[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

You could simply make a 3rd plist like .32plist and .64plist but with the string/removed graphicsenabler and then an option in postinstall and rebuild scripts to use that one.

If I add the string to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, do I need to remove the following from the file?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Thanks.

@mac-es

- Keyboard is detected, but some specific keys, e.g. "@" symbol do not work (AltGr + Q terminates the app instead); heard that it's possible to create own keyboard layouts w/ Ukelele -> does anyone have a keyboard layout where "@" and other "special" symbols do work?

If you mean the microsoft british keyboard layout I have attach a DMG that should help. did for me.

Thanks, any idea where to get one for german keyboard layout?

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

• Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi
  • Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

Add Dell Inspiron 640m to this list; tried the rest, retail's the best! Used the SL ISO, and 'It Just Worked' . No display sleep problems like with the others I tried. Bought a Full Retail SL, got the one ISO, and Just Worked (well, at least those things that should work... Wifi not one of them, of course). This 640m has a GMA950, too. Sound just worked.

Many thanks!

got sleep error with my d420 on snow leopard. Would fail to shut down to sleep mode, could not get to test if it would come out of sleep but I did manage to have it working in ideneb 10.5.6

Yes I have the bios password setup and wake USB disabled.

Also noticed the power source was always set to power supply and never battery.

Anyone got any ideas?

You could simply make a 3rd plist like .32plist and .64plist but with the string/removed graphicsenabler and then an option in postinstall and rebuild scripts to use that one.

That's what I had decided, and it's already done! I'd like to get a string for D630/D820/D830 Nvidia, too. I have a D630 to test on - we'll need some Nvidia D820 and D830 owners to test strings on their machines. Since the files are so small, it's just easier doing it that way than writing a script to actually write out the file based on user input.

The rest of everyone else seems to be falling into the GMA950 realm, where what works for Desktop GMA950s just doesn't seem to for a lot of the laptop GMA950s. The good news is that at least with SL, we still have QI/QE and I haven't noticed anywhere near the level of artifact issues I had in Leo. But so far, no working EFI or dsdt for D620 GMA950 for the built in display.

I am posting this with Safari on a XP Virtualbox virtual machine running on Snow Leopard in 32-bit more on my D620 w/Nividia. Nice.

Safari cures the noise I was getting with Firefox and IE. It also seems to be shutting off the adware/trojans I was picking up on this board with Firefox/IE under windows.

I wish whoever is doing those javascript browser hijack traps would grow up.

Marvell 80E8055: got it work with the drivers from iPC 10.5.6 and the following modification:

- cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents

- edit Info.plist

- find <key>Yukon-88E8055</key> and delete all

- change <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to <key>Yukon-88E8055</key>

- change <string>0x436211ab</string> to <string>0x436311ab</string>

- change <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> to <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper SA</string>

Stuttering is much better w/ cpus=1, but not perfect. What about the bios settings:

- SpeedStep enable or disable?

- XP bit (or something like this) setting enable or disable?

If somebody has Microsoft Keyboard Layout German, please post it! Any experience with DoubleCommand?

Is it possible to remove or replace the Dell logo of the Chameleon boot loader?

Concerning wrong display of memory speed (333 MHz instead of 667 MHz): think I have to use a custom smbios.plist, don't I? Does it impact performance or is it just a cosmetic change?

Thanks again!

Yeah, Snow Leopard is up and running! :) I booted up from original SL retail disc and everything went fine. First time I forgot to erase disc and was installing SL over old Leopard. Install was ok, but after it SL didn't start. Then erased partition, install again - and whoalaa, I have SL! :)

But not everything is so great... :( Airport don't work. I have Broadcom card inside of my D620, Intel card is removed. This card worked fine with 10.5.6 and 10.5.7, but had problems after I updated to 10.5.8. And in SL there is the same problem - can't get Airport On. When I open System Profiler, I see my "en0: Third-Party Wireless card" under Network/Airport. Tried to remove Airport from Network Preferences and then add it - no changes.

If I add the string to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, do I need to remove the following from the file?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Thanks.

Indeed, and make sure you have <key>device-properties</key> right before <string>"gfx-efi-string-here"</string>

Edit: I've attached the plist from /Extra to make it easier. PLEASE NOTE IT'S x86_64

Does anyone want to get their hands dirty and try a to hex edit AppleBCM5701.kext 64bit to work with the broadcom 5752 (vendorid:14e4, deviceid:1600) and possibly other BCM cards? Apple removed AppleBCM5751.kext so I don't even know if this modification is even possible.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Yes. This is from memory, but I think you can replace /Extra/Themes/Default/logo.png with whatever you like.

Thanks, that worked.

In System Profiler my CPU is recognized as a Core 2 Duo, but I have a Core Duo. Might this be the reason why my system is stuttering? How can I correct this setting?

Might AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.kext from myHack solve the mouse lag / stuttering problem or will it destroy my system?

Concerning the keyboard layout: I installed the IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro 7.01 driver from Apple but nothing changed for my keyboard. How do I assign the driver to my keyboard?

Thanks, that worked.

In System Profiler my CPU is recognized as a Core 2 Duo, but I have a Core Duo. Might this be the reason why my system is stuttering? How can I correct this setting?

Might AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.kext from myHack solve the mouse lag / stuttering problem or will it destroy my system?

Concerning the keyboard layout: I installed the IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro 7.01 driver from Apple but nothing changed for my keyboard. How do I assign the driver to my keyboard?

I doubt that will solve your mouse lag since it is for itunes/qt lag specific, but it probably won't screw your system.

The sleepenabler.kext on that site does work btw! 32bit and 64bit; http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensio...nabler.kext.zip

Edit: scrap that, it lags my system completely after waking up. Can someone else confirm?

OS X 10.5.6 Retail Installation Procedure for

Latitude D620 with GMA950 graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Thanks for the great guide!

I have a D620, but the BIOS does not allow for switching into AHCI mode. Can I install MacOS without going into AHCI? I could not on my desktop (see sig below).

D620 Specs

XP SP3

Core2duo @ 2.16 ghz

2 GB RAM

nVidia Quadro NVS 110M graphics

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

I've installed Kalyway, Retail Leopard, and Snow Leopard on the desktop below.

I have a D620, but the BIOS does not allow for switching into AHCI mode. Can I install MacOS without going into AHCI?

Yes, you can install Mac OS X using one of my methods. Your wifi card isn't compatible though. Some dvd readers are having some difficulty reading the Snow Leopard DVD.

There are other methods for Leopard too, but I found them more difficult to get installed which is why I rolled my own.

Thanks, that worked.

Feel free to experiment. If you stick to adding/removing kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then running rebuild_mkext it will be hard to make an error you can't recover from using the Install/Boot CD.

I like all the feedback I've been getting because other eyes help me fix my errors faster and because I can't possibly test everything for every application. So as you find solutions, please post them for others and if it's something practical to include in another release without modification to anything outside of /Extra, then I'll include it and give credit.

The /Extra/rebuild_mkext script makes adding and removing kexts in /Extra/extensions about as easy as anything I've seen so far. Easier even than adding them to /s/l/e and fooling with stuff that way.

I doubt that will solve your mouse lag since it is for itunes/qt lag specific, but it probably won't screw your system.

The sleepenabler.kext on that site does work btw! 32bit and 64bit; http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensio...nabler.kext.zip

Edit: scrap that, it lags my system completely after waking up. Can someone else confirm?

I've read up on nearly every sleep solution out there and tried everything short of very customized dsdt.aml for the Nvidia D620. So far, nothing has worked.

I still think the answer lies in dsdt.aml, which solved many problems on my Atom 330 desktop. That now works flawlessly; it's just too bad it's such a slug for video playback.

I have a D620, but the BIOS does not allow for switching into AHCI mode. Can I install MacOS without going into AHCI? I could not on my desktop (see sig below).

D620 Specs

XP SP3

Core2duo @ 2.16 ghz

2 GB RAM

nVidia Quadro NVS 110M graphics

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

I've installed Kalyway, Retail Leopard, and Snow Leopard on the desktop below.

Yes, however note that the 3945abg is not supported (currently a semi-working beta kext exists but only allows for connection to non-secured AP's) and as you might have read the BCM57xx (5752 I assume) isn't supported with 64bit (the 10.5 leopard kext works for 32bit tho).

You could however try to get a dell 1390 wifi card or some other supported from ebay for very little.

it will be hard to make an error you can't recover from using the Install/Boot CD.

Indeed, yesterday I fixed my desktop install with your bootcd, I was testing some sleep stuff and had to hard reset which had me hanging with a grey screen; Bootcd, revert, reboot, fixed. :D

I've read up on nearly every sleep solution out there and tried everything short of very customized dsdt.aml for the Nvidia D620. So far, nothing has worked.

I still think the answer lies in dsdt.aml, which solved many problems on my Atom 330 desktop. That now works flawlessly; it's just too bad it's such a slug for video playback.

I was hoping to find a solution other than hacking the dsdt since I know nearly nothing about it but I think you are right. What do you mean by slug? I'm planning on buying a Asrock ion 330 and put osx on it with osxbmc.

What do you mean by slug? I'm planning on buying a Asrock ion 330 and put osx on it with osxbmc.

I mean the Atom 330 on my board has to have hyperthreading disabled and it's just not a fast CPU. Between that and the GMA950 chipset, is not a very good at playing back hi-res video. The ion chipset should be a boatload better.

Okay. I got a Broadcom wifi card and OSX recognized it. I installed OSX and install didn't finish the first time. The screen went black and I started from scratch. I then tried again and got it installed and booted up and for some reason I ran the Leopard post install rather than the Snow Leopard post install and hosed it. I will try again tonight.

I do have one small problem though. The Broadcom wifi card is not recognized in Windows and it can not be found through Windows. Any help with XP drivers would be most appreciated. Thanks.

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

• Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi
  • Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

Working Hardware Accelerated Vid (32-bit only for Intel Graphics)

Working Ethernet (32-bit only)

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart (D620 Only)

Working Dual Core Support (All) without patched kernels

rebuild_mkext - Easy to customize - add/remove kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then double click rebuild_mkext.command in /Extra to rebuild custom boot cache without impact to /s/l/e. (Do this carefully at your own risk!)

Allows rebuilding of /Extra/Extensions.mkext in 64 bit mode. (Experimental - Nvidia ONLY)

10.6.1 Update works with no issues

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.6.1 Retail DVD

3. Notes

4. Bugs/Issues

5. Change log

6. Grandiose Plans

7. Begging for feedback (not money)

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D420/D620/D820 with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia Graphics with DVD read capability.

* Dell D630 (Nvidia Graphics ONLY) with DVD read capability.

* Similar hardware configurations may work, but are untested.

Software:

* OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from D620SLV1.iso

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

If desired, download and install the 10.6.1 updates from software updates in OS X.

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after post install without modification to retail installation. However, the drivers used are only 32 bit compatible. Intel

2. 10.6.1 update presented no issues that needed to be address in my experience.

3. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

4. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. The kexts used for this installation are the same ones that resulted in minor video artifacts on my GMA950 machine on 10.5.x. However, I haven't seen any artifacts yet with Snow Leopard.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration on my 1440x900 machines Please don't ask why you aren't getting resolutions your particular machine does not support.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as Barack Obama winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Change log

Initial Snow Leopard Release

Plans

- Scripted builds for a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes. (And possibly other compatible hardware)

- Better video solutions for this craptastic GMA950 video chip.

- Scripted EFI partition support.

Feedback, please and Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier.

Voodoo Labs provides kexts that load without modification of the /s/l/e path, including kexts for running the vanilla SL kernel un-patched without skipping or jumping, sound, ps2 device and trackpad support and even a kext to get the battery meter working. They provide Chameleon, the boot loader, which not only allows us to boot Snow Leopard, but also auto-detects and sets up Nvidia graphics well enough to support hardware accelerated video with no additional kexts. I don't want to think of how difficult a project like this would be without their talented hard work.

And AlexD, thanks for the direction to the ethernet kext I was looking so hard for.

And thanks to everyone who has posted any attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy

10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

You are a genius after several other boot / tips atempts my system is rocking:

Dell Lattitude D630

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2,5Ghz

2GB DRAM

160GB 7.200 RPM SATA

14.1" WXGA+

Dell TrueMobile Bluetooth

Intel Wireless LAN

Intel Wireless LAn

Nvidia Quadro NVS135M

Everything works according to your steps (I had to only install the Network kext after moving it to kext utility, and yeah the Intel wireless does not work and after all did a Repair permissions via Disk Utility).

With kind regards,

Steve

..... and after all did a Repair permissions via Disk Utility).

With kind regards,

Steve

I'm glad things are working out for you overall. There is normally no need to repair permissions via disk utility (or other utilities) since we don't modify anything Apple normally installs. We do add the boot loader and everything contained in /Extra. My scripts set required permissions on /Extra when they run.

Okay. I got a Broadcom wifi card and OSX recognized it. I installed OSX and install didn't finish the first time. The screen went black and I started from scratch. I then tried again and got it installed and booted up and for some reason I ran the Leopard post install rather than the Snow Leopard post install and hosed it. I will try again tonight.

I do have one small problem though. The Broadcom wifi card is not recognized in Windows and it can not be found through Windows. Any help with XP drivers would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. If you run the SL post install, it will clean up(delete) the leopard post install and install the correct one. You should be able to boot with the SL boot CD and pick your SL disk to boot.

Dell has windows drivers for the Broadcom Wifi cards, just go to the support site and look up drivers for the D620. If you have a D620/630/820/830 there are a couple slots for these cards; one for wifi and another for mobil data cards (3g & whatever). You can keep the Intel card and install the Broadcom as well if that slot is unused, like most are.

Thanks for the amazing guide, been away for a few weeks and came back to this!!

I have a d620:

GMA950

BCM Wifi

Dual Core 1.67

BIOS A07 (I think!)

I have sleep working... not sure if everyone else does too or not. I installed as per your guide, installed AppleACPIThermal.kext, VoodooPower.kext and sleepenabler as mentioned by Synaesthesia and an old AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext that I seem to have to use on every Leopard install I have ever tried for sleep to work correctly and as he mentioned the VoodooHDA.kext is not loaded correctly on wake from sleep causing distorted sound (manual unload and load fixes this) BUT TSCSync IS loaded correctly so I have both of my cores working with no stuttering after waking from sleep! The only difference seems to be the framebuffer kext that I use. I have not tested without it in this situation yet and have not updated to 10.6.1 either but thought I would share this info anyway. I can post the kext later today if anyone is interested.

From another forum I got the hint to recompile dsdl.aml using the -newHPET switch to get rid of cpu stuttering. So, is the boot cd using dsdl.aml (and should I recompile it using the dsdt patcher)?

No - that's the glitch about using dsdt - it really needs to be generated specifically for the machine it's running on. I can't provide one that will be reliable for everyone else, so the bootcd will never have one unless there's a lightswitch moment I am not anticipating.

Things like memory brand, amount, bios, hardware configurations, motherboard series, displays all differ even on the same model laptop, and because of that, using dsdt from another machine can foul things up more than they help. For example, there's a thread out there about a "perfect" D630 with Intel x3100 graphics using a dsdt.aml. I tried the package, and it didn't work on my D630 with Intel graphics. In fact, I didn't even get to the desktop. Upon reading further, he still had minor issues, so I moved on.

Where I was successful with DSDT was on my Atom 330 board, when I stripped out every kext I didn't have to have in order to generate it and run the patcher. This means no sounds, basic vid - as little as possible clouding the function of the dsdt read from bios. Then you can see where you are and apply appropriate fixes from there. It's a process, it requires some time and patience. So far, dsdt hasn't been the magic pill because even while when it's right, it's really good, it's just such a royal pain to get right with most hardware.

My best hope for dsdt is that we can provide a procedure, not a dsdt.aml, that everyone can use and benefit from for the D series laptops. Even if successful, mileage will vary on other machines.

Thanks for the amazing guide, been away for a few weeks and came back to this!!

I have a d620:

GMA950

BCM Wifi

Dual Core 1.67

BIOS A07 (I think!)

I have sleep working... not sure if everyone else does too or not. I installed as per your guide, installed AppleACPIThermal.kext, VoodooPower.kext and sleepenabler as mentioned by Synaesthesia and an old AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext that I seem to have to use on every Leopard install I have ever tried for sleep to work correctly and as he mentioned the VoodooHDA.kext is not loaded correctly on wake from sleep causing distorted sound (manual unload and load fixes this) BUT TSCSync IS loaded correctly so I have both of my cores working with no stuttering after waking from sleep! The only difference seems to be the framebuffer kext that I use. I have not tested without it in this situation yet and have not updated to 10.6.1 either but thought I would share this info anyway. I can post the kext later today if anyone is interested.

Interesting - not just display sleep, but blinking power indicator sleep resumes? Are you getting any video artifacts whatsoever? (At this point, I am not).

Let's see that FB kext!

Interesting - not just display sleep, but blinking power indicator sleep resumes? Are you getting any video artifacts whatsoever? (At this point, I am not).

Let's see that FB kext!

Yep, proper full blown power LED blinking sleep! I hadn't noticed any artifacts until I installed an application (think it was toast or popcorn) and then I got some. So Yes to that question but for me it is more than acceptable as I have always used this fb kext and always had artifacts in Leopard anyway.

Here you go

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip