask one last thing then?

Making the Install DVD

* Mount Snow Leopard Distribution

* Open up Disk Utility.

* Click the partition or DVD to be the Installer

* Click restore

* Drag Mac OS X Install DVD to source

* Drag Empty Partition or DVD to Destination

* Check Erase Destination

I mount the SL. open diskutility. Click the DVD to be the installer. Click restore, Drag Mac OSX Install DVD to source and then I guess I can drag an empty dvd as the destination?. This meens i will be able to when I am done with yoru guide to burn this dvd with the chameleont and all the kexts on it? this is exactly what I was hoping yoru guide woudl doo :D I jsut simple did not get it at first. I apologize for that :( Thank you for a great guide. I will try it out tomorrow after the installation of my new graphic card :D i will post here how it goes ofcourse, and exactly what steps i have taken.

Okey so I wasnt totally missunderstanding yoru guide. may I ask one last thing then?

I mount the SL. open diskutility. Click the DVD to be the installer. Click restore, Drag Mac OSX Install DVD to source and then I guess I can drag an empty dvd as the destination?. This meens i will be able to when I am done with yoru guide to burn this dvd with the chameleont and all the kexts on it? this is exactly what I was hoping yoru guide woudl doo :D I jsut simple did not get it at first. I apologize for that :( Thank you for a great guide. I will try it out tomorrow after the installation of my new graphic card :D i will post here how it goes ofcourse, and exactly what steps i have taken.

you might want to keep the install dvd retail, and make no changes to it and use a different cd for a bootloader. or the efi partition. i'll post a guide for the boot-132 method, since i can't test it any further on my machine because it boots up the chameleon on my machine after it loads the kexts.

but you need to input the command lines

-rd(X,Y)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXsY to get it to boot.

X is the disk. Y is the partition.

Sure, will be looing forward to that guide and I will try it out earliest tomorrow.

Simple put, A way to boot the retail dvd ( either with Boot 132 or some other way) and make sure that the isntallation does not just install the retail SL but adds the fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart and whatever other kexts you need. That is what I am looking for and I guess a lott of other people since it would simplify a lott.

Just read this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182884

Is yours doing something like this or?? sounds to easy to be true :( used to things not beeing to easy when trying to add an OS on a comp not originally ment for it :D

Just read this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182884

Is yours doing something like this or?? sounds to easy to be true :( used to things not beeing to easy when trying to add an OS on a comp not originally ment for it :D

hrmm Idk about that since snow leopard doesn't like bootloaders that don't support 64 bit. but basically yes. i changed the boot file, and the kexts

kinda funny that two people figured it out at the same time.

:( I will be trying this tomorrow atleast. Now I only have to find a nice guide that tells me how to ad the exakt kextss My system needs to a boot132 cd. time to search the forums again :D

finally got mine to work i installed it from a partition and used your boot method noob now it works fine after install i deleted all the GMA950 and the framebuffer kexts used an external monitor and set it up put the kexts back in and now use the EFI string and have dual monitors now and im only using 3 extra kexts plus my 3 voodoo kexts for PS2 HDA and SDHC thanx alot for your help ive been beating my head in for days :(

I'll be happy to help you out tomorrow morning but I need this information

Motherboard:

CPU:

Graphics:

Chipset:

Thanks for the help. Seems my motherboard wasn't the best choice nor the GPU.

Motherboard: Intel DX58SO

CPU: i7 920

Graphics: ASUS EAH4870 DK 1GB

Chipset: I honestly don't know nor how to even check. ;)

When the install is finished, is it going to be able to just boot up into SL without any other interaction? My Dell Mini 9 just boot right into Leopard right away without any user input. Just wanting to be sure this one will too. I'm installing SL on an 80GB SSD and will be keeping my Vista/7 on another HDD that I'll boot to using my BIOS boot options on start up.

Hi,

I've been trying this on a DFI DK X48TR2SB for the last two days and getting now where. ;)

1. Installed 10.5.2 Kalway on disk3 running the mach_kernal with 8800GTS 320

2. Created a GUID partition on disk0 with 4 partitions all HFS

3. Restored a 10.6 DVD onto a 10G parition on Disk0

4. Ran Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg selected "Mac OS X Install DVD" as the target.

5. Copied the boot to the "Mac OS X Install DVD root" and the EFI root

6. Updated the Extra\com.apple.Boot.plist with the device string for my video card

7. Have these kext in Extra\Extensions on both EFI and DVD partition:

• AHCIPortInjector
  • AppleIntelPIIXATA
  • ATAPortInjector (deleted)
  • fakeSMC
  • IOAHCIBlockInjector
  • JMiconATA (deleted)
  • JMicronATAInjector (deleted)
  • NULLCPUPowerManagement
  • NVEnabler 0.1
  • NVinject
  • OpenHaltRestart

8. have a modifed DSDT.aml I made with DSDT patcher to so the CMOS isnt reset everytime I crash.

9. Set my bios to select disk0 as the startup disk.

10. Select -v -x32 for the DVD Partition in the bootloader

11. diplays a few pages of stuff and then clears the screen and KP

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Fixed. Removed Jmicron* and ATAPortInjector and its up and running in -v -x32 mode.

Updated 30Aug2009 : copied boot, DSDT.aml, and /Extra from the EFI partition to the installed partition and it boots and runs in x64 mode with everything running but sound.

Update: Using VoodooHDA 2.1 64bit have playback working, but no mic.

Been creating almost the Boot132 cd. Will fix the last part tomorrow when I will add the efi string for the new grahics card to the bootlist an patch a DSDT.aml with my audio. then I will be trying this little baby out. SO Criss ya fingers that it will work tomorrow :)

Hi,

I've been trying this on a DFI DK X48TR2SB for the last two days and getting now where. :D

1. Installed 10.5.2 Kalway on disk3 running the mach_kernal with 8800GTS 320

2. Created a GUID partition on disk0 with 4 partitions all HFS

3. Restored a 10.6 DVD onto a 10G parition

4. Ran Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg selected "Mac OS X Install DVD" as the target.

5. Copied the boot to the "Mac OS X Install DVD root" and the EFI root

6. Updated the Extra\com.apple.Boot.plist with the device string for my video card

7. Have these kext in Extra\Extensions on both EFI and DVD partition:

• AHCIPortInjector
  • AppleIntelPIIXATA
  • ATAPortInjector
  • fakeSMC
  • IOAHCIBlockInjector
  • JMiconATA
  • JMicronATAInjector
  • NULLCPUPowerManagement
  • NVEnabler 0.1
  • NVinject
  • OpenHaltRestart

8. have a modifed DSDT.aml I made with DSDT patcher to so the CMOS isnt reset everytime I crash.

9. Set my bios to select disk0 as the startup disk.

10. Select -v -x32 for the DVD Partition in the bootloader

11. diplays a few pages of stuff and then clears the screen and KP

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Fixed. Removed Jmicron* and ATAPortInjector and its up and running in -v -x32 mode.

i was going to say that. you can't have kexts that handle the same job.

on the boot-132 disc i'm going to try and add the mach kernal from 10.6 to get around flag issues.

didn't work. back to drawing board.

edit - think i had a breakthrough on making it simpler. testing it out.

edit2- success. posting a guide

Updated. with Boot-132 cd creation method, rejoice!

Chipset: I honestly don't know nor how to even check. :)

When the install is finished, is it going to be able to just boot up into SL without any other interaction? My Dell Mini 9 just boot right into Leopard right away without any user input. Just wanting to be sure this one will too. I'm installing SL on an 80GB SSD and will be keeping my Vista/7 on another HDD that I'll boot to using my BIOS boot options on start up.

sorry this is taking so long. first free chance i get i'll help you out.

Generic Retail Install Guide

Vanilla Only

Making a Boot-132 Disc + Method

Here is an example if you need help with the formatting

OSXLOADER.iso.zip

Files Needed

How to make the Disc (SuperHai)

• Open Terminal

mkdir newiso

copy following from the package into the new directory newiso from BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY

• initrd.img
  • isolinux.bin
  • isolinux.cfg
  • mboot.c32
  • Copy the boot file you downloaded over the one from BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY

You will probably need to change the size of initrd.img

hdiutil resize -size 20MB newiso/initrd.img

• The kexts you use need to have a special string at the bottom of it's info.plist

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Root</string>

or

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Console</string>

• Open initrd.img
  • Put your kexts into initrd.img/extra/extensions/
  • or an extensions.mkext into initrd.img/extra/
  • Place a com.apple.boot.plist with your efi strings into initrd.img/extra
  • If you want to use a dsdt.aml also place that in initrd.img/extra
  • detach initrd.img
  • Place this extra folder in /newiso/ (not the one inside initrd.img)
  • Extra.zip
  • Add any efi strings you need into the com.apple.boot.plist in /newiso/extra/
  • Run this command

sudo hdiutil makehybrid -o new.iso newiso/ -iso -eltorito-boot newiso/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot

• Burn the iso to a dvd using disk utility.
  • Reboot
  • At the Chameleon Screen Hit F8

I made the CD. It boots, enters in CHameleon, but I press F8, then put the Retail SL and then press Enter it sais that not find mach_kernel. I tried with the -rd(X,1).... flag and the same response "cannot find mach_kernel". The retail DVD is good, tested. Can somebody tell me where I wrong?

I made the CD. It boots, enters in CHameleon, but I press F8, then put the Retail SL and then press Enter it sais that not find mach_kernel. I tried with the -rd(X,1).... flag and the same response "cannot find mach_kernel". The retail DVD is good, tested. Can somebody tell me where I wrong?

When I have tried this, the partition containing the kernel on the install dvd is not diskXs1. It has always been diskXs3. Boot your running copy of leopard and insert the install dvd. Then open a terminal and type:

diskutil list

Look at the report and locate the OS X Install partition. That will tell you the correct diskXsY values.

When I have tried this, the partition containing the kernel on the install dvd is not diskXs1. It has always been diskXs3. Boot your running copy of leopard and insert the install dvd. Then open a terminal and type:

diskutil list

Look at the report and locate the OS X Install partition. That will tell you the correct diskXsY values.

thank you i will add it to the guide

Chipset: I honestly don't know nor how to even check. :(

so looks like most of yours works out of the box except you have to boot with this flag busratio=20

can you post your lspci?

Been creating almost the Boot132 cd. Will fix the last part tomorrow when I will add the efi string for the new grahics card to the bootlist an patch a DSDT.aml with my audio. then I will be trying this little baby out. SO Criss ya fingers that it will work tomorrow :(

I posted a guide about it! good luck trogain

I am stuck with the same kernel panic on two test machines, a Shuttle SG33G5 and a HP Mini 1000.

I am using an 8GB thumb drive setup as a GPT disk with 3 volumes, the hidden "EFI", "Boot", and "Install Snow Leopard". Chameleon RC2 is on the Boot volume using EFI HFS option and a vanilla restore of the GM dvd is on the Install volume. I am doing all the work on the USB drive via a VMware guest of Leopard.

Here is a screenshot of the contents of the 3 volumes

stuck.png

I am stuck with the same kernel panic on two test machines, a Shuttle SG33G5 and a HP Mini 1000.

I am using an 8GB thumb drive setup as a GPT disk with 3 volumes, the hidden "EFI", "Boot", and "Install Snow Leopard". Chameleon RC2 is on the Boot volume using EFI HFS option and a vanilla restore of the GM dvd is on the Install volume. I am doing all the work on the USB drive via a VMware guest of Leopard.

Here is a screenshot of the contents of the 3 volumes

stuck.png

the problem is probably nvenabler and nvinject, use only one of them