Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

Ok, thanks for the info, I've tried to configure windows to use AHCI editing registry as microsoft web page says but my win7 don't boot.

I will google that problem, but if someone has advice it would be apreciated.

If you installed windows with the disks in IDE mode for some reason, then you have to do a few tricks to switch the windows drivers over to AHCI ones, as windows cannot deal with changing the disk controller's mode on the fly without those extra manual steps on your part.

There are complete guides for that, which have been around for years now, so they should be well ironed out at this point.

hello, guys. I bought 2nd hdd caddy for dell 1340, so my DVD-RW drive has no use at all now. (I have Toshiba-Samsung TS-T633A).

If anybody needs it, I'll sell it (not expensive), will send to other country too. Please contact in PM if you're interesting in.

I'll test Mac OS X Lion at next week I think, will post some results.

Hi there,

If i'm updating my system from 10.6.4 to the combined system update which will take it to 10.6.7 is there anything I should be doing apart from running the patchhda file and the AppleACPIPlatform.mcp79.v1.5.pkg.zip?

Or is it just run the update and then run those two files and i'm good to go?

Cheers for any info!

Yea thats pretty much it.

-------------------------------------------

I have a bit of a problem myself

I have made a bit of a mistake with my installation, after getting everything working with SL (10.6.7) I decided to reinstall W7... mistake....

Well now it seems that the MBR is messed-up. Initially it was only booting to windows (to expect), I booted back onto SL using boot132 and reinstalled chameleon v2 rc4 (pkg); there was my mistake. I seemed that the partitions became inactive and I just had a black screen with a blinker.

I booted again from boot132 and selected windows, all good. I read online about easyBCD and downloaded, I modified the bootstrings to include SL (MBR) and W7.

Once i restart, I get a black screen with the 2 options (SL & W7). If I select SL, I boot onto chameleon where again I select whether i want SL, System Reserved, or W7. If SL is selected under chamaleon all good, and if i choose "system reserved" (w7 boot) i go back to the previous black screen with SL & W7, where I have to reselect W7 to successfully enter windows.

In other words i managed to get myself into 2 boot loaders.... Although I can live with it, is there any way to restore it to just being chameleon?

Thanks a bunch

If you have the active flag set on the HFS partition, you should be able to boot into chameleon directly, and then windows 7 from there. Sounds like perhaps your /boot/bcd is in an EFI boot partition instead of C:, and maybe you're having a problem with that.

If you're using an acpi-based activation bypass for windows7, then I think the problem is that both grub4dos and chameleon expect the active flag to be set on their respective partitions, and I don't know how to make both window7&osx happy at the same time in this case without using something more such as grub.

If you had it working before, why don't you just put things back that way ? :D

The hibernatemode 1 is giving me a Wake Kernel! prompt.

Also, after sleep and wake up the first time, turning off the display is rendering it unusable till restart. Anybody else with the same issues?

Sounds like you're not using one of the recommended boot loaders, and so resume from hibernate is not working. Or are you just wondering why you see a wake message before the system resumes?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a version of AppleACPIPlatform for osx 10.7 11A444 (current lion version), patched to fix the GPE blocks (ie same functionality as myAppleACPIPlatform.mcp79 package) .

The patch is a bit different than for 10.6.x, so consider this an alpha version.

Also I've only bothered to patch the 64bit code, since that's the default now.

I've tested suspend/resume via lid and they are working with this patch.

Update: see newer script version here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1689081

I followed this guide and it works almost everything, besides I have a unsupported DW1520 wifi module, am I missing something ?

Also some funny behavior on the optical drive.

1. If I started the machine with a disc in the drive, I will be able to eject and put in another disc to use. but after I ejected the disc, I can no longer put in another disc, the drive will not take it.

2. If I start the machine without any disc, it will not work at all.

3. The eject button doesn't work..

Anyone can give me a hint?

I followed this guide and it works almost everything, besides I have a unsupported DW1520 wifi module, am I missing something ?

Also some funny behavior on the optical drive.

1. If I started the machine with a disc in the drive, I will be able to eject and put in another disc to use. but after I ejected the disc, I can no longer put in another disc, the drive will not take it.

2. If I start the machine without any disc, it will not work at all.

3. The eject button doesn't work..

Anyone can give me a hint?

Its stated before, you need to downgrade your dvd drive firmware, should be in OP

• 2 weeks later...
I'm giving up and selling my 1340, and putting the money toward a MacBook Pro. Thanks for all your work bcc9! I had high hopes for this computer, but it never lived up to my expectations.

Good luck, it's certainly not for everyone. But it is the only ultraportable I know that has usable high speed interfaces and can run all 3 desktop OSes natively (OSX, linux & windows).

It's been several years and apple has yet to catch up (might if&when one can get thunderbolt disk drive enclosures).

Hey bcc9, been a long time!
Yes... It seems interest in this laptop is winding down since it hasn't been sold for a long time now.
I got one question for you, overall, Lion, whats the status? About the same as SL? Same issues, etc?
Lion seems to require all the same tweaks as in snow leopard. A few new outstanding problems:

The CMOS reset issue http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253992

Voodoobattery not working (not surprising as it's been abandon-ware for quite some time now).

Yes... It seems interest in this laptop is winding down since it hasn't been sold for a long time now.

Lion seems to require all the same tweaks as in snow leopard. A few new outstanding problems:

The CMOS reset issue http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253992

Voodoobattery not working (not surprising as it's been abandon-ware for quite some time now).

I am about to try DP2 too. Do I need an updated DSDT.aml for 10.7?

The AppleACPIPlatform patch for lion developer preview 4 is the same as before. Here is a new auto-patch script that handles it (updated checksums).

bcc9, it says 0% battery in settings and icon actually doesn't work.

In extensions in system profile I see that voodoobattery.kext was loaded. How can it be fixed?

Any worked battery icon next available?

In extensions in system profile I see that voodoobattery.kext was loaded. How can it be fixed?

Any worked battery icon next available?

Yes, Voodoobattery is not working (not surprising as it's been abandon-ware for quite some time now).

The source code is out there so someone could dig a bit deeper to try and figure out what's broken.

It could be difficult as the Voodoobattery code is not properly documented.

There are a couple threads at projectosx on this.

one friend gave my package for battery for lion, but I'm not sure it works or not, please test anybody.

found that there kexts from 10.6.7

? are you trying to say you found something that works or not?

Let us know if you do.

That zip file includes an entire copy of IOPCIFamily.kext, which is not very promising...

Pointer to the source (if you've found something that works)?