[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

I don't think the acceleration is working. DVD player reports an error "A valid video device could not be found for playback". Chess works okay, Front Row won't launch either.

I am running the latest Aperture version too 2.1.4 and it gives the graphics card error.

Okay, so QE graphics are not working on the D820. I downloaded Aperture 2.1.4 trial and it ran okay on the D620. Looks like there is some work to do for the D820/nvidia.

Let me know what I can do to help!

Try this:

* Open /Extra/Extensions and drag Natit.kext to the trash bucket.

* Double click on /Extra/rebuild_mkext.command

* Rebuild in 32 bit mode - (lets try to make this work before we worry about 64 bit mode)

* Reboot

Test and report back!

Yes, but if you don't install SL on your first partition, then your Chameleon install is less straightforward.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I am really impressed with your work.

I am new to Mac, but I learned a lot of things from your post.

Do you mind telling me how to make it dual-boot?

Thanks again.

Try this:

* Open /Extra/Extensions and drag Natit.kext to the trash bucket.

* Double click on /Extra/rebuild_mkext.command

* Rebuild in 32 bit mode - (lets try to make this work before we worry about 64 bit mode)

* Reboot

Test and report back!

Works great... shall I try 64 bit?

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I am really impressed with your work.

I am new to Mac, but I learned a lot of things from your post.

Do you mind telling me how to make it dual-boot?

Thanks again.

That's a loaded question because it depends on if you are trying to use an existing windows installation or if you are going to install both OS new.

If new I think this would work:

1. Install OS X on the first of two partitions with a GUID partition scheme. Do the post install from the CD, installing Chameleon and get it so that OS X boots on it's own. Copy boot0 from the root directory of your OS X drive to a fat 32 usb thumb drive (or email it to yourself or something like that).
  2. Install Windows XP on the second partition. Put the boot0 you copied from the root of the OS X drive to c:\
  3. Using the Windows disk management utility in Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, set your OSX partition active. When you reboot, Chameleon should allow you to boot either OSX or Windows XP

Edit: Nope, that doesn't work. I'l post something that does.

That's a loaded question because it depends on if you are trying to use an existing windows installation or if you are going to install both OS new.

If new I think this would work:

1. Install OS X on the first of two partitions with a GUID partition scheme. Do the post install from the CD, installing Chameleon and get it so that OS X boots on it's own. Copy boot0 from the root directory of your OS X drive to a fat 32 usb thumb drive (or email it to yourself or something like that).
  2. Install Windows XP on the second partition. Put the boot0 you copied from the root of the OS X drive to c:\
  3. Using the Windows disk management utility in Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, set your OSX partition active. When you reboot, Chameleon should allow you to boot either OSX or Windows XP

Edit: Nope, that doesn't work. I'l post something that does.

Another newbie question.

If I want to install Snow Leopard after I install Mac OS X 10.5.6 and XP in my D620 using your method, do both parts or only Mac part need to be re-installed? Thanks.

Dual boot - this works:

1. Partition and Install OS X on the first of two partitions with a GUID partition scheme. Set the first partition to format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Set the second partition to format as FAT and apply your changes.
  2. Do the post install from the CD, installing Chameleon and get it so that OS X boots on it's own.
  3. Install Windows XP on the second partition. Do NOT adjust partitions in the Windows install. Just select the last partition and reformat as NTFS. Windows will warn that the other OS must have a dual boot loader installed. Don't worry - it does.
  4. When you reboot, Chameleon should allow you to boot either OSX or Windows XP.

Another newbie question.

If I want to install Snow Leopard after I install Mac OS X 10.5.6 and XP in my D620 using your method, do both parts or only Mac part need to be re-installed? Thanks.

Just the OS X drive. Don't repartition, just go into disk utility and ERASE the OS X partition before installing Snow on it. Leave the Windows partition alone. You'll have to reinstall chameleon after the Snow install.

Works great... shall I try 64 bit?

Sure, why not? You have Nvidia so I think the only kext that isn't 64 bit compatible is the ethernet kext. If you don't care and can give up ethernet, give it a go. If it's not stable, try deleting the ethernet kext and rebuilding the mkext again. The rebuild utility will let you get right back to where you were before you ran it for the very first time if things get unstable. You can also try adding kexts to /Extra/Extensions and rebuild to add support for other stuff - like pcmcia or whatever. But, no guarrantees on anything.

Looks like I will be deleting natit from the build before release. It's hurting more than helping.

Edit: Apparently, sound isn't working in 64 bit mode on the D620 with Nvidia, either. I guess the 64 bit version of voodoohda isn't our solution for 64 bit audio just yet.

Hi everyone! I have a D620 GMA 950 running Leopard perfectly well, wanna get Snow Leopard working on it. :ninja: I tried your EFI string but no dice - will try all the tricks like Sleep display etc. though. Thought maybe you could help, as I saw you managed to get it right.

You say you used an ancient AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext. I will try mine from Leopard.

As for your Audio, a hint - have you tried deleting AppleHDA.kext after installing VoodooHDA

Hi everyone! I have a D620 GMA 950 running Leopard perfectly well, wanna get Snow Leopard working on it. :huh: I tried your EFI string but no dice - will try all the tricks like Sleep display etc. though. Thought maybe you could help, as I saw you managed to get it right.

You say you used an ancient AppleIntelFrameBuffer.kext. I will try mine from Leopard.

As for your Audio, a hint - have you tried deleting AppleHDA.kext after installing VoodooHDA

Audio works fine in 32-bit mode. I don't modify /s/l/e - ever. I don't add kexts there, and I don't delete them. The issue is that the voodoohda isn't quite ready for 64 bit prime time yet. If voodoohda loaded correctly, then AppleHDA wouldn't.

I am releasing a CD today that will allow you to install and use SL on your machine in 32 bit mode, dual core enabled, no patched kernel, with no changes to /s/l/e. No 64 bit yet for GMA950 because I don't see a solution for it anywhere yet.

We don't use EFI string for VID; I haven't found one that works for D620/GMA950, and they aren't required for Nvidia. I also haven't got a dsdt.aml to work properly, either. For the most part, we don't seem much worse off for it - except for sleep.

Hi Leppy! Sorry I have been gone for a long time again, but I have news, and a reason for my absence...

OH NOES!!!! My Poor D820!!! T_T

It looks like my motherboard died!!! :-( I'm looking at two options - eBay a new motherboard with 256MB Nvidia, or getting either a D830 or M4300 to replace this system.

It happened a few weeks back, right after my last reply. I needed a machine in a hurry, so I picked up a Mini 10v to tide me over (those are great little machines, IMHO), and have been spending the last couple of weeks getting it all setup the way I needed it to be (Snow Leopard + 7, apps, etc).

I'll keep you posted on when my D820 is back up. If I wind up with a D830, or even an M4300, I'll let you know and try things out on that (has anyone tried an M4300 yet? - I think that would be pretty sweet...).

~FoxND001

I am releasing a CD today that will allow you to install and use SL on your machine in 32 bit mode, dual core enabled, no patched kernel, with no changes to /s/l/e. No 64 bit yet for GMA950 because I don't see a solution for it anywhere yet.

Awesome!! Thank you so much I can't wait. :)

I got Snow Leopard working with most things on my D620, but a few things aren't. Once I get your drivers all will be good :)

I should note that I have a CD/DVD combo drive (doesn't write DVD) that had a hard time reading the original SL DVD. I popped in a copy of the DVD made on another machine and things purred right along.

If you have NVIDIA, don't forget to stay with the install and wiggle your cursor to keep the screen active, or you will end up finishing the install blind. It will work blind because it'll reboot at the end, but you'll be wondering if your computer has been taken over my a cult of Jesus freaks trying to cloud-calculate the date of the second coming.

I should note that I have a CD/DVD combo drive (doesn't write DVD) that had a hard time reading the original SL DVD. I popped in a copy of the DVD made on another machine and things purred right along.

If you have NVIDIA, don't forget to stay with the install and wiggle your cursor to keep the screen active, or you will end up finishing the install blind. It will work blind because it'll reboot at the end, but you'll be wondering if your computer has been taken over my a cult of Jesus freaks trying to cloud-calculate the date of the second coming.

Hi Leppy,

When I start the computer with the boot CD, Dell logo on the top, CD image with D620SLV1.iso label on the lower left, and Mac image with Mac label on the lower right are shown.

If I replace the boot cd with 10.6 retail dvd and hit F5 after DVD is read, the Mac image is shown on the lower left and the hard disk image is on the lower right. But all the labels below the images are messed up and nothing happens.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? My computer has Leopard 10.5.6. Thanks.

Hi Leppy,

When I start the computer with the boot CD, Dell logo on the top, CD image with D620SLV1.iso label on the lower left, and Mac image with Mac label on the lower right are shown.

If I replace the boot cd with 10.6 retail dvd and hit F5 after DVD is read, the Mac image is shown on the lower left and the hard disk image is on the lower right. But all the labels below the images are messed up and nothing happens.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? My computer has Leopard 10.5.6. Thanks.

Nothing. Your DVD reader is having trouble reading the OS X Install DVD. Is it a combo drive? I had that issue with one of those. I made a copy of the DVD and installed with that.

I am working on an alternate install if that fails. Stay tuned.

Nothing. Your DVD reader is having trouble reading the OS X Install DVD. Is it a combo drive? I had that issue with one of those. I made a copy of the DVD and installed with that.

I am working on an alternate install if that fails. Stay tuned.

You seem to be correct. I tried to start D610 with the boot CD just to check if there is an issue with reading OS X Install DVD. When I replaced the boot CD with the OS X DVD, OS X DVD image was shown on the right with the correct label. D610 has CDRW/DVD reader, but D620 has DVD+/-RW.

Do I have to use the USB flash Drive? I have 16Gb USB flash drive.

You seem to be correct. I tried to start D610 with the boot CD just to check if there is an issue with reading OS X Install DVD. When I replaced the boot CD with the OS X DVD, OS X DVD image was shown on the right with the correct label. D610 has CDRW/DVD reader, but D620 has DVD+/-RW.

Do I have to use the USB flash Drive? I have 16Gb USB flash drive.

Not necessarily. If you have a blank DL DVD, make a copy of your SL DVD and try that. Or - will the dvd reader in the D610 fit in the D620?

If that's not a viable option then I'm still working up an alternate install method.

Awesome job!!!!!!

Now on 10.6.1 and everything works brilliantly!

Thank you.

Hi Leppy! Sorry I have been gone for a long time again, but I have news, and a reason for my absence...

OH NOES!!!! My Poor D820!!! T_T

It looks like my motherboard died!!! :-( I'm looking at two options - eBay a new motherboard with 256MB Nvidia, or getting either a D830 or M4300 to replace this system.

It happened a few weeks back, right after my last reply. I needed a machine in a hurry, so I picked up a Mini 10v to tide me over (those are great little machines, IMHO), and have been spending the last couple of weeks getting it all setup the way I needed it to be (Snow Leopard + 7, apps, etc).

I'll keep you posted on when my D820 is back up. If I wind up with a D830, or even an M4300, I'll let you know and try things out on that (has anyone tried an M4300 yet? - I think that would be pretty sweet...).

~FoxND001

Keep us posted! I was going to buy a mini 10v, but then I spotted a the scads of clean D620s on Ebay for under $300.

I likes me some '620.

Not necessarily. If you have a blank DL DVD, make a copy of your SL DVD and try that. Or - will the dvd reader in the D610 fit in the D620?

If that's not a viable option then I'm still working up an alternate install method.

I was so stupid. I didn't think about switching DVD drives between D610 and D620.

It worked perfectly. I am updating to 10.6.1. I will try to install Windows XP or 7 for the dual boot as instructed.

Awesome Job!! Thank you very much.