Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

I've noticed something interesting. When resumed from sleep, battery icon shows up in menu bar with a "x" that shows no battery is detected. When first booted into lion, no battery icon shows up and it comes up after resuming from sleep.

Any idea?

no battery kext while was patched for lion.

I tried that, and also king's suggestion about removing _BBN methods. But it didn't have any affect for me. I don't even see why these would work. Does it work for you?

ohh yes.. sometimes adding _UID under _ADR . sometimes replacing.

on another note. OSID .. make sure u use Windows 2001 or 2006 to replace for Darwin so it enables extra power management features within dsdt.

on another note. OSID .. make sure u use Windows 2001 or 2006 to replace for Darwin so it enables extra power management features within dsdt.

I guess by "sometimes" you mean you don't have a working fix for this system?

• 2 weeks later...

yes, it's exactly the truth. In my desktops I did it always. better windows 2006. We have windows 2009 there in dsdt, but looks like it's refering to something for manage video (may be button in keyboard for manage videomodes?). I had added long time ago Darwin checking where windows 2006.

Hi guys,

I'm a happy user of 10.6.7 under my 1340 (thanks to bcc9 and all of you).

In this days the release of Lion intrigued me...but this thread has become large (and info are fragmented)...

Thus what is the situation of Lion under our xps? (what is not working?)

If appropriate could we create a separate thread for lion?

Tell me what you think, I am ready to contribute

PS: excuse my english, i'm italian :unsure:

I've installed Lion on another partition on the same disk where is Snow Leopard, by these steps:

- I've made the installer usb disk from .dmg (and installed chameleon rc5 on it)

- I've stetted the npci=0x2000 at boot time (without the boot stuck at "PCI configuration begin")

- At first boot OSX appear with low resolution (1024x768) because the graphic card were not loaded correctly

- Then i added the DSDT.aml (for A14 on first page) on /Extra

When i boot the system, it stucks at "PCI configuration begin" (with ncpi=0x2000 stetted!)

There is a solution for this?

PS: can i have problem/conflicts installing Lion on the same disk of Snow Leopard?

Hi guys,

I'm a happy user of 10.6.7 under my 1340 (thanks to bcc9 and all of you).

In this days the release of Lion intrigued me...but this thread has become large (and info are fragmented)...

Thus what is the situation of Lion under our xps? (what is not working?)

If appropriate could we create a separate thread for lion?

Tell me what you think, I am ready to contribute

PS: excuse my english, i'm italian :(

A new guide is probably in order, but I'm a bit busy with other things at the moment; anyone else want to take a shot?

As for the thread being large, yes, that's a problem, and makes me not want to write a new guide (it gets cluttered with newbie posts and without the ability to moderate/delete posts, it remains that way). I've suggested a separate newbie thread, but that still wouldn't stop newbie posts from turning up here...

yes, it's exactly the truth. In my desktops I did it always. better windows 2006. We have windows 2009 there in dsdt, but looks like it's refering to something for manage video (may be button in keyboard for manage videomodes?). I had added long time ago Darwin checking where windows 2006.
So what power or performance differences have you noticed from setting windows 2006 in the dsdt? It seemed to me that for this laptop, the differences are minor and would only matter to windows device drivers.

When i boot the system, it stucks at "PCI configuration begin" (with ncpi=0x2000 stetted!)

There is a solution for this?

Sounds like you don't have the kexts from post #1 loading, especially fakesmc
PS: can i have problem/conflicts installing Lion on the same disk of Snow Leopard?
Assuming you mean different partitions, it's workable. Depending upon your config, chameleon sometimes picks up state from the partition that contains /boot instead of the target partition you are booting. It's damn confusing and a bug IMO, but it seems to be by design.

I've followed these same steps, and i get passed to the install screen. I think you might have to install your fakesmc through terminal?

The only problem i encounter is when the installer loads up i get the message "Mac OS X can't be installed on this machine" is there a known solution for this at this point? Or is this a known problem with executing the installation wrong?

I'haven't had this problem...in case i found a workaround in this guide (look for OSInstall)

@bcc9:

I tried with fakesmc, with kext installed by [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...nothing, when the boot load the DSDT.aml for A14 it fails stucking at "PCI configuration begin".

The bootloader is Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083...there is a better version to use?

The problem may be related to snow leo on the other partition?

I have no idea...

When you boot lion for the first time after installing, and you boot via chameleon from your thumb drive (or a 10.6 partition), and you don't configure chameleon with UseKernelCache=Yes, then chameleon can pick up your modded kexts from your existing /Extra, and you should be able to boot fine. This is what I recommend doing. At that point you copy over the modded kexts to /S.../L.../E... and then you can boot with UseKernelCache=Yes thereafter.

The "Mac OS X can't be installed on this machine" error (not sure if that wording is right) is documented and means you didn't set SMboardproduct properly in your smbios.plist.

None of this is specific to the xps 1340, and also if you want support for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], please take it elsewhere. You can shoot yourself in the foot with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and without tracking [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] revisions (which I don't use) it's hard to tell what you did wrong.

I know...[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is not the solution,i don't want support to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...i've simply try it hoping to solve...

Hey all, I followed the guide in the first post (really awesome work by the way, thanks a million bcc9!), and got 10.6.0 up and running in no time. Everything was working for about a week. Now I decided to keep OSX on my laptop since it's working so great but I wish to update the OS so i can access the Mac App Store and install iLife (requires 10.6.3).

The problem is the laptop freezes at "PCI configuration begin" (tried the ncpi=0x2000 flag, didn't help) after I install a combo update. I did a full disk backup before updating and tried 10.6.6, 10.6.7, 10.6.6 even 10.6.3 restoring every time. I tried re-patching etc. after an update but before restarting, tried it without re-patching i get the same error every single time. I'm using Chameleon 2 RC5 but tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] from a usb stick as well.

Any ideas why this is happening? How did you guys update? Any help would be really appreciated.

This is my system:

core2duo p8600@2,4Ghz

4Gb Memory

Geforce 9500M GE Hybrid SLI - the OS only recognizes the 9400M G

BIOS version A14

I have updated from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 and got 'PCI configuration begin' message and no boot. If I remove DSDT.aml then I can boot, so I think is problem with DSDT. How can I modify it to remove _ADR from Device (PCI0) section? I tried to modify DSDT.aml with DSDTSE tool but it can't compile dsdt after my modifications.

I have updated from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 and got 'PCI configuration begin' message and no boot. If I remove DSDT.aml then I can boot, so I think is problem with DSDT. How can I modify it to remove _ADR from Device (PCI0) section? I tried to modify DSDT.aml with DSDTSE tool but it can't compile dsdt after my modifications.

first thing that you need to do -> add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist (org.chameleon.boot.plist). then see why it doesnt start.

In Lion i resolved the problem of "PCI configuration begin" freeze simply loading older IOPCIFamily and AppleACPI (working for a Snow Leopard installation). The system boots correctly with A14 dsdt and seems to work correctly.

Can i have problems?

first thing that you need to do -> add npci=0x2000 to com.apple.boot.plist (org.chameleon.boot.plist). then see why it doesnt start.

This was exactly first thing that I did when saw this [ PCI configuration begin ]'.

Also tried to compile bcc9's pathced.dsl without _ADR in Device (PCI0) seciton, also didn't help.

Installed IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.7 and system boot, but it worked very very very slow, especially global menu and 'System Settings' app. Also Ethernet and WIFI don't work. Any Suggestions?

Installed IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.6.7 and system boot, but it worked very very very slow, especially global menu and 'System Settings' app. Also Ethernet and WIFI don't work. Any Suggestions?

I don't know how you install, but here what I have:

chameleon 1221 build, kext: fakesmc, voodoops2, appleps2, dellbluetooth,appleacpibattery, replaced from 10.6.7 patched appleacpiplatform for battery show, in com.apple.boot.plist in kernel flags I have npci=0x2000 flag, patched applehda kext + idt legacy kext. dsdt can be used from first message of this thread. All work fine. I have 9400m model, dont know about 9500m and which problems it may have.

I don't know how you install, but here what I have:

chameleon 1221 build, kext: fakesmc, voodoops2, appleps2, dellbluetooth,appleacpibattery, replaced from 10.6.7 patched appleacpiplatform for battery show, in com.apple.boot.plist in kernel flags I have npci=0x2000 flag, patched applehda kext + idt legacy kext. dsdt can be used from first message of this thread. All work fine. I have 9400m model, dont know about 9500m and which problems it may have.

do you mind sharing a copy of the patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext? I want to get battery working under lion. THanks

Hi Everyone,

Just want to thank all for great info on a thread for the XPS1340!!!! I have a basic install with most bugs worked out. Still think a few things are a bit buggy in my case but with all the different various hardware and software it is a lot more challenging to do than I originally thought it would be. I started 3 days ago and 2 days of that I only had 5 hrs sleep. I just kept at it and with all the info available. One issue I had was the "too new cd-rom bios". I needed to downgrade. Wow it took me forever to figure out that, It was a real issue for me. Anyways I will post any new fixes I can contribute with or adjustments to dial in settings for it all to work as expected. I started with SL and was putting in so much effort, that about a day into it I decided I might as well purchase Lion and make it work, with all this effort. I still have a few things I don't understand about my install on how to perfect it but at least it works and I know what what to kinda try if things are not functioning. Again GREAT JOB to all that ask and contribute here. I am glad to help answer for what worked for me and will be very specific to my hardware only as I cannot answer for the things I don't know on.

So chime in if you have questions or I will post back as I learn new things.

PS. This is my first time using Mac software so I am not up to speed on the best features of the software yet but learning. PC and Linux I have been using for too many years and I think the iPhone is great too as Im on my third one, the iPhone4. My Linux knowledge came in real handy with knowing bash command shell stuff.

Sorry for Rambling and Cheers!!!

Hey guys.. been a long time for me here since I did the 10.6.3 update.

What would be my best approach to get to 10.6.8?? what steps do u guys recommend? any updated guides?

Thanks in advance.