[GUIDE] How to install Os X 10.6 on Maximus Formula [V4.0 - BOOT-132!]

nonne9

134 posts in this topic

i got my SL booted up and running in 32 bit i am using a Aty_int Kexts for my GTX25 wits is not 64 bit compatible. Can some 1 show me a post with instructions how to get My Gfx Efi String My card is not in the EFIStudio program.

Anyone had any luck with the new FakeSMC running 64bit ?

That's the one that was released Sept 12 correct? That is the one I am using (used it right from the start of my install). Running 64 bit with no issues.

Aside from the things I did listed in my previous post (post 96) I couldn't offer you any insight into why it works fine for me though, sorry.

When you boot up maybe try manually specifying boot flag -x64?

That's the one that was released Sept 12 correct? That is the one I am using (used it right from the start of my install). Running 64 bit with no issues.

Aside from the things I did listed in my previous post (post 96) I couldn't offer you any insight into why it works fine for me though, sorry.

When you boot up maybe try manually specifying boot flag -x64?

That worked (-x64) cheers bud.

Is PCI EFI 10.1 now in Chameleon RC3 released maybe a week ago? Can I use the rc2 installer then out in the /boot from the rc3 binary? I did read some posts at the chameleon site about some audio issues with rc3?

There is another thread on this asus maximus formula/rampage guide. I like your guide but his guide is useful for creating your own the dsdt to get usb, power and sleep to work. With this edited DSDT I can actaully remove some of the jexts you have in the Extra folder.

I did not want to post the link it can be found easily but here is some of the dsdt mod.

# In the "Device (SATA)" section, add this above "Method (_REG, 2, NotSerialized)".

CODE

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

# In the "Device (EUSB)" section, add this below the "Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)" section (below the closing brace!).

CODE

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x02)

{

"device-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x3A, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

# In the "Device (USBE)" section, apply the same fix as in step 9, except substitute "0x3A" with "0x3C".

# In the "Device (USB0)" section, apply the same fix as in step 9, except substitute "0x3A" with "0x34".

# In the "Device (USB1)" section, apply the same fix as in step 9, except substitute "0x35" with "0x34".

# In the "Device (USB2)" section, apply the same fix as in step 9, except substitute "0x36" with "0x34".

EDITED SEVERAL HOURS LATER:

I decided to use the DSDTSE application and created my own DSDT since I have a different processor, memory and the motherboard is actually a Maximus Formula Extreme version.

I also had to replace the boot RC2 with RC3 because I was getting Kernel Panics after I booted into snow a few seconds later it would just Panic.

I did not have to use VoodooHDA or any Graphics injector, AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, nor IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Not sure why I have to replace "IONetworkingFamily.kext" with yours? It did not seem that the other guide said to do so nor did it have those extra kexts you have there? With a fully working DSDT I have to assume that is why those kexts are excluded?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a properly working 10.6, then the upgrade to 10.6.1 is no problems what so ever. As long as youhave all yoru extra kexts in /Extra/Extensions.

EFI 10.3 is allready out. Check out netkas.org. believe me, GOOOOOD stuff :hysterical:

Chameleont RC3 with EFI 10.3 works charms. atleast on my system. Now only waiting for the 10.6.2 that should be speeding up my HD4870 :hysterical:

Anyone running the 64bit kernel with sleep issues? I have SleepEnabler.kext installed. I only have sleep issues sometimes, not all the time. Sometimes when I put it to sleep the monitor will lose video like it's going to sleep but the computer keeps running, again this isn't every time. The only way to get out of this is power the machine off and back on. If it does actually fully enter sleep mode it always wakes up fine.

i am able to boot in 64 bit mood after following the guide but wen i shut down or restart the computer and try to boot again i get a KP. i have to reaply all the kext and dsdt and then it will boot in 64 bit again... when in 64 bit i get no Kp it operates fine, but once shut down or restarted... upon the next booting it will give kernel panic..

i tried few things and it seem to be once i boot in 64 and access the internet or try to use the ethernet wen it restart/shutdown it will have Kp wen booting up so does any1 know wat i can do to fix this as to get it stable and i dont have to re-applying the kexts and dsdt?

i have currently Gotten my 64 bit to be working stable (been able to boot after shutting down)

what i did was i

-Updated my PC EFI 10.1 to 10.5

-Use Osx86 tools utility as Krisso as said on page 5

-i removed the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Drive/System/Library/Extensions and placed it in /Extra/Extensions.

Once again thank you all!!!!!! :D

Nonne9 :thumbsup_anim:

i will keep u all posted :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had any luck with 10.6.2 ??

I updated but get constant kp's in 64bit. Luckily i backed up my Extensions folder and kernel before the update and had to go back. What experiences is others having with the Maximus Formula ??

I tried moving IONetworkingFamily.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder to see if that made any difference but still received a kp. I also tried repairing permissions with OSX86Tools but no joy, also when booting from the SnowLeopard DVD and running permissions repair (using -x32 -v) it seems to fix several permissions, but if Disk Utility is re-ran straight after, the same permissions keep being repaired (like its not actually repairing the permissions). Everything is hunky dory on 10.6.1 so a little baffled to whats causing the kp's.

I tried looking through the 10.6.2 combo update with pacifist but it looks like quite a lot of extensions have been updated so not really sure where to begin.

I updated but get constant kp's in 64bit. Luckily i backed up my Extensions folder and kernel before the update and had to go back. What experiences is others having with the Maximus Formula ??

I tried moving IONetworkingFamily.kext to the /Extra/Extensions folder to see if that made any difference but still received a kp. I also tried repairing permissions with OSX86Tools but no joy, also when booting from the SnowLeopard DVD and running permissions repair (using -x32 -v) it seems to fix several permissions, but if Disk Utility is re-ran straight after, the same permissions keep being repaired (like its not actually repairing the permissions). Everything is hunky dory on 10.6.1 so a little baffled to whats causing the kp's.

I tried looking through the 10.6.2 combo update with pacifist but it looks like quite a lot of extensions have been updated so not really sure where to begin.

i am using 10.6.2 just updated and restart from apple... its working fine thus far did not have to make any change of any kind/sort.. my motherboard however is a Rampage Formula...

How to update to 10.6.2 from a fully working 10.6.1 (64-bit mode on a MF board).

Got a KP without the new SleepEnabler.kext from netkas, so the procedure is as follows:

Deleted SleepEnabler.kext from Extra/Extensions

Downloaded 10.6.2 update through software update

Installed it and Rebooted

Copied new Netkas 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext link, to Extra/Extensions

Get it here: http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...nabler.kext.zip

Set permissions:

• chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext
  • chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext
  • touch /System/Library/Extensions

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hi i just finished installing snow leopard and all works well in 32 bit audio and all, if a boot with 64bit as soon as the desktop loads it crashs with the square window saying you need to shutdown your computer i followed your instructions to the letter and is very good just this little glitch.

My specs are: maximus formula

Q6600

6gb 800mhz ddr2

nvidia geforce 9800gtx+

and the usual stuff from the maximus formula

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

First of all, thank you to nonne9 for posting the guide. I have had success with the following hardware to a point:

I have a working 10.6.0 but I'm having trouble getting to 10.6.2. If you want, you can skip the steps below to the spot where I drew a line--------for how I got a working 10.6.2 on this hardware but I'm including it for sake of completeness.

Maximus Formula

8GB Ram

XFX ATI Radeon 4890 (dual 1600x1200 displays hooked up)

-Using this guide and an external USB drive I followed the instructions, using a real Mac Pro to do the SL installation. -Installed PC EFI 10.1 (initially, I upgraded it later) from Mac Pro.

-When I got to the PC EFI section I had to skip it because there my ATI 4890 (nor any other ATI cards) are represented in the app.

-Continued with the guide steps and then moved the USB drive to my Maximus Formula rig to boot from it.

-realized I needed to rebuild DSDT.aml on that machine, so I booted it from an old Kalyway 10.5.2 drive I had handy, and used DSDT patcher to generate a new one.

-Then I booted, following the guide with -x32 -v and ran Disk Utility. It fixed stuff. Tried booting again without -x32 -v and it still KP'ed when doing 64 bit mode.

-For now, I just booted back into 32 bit using -x32 (without the -v) and I skipped the optional UUID repair for now.

This yielded a working install but both monitors stuck mirrored on 1024x768.

To get my 4890 working I installed the 3 files from here (and ran the terminal commands):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182905

This worked. Everything is working. QE/CI all good and snappy!

-----------------------

My next challenge was to get everything to 10.6.2 and keep it all working. This has proven elusive so far. Below I will detail what I have tried unsuccessfully.

----------------------

-Used Superduper to clone the working 10.6 USB external to a fresh GUID internal SATA drive.

-To get it to boot I installed Chameleon RC4 V3.zip from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1356572

This worked but I was back to 1024x768 mirrored on both displays.

-Tried replacing the 3 ATI kexts mentioned and linked above and repeated the terminal sudo commands but when in place they seem to trigger KP on boot.

(I am able to boot back onto the external USB 10.6 and still tinker with my external drive each time I get KP issues)

-So, I downloaded QE_CI_Exotic patch from netkas.org and tried installing that.

-Hanging on apple boot screen with disco graphic glitches

I've tried a few things with LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and also upgraded to PC EFI 10.5 but still haven't found the right recipe to make this work. Glitches and disco crashes on boot.

Seems to me that some of the guides to get to 10.6.2 can't really be mixed with this install method so I'm trying to figure out the best way forward. Since this thread is dedicated to the Maximus Formula I'm hoping you all would have the answers to this. Hopefully some of you are still monitoring this thread!

So, I have two issues:

Getting to a fully functional 10.6.2 and

Getting XFX ATI 4890 working under it.

TIA.

Hey all,

First of all, thank you to nonne9 for posting the guide. I have had success with the following hardware to a point:

I have a working 10.6.0 but I'm having trouble getting to 10.6.2. If you want, you can skip the steps below to the spot where I drew a line--------for how I got a working 10.6.2 on this hardware but I'm including it for sake of completeness.

Maximus Formula

8GB Ram

XFX ATI Radeon 4890 (dual 1600x1200 displays hooked up)

-Using this guide and an external USB drive I followed the instructions, using a real Mac Pro to do the SL installation. -Installed PC EFI 10.1 (initially, I upgraded it later) from Mac Pro.

-When I got to the PC EFI section I had to skip it because there my ATI 4890 (nor any other ATI cards) are represented in the app.

-Continued with the guide steps and then moved the USB drive to my Maximus Formula rig to boot from it.

-realized I needed to rebuild DSDT.aml on that machine, so I booted it from an old Kalyway 10.5.2 drive I had handy, and used DSDT patcher to generate a new one.

-Then I booted, following the guide with -x32 -v and ran Disk Utility. It fixed stuff. Tried booting again without -x32 -v and it still KP'ed when doing 64 bit mode.

-For now, I just booted back into 32 bit using -x32 (without the -v) and I skipped the optional UUID repair for now.

This yielded a working install but both monitors stuck mirrored on 1024x768.

To get my 4890 working I installed the 3 files from here (and ran the terminal commands):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182905

This worked. Everything is working. QE/CI all good and snappy!

-----------------------

My next challenge was to get everything to 10.6.2 and keep it all working. This has proven elusive so far. Below I will detail what I have tried unsuccessfully.

----------------------

-Used Superduper to clone the working 10.6 USB external to a fresh GUID internal SATA drive.

-To get it to boot I installed Chameleon RC4 V3.zip from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1356572

This worked but I was back to 1024x768 mirrored on both displays.

-Tried replacing the 3 ATI kexts mentioned and linked above and repeated the terminal sudo commands but when in place they seem to trigger KP on boot.

(I am able to boot back onto the external USB 10.6 and still tinker with my external drive each time I get KP issues)

-So, I downloaded QE_CI_Exotic patch from netkas.org and tried installing that.

-Hanging on apple boot screen with disco graphic glitches

I've tried a few things with LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and also upgraded to PC EFI 10.5 but still haven't found the right recipe to make this work. Glitches and disco crashes on boot.

Seems to me that some of the guides to get to 10.6.2 can't really be mixed with this install method so I'm trying to figure out the best way forward. Since this thread is dedicated to the Maximus Formula I'm hoping you all would have the answers to this. Hopefully some of you are still monitoring this thread!

So, I have two issues:

Getting to a fully functional 10.6.2 and

Getting XFX ATI 4890 working under it.

TIA.

Sorry dude i have no idea about the ATi stuff but the 10.6.2 update was straight forward enough from the info from this guide. Although i did have problem with 64bit after 10.6.2 (32 bit has been flawless though)