[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Thanks to Leppy's help, I could have the dual-booting of Windows XP and Snow Leopard work on my D620. In my case, Snow Leopard is on the first partition and XP is on the second.

Initially, I set the first partition as active using the following commands Leppy suggested:

• sudo –s
  • fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0
  • p
  • f 1
  • w
  • q

I want XP to be the default OS, but, if I didn't hit the key before the timeout when Chameleon starts, Snow Leopard was started.

Therefore, I executed f 2 instead of f 1 in order to make XP partition active, put "chain0" file in C:\, and added c:\chain0="Mac Partition Name" to the end of "boot.ini" file.

Do me a favor and post your boot.ini as a sanity check for my last post.

Thanks, this guide worked perfectly on my old Compaq nx6310 :D

Great! The boot CD worked for you okay too?

I wonder how many other mobile GMA950s there are out there that would work as well.

Awesome !

Thanks a lot for this great piece of work Leppy!

You must have spend weeks or months to collect all this information.

My D820 works fine with Leopard now.

Only a driver for the Intel 3945 Wifi Card is missing. But mercurysquad is on the way :)

And even sleep will finally work sometime...

Awesome !

Thanks a lot for this great piece of work Leppy!

You must have spend weeks or months to collect all this information.

My D820 works fine with Leopard now.

Only a driver for the Intel 3945 Wifi Card is missing. But mercurysquad is on the way :thumbsup_anim:

And even sleep will finally work sometime...

You're welcome. It took me about two weeks to out together everything for SL, run a beta by a couple of people and put up D620SLV1.iso. I would have had things done a lot sooner, but I was waiting for a TSCsync solution. I didn't see the point of upgrading to SL if I had to drop back to single core operation.

Only a driver for the Intel 3945 Wifi Card is missing. But mercurysquad is on the way :D

Don't hold your breath waiting. It's worth spending 15 or 20 bucks to get a Broadcom card from Ebay.

Do me a favor and post your boot.ini as a sanity check for my last post.

Here is the boot.ini file in my XP partition.

It is not a big issue, but it takes forever if I try to open My Computer.

I am not sure, but it seems to have a hard time recognizing Mac partition.

boot.zip

Ok leppy, leave it to me to cause problems....

Went to BB and I bought the SL DVD today in great anticipation of getting up to the latest and greatest. Plopped your handy dandy SL boot CD into the laptop and booted to chameleon. Saw the .iso icon on the left, OSX on the right. Ejected the boot CD, put in the SL DVD, hit F5, selected Leopard (although the characters are garbled?), got a grey screen for a few seconds, then kernel panic. No go, no way.

I'm on a D620, BIOS rev A08, NVS 110m graphics. Any ideas?

Thx,

sci85

Ok leppy, leave it to me to cause problems....

Went to BB and I bought the SL DVD today in great anticipation of getting up to the latest and greatest. Plopped your handy dandy SL boot CD into the laptop and booted to chameleon. Saw the .iso icon on the left, OSX on the right. Ejected the boot CD, put in the SL DVD, hit F5, selected Leopard (although the characters are garbled?), got a grey screen for a few seconds, then kernel panic. No go, no way.

I'm on a D620, BIOS rev A08, NVS 110m graphics. Any ideas?

Thx,

sci85

I have a D620 with NVS 110m. I think the garbled characters mean that your computer has trouble with reading DVD. I had the same issue, but, fortunately, could swap D620's DVD drive with that of

D610 (as suggested by Leppy) and install SL successfully. Leppy said that some combo DVD drives seem to have trouble reading it. Now SL in D620 is almost perfectly working except Wake from Sleep.

Update:

Ok, I already have on older OSX install on the hard drive. So when chameleon boots, it shows me the D620SLV1.iso on the left and OSX on the right which I'm assuming is my current OSX image on the hard drive. I select the D620SLV1.iso icon and get a different panic. I don't even get to the SL DVD. It panics with this message:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x558993): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

Then a bunch of debug stuff.

Any idea's?

Thx again.

Well, I'm posting this update from my new shiny SL install. Everything seems to be working. In the process of doing a time machine backup before laying down the 10.6.1 updates.

One thing though, does your wifi light work? Mine does not light up even though the wifi connection is working...

One kudo's to you leppy. Rockstar!

sci85

Well, I'm posting this update from my new shiny SL install. Everything seems to be working. In the process of doing a time machine backup before laying down the 10.6.1 updates. One thing though, does your wifi light work? Mine does not light up even though the wifi connection is working...One kudo's to you leppy. Rockstar!

You know, I never thought to look at the wifi light. Since that doesn't tell me if I am actually connected, I pretty much ignore it and look to the OS to tell me about my connection. No, it's not lighting up. My bluetooth light is though.

I have no idea what's going on with this board, but it's freaking out with exraneous break symbols during these message edits. It's getting annoying.

First of all: thanks for your guide and your boot cd! And sorry for not having read the whole thread and (maybe) posting the same question again.

I mananged to install SL on my FSC Lifebook E8110, rebooted with the help of the cd and my first impression was: WHOW - graphics in full res (however don't know if it was 1400x1050) and sound during the introduction video! But: there seems to be a problem with the graphics resulting in video & sound interruptions during the intro video playback and the annoying mouse lags that I also had with the iPC 10.5.6 installation.

So, do I have a basic problem with my video card? Which method do you use to get video running? Patched .kext (I don't think so) or EFI string? In the latter case, do you think I can adapt the EFI string to my system? I'm still before the post install procedure.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Addition: my keyboard (ps2) is not recognized. You Dell guys have a USB keyboard?

First of all: thanks for your guide and your boot cd! And sorry for not having read the whole thread and (maybe) posting the same question again.

I mananged to install SL on my FSC Lifebook E8110, rebooted with the help of the cd and my first impression was: WHOW - graphics in full res (however don't know if it was 1400x1050) and sound during the introduction video! But: there seems to be a problem with the graphics resulting in video & sound interruptions during the intro video playback and the annoying mouse lags that I also had with the iPC 10.5.6 installation.

So, do I have a basic problem with my video card? Which method do you use to get video running? Patched .kext (I don't think so) or EFI string? In the latter case, do you think I can adapt the EFI string to my system? I'm still before the post install procedure.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Addition: my keyboard (ps2) is not recognized. You Dell guys have a USB keyboard?

My keyboard is USB, but that works without any kexts. The kexts included are intended to get the laptop keyboard working.

After post install, you can see all the kexts in /Extra/Extensions. I am not using any EFI strings.

Question for you - did you enter any boot commands at all or did you let it boot with the ones I put in Boot.plist?

If you entered your own, that could explain the stuttering. Until post install, there is no TSCsync to deal with CPU stuttering so the CD boots cpus=1 mode. If you enter your own, mine are overridden.

My keyboard is USB, but that works without any kexts. The kexts included are intended to get the laptop keyboard working.

The USB .kexts are installed during post install, i.e. before I have to use a USB keyboard!?

Question for you - did you enter any boot commands at all or did you let it boot with the ones I put in Boot.plist?

If you entered your own, that could explain the stuttering. Until post install, there is no TSCsync to deal with CPU stuttering so the CD boots cpus=1 mode. If you enter your own, mine are overridden.

I did not enter any boot commands. So, after post install I will have TSCsync (what's that?) eliminating CPU / Mouse / video stuttering? Is there a special .kext for that? By the way: I have a Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo).

Well I triedlast night on my blank drive. I got the bootloader to come up. Pulled out the D620SLV1 disc, put in my SL disc and got a Parse error in plist.info. It would not start the install. I did not spend much time on it to be honest though. I will try again this evening. Please let me know if you have any ideas before I start. Thanks.

Leppy, thanks for this great guide and bootdisk! Had iPC 10.5.6 on my d620 and now 10.6.1 retail 64bit, so nice and so much more stable!

Only got 2 things that I need to fix; (lid) sleep and 1/2 finger scroll. So if anyone has any suggestions on those I would love to hear them. Looked at dsdt patch for lid/sleep and some recompiled voodoops2 kexts for the trackpad but so far neither is working.

Well I triedlast night on my blank drive. I got the bootloader to come up. Pulled out the D620SLV1 disc, put in my SL disc and got a Parse error in plist.info. It would not start the install. I did not spend much time on it to be honest though. I will try again this evening. Please let me know if you have any ideas before I start. Thanks.

When the bootloader comes up, switch disks then press F5 until you are reading your SL disk. Then make sure the SL install disk is highlighted before you press enter.

Leppy, thanks for this great guide and bootdisk! Had iPC 10.5.6 on my d620 and now 10.6.1 retail 64bit, so nice and so much more stable!

Only got 2 things that I need to fix; (lid) sleep and 1/2 finger scroll. So if anyone has any suggestions on those I would love to hear them. Looked at dsdt patch for lid/sleep and some recompiled voodoops2 kexts for the trackpad but so far neither is working.

In order to fix lid sleep, we first must fix sleep.

I had a two fingered trackpad scroll thing sorta working. I hated it, so I pulled it back out.

To scroll, I just hold down a button as I scroll - just like in Windows. I like it better that way. Maybe I'm just not used to two finger scrolling, but to me it feels akin to drunk driving a unicycle down an ice covered ski jump.

larryo: You could try to restore your install dvd to another medium like usb hdd, I had some trouble with switching cds and refreshing the chameleon menu. Then I restored the DVD to a usb hdd (could be a usb stick for that matter) and it worked fine.

leppy: True but with leopard I had lid sleep working without normal sleep ever working (didn't really care so haven't tried), but that was with clamshelldisplay.kext, which afaik isn't being developed anymore.

I do know sleep+lid sleep works on some laptops trough a dsdt hack, but I'm just too noob when it comes to dsdt.

For scroll, idk it's not really a prio but I do like it.

larryo: You could try to restore your install dvd to another medium like usb hdd, I had some trouble with switching cds and refreshing the chameleon menu. Then I restored the DVD to a usb hdd (could be a usb stick for that matter) and it worked fine.

So how would that work with the boot cd? Do I just leave the boot CD in or take it out before I choose the USB HDD. I was able to install SL on an HP laptop (actually typing this from that computer) using a USB HDD. I restored the install DVD to a USB stick and then ran a program that installed the bootloader onto the USB stick, so I could boot straight from that. More details would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the boot.ini file in my XP partition.

It is not a big issue, but it takes forever if I try to open My Computer.

I am not sure, but it seems to have a hard time recognizing Mac partition.

Can you please post or PM me some details about how you did this? Did you install the SL and create a 2-Partition drive. Go through the SL install and then install XP to the second partition? Are you using the OSX bootloader or the Windows bootloader with CHain0 to decide the os to boot? When you say it takes forever, are we talking 5 seconds or 5 minutes? I have built a couple of dual boot machines and none of them even recognize the OSX partition when looking at My Computer.

Can you please post or PM me some details about how you did this? Did you install the SL and create a 2-Partition drive. Go through the SL install and then install XP to the second partition? Are you using the OSX bootloader or the Windows bootloader with CHain0 to decide the os to boot? When you say it takes forever, are we talking 5 seconds or 5 minutes? I have built a couple of dual boot machines and none of them even recognize the OSX partition when looking at My Computer.

I am not familiar with the booting process, but this is what I did:

1) Install SL with 2 partitions

2) Install Windows XP

3) OSX was not recognized when the computer starts. I started the computer with Leppy's CD and selected SL partition from Chameleon's menu. When SL started, I executed the following commands from Terminal to make SL partition active.

• sudo –s
  • fdisk –e /dev/rdisk0
  • p
  • f 2 (I think that 2 is SL and 3 is XP.)
  • w
  • q

4) I increased the timeout by changing the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to read like this:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>30</string> - Initially, it was 1 second.

5) Restated the computer

6) When Chameleon icon shows up, I hit Enter Key.

7) Choose SL or Windows from the selection.

In order to make XP as the default OS, I executed the same commands above from SL Terminal (this time, f 3 instead of f 2). When it was restarted, it went to XP directly. I copied chain0 in C:\ and added c:\chain0="Mac Partition Name" in boot.ini file.

As I said, it takes forever (more than a minute) to display My Computer or browse the folder when I tried to save the file. I couldn't find the solution yet. I am installing Windows 7 to see if it fixes it.

Hello!

I don't own a dell, but a Fujitsu S7110, and with the help of your instructions, my S7110 is Snow Leopard!

What does not work:

Sleep

3945abg

LAN

Everything else seems to work, just finish installing about 30 minutes ago, still testing stability.

Will report back.

Thanks!

P.S The cd that was used for the boot up, how does it work? Because I was shocked almost everything seemed to work without me manually adding kexts to make them work - Does that mean that it works straight of a vanilla CD? Or was there a script that added Kexts to during installation to help during the installation?