[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

currently I am using iatkos v7 package called Aty_HD I think is what it's called. But it came with iatkosv 7

So you're using separate kext injectors.

I really recommend using an EFI string in your com.apple.Boot.plist. You can see if OSx86 Tools has your EFI string in its drop down menu under the "Insert EFI String" section (but just copy it from there, don't use the program to insert it). There should be a section in my guide about how/where to paste the EFI strings.

So you're using separate kext injectors.

I really recommend using an EFI string in your com.apple.Boot.plist. You can see if OSx86 Tools has your EFI string in its drop down menu under the "Insert EFI String" section (but just copy it from there, don't use the program to insert it). There should be a section in my guide about how/where to paste the EFI strings.

but is that the issue that won't let me use snow leopard?

but is that the issue that won't let me use snow leopard?

What do you mean "it won't let you use snow leopard"?

Snow should boot fine if you can boot 10.5.8, just use the same kexts for booting (except swap out the Leo only ones for SL ones (ex. use fakesmc.kext instead of dsmos or another disabler).

Well I did mine while it was overclocked. If you know otherwise please let me know. Also it seems mine might be missing some info, but is working quite nicely and my temps are as they should be. Check out dsdt thread and h

get one from first post, you'll see what I mean. Or check out the speedstep thread!

Yep, been reading those religiously to get an education on this whole thing.

Anyway, here's the link to what I read about doing it with a "virgin" cpu (which is on the speedstep thread):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1352277

It appears that it corrects voltage variations, but it also appears that many people haven't done that (the default cpu speed) and so it may not matter that much. The whole concept of voltage readings and how they impact the cpu is way above my head (although my guess is it has something to do with efficiency of the cpu).

What do you mean "it won't let you use snow leopard"?

Snow should boot fine if you can boot 10.5.8, just use the same kexts for booting (except swap out the Leo only ones for SL ones (ex. use fakesmc.kext instead of dsmos or another disabler).

my snow leopard gives that panic I posted earlier I patched the dsdt using dsdt patcher and it still gives me the panic. I need help!

Yep, been reading those religiously to get an education on this whole thing.

Anyway, here's the link to what I read about doing it with a "virgin" cpu (which is on the speedstep thread):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1352277

It appears that it corrects voltage variations, but it also appears that many people haven't done that (the default cpu speed) and so it may not matter that much. The whole concept of voltage readings and how they impact the cpu is way above my head (although my guess is it has something to do with efficiency of the cpu).

Dude my desktop has been down the last couple days. I had a hard drive fail with my most important data, a 1000GB hard drive...

Thanks for the link. I haven't really read through much of that thread yet.... Though my machine is running very well and I think my dsdt is pretty good. It's fun to tinker around... I'll be in touch.

my snow leopard gives that panic I posted earlier I patched the dsdt using dsdt patcher and it still gives me the panic. I need help!

I would suggest using the fairly generic DSDT included in d00m42's pack until you get more things sorted out!

Please explain what you have done on a little more detail and maybe we can help.

A bit of a question here...

*Remember, if you do NOT use any IDE devices, then delete JMicronATA.kext, it is not needed. If you DO on the other hand, then keep it as you will face various issues/KPs without it. Also remember this:

QUOTE (richtig @ Aug 28 2009, 11:51 PM)

A JMicron controller driver may also be needed, if intending to use the 2 purple SATA ports. The IDE port & the 2 purple SATA ports both run off the same JMicron chip. Commonly used for providing eSATA functionality.

I have connected my SATA DVD drive into one of the Purple ports and everything seems fine, CD/DVD's are detected, I erased a rewritable fine. Would I expect otherwise ??

A bit of a question here...

I have connected my SATA DVD drive into one of the Purple ports and everything seems fine, CD/DVD's are detected, I erased a rewritable fine. Would I expect otherwise ??

Are you using JMicronATA.kext? If so, that's why the purple ports work fine. Otherwise, they might work anyway depending on your BIOS IDE settings.

I would suggest using the fairly generic DSDT included in d00m42's pack until you get more things sorted out!

Please explain what you have done on a little more detail and maybe we can help.

I need help with DSDT i followed instructions and did the dsdt patcher with 0=darwin and etc., did that then got a dsdt and replaced the one with SL with the one i made and rebooted but it didn't work.

thats how far i got if anyone could give me a better guide if i did something wrong because i know absolutely nothing on dsdt's!

I need help with DSDT i followed instructions and did the dsdt patcher with 0=darwin and etc., did that then got a dsdt and replaced the one with SL with the one i made and rebooted but it didn't work.

thats how far i got if anyone could give me a better guide if i did something wrong because i know absolutely nothing on dsdt's!

Did you try guide for your motherboard ? --> click

Are you using JMicronATA.kext? If so, that's why the purple ports work fine. Otherwise, they might work anyway depending on your BIOS IDE settings.

Actually @swavek pretty much answered my question in the DSDT thread

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext is just a dummy kext with info.plist - adds info in System profiler instead of unknown controller you'll get jmicron controller, if you dont use PATA drives only SATA(purple sockets) and with AHCI set for Jmicron controller then you dont even need jmicron.kext

No IDE for me. I removed it from dsdt a while ago :D + I never wanted to run the jmicron.kext and never have :)

Thanks

anybody know what is new/fixed? This doesn't seem to be on Gigabyte's site yet.

new QUICK BOOT option (bypasses memory test, boot-about 2sec faster ? 1,5 maybe:D) works fine here,

thanks for info richtig

anybody know what is new/fixed? This doesn't seem to be on Gigabyte's site yet.

This P45-UD3R F12 bios seems to be defective, at least on my Windows system.

System would BSOD when booting XP-32 bit (on Intel Raid 0), while Windows 7 64-bit (on a single drive) booted fine.

Even a fresh install of XP 32-bit BSOD'd during installation.

Have now re-flashed back to F11, and all is working again.

Anyone having mouse problems? In Show Leo my mouse will sometimes jerk a little bit.

If the fraking search worked I could search this thread.

Jerking? do you mean if you lift the mouse a little the pointer will shoot to somewhere else on the screen ?

Jerking? do you mean if you lift the mouse a little the pointer will shoot to somewhere else on the screen ?

I had that problem too, and fixed it by deleting AppleTYMCED.kext or something like that.

I had that problem too, and fixed it by deleting AppleTYMCED.kext or something like that.

Hmm now what makes you think it's that kext ?

I modded my BT Dong into my case and I thought maybe I was getting some interference. Sometimes the only way to get rid of that jumping of the pointer I would have to shutdown my machine, but I mean shutting it right now, turn the power switch off the PSU. I have since moved the location of the dongle and have not had any issues ...

Could you elaborate on that kext or where did you find this info ?

I really want some solid info and with all the tests I have done I am not quite convinced...

PS. Just noticed your in Florida. Hows the weather ?

Hmm now what makes you think it's that kext ?

I modded my BT Dong into my case and I thought maybe I was getting some interference. Sometimes the only way to get rid of that jumping of the pointer I would have to shutdown my machine, but I mean shutting it right now, turn the power switch off the PSU. I have since moved the location of the dongle and have not had any issues ...

Could you elaborate on that kext or where did you find this info ?

I really want some solid info and with all the tests I have done I am not quite convinced...

PS. Just noticed your in Florida. Hows the weather ?

I did a lot of Googling in regards to jerky/skipping mouse movements and Leo/SL. I made a mistake though (my bad), it's AppleUserUpstreamClient.kext that's the issue. You can find quite a bit floating around about "mouse lag" or "mouse skipping" in Leo/SL. It happens mostly on nVidia graphics 8 series and above.

remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext ... but copy it first in the safe place for back up ... if you still have mouse lagging after remove the file, you can restore it ....

^^^ http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/mouse-lag-choppiness-t2170/

Yeah I'm in Florida. It's actually mid to high 70s and breezy : ) I'm more of a Northeast guy myself, so while I love this weather I miss the snow a little bit. (I moved here a little while ago from NY). Unfortunately I can't be outside enjoying it as I have a pretty bad cold : (

If your talking to me? No I have not, but I am not the one with the issue.... I am not 100% convinced this will help me out right now. I will give it a shot though soon.

:wacko:

Let's see what happens to the other user ;)

HELP

I am a little stuck here..... machine was working fine, but I was testing what I think may have or is a problem with sleep. Anyhow I booted into the bios and since then my machine won't boot KP everytime. Even my USB booter KP's and what's weird is the kernel panic is unknown.... what gives ?

I can't boot with at all..... what the heck ?

OK scratch that! I just fully reset the bios. "load optimized defaults" and set the default up and I booted fine. Honestly I don't know what was different and what would not let me boot KP everytime.....

phew I was scared! never had such issues