Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

I read the source code to the new IOPCIFamily, focusing on the console relocation section since that was where Olegpronin said he was able to patch it to work.

Two systems are handy for gdbing kexts, but in this case I didn't have to go that far. With pci=0x1, you can see some extra logging, such as the correct console address. Then it was clear that it was simply the fConsoleRange value that was leading things astray. Luckily all the questionable logic that is setting fConsoleRange is predicated on kIOPCIConfiguratorPFM64, and that flag seems to be used for nothing else.

Ok. Simple when you know how. ;-) I'm glad you bought one of these laptops

Thank you for the fix. However, just to let you know that it affects the graphic card i.e system wide lag, no right click, dock animation acts weirds.
If you're having problems with those things, I don't think it has anything to do with this change. I don't have those problems.

Ok. Simple when you know how. ;-) I'm glad you bought one of these laptops

Well not actually simple; some of the apple code is clear as mud even with source code, as it lacks documentation & comments. The fConsoleRange code is an example of this. Yes, thanks, I think this is one of the best "supported" laptops.

This flag doesn't work on my pc.
What release? It doesn't work under OSX lion; I haven't yet had a chance to see why.

Works for me in both 32&64 bit modes with 10.6.8.

Your knowledge helps people, including me, around here a lot. I added npci=0x2000 and it worked after update 945GCM-S2L + GT240 to 10.6.8.

Thanks, it's nice to be able to look into a kext that actually has source code for a change (applehda is a pain in the rear).

very interesting. what about patched kext? are you able to give me debug info in kernel.log from [pci configuration begin] until [pci configuration end]?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about patched next.

anyway, here is my kernel.log

[ PCI configuration begin ]
PCI configuration changed (bridge=4, device=2, cardbus=0)
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 6 devices 21 ]

If you're having problems with those things, I don't think it has anything to do with this change. I don't have those problems.

Since I came across MacKonsti having the problems with npci=0x2000 as well, I thought it might be a common problem. I'll try to take a look at your DSDT file. May be it might help.

Thanks,

Since I came across MacKonsti having the problems with npci=0x2000 as well, I thought it might be a common problem. I'll try to take a look at your DSDT file. May be it might help.

Thanks,

With a 1 off report with no debugging there was nothing to go on, but it sounds like there is an issue for some users. Still not clear if A/B comparisons have been done. In other words, are you sure that these other issues don't occur independent of the npci setting?

Perhaps everything is fine unless one has 2 integrated graphics devices (such as the 9400M + 9200M=9500M combo?)

I have the 9400M only model of the 1340.

Wait, you guys who are having problems aren't even using dell xps 1340s are you? Your pci memory layout is likely quite different.

With a 1 off report with no debugging there was nothing to go on, but it sounds like there is an issue for some users. Still not clear if A/B comparisons have been done. In other words, are you sure that these other issues don't occur independent of the npci setting?

Perhaps everything is fine unless one has 2 integrated graphics devices (such as the 9400M + 9200M=9500M combo?)

I have the 9400M only model of the 1340.

Wait, you guys who are having problems aren't even using dell xps 1340s are you? Your pci memory layout is likely quite different.

So I've got 10.6.8 up and running and ready to install lion GM over 10.6.8 installation. Is there anything problematic regarding lion on xps1340? Anything specific with regards to kexts in /Extra and Chameleon bootloader? Thanks for your reply.

Ah.. It doesn't work on OSX lion?

That's right.That's right.

Update: Actually my npci=0x2000 fix is working just fine for me under Lion GM, just not Lion Developer Preview 4 (under DP4 the system hangs with npci=0x2000). Strange. Anyone with different results?

I tried your fix in DP4 - worked well.

bcc9, btw, did you find something about patching AppleACPIPlatform kext for battery? I still don't know what we'll do with it, sitting on 10.6.7

I don't understand the question. Voodoobattery seems to still work OK in 10.6.8, and the fact that voodoobattery is busted under 10.7 is because it has not been maintained, and nobody has written a working replacement. The GPE bug in AppleACPIPlatform I've fixed for all releases so far, including 10.6.8 and the 10.7 developer previews. I don't know of any other problem with AppleACPIPlatform.

bcc9, thanks.

You fixed the GPE handler, but shouldn't your fix work at all with any currently known Battery kexts?

No voodoobattery is busted under 10.7.

So I've got 10.6.8 up and running and ready to install lion GM over 10.6.8 installation. Is there anything problematic regarding lion on xps1340? Anything specific with regards to kexts in /Extra and Chameleon bootloader? Thanks for your reply.
As before:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1691261

For chameleon, you need an updated version of rc5 to get the 10.7 support. Also I more recently fixed the DMI memory parsing in chameleon so you can clean up your smbios.plist if you run a version that is newer than those changes. I'm on r1006 at this point, which includes those changes.

You could ask the chameleon folks what version they deem "stable" and let us know.

"QUOTE (SinrG202 @ Jul 1 2011, 01:35 PM)

Ok. Simple when you know how."

Well not actually simple; some of the apple code is clear as mud even with source code, as it lacks documentation & comments. The fConsoleRange code is an example of this. Yes, thanks, I think this is one of the best "supported" laptops.

I should've added the sarcasm tags.

I tried your fix in DP4 - worked well.
Weird, as one last DP4 troubleshooting step I went back and put IOPCIFamily from DP4 onto my 10.7 GM install and it hangs after "PCI configuration begin" if I use npci=0x2000.

The GM version works fine however with npci=0x2000. It probably depends upon one's memory allocation. Oh well, throwing out my DP4 install now...

Weird, as one last DP4 troubleshooting step I went back and put IOPCIFamily from DP4 onto my 10.7 GM install and it hangs after "PCI configuration begin" if I use npci=0x2000.

The GM version works fine however with npci=0x2000. It probably depends upon one's memory allocation. Oh well, throwing out my DP4 install now...

Okay, I've tried your acpi patcher pkg 1.7 for lion but it does not seem to enable sleep/wake via lid open/close. Any idea? Everything else works flawlessly except battery. Thanks for your reply.

Okay, I've tried your acpi patcher pkg 1.7 for lion but it does not seem to enable sleep/wake via lid open/close. Any idea? Everything else works flawlessly except battery. Thanks for your reply.

Your AppleACPIPlatform patched successfully? I just tested the package again and it's working fine.

Your AppleACPIPlatform patched successfully? I just tested the package again and it's working fine.

Now it's working fine now. I just restored a copy of the original and re-patch again. btw, I've found AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext from a chinese forum with source. I am wondering if you could look into this and see if you can make it work on lion to get battery status. Thanks

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.x86.zip

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext.x64.zip

AppleACPIBatteryManager.source.zip

Ok, I was able to fix the console logging problem after "PCI Configuration Begin" is displayed simply by adding:

npci=0x2000 to the kernel boot flags. Ie in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386 npci=0x2000</string>

no kext or DSDT hacking required.

-_-

Hi bbc9, can you help please if possible for you, I have inserted the string in CABP, now the disc I set off, but what means this? This problem is or on the 10.6.8 that Lion GM.

Thank's

post-410253-1310138607_thumb.png

;)

Hi bbc9, can you help please if possible for you, I have inserted the string in CABP, now the disc I set off, but what means this? This problem is or on the 10.6.8 that Lion GM.

Thank's

that kernel flag npci=0x2000 only applies to Dell XPS 1340 laptop. If you don't have one, it won't work. simple as that.

that kernel flag npci=0x2000 only applies to Dell XPS 1340 laptop. If you don't have one, it won't work. simple as that.
I developed&tested the npci flag workaround for the dell, but since then it's been found to work for pretty much everyone else, under both 10.6.8 & Lion. So it's now a general fix (pending any more general dsdt fix). You're welcome everybody :)

:)

Thank's

I have no idea. Troubleshoot?

I developed&tested the npci flag workaround for the dell, but since then it's been found to work for pretty much everyone else, under both 10.6.8 & Lion. So it's now a general fix (pending any more general dsdt fix). You're welcome everybody :)

I have no idea. Troubleshoot?

I've noticed something interesting. When resumed from sleep, battery icon shows up in menu bar with a "x" that shows no battery is detected. When first booted into lion, no battery icon shows up and it comes up after resuming from sleep.

Any idea?