Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

patch tool will not give you result of battery with lion appleacpiflatform kext. First replace it with original from 10.6.7, then run patch.

Thanks!....I am not sure where to find that specific version but I will search now.

Does the battery work in 64 mode also besides 32? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Your a life saver!!! Thanks!

Surprise, surprise....I still have it not working. Could be my version of AppleACPIBatteryManager kext?

I believe I am using the slice version that works on 32/64. I know there are many versions floating around. Another note, when I use the downloaded 10.6.7 ACPIPlatform file, when I patch it I get a md5sum mismatch but the patch succeeded. So I re-downloaded and re patched but same checksum error. Not sure the best way to fix or debug.

Surprise, surprise....I still have it not working. Could be my version of AppleACPIBatteryManager kext?

I believe I am using the slice version that works on 32/64. I know there are many versions floating around. Another note, when I use the downloaded 10.6.7 ACPIPlatform file, when I patch it I get a md5sum mismatch but the patch succeeded. So I re-downloaded and re patched but same checksum error. Not sure the best way to fix or debug.

I think I found my problem....I am now trying Xavier version of AppleACPIBattery.

you may go with voodoobattery, doesnt matter.

Good to know, Thanks. My problem is the patch will not run on the 10.6.8 ACPIPlatform kext for me. I get the checksum error but it fails completely with no reboot option. I can run it on the 10.7 version of kext fine. Not sure the order of steps to get it to all work. This is what I am trying:

1. make sure no .patched file exists in /s/l/e before running the patch.

2. make sure I do have a battery file in /s/l/e before running the patch. ( tried not having one also).

3. make sure that I have an unpatched version of the 10.6.8 only by removing or moving the ACPIPlatform.kext directory that is there and then copy in the unpatched version updating permissions and owners.

4. Run the patch. (fails with or without a reboot before running).

5. Reboot and try something else or try again the steps above again switching it up a bit.

I notice on Boot if I have Battery kext and Platform file I get boot messages about failing to create a link for Battery.

Also the patch asks if I want to install for all users when it did not the first few times or if using the 10.7 Platform kext.

Any Suggestions?

EDIT: I mean 10.6.7 ACPIPlatform kext not 10.6.8 sorry

EDIT2: I Also DO NOT have OpenHaltRestart kext in the /s/l/e folder when running the above steps.

probably you didn't repair permissions well.

Could be i was using : sudo chmod -R 755 NAME_OF_KEXT.kext

Now I am using: sudo chmod -R 755 * (from in the /s/l/e folder.)

and I was using: sudo chown -R root:wheel NAME_OF_KEXT.kext

Now using: sudo chown -R root:wheel *

I am still working with why it doesn't patch. I am going to re-download the patch script maybe I broke it somehow.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi All,

I think I need some Basic info of order to get everything working on my XPS1340. I will ask some questions as I have mainly sound and battery not working. Below is what I have done from reading the various forum's and also know what doesn't work for me. I might need to Start from Basic Install again and re run the patches and fixes in the right order.

I plan to write a new guide based on lion update for the studio xps1340 as it will help anyone else Starting from the lion release.

I started with Booting iAtkos S3v2 (have to start somewhere) which is SL release and that gave me terminal and Disk Util.

With those commands I was able to prep hard drive and extract lion update to usb following a mkboot script I found that wouldn't run on my system without the OS installed. I viewed the script and followed the steps in it to replace packages and using what I thought were correct packages to make the install from usb give working hardware from the install. That might be where something was not loaded right and makes sound and the Battery meter not working for me. Even with trying to patch the files I have problems. I do need dual boot but broke my boot mbr being a big noobie. I know I can fix it with dd and fdisk, I just haven't done it. I understand now that there is a very specific order to run the patches for everything to work. I was trying to fix battery and then fix sound but that seems backwards to what I read now. Any input would be great. Also is there other laptop model that is very close hardware that might use same patches like the studio z14 or M1330? I would like to list in the guide all the patches or drivers needed to make everything work. If some hardware is still not working let me know also.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Update...

I am back to a clean install of SL. Says 10.6.3. I ended up using iatkos s3v2 and doing a clean install with what I know works. I didnt want to end up like the guy in the picture I uploaded...haha. I plan to update and re-download lion and install it. In this install my wireless works for sure, graphics seem a lower resolution. Audio and Power features don't work for sure. DVD is detected fine. Keyboard and trackpad work also with no changes. Usb is fine from what I can tell it detects my drives I use. My first step is backup(running now). Second is asking this forum to see if I should fix anything before updating 10.6.8? Or will I just have to fix it again? Or will it help for patches later by fixing now? Please Chime in with advice.

post-843031-1312432983.gif

does the 10.7 + sleepmode/hibernate kill the cmos? (reset)? anybody?

if no, please say which boot you use thanks.

P.S. using latest trunk chameleon 13xx version (forgot). this is fix for cmos reset after sleep for lion.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

EDIT:

ok, sleep mode works good, but I am not able to start from sleepimage after hibernation.

Looks like chameleon doesn't want to find it at all.

I tried ForceWake=yes and WakeImage parametres, no result. Anybody, please, check this thing out and write the result here.

Hi All,

I have tried to update to 10.7 lion from 10.6.8 on usb drive procedure on this site. I seem to be stuck at getting rid of my waiting for root device error. The UUID it works is USB drive. It looks for UUID but my Drive is dual boot with Windows so I know it is MBR. When I patched my usb install image I replaced OSinstall package to install to mbr drive. I tried rd=disk0s4 and other simular rd commands and none seem to even work. I am using chameleon RC5 r1191. I did reinstall r1191 manually at command line but no change. Could it be my old unpatched DSDT file. How to patch in terminal or windows? Any help, please? Thanks!!!

Hi All,

I have tried to update to 10.7 lion from 10.6.8 on usb drive procedure on this site. I seem to be stuck at getting rid of my waiting for root device error. The UUID it works is USB drive. It looks for UUID but my Drive is dual boot with Windows so I know it is MBR. When I patched my usb install image I replaced OSinstall package to install to mbr drive. I tried rd=disk0s4 and other simular rd commands and none seem to even work. I am using chameleon RC5 r1191. I did reinstall r1191 manually at command line but no change. Could it be my old unpatched DSDT file. How to patch in terminal or windows? Any help, please? Thanks!!

probably need to change sata mode to AHCI in bios.

probably need to change sata mode to AHCI in bios.

I did double check that and I have been running AHCI all along. Any boot switches to try or what files to double check that I did the OSinstall package right? I patch the mpkg and OSinstall under some path that had Frameworks in the name. I did try USBBusFix=Yes no different. I think by default it is looking for usb UUID when booting from HD. as the Install will boot from USB just fine still. Thanks for quick reply and more help.

EDIT: I see some cpu driver issues when booting from HD vs. USB. I think not all kext were installed from USB during install, strange?!? trying to figure which kext is not current.

EDIT2: I manually copy all s l e kexts into HD and cpu driver fixed but still waiting for root drive error. I am going to image my USB to my HD and rerun update on HD and try that.

EDIT3: Restore image from USB to HD Fail due to UUID vs. MBR I guess? So how does one use Lion and Windows on Same drive? Is it Possible? I had fully working SL (now just a backup Image) but I am trying to get working with lion.

Hi all, I can only boot 10.7 retail with no DSDT. Any ideas?? (System Stops at PCI Configuration) with or without the ncpic=0x2000 flag.

Thanks in advance.

Hi with my experiances the last two weeks I have had alot of trouble upgrading to 10.7 from 10.6.X. I have everything working for 10.6.3 and can share how I did my install if needed. I mostly followed the pages here. I would like to know a path to 10.7 from 10.6.3. So hopefully there are ways to get to lion and get the hardware detected on xps1340.

EDIT: Update I have everything running for 10.6.7 and running a TM backup to have a snapshot of what I currently have as I have been down this road before and after updating to 10.7 everything broken and not booting. What are the best steps to upgrade to 10.7. Below is what i might try:

prepatch 10.7 upgrade files: Question which are for sure broken on XPS1340?

Run the upgrade. reboot from a disk and install bootloader and run dsdt patcher. Question which is the best version to use I am planning on trying r1191. Would newer better or not?

Then try to boot from HD.

Hi all, I can only boot 10.7 retail with no DSDT. Any ideas?? (System Stops at PCI Configuration) with or without the ncpic=0x2000 flag.

Thanks in advance.

FYI = try also npci=0x3000 and the correct flag above is mistyped it should be npci not ncpci.

npci=0x2000 works for me when I was getting the PCI Configuration hang. I haven't used that flag lately must have added it to my ***.*****.Boot.plist file or just don't need it anymore.