Problems with CPUThrottler2? please post them in this thread

SaberSHO

24 posts in this topic

autoy-yeah, this "bug" is known to me. I am working on a fix atm which involves adding a policy entry into /etc/authorization...but I cannot get it working yet. I am definatly looking into it and it will be fixed by beta2. The real problem is that the authorization reference times out after 5 minutes. This is a "security feature" to prevent programs from hijacking your system, so i need to find a way around it. Thank you for bring this bug up autoy and im glad you enjoy this little app

Thanks, I like the app, too. I have also experienced the bug, which is about my only major annoyance. I notice that none of the buttons seem to work- loading the kext, saving, or loading a profile, all of which are great ideas.

Thanks again, keep working!!

sonicbuddha, those buttons are disabled in this beta because i have not implemented the kext loading function, and the current implemntation for creating and setting profiles are not working as intended. I wanted to release a version that had most of the features so people could play with them, and the next beta should enable profiles as well as fix the authorization bug. I havent looked yet at doing the kextload, but it should be rather trivial and you should look for that in the next release as well. Thanks for the input.

the program don't save its parameters everytime I strat I set settings againg

Found another one during using of the program after some time it freezes on 1.33 and not moving up or down weard a ? :)I have looked on sysctl yes it was freezed there if it is possible mace tranzition faster ;) and down transition is made one level per period :)

• 2 months later...

First off, Thanks for a great tool you saved my lap from burning :)

However I've noticed that I can't add cputhrottler2 to startup...if I do then I don't get an cpu settings....if I don't add it to startup and open it manually then it works fine.

By the way hows the whole saving settings going? still working on it or give up?

• 2 weeks later...

Great App..... but I have the following problem:

I installed ACPICPUThrottle, then your App, everithing works great, but when I reboot mi Laptop, your App doesnt work any more, because the ACPICPUThrottle.kext doesn load automatically.

How can I make ACPICPUThrottle.kext auto load...?? or what i´not doing fine..??

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go! This adds a features really needed in the bare bones that Niall setup. I like the improvements.

Problems:

1) How to get back to the dialog box once you've set your profile and closed the interface. Now I want to change my settings- can I do this without closing the app and restarting? I know you're working on it but a context menu for the menu bar icon would be a fantastic addition.

2) I'm confused about the actual instalation and if it conflicts with the autostart version of Niall's package. If I don't use the autostart/autothrottle CPUThrottleCtrl that Niall offers because it conflicts with your package, which it seems to do, what is the best way to load the throttle driver at boot?

Thanks for your help and, really, good work!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No. Doesn't work with 8.8.1. As said before, we'll have to wait until ACPICPUThrottle.kext is fixed by its author. It's nothing to do with CPUThrottler2 itself. Bumping the thread will only cause annoyance, instead, wait until the author of ACPICPUThrottle's site, here is updated.

Guest bikedude880
No. Doesn't work with 8.8.1. As said before, we'll have to wait until ACPICPUThrottle.kext is fixed by its author. It's nothing to do with CPUThrottler2 itself. Bumping the thread will only cause annoyance, instead, wait until the author of ACPICPUThrottle's site, here is updated.
This driver WILL NOT WORK on newer versions of Apple MacOS X. Specifically, it's known to work on v8.4.1 kernels (Tiger 10.4.4). Newer kernels (eg; 8.6.1) just don't provide the rtc_clock_stepping() call required to resynchronise clocks. If you know anything about how newer kernels implement speed stepping, I'd love to hear from you - even better if you can patch in support yourself.

• 3 weeks later...