[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Been messing with my D620 for a while now. This week i have made about 20 reinstalls.

About 6 of them have been with a Leopard disk following these guidelines. I havent used the D620 post installer yet but will try tomorrow. I got video working with video drivers from "Dell Post installer" kit. It broke my mouse tho, had to use a usb mouse and could not get it to work. Although that was the best one ive used to this day, NVkush showed shadows and gradients funny but the one in the Post installer had none.

Ah and a funny thing, i can´t get video working when i first install chameleon and then the other stuff from the boot-132. I need to insert the code into terminal twice and then install chameleon. Then i can make system changes.

M

Been messing with my D620 for a while now. This week i have made about 20 reinstalls.

About 6 of them have been with a Leopard disk following these guidelines. I havent used the D620 post installer yet but will try tomorrow. I got video working with video drivers from "Dell Post installer" kit. It broke my mouse tho, had to use a usb mouse and could not get it to work. Although that was the best one ive used to this day, NVkush showed shadows and gradients funny but the one in the Post installer had none.

Ah and a funny thing, i can´t get video working when i first install chameleon and then the other stuff from the boot-132. I need to insert the code into terminal twice and then install chameleon. Then i can make system changes.

M

Is there a question there? I have no idea how you are partitioned and what you've got there. If you use my method with a D620, everything but sleep and intel wifi cards will work unless your D620 is broken. Further, once installed, you won't need to reinstall to mess with configuration or correct a pooched install if you stay away from modifying /System/Library/Extensions and just experiment in /Extra/Extensions.

Okay, I have my SL partition installed and working. Very nicely I might add. I have tried to reinstall my XP partition from a ghost image. It completes okay; however, each time it is done I get a hal.dll error when booting the XP partition. I am still trying to figure that out. If I can then I think I am up and running. I am using Norton Ghost and it is giving me the hal.dll error every time. I have even tried restoring the file by itself after the complete restore is done. I am at a loss, but will keep searching for it.

Can anyone upload the AppleACPIThermal.kext file? I have been unable to locate it anywhere. Also, do those four files go into the Extras folder or in the System/Library/Extensions folder? Thanks.

finally dvd retail can boot on notebook acer aspire 4710

Acer aspire 4710 intel core duo T2450 (2.0 Ghz,533Mhz Fsb,2Mb L2 Cache)

Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950

etc

not done installing cause need more space Hd

thks for loader

im running 10.5.6 smoothly so far on GMA950 and bios A10 doing apple updates as i type this, thanks Leppy! :D:chef: < chief chef

larryo108 heres the driver for dell truemobile 1390 for inspiron 9400 (should work fine on yours tho)

ftp.us.dell.com/network/Dell_multi-device_A17_R174291.exe

btw try to image that to a separate drive .. then image partition to partition.

( i think ghost is messing with partition info "extended"=bad for xp.. due to GUID in same disk, primary=good for xp in first section of disk) < i use ubcd4win and driveimagexml :2cents:

btw i had installed 10.5.4 in a c700 and it had somewhat similar graphics issues.. but with 10.5.6 the x3100 worked with artifacts.. till i used efi string for gma950 and enabled quartz with no need to delete the gma or x3100 kexts or modded. then updated to 10.5.8 and i think i had to use the old 10.5.6 kext and framebuffer :P its been 4 or so months but that laptop is gone so i cant reconfirm methods i did..

friend left (it=his laptop) on top of car and drove off :lol::afro: < all hair no brain

Can I ask a question about dsdt file?

If I add the dsdt file under Extra folder, do I need to remove certain kexts to see the effect of the dsdt file? Thanks.

Extracting the BIOS to generate the dsdt file is best done with as few kexts loaded as possible. Then after it is patched and moved to /Extra, see where you are and either do further dsdt patching or add kexts as required to get everything working. The idea is to get the dsdt file to tell the OS how to interface wth your hardware so that custom loaded kexts aren't required - it does the job of the bios.

Okay, I have my SL partition installed and working. Very nicely I might add. I have tried to reinstall my XP partition from a ghost image. It completes okay; however, each time it is done I get a hal.dll error when booting the XP partition. I am still trying to figure that out. If I can then I think I am up and running. I am using Norton Ghost and it is giving me the hal.dll error every time. I have even tried restoring the file by itself after the complete restore is done. I am at a loss, but will keep searching for it.

Can anyone upload the AppleACPIThermal.kext file? I have been unable to locate it anywhere. Also, do those four files go into the Extras folder or in the System/Library/Extensions folder? Thanks.

The hal.dll error will go away once your boot.ini file is set up properly.

Put added kexts in /Extra/Extensions and run rebuild_mkext.command. If they don't work, it's because there are dependancies that must also be loaded or it's just not the right kext for your hardware.

finally dvd retail can boot on notebook acer aspire 4710

Acer aspire 4710 intel core duo T2450 (2.0 Ghz,533Mhz Fsb,2Mb L2 Cache)

Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950

etc

not done installing cause need more space Hd

thks for loader

Glad to hear it. Add one more GMA950 machine to the "works" list.

Feel free to experiment. If you stick to adding/removing kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then running rebuild_mkext it will be hard to make an error you can't recover from using the Install/Boot CD.

I installed a new .kext - no problem, then I compiled a dsdt.aml - no problem. Being in the flow of installing new stuff, I installed another .kext and now get a kernel panic. Recovering from the boot cd does not work, neither with -s, -F nor with dsdt=no or a combination of all of these switches.

Any ideas?

I installed a new .kext - no problem, then I compiled a dsdt.aml - no problem. Being in the flow of installing new stuff, I installed another .kext and now get a kernel panic. Recovering from the boot cd does not work, neither with -s, -F nor with dsdt=no or a combination of all of these switches.

Any ideas?

try -x (safe mode) with the boot CD. If that doesn't work, try -s (single user mode). that will get to to the unix command line where you could delete /Extra.

rm -R /Extra

Then reboot again with the boot CD and start over with the post install.

try -x (safe mode) with the boot CD. If that doesn't work, try -s (single user mode). that will get to to the unix command line where you could delete /Extra.

rm -R /Extra

Then reboot again with the boot CD and start over with the post install.

Thanks, hope that -x works. Any other way how to mount the hard disk to delete the .kext?

Is there a question there? I have no idea how you are partitioned and what you've got there. If you use my method with a D620, everything but sleep and intel wifi cards will work unless your D620 is broken. Further, once installed, you won't need to reinstall to mess with configuration or correct a pooched install if you stay away from modifying /System/Library/Extensions and just experiment in /Extra/Extensions.

No there really wasnt a question there.

I now have my system working with both cores and excellent graphics. So thanks for that!

It seemed that the iDeneb stuff and other kext files were made for iDeneb, iPC etc. systems.

Your stuff works excellently!

Btw does time machine work okay?

M

Yes, however note that the 3945abg is not supported (currently a semi-working beta kext exists but only allows for connection to non-secured AP's) and as you might have read the BCM57xx (5752 I assume) isn't supported with 64bit (the 10.5 leopard kext works for 32bit tho).

You could however try to get a dell 1390 wifi card or some other supported from ebay for very little.

Thanks much to you and Leppy for the help, and I apologize for the slow reply. I'm looking forward to this!

A couple of other questions - it occurs to me that I have an earlier retail MacOS DVD - possibly as early as 10.5. Will this install? And if not, can I install directly from my Sno Lep 10.6 DVD?

Lastly, any problem dual booting with XP SP3 using MBR?

Btw does time machine work okay?

You know, I didn't check it on these. I haven't had any reports of TM failures. I suppose I should leave some space for a TM partition for testing purposes.

How does it work there?

Thanks much to you and Leppy for the help, and I apologize for the slow reply. I'm looking forward to this!

A couple of other questions - it occurs to me that I have an earlier retail MacOS DVD - possibly as early as 10.5. Will this install? And if not, can I install directly from my Sno Lep 10.6 DVD?

Lastly, any problem dual booting with XP SP3 using MBR?

Leo 10.5 should install using the BOOT-132 cd.

Snow Leo (um... snolo?) will install with the D620SLV1 cd.

OS X retail would only install on a guid partition table here.

Thanks, hope that -x works. Any other way how to mount the hard disk to delete the .kext?

-s flag? where was the kext installed that it is causing this even when booting from CD?

larryo108 heres the driver for dell truemobile 1390 for inspiron 9400 (should work fine on yours tho)

ftp.us.dell.com/network/Dell_multi-device_A17_R174291.exe

Thank you. I will try that. In fact I am doing a hard drive copy using Norton Ghost from my working XP install to my SL Dual Boot HD. Will report back on that when all is done. I had already made a Ghost Image to an external hd from one working drive. I then inserted my sl drive and tried to restore the Ghost Image from the external to the dual boot hd. I did just notice though that the one drive is 48.83GB and the SL dual boot shows a 46.57GB partition. I do not know if that is going to be a problem. How would I fix the boot.ini file if I can not boot into the XP partition.

I will try the driver. But it is not necessarily a Dell TrueMobile card. It is a broadcom card though and it works very well in OSX. If worse comes to worse, I will install the Intel card back and put the broadcom card in like leppy suggested. So I would have a separate wifi card for each OS, but at least it wouldn't be a usb wifi thingy.

Thanks for all of the help. I will report back again this afternoon.

where was the kext installed that it is causing this even when booting from CD?

In /Extra/Extensions

By the way: do the .kext in /Extra/Extensions displace the .kext in S/L/E, e.g. AppleIntelGMA950.kext such that it doesn't matter if the .kext in S/L/E are overwritten e.g. due to an update?

Extracting the BIOS to generate the dsdt file is best done with as few kexts loaded as possible. Then after it is patched and moved to /Extra, see where you are and either do further dsdt patching or add kexts as required to get everything working. The idea is to get the dsdt file to tell the OS how to interface wth your hardware so that custom loaded kexts aren't required - it does the job of the bios.

I am sorry to bother you again because I am new to Leopard, but I am a little confused. There are two folders for the kexts: S/L/E and Extension under Extra folder.

Do I need to add or remove kexts from both folders or only one of them?

Thanks.

In /Extra/Extensions

By the way: do the .kext in /Extra/Extensions displace the .kext in S/L/E, e.g. AppleIntelGMA950.kext such that it doesn't matter if the .kext in S/L/E are overwritten e.g. due to an update?

No, they get loaded instead of, but they don't displace. If you can get into single user mode and delete /Extra, then you should be able to boot with the bootcd and then run the post install again to fix things.

enter -s at the chameleon prompt

I am sorry to bother you again because I am new to Leopard, but I am a little confused. There are two folders for the kexts: S/L/E and Extension under Extra folder.

Do I need to add or remove kexts from both folders or only one of them?

Thanks.

s/l/e is where apple puts all the default kexts. We're trying hard not to mess with that. All custom kexts should go into /Extra/Extensions, and then we rebuild extensions.mkext located in /Extra.

Time machine seems to be working.

It backs up my info every hour.

And i can restore apps and other stuff.

Any word on the sleep issue?

My computer goes to sleep and wakes up(when i press the sleep button) but it breaks sound.

M

Time machine seems to be working.

It backs up my info every hour.

And i can restore apps and other stuff.

Any word on the sleep issue?

My computer goes to sleep and wakes up(when i press the sleep button) but it breaks sound.

M

Are you in 64 bit mode? I am surprised you are reporting your ethernet not working. What did you do to get sleep going? If it's just sound, we could write a script to unload and reload the sounds kexts, I suppose.

Are you in 64 bit mode? I am surprised you are reporting your ethernet not working. What did you do to get sleep going? If it's just sound, we could write a script to unload and reload the sounds kexts, I suppose.

Ah ill change that, didn't see it.

But i actually didn't do anything different from your guidelines. It normally goes to sleep when i hit the sleep button in the menu bar and it wakes up pretty fast, sometimes it takes a few more seconds but it wakes up. But then the sound has problems, its as if it wasnt correctly mounted orsmth. You can hear sound but it is heavily distorted and goes off and on randomly.

How do i check if im running in 32 or 64?

Still new to this interface...

M

Ah ill change that, didn't see it.

But i actually didn't do anything different from your guidelines. It normally goes to sleep when i hit the sleep button in the menu bar and it wakes up pretty fast, sometimes it takes a few more seconds but it wakes up. But then the sound has problems, its as if it wasnt correctly mounted orsmth. You can hear sound but it is heavily distorted and goes off and on randomly.

How do i check if im running in 32 or 64?

Still new to this interface...

M

My method defaults to 32 bit. Things aren't going to work any better in 64 bit mode, and the ethernet kext definitely doesn't work in 64 bit mode, so wouldn't change it.

after 6x reinstall, my dual boot SL & W7 are working.

I am not familiar with the booting process, but this is what I did:

1) Install SL with 2 partitions

2) Install Windows XP

3) OSX was not recognized when the computer starts. I started the computer with Leppy's CD and selected SL partition from Chameleon's menu. When SL started, I executed the following commands from Terminal to make SL partition active.

• sudo ��"s
  • fdisk ��"e /dev/rdisk0
  • p
  • f 2 (I think that 2 is SL and 3 is XP.)
  • w
  • q

4) I increased the timeout by changing the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to read like this:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>30</string> - Initially, it was 1 second.

5) Restated the computer

6) When Chameleon icon shows up, I hit Enter Key.

7) Choose SL or Windows from the selection.

In order to make XP as the default OS, I executed the same commands above from SL Terminal (this time, f 3 instead of f 2). When it was restarted, it went to XP directly. I copied chain0 in C:\ and added c:\chain0="Mac Partition Name" in boot.ini file.

As I said, it takes forever (more than a minute) to display My Computer or browse the folder when I tried to save the file. I couldn't find the solution yet. I am installing Windows 7 to see if it fixes it.

after 6x reinstall, my dual boot SL & W7 are working.

Hi jb77,

Can you tell me how you made them work? I decided to go back to XP due to some incompatibility in W7, but I couldn't make SL and W7 shown as selectable OS's. Thanks.

btw try to image that to a separate drive .. then image partition to partition.

( i think ghost is messing with partition info "extended"=bad for xp.. due to GUID in same disk, primary=good for xp in first section of disk) < i use ubcd4win and driveimagexml :(

Any further help and details you could provide with this would be msot appreciated. I still can not get this done using either a ghost image or a drive copy from Norton Ghost 14.

When I set up the hard drive and partition it using OSX, I set it up as a 3 partition drive. The first is 50GB and is MacOS Journaled (for my OSX), the second is 50GB and is FAT (for my WINXP), the final is 150GB and is FAT (for my data). But when OSX is done I actually end up with 5 partitions. The first is 200MB and I am guessing has something to do with booting or Chameleon or something. The second is 46.67GB for OSX. The third is actually 129MB of unallocated space. The fourth is 46.67GB for WINXP. The fifth and final is about 139GB for my data.

The WINXP drive I am trying to copy is 48.88GB, so I do not know if that is my problem. Whether I copy or restore I can not change the size of the image to match the partition made by OSX. Again, any help with this would be most appreciated.

No matter what I do I keep getting a hal.dll error. In OSX, WINXP is partition 3, but in WIndows, I believe it is tecnically partition 4. Although I just thought about this again. In WINXP the boot.ini file is set to rdisk0. But when setting the active partition using terminal I have to work with disk1 I believe. I am going to transfer hard drives one more time and see if I can change the drive number and partition number and see if this thing will work.

Wish me luck. But again, any help that anyone can help me with would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Nevermind. I just went back and looked and OSX does see it as disk0. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thank you.