[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Well I tried the UBCD4WIN and DriveImageXML method and ended up with the same result. Hal.dll error. I then looked at the boot.ini file and found it was pointing to Partition1, I changed it to Partition3. Got the same result. This is getting frustrating. I can not get this to work. I don't know if it is something to do with some security or something that is installed within the XP partition of my work computer. I really don't know what it is going to take. I am open to any suggestions. I am sorry to be such a nuisance to this thread.

I can tell you that the SL partition has worked on the computer flawlessly. Every time I have reinstalled (about 15 times at this point). I have not had a single problem with OSX on this computer, which is what has kept me going on this project. I just need to find a way to load the XP back onto the machine so that it is functional for work and the OSX would be nice for personal use.

I will keep searching and working and I will report back with what I find.

try -x (safe mode) with the boot CD. If that doesn't work, try -s (single user mode). that will get to to the unix command line where you could delete /Extra.

rm -R /Extra

Then reboot again with the boot CD and start over with the post install.

Used the boot cd to start the OS Installation. In Utilities there is a terminal where you can access the OS drive and delete the non-working .kexts.

For Marvell 80E8055 there is a better solution. I changed Info.plist of IONetworkingFamily.kext found in /Extra/Extensions:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x436311ab</string>

<key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key>

<string>0xYYYYYYYY</string> <-------- HERE YYYYYYYY = SubSys ID of your Marvell Card (from Windows Control Panel)

Still looking for a solution concerning the mouse lags / cpu stuttering...

Well I tried the UBCD4WIN and DriveImageXML method and ended up with the same result. Hal.dll error. I then looked at the boot.ini file and found it was pointing to Partition1, I changed it to Partition3. Got the same result. This is getting frustrating. I can not get this to work. I don't know if it is something to do with some security or something that is installed within the XP partition of my work computer. I really don't know what it is going to take. I am open to any suggestions. I am sorry to be such a nuisance to this thread.

I can tell you that the SL partition has worked on the computer flawlessly. Every time I have reinstalled (about 15 times at this point). I have not had a single problem with OSX on this computer, which is what has kept me going on this project. I just need to find a way to load the XP back onto the machine so that it is functional for work and the OSX would be nice for personal use.

I will keep searching and working and I will report back with what I find.

The hal.dll error is because your boot.ini file is not set right for your new partitioning.

In OS X, open terminal and run diskutil list. Then post the output here.

Also, post your boot.ini from the XP installation.

Used the boot cd to start the OS Installation. In Utilities there is a terminal where you can access the OS drive and delete the non-working .kexts.

For Marvell 80E8055 there is a better solution. I changed Info.plist of IONetworkingFamily.kext found in /Extra/Extensions:

Still looking for a solution concerning the mouse lags / cpu stuttering...

I'm glad you got your kext situation sorted out, and that's a good way to get back to terminal.

For jittery mouse, if voodooTSCsync.kext isn't working for you, remove it and run rebuild_mkext.command. Then

update /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist so that the line below kernel flags looks like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 cpus=1</string>

If that works, then update your /Extra/.32plist to look like your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

I was ready to build my own box, after much frustration trying to get multiple machines working, until I stumbled across this guide - happy to report that my D820 w/NVidia is working great on 10.6.1. Thanks!!

You're welcome! Thanks for the feedback.

The hal.dll error is because your boot.ini file is not set right for your new partitioning.

In OS X, open terminal and run diskutil list. Then post the output here.

Also, post your boot.ini from the XP installation.

Again, sorry to be a nuisance. Below is the output of the diskutil command in OSX and I have attached my boot.ini file. Thanks in advance. Please note, that once you help me with the boot.ini file I will repartition and reinstall both OSes to use 50GB each for each OS.

0 - GUID_partition_scheme - - *250GB - disk0

1 - EFI - - 209MB - disk0s1

2 - Apple_HFS - OSX - 55GB - disk0s2

3 - Microsoft Basic Data - WINXP - 55GB - disk0s3

4 - Microsoft Basic Data - DOCUMENTS - 140GB - disk0s4

boot.ini.txt

Again, sorry to be a nuisance. Below is the output of the diskutil command in OSX and I have attached my boot.ini file. Thanks in advance. Please note, that once you help me with the boot.ini file I will repartition and reinstall both OSes to use 50GB each for each OS.

Okay, that should be correct.

How was the WINXP partition formatted?

Next, from OS X GUI, GO > Utilities > Disk Utility

Select the Windows XP partition. toward the bottom of the page it should say Format: Windows NT File System (NTFS)

I have noticed that if I use Ghost to restore an NTFS partition to a FAT partition, it just restores the files to the existing FAT partition. That's a problem. Before doing your restore, make sure the partition is formatted NTFS. This mean whatever you are using for the restore must be able to support and format a filesystem NTFS. Most WINPE disks I have seen can do this.

I haven't had this problem when installing WINXP after OS X because when I install, I let the install program format the existing target partition NTFS. But when I restore an image with ghost, I need to reformat FAT to NTFS with the WinPE command line before I start ghost.

Okay, that should be correct.

How was the WINXP partition formatted?

Next, from OS X GUI, GO > Utilities > Disk Utility

Select the Windows XP partition. toward the bottom of the page it should say Format: Windows NT File System (NTFS)

I have noticed that if I use Ghost to restore an NTFS partition to a FAT partition, it just restores the files to the existing FAT partition. That's a problem. Before doing your restore, make sure the partition is formatted NTFS. This mean whatever you are using for the restore must be able to support and format a filesystem NTFS. Most WINPE disks I have seen can do this.

I haven't had this problem when installing WINXP after OS X because when I install, I let the install program format the existing target partition NTFS. But when I restore an image with ghost, I need to reformat FAT to NTFS with the WinPE command line before I start ghost.

I had thought of that myself. However, I have tried reformatting to NTFS in WINXP. What I did is I built the GUID Partition table and installed OSX to the first partition. Then I pulled the hd out and put it in an adapter so that I could see the hd through my working WINXP install. Then I format the WINXP partition to NTFS and then copy the drive from the working hd to the dual-boot hd. I will try by formatting to NTFS in OSX. I didn't realize that was an option since I did not see it when creating the partitions. I will try and report back.

So, the boot.ini file was correct for what I am trying to do with the updated partition number?

OS X 10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) Retail Installation Procedure

Tested:

• Latitude D620/D820/D420 with GMA950 Graphics and Broadcom Wifi
  • Latitude D620/D630 with NVIDIA Graphics and Broadcom Wifi

Will probably work on ANY D series Latitude with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia graphics and Intel dual core processor

Working Hardware Accelerated Vid (32-bit only for Intel Graphics)

Working Ethernet (32-bit only)

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart (D620 Only)

Working Dual Core Support (All) without patched kernels

rebuild_mkext - Easy to customize - add/remove kexts to /Extra/Extensions and then double click rebuild_mkext.command in /Extra to rebuild custom boot cache without impact to /s/l/e. (Do this carefully at your own risk!)

Allows rebuilding of /Extra/Extensions.mkext in 64 bit mode. (Experimental - Nvidia ONLY)

10.6.1 Update works with no issues

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.6.1 Retail DVD

3. Notes

4. Bugs/Issues

5. Change log

6. Grandiose Plans

7. Begging for feedback (not money)

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D420/D620/D820 with Intel GMA950 or Nvidia Graphics with DVD read capability.

* Dell D630 (Nvidia Graphics ONLY) with DVD read capability.

* Similar hardware configurations may work, but are untested.

Software:

* OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from D620SLV1.iso

Installation of OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from D620SLV1.iso cd image. No flags required.

- When Chameleon boot menu appears, eject the boot CD

- Insert OS X 10.6.0 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit F5. You may have to retry F5 a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

- Select OSX Install from the Chameleon menu once it appears.

2. Follow installation prompt:.

- Before installing, make sure to start the DISK UTILITY (from go>utilities) to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. IMPORTANT: In order for the automated Chameleon install to work during the post install, you must install on the FIRST partition of the FIRST drive. If you have a bunch of drives installed and don't know how to get this done, then I suggest you remove other drives during the installation and post install procedure.

- Suggestion: After partitioning, and at customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default). This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster.

Note: At installation completion, OS X may say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert D620SLV1 boot CD and Reboot. Select your new installation partition from the Chameleon menu and boot.

10.6.0 Post Installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after your first boot up, do the following:

1. Open the boot CD.

2. Double click on post_install.cmd.

3. Follow the simple prompts.

4. When the job completes, reboot.

If desired, download and install the 10.6.1 updates from software updates in OS X.

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after post install without modification to retail installation. However, the drivers used are only 32 bit compatible. Intel

2. 10.6.1 update presented no issues that needed to be address in my experience.

3. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

4. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. The kexts used for this installation are the same ones that resulted in minor video artifacts on my GMA950 machine on 10.5.x. However, I haven't seen any artifacts yet with Snow Leopard.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration on my 1440x900 machines Please don't ask why you aren't getting resolutions your particular machine does not support.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as Barack Obama winning a Nobel Peace Prize.

Change log

Initial Snow Leopard Release

Plans

- Scripted builds for a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes. (And possibly other compatible hardware)

- Better video solutions for this craptastic GMA950 video chip.

- Scripted EFI partition support.

Feedback, please and Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier.

Voodoo Labs provides kexts that load without modification of the /s/l/e path, including kexts for running the vanilla SL kernel un-patched without skipping or jumping, sound, ps2 device and trackpad support and even a kext to get the battery meter working. They provide Chameleon, the boot loader, which not only allows us to boot Snow Leopard, but also auto-detects and sets up Nvidia graphics well enough to support hardware accelerated video with no additional kexts. I don't want to think of how difficult a project like this would be without their talented hard work.

And AlexD, thanks for the direction to the ethernet kext I was looking so hard for.

And thanks to everyone who has posted any attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy

10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

Leppy,

I have a D630 with the nVidia card and would like to get Snow Leopard installed. Your guide looks great but, I cannot download the D620SLV1.iso. When I click on it, it takes me to MediaShare but I then get an error. Is there some other place I can download it from? Thanks -

I had thought of that myself. However, I have tried reformatting to NTFS in WINXP. What I did is I built the GUID Partition table and installed OSX to the first partition. Then I pulled the hd out and put it in an adapter so that I could see the hd through my working WINXP install. Then I format the WINXP partition to NTFS and then copy the drive from the working hd to the dual-boot hd. I will try by formatting to NTFS in OSX. I didn't realize that was an option since I did not see it when creating the partitions. I will try and report back.

So, the boot.ini file was correct for what I am trying to do with the updated partition number?

Yes, the boot.ini file is correct. i don't think you can make an NTFS partition in OS X.

Well I went back and looked in OSX. And saw NO option to format a partition as NTFS. I will have to look further.

You have to do that from XP - either as you were with an external enclosure or via the command line from a Win PE CD. Once you have that partition reformatted as NTFS, you should be able to do a ghost restore. Make sure you are not trying to ghost image the same partition you are actively using as your OS.

Leppy,

I have a D630 with the nVidia card and would like to get Snow Leopard installed. Your guide looks great but, I cannot download the D620SLV1.iso. When I click on it, it takes me to MediaShare but I then get an error. Is there some other place I can download it from? Thanks -

That link seems to be working now. Mediafire is a nice resource for free, but it's not perfect.

Hello,

I have a D620 and I am trying to make this work but the links are not working. They take me to the Mediafire homepage.

BOOT-132-D620v2.ISO

Update: 10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

OS X 10.5.6 Retail Installation Procedure for

Latitude D620 with GMA950 graphics and Broadcom Wifi

**** Shameless AD Begin

Working Vid

Working Ethernet

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart

Working Dual Core Support

10.5.7 Update works

10.5.8 Update works with wifi caveat - see notes.

No fuss, no muss, no cuss, most stuff just works.

No fooling with boot parameters, no fooling with kexts - that's all done.

**** Shameless AD End

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

3. 10.5.6 Post installation

4. 10.5.7 update (recommended)

5. 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

6. Notes

7. Bugs/Issues

8. Change log

9. Grandiose Plans

10. Begging for feedback (not money)

11. Link to boot CD image

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Graphics with DVD read capability.

Software:

* OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from BOOT-132-D620v2.iso

Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from BOOT-132-D620.iso cd image. No flags required.

- At F8 prompt, press F8.

- At the next prompt (displays "BOOT-132-D620v2.iso), hit escape.

- Insert OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit ENTER. You may have to retry F8 then Esc a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

2. Follow installation prompts to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. **** Suggestion **** At customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default) and only select the printer drivers you will use. This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster. *** At installation completion, OS X will say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert BOOT-132-D620v2 boot CD and Reboot. Press F8 at the F8 prompt, then hit Escape and enter 80 (or the HD number you installed on).

10.5.6 post installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after boot up, do the following:

1. Open the post_install folder on the boot CD.

2. Install the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg using all of the defaults. This is the easiest way.

3. Open terminal and copy and paste the following command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Volumes/BOOT-132-D620v2/post_install/Extra/56/post_install_1056

10.5.7 update (recommended)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/57/1057_update

2. Download and install 10.5.7 delta or 10.5.7 combo update (10.5.7 update only)

3. When the when 10.5.7 completes, reboot

Prior to 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

1. Open terminal and copy and paste this command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Extra/58/1058_update

2. Download and install 10.5.8 delta or 10.5.8 combo update

3. When the 10.5.8 update completes, reboot

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after 10.5.6 post install without modification to retail installation.

2. After 10.5.7 update is complete, everything should be working (with dual core support) just as they were in 10.5.6. The 10.5.7 update is recommended.

3. After applying 10.5.8 update, Broadcom wifi (Airport) may be broken. I've added a fix to update scripts, but they may or may not work for you. I've included the 2 kexts from 10.5.7 to replace those from the 10.5.8 update that are supposed to be the root of Evil Airport Update. If anyone needs to apply them, they are in the /extra/58 directory.

4. 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 share a GMA950 video update that breaks a 10.5.6 installation. If you apply the pre-patch for 10.5.7 without successfully applying the 10.5.7 update your video will be severely broken, and vice-versa. *** FIX: By booting into single user mode (boot flag -s at the Chameleon startup menu) you can restart the environment updates from the beginning starting with /Extra/56/post_install_1056, then /Extra/57/1057_update for 10.5.7 and so on. If the directions are followed and the environments are set up correctly, each update should go smoothly. This is basically because the Intel GMA950 hardware is {censored} and no one seems to know how to implement it in a correct and consistent manner without artifacts. Please don't send me another EFI string generated by OSX86 tools. Been there, done that and the t-shirt makes me look like a dork.

5. Instead of placing a bunch of kexts that do not seem to want to load correctly in the /Extra/Extensions folder, I built them into extensions.mkext files - one for each distribution. I've found this to be far more reliable way to get Chameleon to load appropriate kexts.

6. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

7. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

1. If you set a system password in BIOS, your sleep may or may not work correctly. It is inconsistent at best here. There are various fixes available with all kinds of varying degrees of reported success, but I have opted not to apply any patches to the 'vanilla' installation itself for this project.

2. This installation results in minor video artifacting on my GMA950 machine. I'd like to fix it, but doing so may require a fix beyond the scope of Chameleon and EFI, and such a fix will be outside the scope of this project. Anyone with a fix I can load with from Chameleon is my new bestest friend in the whole wide world.

3. 10.5.8 airport? God knows what damage Apple's done here. There are threads all over the net on this topic. I **think** I've implemented a fix, but since this issue seems to vary from card to card, you'll have to check your own mileage.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as a politician blowing elephants on main street for a vote a herd.

Change log

v1 Original iso with more bugs than a 3 week dead beached whale in August.

v2 Dropped applehda patching. I hate slimy looking green critters.

v2 Started using voodoohda. This enables sound from the outset without adding or modifying anything in the system path. No green critters.

v2 Dropped former ps2 drivers. My cursor used to jump like a detoxing rock star, even with cpus=1 parameter.

v2 Implemented voodoops2 drivers. Provides smoother mouse operation and possibly allows for more control features to be added.

v2 Fixed kernel inconsistencies resulting in numerous malfunctions, including USB in 10.5.7 and 10.5.8. Oops, did I do that?

v2 Added Dual Core support for 10.5.7. and 10.5.8 updates.

v2 Attempted to fix Broadcom wifi issue in 10.5.8. Your mileage may vary.

v2 Sorted out video drivers compatible with each version, albeit with some artifacting.

v2 Got rid of the green lizard to make room for the Dell button. More green and for some reason, every time I booted I wanted to buy insurance.

v2 Added this somewhat long winded document.

Grandiose Plans

- Scripted builds for /Extra/Extensions.mkext based on a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes.

- Dual Core support for new kernels revisions as stable kernel patches become available.

Feedback, please

I have spent countless hours trying to get my D630 and D620 machines to boot various OS X distributions. None started simply and reliably. Out of that frustration I decided to roll my own. This method boots installation every time and the installations have been consistent, fast and reliable. Of course It'll probably work like {censored} on other hardware. I hope that others can benefit from the frustrations I've experienced in the process of learning and assembling this ISO distribution. Using this method, I can start from scratch and have a working system in a half hour. Updates are a few minutes each. Easy, breezy, almost sleezy simple.

Contributions, comments and test results from using this assembly are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier. And thanks to everyone who has posted any lame brained attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy700m

Here's my boot cd image:

BOOT-132-D620v2.ISO

Update: D620 Nvidia replaced with Post Installer D620 D820

Yes, the boot.ini file is correct. i don't think you can make an NTFS partition in OS X.

You have to do that from XP - either as you were with an external enclosure or via the command line from a Win PE CD. Once you have that partition reformatted as NTFS, you should be able to do a ghost restore. Make sure you are not trying to ghost image the same partition you are actively using as your OS.

That link seems to be working now. Mediafire is a nice resource for free, but it's not perfect.

Maybe I'm missing something then. I click on the link and it takes me to the MediaFire homepage and has a popup that says 'loading files'. But, it then it just reverts back to the homepage. I tried creating an account but, that didn't help either. Any ideas? Thanks -

I get the same thing. Can someone please reupload?

Maybe I'm missing something then. I click on the link and it takes me to the MediaFire homepage and has a popup that says 'loading files'. But, it then it just reverts back to the homepage. I tried creating an account but, that didn't help either. Any ideas? Thanks -

It worked thanks!!!

Install completed sucessfully but when i boot i get a grey apple sceen with the spinning wheel.

What can i do to fix this?

D620SLV1.iso

I don't have another place other than Mediafire, which seems to be a little flakey today. As of 1 minute ago, the links have been working for me even while logged out.

OK i Fixed the previous problem using -V CPUS=1 at the install. Now a new problem. It boots up fine, after the apple screen i see the blue desktop. Then it goes black and it starts playing the bootup music. And the screen stays black. What can i do? Sound like a video driver issue? How do i solve this?

OS X 10.5.6 Retail Installation Procedure for

Latitude D620 with GMA950 graphics and Broadcom Wifi

**** Shameless AD Begin

Working Vid

Working Ethernet

Working Wifi

Working Sound

Working Shutdown/Restart

Working Dual Core Support

10.5.7 Update works

10.5.8 Update works with wifi caveat - see notes.

No fuss, no muss, no cuss, most stuff just works.

No fooling with boot parameters, no fooling with kexts - that's all done.

**** Shameless AD End

Table of Contents:

1. Requirements

2. Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

3. 10.5.6 Post installation

4. 10.5.7 update (recommended)

5. 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

6. Notes

7. Bugs/Issues

8. Change log

9. Grandiose Plans

10. Begging for feedback (not money)

11. Link to boot CD image

Requirements

Hardware:

* Dell D620 with Intel GMA950 Graphics with DVD read capability.

Software:

* OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL install DVD. (Buy one - don't steal it)

* CD made from BOOT-132-D620v2.iso

Installation of OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD

1. Start computer with bootable CD made from BOOT-132-D620.iso cd image. No flags required.

- At F8 prompt, press F8.

- At the next prompt (displays "BOOT-132-D620v2.iso), hit escape.

- Insert OS X 10.5.6 RETAIL DVD ONLY. Wait for DVD Machine to read DVD and hit ENTER. You may have to retry F8 then Esc a few times until the OS X Installation DVD spools up and gets read.

2. Follow installation prompts to create a GUID HD partition and install OS X on the new partition. **** Suggestion **** At customize stage, de-select other language translations (other than default) and only select the printer drivers you will use. This will save about 2GB disk space and make installation and every backup thereafter 2 GB faster. *** At installation completion, OS X will say that installation failed because it was unable to mount the disk and prompt to reboot. This is normal and OS X is installed. I suspect that this is because I never selected a boot partition, but I never bothered to prove it out.

3. To run OS X for the first time, Reinsert BOOT-132-D620v2 boot CD and Reboot. Press F8 at the F8 prompt, then hit Escape and enter 80 (or the HD number you installed on).

10.5.6 post installation

You will want to boot from the hard drive and enable both cores. To do this, with the boot CD still in the drive after boot up, do the following:

1. Open the post_install folder on the boot CD.

2. Install the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg using all of the defaults. This is the easiest way.

3. Open terminal and copy and paste the following command, hit enter and provide your system password when prompted:

sudo sh /Volumes/BOOT-132-D620v2/post_install/Extra/56/post_install_1056

10.5.7 update (recommended)

sudo sh /Extra/57/1057_update

2. Download and install 10.5.7 delta or 10.5.7 combo update (10.5.7 update only)

3. When the when 10.5.7 completes, reboot

Prior to 10.5.8 update (see notes below)

sudo sh /Extra/58/1058_update

2. Download and install 10.5.8 delta or 10.5.8 combo update

3. When the 10.5.8 update completes, reboot

Notes

1. Dell D620 with GMA950 and Broadcom wireless should have hardware accelerated video, wifi, ethernet, sound, shutdown and reboot, and dual core support working after 10.5.6 post install without modification to retail installation.

2. After 10.5.7 update is complete, everything should be working (with dual core support) just as they were in 10.5.6. The 10.5.7 update is recommended.

3. After applying 10.5.8 update, Broadcom wifi (Airport) may be broken. I've added a fix to update scripts, but they may or may not work for you. I've included the 2 kexts from 10.5.7 to replace those from the 10.5.8 update that are supposed to be the root of Evil Airport Update. If anyone needs to apply them, they are in the /extra/58 directory.

4. 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 share a GMA950 video update that breaks a 10.5.6 installation. If you apply the pre-patch for 10.5.7 without successfully applying the 10.5.7 update your video will be severely broken, and vice-versa. *** FIX: By booting into single user mode (boot flag -s at the Chameleon startup menu) you can restart the environment updates from the beginning starting with /Extra/56/post_install_1056, then /Extra/57/1057_update for 10.5.7 and so on. If the directions are followed and the environments are set up correctly, each update should go smoothly. This is basically because the Intel GMA950 hardware is {censored} and no one seems to know how to implement it in a correct and consistent manner without artifacts. Please don't send me another EFI string generated by OSX86 tools. Been there, done that and the t-shirt makes me look like a dork.

5. Instead of placing a bunch of kexts that do not seem to want to load correctly in the /Extra/Extensions folder, I built them into extensions.mkext files - one for each distribution. I've found this to be far more reliable way to get Chameleon to load appropriate kexts.

6. I haven't addressed the PCI card slot. I have it disabled (I never use it). I can add it if there's a demand and a fix I can implement in Chameleon.

7. Intel wifi cards are not supported by OS X. It's all dandy & stuff if you've got yours working, but it's still not supported and I'm not smarter than the guys trying to fix that issue. In fact, I'm barely smart enough to keep myself from drooling on my foot.

Bugs/Issues

2. This installation results in minor video artifacting on my GMA950 machine. I'd like to fix it, but doing so may require a fix beyond the scope of Chameleon and EFI, and such a fix will be outside the scope of this project. Anyone with a fix I can load with from Chameleon is my new bestest friend in the whole wide world.

3. 10.5.8 airport? God knows what damage Apple's done here. There are threads all over the net on this topic. I **think** I've implemented a fix, but since this issue seems to vary from card to card, you'll have to check your own mileage.

4. The display is never properly detected and reported, but it works @ 1440 x 900 with full hardware acceleration.

5. If I plug the machine into a d/port with two monitors connected, it posts on one monitor and the OS X desktop loads on the other. Now that's almost as messed up as a politician blowing elephants on main street for a vote a herd.

Change log

v1 Original iso with more bugs than a 3 week dead beached whale in August.

v2 Dropped applehda patching. I hate slimy looking green critters.

v2 Started using voodoohda. This enables sound from the outset without adding or modifying anything in the system path. No green critters.

v2 Dropped former ps2 drivers. My cursor used to jump like a detoxing rock star, even with cpus=1 parameter.

v2 Implemented voodoops2 drivers. Provides smoother mouse operation and possibly allows for more control features to be added.

v2 Fixed kernel inconsistencies resulting in numerous malfunctions, including USB in 10.5.7 and 10.5.8. Oops, did I do that?

v2 Added Dual Core support for 10.5.7. and 10.5.8 updates.

v2 Attempted to fix Broadcom wifi issue in 10.5.8. Your mileage may vary.

v2 Sorted out video drivers compatible with each version, albeit with some artifacting.

v2 Got rid of the green lizard to make room for the Dell button. More green and for some reason, every time I booted I wanted to buy insurance.

v2 Added this somewhat long winded document.

Grandiose Plans

- Scripted builds for /Extra/Extensions.mkext based on a wider selection of hardware supporting both Nvidia and Intel graphics versions of D series Latitudes.

- Dual Core support for new kernels revisions as stable kernel patches become available.

Feedback, please

I have spent countless hours trying to get my D630 and D620 machines to boot various OS X distributions. None started simply and reliably. Out of that frustration I decided to roll my own. This method boots installation every time and the installations have been consistent, fast and reliable. Of course It'll probably work like {censored} on other hardware. I hope that others can benefit from the frustrations I've experienced in the process of learning and assembling this ISO distribution. Using this method, I can start from scratch and have a working system in a half hour. Updates are a few minutes each. Easy, breezy, almost sleezy simple.

Contributions, comments and test results from using this assembly are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks to the people at Voodoo Labs. Love your work, you are making things easier. And thanks to everyone who has posted any lame brained attempt to provide useful information at www.insanelymac.com or even farted in my direction. You've all contributed to the chaos which is part of the cosmic soup that nurtures and feeds inspiration. And if that's not a sign that I have rambled on too long now, nothing ever will be.

- leppy700m

Here's my boot cd image:

BOOT-132-D620v2.ISO

Update: D620 Nvidia replaced with Post Installer D620 D820

Guys, please try avoiding quotation of unnecessary stuff like the installation guide again and again, since it overloads the thread and makes it difficult to read, especially on mobile devices. Thanks!

Amen.

OK i Fixed the previous problem using -V CPUS=1 at the install. Now a new problem. It boots up fine, after the apple screen i see the blue desktop. Then it goes black and it starts playing the bootup music. And the screen stays black. What can i do? Sound like a video driver issue? How do i solve this?

What hardware are you installing on?

No, how do you do that? and what do i do when i get into SL?

It's in the procedure in the second post on page one of this thread. My sig links to it. Insert the cd and boot, at the chameleon prompt, select your snow leopard installation and boot. Once in SL, double click on post_install.command on the CD. Make sure you pick Intel and not Nvidia graphics. Assuming you installed per the procedure, once the post install has been completed, you can reboot without the CD.

Hi leppy700m !!!

Thank you very much for your work...you're the best, i have tried many other unworking solutions before trying your bootcd and now Snow Leopard is installing on my Lenovo X60s !

But in the BIOS my SATA setting is compatibility mode and not AHCI...because with the previous boot cd i tried i always had an error about AppleIntelPIIXATA caused by the secondary PCI IDE channel disabled.

(Here is a post about that issue : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609)

Sigmaris has posted a kext to solve this problem.

So my question is :

If i installed SL with the Bios setting "COMPATIBILITY MODE", is it possible to change it after installation complete in "AHCI MODE" by changing the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext ??

Thank you :D

Still no luck with the Ghost imaging. I even tried loading the UBCD4WIN CD and using DriveImageXML to get an image of the drive while it was not actively running the OS. I then restored that image to my other hd. The sizes are the same and the new partition was formatted as NTFS. So, for now I will continue to try to solve the Hal.dll issue. But I will have to swap hd's when wanting or needing to use the respective OSes. Not ideal, but it will work for now.

Thanks for all of the help and I will try to do more work on this and provide feedback. Thanks again. If anyone else has anything more to try please let me know.

Hi jb77,

Can you tell me how you made them work? I decided to go back to XP due to some incompatibility in W7, but I couldn't make SL and W7 shown as selectable OS's. Thanks.

annarbor,

im going to buy a new HD this weekend & try to install it again. but here's what i remember after trial n error

*install SL on 1st partition - follow leppy's guide

*install W7 on 2nd partition, REBOOT

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL)

* write

* quit

*RUN again the post_install.cmd from leppy's cd. "if i did not run the post install, after reboot ill get a blinking curser"

*REBOOT and make sure SL are ok.

*boot leppys cd

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 3 (W7)

* write

* quit

*REBOOT and select Windows 7 in Dual Boot

its going to ask you to repair your win7, just follow the instruction.

*reboot & boot to leppy's cd again.

* sudo -s

* fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* p

* flag 2 (SL)

* write

* quit

REBOOT again. i thinks thats it. i did not change any boot.ini