[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

I'm still w/ mouse lags and/or cpu stuttering. Tried w/ and wo/ "cpus=1", w/ and wo/ VoodooTSCsync.kext, w/ and wo/ dsdt.aml (compiled w/ and wo/ -newHPET) and almost all combinations of that stuff and it's always the same: slight mouse lags dependent on the cpu load.

So, what about the other .kexts in /Extra/Extensions, any suspicious of causing the mouse lags (maybe Natit.kext which I need for my GMA950)?

Any solution to get PCMCIA and memory card reader work?

Your SL/950 package also works on a HP DV2405TU (aka Pavilion dv2000). You will need the 10.5 kext for the intel PRO ethernet and the VoodooPower.kext for speedstep added to extras, but other than that all good. No sleep, but that's no surprise. I deleted the Natit kext, are you sure it's necessary? My 950 works fine without it.

Spec: Yonah T2130 / 945GM / 950 GPU / Connexant Audio / Broadcom wifi / Intel VE PRO ethernet.

Going to chuck Snow Kitty on my D620 tomorrow...

first off great guide, just installed sl on my d620 and it looks pretty smooth. so far the only things not working are sleep (with and without a system password in bios) and the audio isn't 100%. voodoohda works pretty well when i'm just using the laptop (clean sound, autoswitching for headphones and muting internal speakers), but when i plug into my docking station the audio doesn't get passed through to the audio output on the dock. sys prefs only shows one output device so i can't switch to digital output like i did in 10.5 (using sonotone's patched applehda.kext for sigmatel9200). has anyone had this issue and come up with a solution? i know its kind of picky but i can't be the only one using a docking station. when i get home tonight i'll play with it more and maybe replace voodoohda with sonotone's appleHDA to /extra/extensions and see if that helps.

as for sleep, i'm not convinced its ever getting to a sleep state. my bluetooth light stays on and the power light doesnt start blinking. the screen just goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive

overall pretty solid though. thanks leppy!

Still no luck with the Ghost imaging. I even tried loading the UBCD4WIN CD and using DriveImageXML to get an image of the drive while it was not actively running the OS. I then restored that image to my other hd. The sizes are the same and the new partition was formatted as NTFS. So, for now I will continue to try to solve the Hal.dll issue. But I will have to swap hd's when wanting or needing to use the respective OSes. Not ideal, but it will work for now.

Thanks for all of the help and I will try to do more work on this and provide feedback. Thanks again. If anyone else has anything more to try please let me know.

I am not sure why that isn't working, but there's another way - it's a long way around, but it should work and it's still hopefully shorter than what you've already been through.

The idea here is to restore WINXP to a first partition and get it working, then restore OS X to a second partition and get that working.

• See if you can use disk utility from the install cd/dvd to backup your OS X partition to disk image on another extended journaled mac partition. If that is successful, move that disk image to a safe place.
  • Restore your windows image to the first partition on your hard drive, make that partition active and make sure your windows restore works. From windows disk manager, create a second FAT partition for OS X. You will reformat it later in OS X.
  • You are not reinstalling OS X, but load the OS X install CD and DVD, and in the gui disk utility, select and reformat (erase) the FAT partition you made in Windows. Make sure to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before you erase.
  • Still in disk utility, see if you can restore your OS X disk image to that freshly formatted MAC OS partition.
  • Reboot into Windows and make sure everything is still okay there. Add this to the last line of your boot.ini:
    c:\chain0="Snow Leopard"
  • While still in Windows, copy chain0 from the /PostInstall/CHAMELEON-20-RC3-R658-BIN/i386 folder from the boot cd.

• Using the boot CD, boot into OSX. If everything goes right, you should have a working OS X install too. Now we just have to get a dual boot loader working. Run the post install and install chameleon.
  • Reboot and keep fingers crossed.

I really hope that works for you.

If i installed SL with the Bios setting "COMPATIBILITY MODE", is it possible to change it after installation complete in "AHCI MODE" by changing the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext ??

Thank you :D

You're welcome.

I really don't know the answer to your question, but you can try it. Swap out kexts in /Extra/Extensions and then run /Extra/rebuild_mkext.command.

Worst case, you can boot to the install again - don't install but run terminal from top menu (utilities > terminal) and run delete /Volumes/<your snow leo volume name>/Extra from terminal.

Ex: If your snow leopard volume name is SnoLo, then the command would be:

rm -R "/Volumes/SnoLo/Extra"

Then reboot to your OS X install with the boot CD and run the post install again.

I'm still w/ mouse lags and/or cpu stuttering. Tried w/ and wo/ "cpus=1", w/ and wo/ VoodooTSCsync.kext, w/ and wo/ dsdt.aml (compiled w/ and wo/ -newHPET) and almost all combinations of that stuff and it's always the same: slight mouse lags dependent on the cpu load.

So, what about the other .kexts in /Extra/Extensions, any suspicious of causing the mouse lags (maybe Natit.kext which I need for my GMA950)?

Any solution to get PCMCIA and memory card reader work?

The only think I can think of regarding the mouse lags is to plug in USB mouse & keyboard and then dump the voodoops2 kexts, rebuild_mkexts and reboot. If the external keyboard and mouse work okay, then you can look at alternate PS2 solutions for your onboard mouse & keyboard.

For PCMCIA, no 64-bit solution I am aware of. The old 32-bit chunnan pcmciakext might work in 32-bit mode, but I haven't tested it. It's caused a lot of kernel panics in the past - your mileage may vary.

first off great guide, just installed sl on my d620 and it looks pretty smooth. so far the only things not working are sleep (with and without a system password in bios) and the audio isn't 100%. voodoohda works pretty well when i'm just using the laptop (clean sound, autoswitching for headphones and muting internal speakers), but when i plug into my docking station the audio doesn't get passed through to the audio output on the dock. sys prefs only shows one output device so i can't switch to digital output like i did in 10.5 (using sonotone's patched applehda.kext for sigmatel9200). has anyone had this issue and come up with a solution? i know its kind of picky but i can't be the only one using a docking station. when i get home tonight i'll play with it more and maybe replace voodoohda with sonotone's appleHDA to /extra/extensions and see if that helps.

as for sleep, i'm not convinced its ever getting to a sleep state. my bluetooth light stays on and the power light doesnt start blinking. the screen just goes black and the machine becomes unresponsive

overall pretty solid though. thanks leppy!

There's a utility for voodoohda that I didn't include that might fix that problem. Google up VoodooHDA 0.2.2 - UPDATED.

I don't know if that will work or not.

Your SL/950 package also works on a HP DV2405TU (aka Pavilion dv2000). You will need the 10.5 kext for the intel PRO ethernet and the VoodooPower.kext for speedstep added to extras, but other than that all good. No sleep, but that's no surprise. I deleted the Natit kext, are you sure it's necessary? My 950 works fine without it.

Spec: Yonah T2130 / 945GM / 950 GPU / Connexant Audio / Broadcom wifi / Intel VE PRO ethernet.

Going to chuck Snow Kitty on my D620 tomorrow...

Natit got me QE/CI on the D620 with GMA950. I am looking to replace it with a good EFI string though.

Any further help and details you could provide with this would be msot appreciated. I still can not get this done using either a ghost image or a drive copy from Norton Ghost 14.

When I set up the hard drive and partition it using OSX, I set it up as a 3 partition drive. The first is 50GB and is MacOS Journaled (for my OSX), the second is 50GB and is FAT (for my WINXP), the final is 150GB and is FAT (for my data). But when OSX is done I actually end up with 5 partitions. The first is 200MB and I am guessing has something to do with booting or Chameleon or something. The second is 46.67GB for OSX. The third is actually 129MB of unallocated space. The fourth is 46.67GB for WINXP. The fifth and final is about 139GB for my data.

The WINXP drive I am trying to copy is 48.88GB, so I do not know if that is my problem. Whether I copy or restore I can not change the size of the image to match the partition made by OSX. Again, any help with this would be most appreciated.

No matter what I do I keep getting a hal.dll error. In OSX, WINXP is partition 3, but in WIndows, I believe it is tecnically partition 4. Although I just thought about this again. In WINXP the boot.ini file is set to rdisk0. But when setting the active partition using terminal I have to work with disk1 I believe. I am going to transfer hard drives one more time and see if I can change the drive number and partition number and see if this thing will work.

Wish me luck. But again, any help that anyone can help me with would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Nevermind. I just went back and looked and OSX does see it as disk0. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thank you.

u need primary partition for xp. max 4 per disk then it becomes extended (hence the 112 mb encapsulates the ntfs partition)

i did fiddling with that method a yr ago and i stuck with separate disks for ease of other techs to install xp

** hint if its xp u have to put it in the first partition then rest u can do 200 MB fat32 for EFI and rest for other 2 partitions.

if u use ghost. it will copy partition table info and it will make it extended i believe.. btw try gparted live to see graphically whats going on :) and u can take screenshots :)

btw try the boot.ini trick with multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" or change 5 to 4 and keep trying.

if u doing vista or 7 it should work at any partition location.

Thanks LatinMcGuyver. I tried changing the boot.ini file when I had XP on the 3rd partition and it would not work either.

I downloaded GParted Live and created a 4 partition HD. But they were all created as Primary Partitions. Is that correct?

Part 1 --> 52.5GB NTFS for WINXP

Part 2 --> 200MB FAT32 for EFI

Part 3 --> 52.5GB FAT32 for OSX (this will be reformatted as MAC OSX Journaled later)

Part 4 --> 130GB FAT32 for MY DATA

Is this correct? Like I said, they are all Primary Partitions. Should one or more of them be extended or logical? Thanks.

Thanks LatinMcGuyver. I tried changing the boot.ini file when I had XP on the 3rd partition and it would not work either.

I downloaded GParted Live and created a 4 partition HD. But they were all created as Primary Partitions. Is that correct?

Part 1 --> 52.5GB NTFS for WINXP

Part 2 --> 200MB FAT32 for EFI

Part 3 --> 52.5GB FAT32 for OSX (this will be reformatted as MAC OSX Journaled later)

Part 4 --> 130GB FAT32 for MY DATA

Is this correct? Like I said, they are all Primary Partitions. Should one or more of them be extended or logical? Thanks.

You can skip the EFI partition, since you won't be using GUID anyway. If you do skip it, then MACOS is still on the 2nd partition, and the default Chameleon install just might work later on.

You can also set up your partitions initially with a WINXP install CD and format the NT partition NTFS. Then restore your XP backup and get it working. You can reformat the MACOS partition (the 2nd partition) from the OS X uniltiy > disk utility menu from the install DVD. I don't think you can install OS X on a non-GUID partition table, but - you should be able to restore it to a MACOS Extended Journaled partition.

Gotcha Leppy. I will make that change and proceed. I will let you know how it turns out.

You can skip the EFI partition, since you won't be using GUID anyway. If you do skip it, then MACOS is still on the 2nd partition, and the default Chameleon install just might work later on.

You can also set up your partitions initially with a WINXP install CD and format the NT partition NTFS. Then restore your XP backup and get it working. You can reformat the MACOS partition (the 2nd partition) from the OS X uniltiy > disk utility menu from the install DVD. I don't think you can install OS X on a non-GUID partition table, but - you should be able to restore it to a MACOS Extended Journaled partition.

One last question. If I use the chain0.exe method to have the XP bootloader recognize the OSX partition, do I need the Chameleon install? I would rather use the XP bootloader when all is said and done.

Leppy you are a gentleman and a scholar. I have access to only a Latitude D820 and D620 and I have been trying since the first beta started appearing to get SL onto either one of my laptops. With your SL boot CD I was finally able to get it done (I am writing this on my SL install on the D620)!

Great job and thanks for the guide and all of your work on this project, another happy customer!

Anthony

EUREKA!!!!!!

Leppy, you are a fugging genius. I am typing this now from a working XP partition.

And I am typing this from a working SL partition. XP bootloader is working. The only thing that is bugging me and it is not even a big deal when booting into OSX, I still get the Chameleon bootloader. Anyway to remove that and just leave the XP bootloader to handle it all.

Either way it is working and I will move forward with testing sleeping stuff and other bits. Leppy you are a genius and a saint. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

For anyone else interested, I followed Leppy's instructions he posted above.

Gotcha Leppy. I will make that change and proceed. I will let you know how it turns out.

One last question. If I use the chain0.exe method to have the XP bootloader recognize the OSX partition, do I need the Chameleon install? I would rather use the XP bootloader when all is said and done.

Yeah, I think you'll still need chameleon, though afterward you could make the WINXP partiton active and boot there first.

Leppy you are a gentleman and a scholar. I have access to only a Latitude D820 and D620 and I have been trying since the first beta started appearing to get SL onto either one of my laptops. With your SL boot CD I was finally able to get it done (I am writing this on my SL install on the D620)!

Great job and thanks for the guide and all of your work on this project, another happy customer!

Anthony

Groovy. More happy people make me happy.

EUREKA!!!!!!

Leppy, you are a fugging genius. I am typing this now from a working XP partition.

And I am typing this from a working SL partition. XP bootloader is working. The only thing that is bugging me and it is not even a big deal when booting into OSX, I still get the Chameleon bootloader. Anyway to remove that and just leave the XP bootloader to handle it all.

Either way it is working and I will move forward with testing sleeping stuff and other bits. Leppy you are a genius and a saint. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

For anyone else interested, I followed Leppy's instructions he posted above.

you really WANT to see chameleon. That gives you an opportunity to enter boot flags to save your bacon sometimes. Hey, I am glad you got it worked out so that it works.

you really WANT to see chameleon. That gives you an opportunity to enter boot flags to save your bacon sometimes. Hey, I am glad you got it worked out so that it works.

Gotcha. I can live with it then. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate all of the guidance and the patience.

Gotcha. I can live with it then. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate all of the guidance and the patience.

I like a good puzzle sometimes. I am still not sure why the first method doesn't work - but oh well. Thanks for not giving up and being willing to go with plan B. It's useful info for later.

I like a good puzzle sometimes. I am still not sure why the first method doesn't work - but oh well. Thanks for not giving up and being willing to go with plan B. It's useful info for later.

yeah i had same puzzle a yr+ ago and i didnt give up sorta. till chameleon2 came around.

now heres my puzzle.. im posting from a inspiron 1420 nvidia 8400m gs 128mb that i booted with the v2 cd to retail 10.5.6

running with no appleintelcpudisabler instead used some of yourkextpack: AppleACPIBatteryManager, AppleDecrypt, AppleSMBIOS, fakesmc, SMBIOSResolver, the 3 voodooPS2's and VoodooTSCSync :DNOCPUS=1 anymore in apple.boot.com.plist (and i didnt have do any of the pre or post scripts)

i did use mkextool to remake the extensions.mkext in /Extras with just that list ^

however i noticed when i boot from your cd i can shutdown or restart.. unlike when i boot from the chameleon2 rc2 withoptions checked: forcehpet and ethernetbuiltin and NO extras kexts at all checked and a dsdt.aml generated by fassl's autopatcherGUI i got at pc wiz computer site.

Leppy700m .

my main issue is the shutdown and restart.. what did u find that fixes the shutdown? i thought i had it pinpointed but i havent yet as im exhausted with 12 hrs on this..

i noticed the wireless unloads on shutdown after cpu halted when i boot your cd booting to 80 :P with my way it doesn't and hangs running fan and powe LED on.

i have not installed openhaltrestart yet. but will soon. EDIT: same no shutdown no restart.

btw which files are related to nvidia in the kexts ? IONDRVSupport, IOGraphicsFamily ?

i still have to deal with the audio mapping to speakers on sigmatel 9228 but im confident about that.. been reading a lot of 9228 pinconfig issues.. isn't there a fixed remake of voodoohda for 9228 ?

this 1525 kext by slice and gbonilla worked < click it if you have 1525 or 1420 or 1500 model Dell :P

(forget lan bcm5906 till the driver is finished hope in a few weeks or months)

Wish I could return the favor for you, but I can't.

Where you the one who posted about AppleCPUThermal.kext that you used to get sleep working? Can you please post that kext, because I can not find it anywhere. Thanks.

um not me.. that's news to me.

i did install openhaltrestart.. still no shutdown or restart... i thinks its the ionetworkignfamily or the IO80211 kext that u have in your kextpack that allows shutdown?

wow somehow i have sleep working but when i open lid i loose touchpad tap on inspiron 1420, shutdown or restart still a myth (not working unless i boot from your cd which is cpus=1 ?)

Well I tried sleepenabler.kext as well. I was able to click the apple and put the computer to sleep and was able to wake it up. The sound was pretty messed up when it did wake up though.

I did also adjust the Energy Saver settings to let the computer put itself to sleep. I came and found it asleep and clicked the power button to wake it. It sounded like it woke, but the screen stayed black and showed nothing. I would try the other method posted above, but am lacking one of the kext files needed. I can not find the AppleACPIThermal.kext file. If someone could upload it, I would love to try it and report back. Thanks.

Well I tried sleepenabler.kext as well. I was able to click the apple and put the computer to sleep and was able to wake it up. The sound was pretty messed up when it did wake up though.

I did also adjust the Energy Saver settings to let the computer put itself to sleep. I came and found it asleep and clicked the power button to wake it. It sounded like it woke, but the screen stayed black and showed nothing. I would try the other method posted above, but am lacking one of the kext files needed. I can not find the AppleACPIThermal.kext file. If someone could upload it, I would love to try it and report back. Thanks.

i have a stac9228 audio on a inspiron 1420 i hope u didnt use the audio link in prior post thats for 9228 codec in inspiron 1420

i also used dsdt patched with fassl patcher but used GUI by stylvnub and i have a core2 duo u have a core duo.

my audio is perfect after sleep. i went vanilla all way with no kernel mod (which is why i cant shutdown i believe)

EDIT: i am using chameleon rc2 with forcewake .. that might be part of reason im able to resume with combination of VoodooTSCSync and fakesms kext's

i give up.. 10.5.8 is working perfect compared to others issues of no wake from sleep and distorted sound.. im lucky.

chameleon2 rc3 GraphicsEnabler, forcehpet rock and not to forget vooodooTSCSynch and netkas fakesmc all doing a darn good job.

Works fine on D620 C2D T7200/nvidia m110nvs/Broadcom wifi. Sleep doesn't work, neither does display sleep - which is more annoying. Voodoopower.kext gives working speedstep, sleepenabler.kext causes the computer to enter sleep - full blinky led etc - then wake up after a couple of seconds.

Core Duo, i have installed the 10.6.0 and the CPU was showen up as one CPU two Cores with each 2 Ghz. Than i made the Software Updated to 10.6.1 now i have one CPU with two Cores each 1 Ghz, hmmmmm can anybody help? Laptop is a D620, everything else works great!!!

Pls help

Core Duo, i have installed the 10.6.0 and the CPU was showen up as one CPU two Cores with each 2 Ghz. Than i made the Software Updated to 10.6.1 now i have one CPU with two Cores each 1 Ghz, hmmmmm can anybody help? Laptop is a D620, everything else works great!!!

Pls help

Mine has just done this as well. Any thoughts?

Hello all,

I just finished my Retail SL installation on Dell D620. It is amazing. It worked.

First of all I want to say thank you for all the hard work you have done. Everything works accept my Intel 3945 WiFi. I cant find anything that even makes it work (I dont care if there are bugs or not ;) )

I am writing this from Safari ;) Yey

I have 2 questions:

1. Can you point to some Intel Wi-Fi driver? If not, can you suggest some Wi-Fi card to buy ?

2. If I go to About This Mac, I can see that the processor is 1.03 Ghz Intel Core Duo. I know that this should be 1.84 Ghz processor. Is this a known issue? Is this in fact a print issue (About this Mac not reporting the correct CPU frequency) ?

Model Name:	Mac Pro
 Model Identifier:	MacPro2,1
 Processor Name:	Intel Core Duo
 Processor Speed:	1.03 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	2
 L2 Cache:	2 MB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	667 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	MP21.005C.B01
 SMC Version (system):	1.30f3
 Serial Number (system):	SOMESRLNMBR