KPs are driving me nuts!

h4ck1nt05h

15 posts in this topic

I keep getting random kernel panics in both 32 and 64 bit kernels. The panics always refer to CPU1 and the thread always says <unknown>. I've created new mkexts in both 32-bit and 64-bit, the system runs great for about 5 minutes and KP again.

I've also noticed that in my system.log I see lots of entries like this:

/usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "????????".

I will run this command to create new mkext:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Which will sometimes make it boot okay the next time, other times it will not.

Other times when I boot, I don't see the FIXME line in my system.log and the system runs perfectly for hours. I just don't understand why sometimes I get this error and other times I don't.

I'm using a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L. Newest fakesmc, Core 2 Duo, RTC patched DSDT, Chemeleon 2.0-r431, SMBIOS.plist. I have these 64-bit compatible kexts in my /Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Only 3rd Party kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are:

VoodooHDA.kext (64-bit)

I'm stumped. Any ideaas?

I keep getting random kernel panics in both 32 and 64 bit kernels. The panics always refer to CPU1 and the thread always says <unknown>. I've created new mkexts in both 32-bit and 64-bit, the system runs great for about 5 minutes and KP again.

I've also noticed that in my system.log I see lots of entries like this:

/usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "????????".

I will run this command to create new mkext:

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Which will sometimes make it boot okay the next time, other times it will not.

Other times when I boot, I don't see the FIXME line in my system.log and the system runs perfectly for hours. I just don't understand why sometimes I get this error and other times I don't.

I'm using a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L. Newest fakesmc, Core 2 Duo, RTC patched DSDT, Chemeleon 2.0-r431, SMBIOS.plist. I have these 64-bit compatible kexts in my /Extra/Extensions:

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

Only 3rd Party kexts in /System/Library/Extensions are:

VoodooHDA.kext (64-bit)

I'm stumped. Any ideaas?

I have the same set-up...

When u boot don't use -f just -v

for some reason it screws things up in SL.

Everytime you boot to your desktop open disk utility and fix your permissions.

Use kext utility and also drag your extras/extensions folder to Kext utility to make sure your extensions.mkext file is correct.

I did this repeatedly and my system has been stable.

Q for you: can you upload your dsdt...? that cmos bug is annoying me and cant seem to compile a new .aml file.

Also do you get sound distortion after you wake? i seem to have that problem with voodoohda

I will upload my DSDT in a minute, I'm away from my computer right now but I will get the file to you.

I have never used a -f flag when booting, so that shouldn't be a problem. I thought that PC EFI automatically made a new mkext for the /Extra/Extensions, but I'll give that a shot.

Every time I try to repair permissions, I don't have any permissions that are wrong. That shouldn't be the problem either.

Have you ever seen the FIXME in your system.log file?

What audio drivers are you using? Are you using Voodoo or a patched AppleHDA/LegacyHDA?

Thanks!

Here is the DSDT I compiled for Snow Leopard for a GA-EP35-DS3L Core 2 Duo.

Thanx i'll give it a try....

I have seen the "Fix ME" errors in my log in the past but i don't get them any more.

O forgot to mention.. I updated the bios to F6

same KP problem here only with a ds3p, random drops after ±5 mins into finder or less

mostly from mdworker, mds stuff like that.

This is related to SPOTLIGHT. I have this issue too, i'll try to disable it to see what happends.

I have GA-EP35-DS4 rev 2.1 and i followed this guide

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

64bit working with no issues.

had to patch dsdt.aml for sound to work see :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0941&st=380

Use the bootloader they use as this does not give KP's all others i have tried gave me KPs.

Chameleon 1 with modified PC-EFI v9

hope this helps.

@zeddys: I tried using Chameleon 1 with PC-EFI9 from the link you gave me, but I couldn't get it to start up in 64-bit... always came up 32. I tried putting kernel flags to force it, but it always came up 32-bit. Are you using a different version than the one in your link?

This is related to SPOTLIGHT. I have this issue too, i'll try to disable it to see what happends.

I had the exact same problem. I had a KP about every 5 minutes after a restart. I disabled Spotlight and have been running for about 45 minutes now. I hope there is a fix for this other than disabling Spotlight. I really enjoy using it.

I had the exact same problem. I had a KP about every 5 minutes after a restart. I disabled Spotlight and have been running for about 45 minutes now. I hope there is a fix for this other than disabling Spotlight. I really enjoy using it.

Looks like I spoke too soon. All was going well until I decided to open up Disk Utility and clicked on Verify Disk. The moment I clicked the button I got a KP and then they kept coming about every 10 minutes after. For some reason I started getting a KP every time I tried to reinstall Snow. I have since gone back to Leopard. I'll give snow another shot when all the bugs get worked out since I don't have a spare drive to play with Snow until I can get it working as an every day system.

http://pseudogreen.org/blog/disable_spotli...in_leopard.html <-- tutorial to disable spotlight

For anyone who has struggled with KP's and reached the end of their tether, then I suggest having a look at installing 10.6 from USB. I went out last night and bought a cheap 8GB USB memory stick to try this method, and trust me guys, after completing my guide using this method it hasn't KP'd once.. I haven't even had to run any terminal commands or kext utility.