ATHEROS AR5007 (Aspire 150 Working w/Kismac)

m477h3w

23 posts in this topic

So after many failed attempts at getting my precious Wi-Fi working with my Acer Aspire One 150, I have finally figured it out. It was relatively easy compared to all the other tutorials and I noticed that the others tutorials lacked the crutial detail that made this all work for me. This is exactly what I did:

NOTE: I installed with iATKOS 10.5.7 and Voodoo Kernel 9.0.7!!!

Step 1 - Install this Atheros ar5007 package located on my mediafire here

Step 2 - Restart the computer and then install IO80211Family.kext here using Kext Helper!

Step 3 - DO NOT RESTART YET! Use this program to repair Kext Permissions here, wait for it to finish and then Restart!

Step 4 - Download Kismac Trunk r319 located here and extract & run it!

Step 5 - In the preferences pane of Kismac go to Drivers, and add "Apple Airport Extreme card, Passive Mode"

Step 6 - (The Step that never was even mentioned to anywhere but I decided to try) Under Channel Hopping click "Check All"! This made my wireless networks finally show up! Exit the preferences pane.

Step 7 - Click Start Scan in Kismac and when prompted enter you password. When your wifi networks show up quit Kismac! Now your wifi networks should show up in the Aiport Utility! Join your network and Enjoy!

I'm on a WEP encrypted network and it works perfectly! No slowdowns or disconnects like i've seen others reporting! Your going to have to do Step 7 everytime you reboot or logoff (I don't know the logoff since i'm the only user on my aa1) and it could be a pain but its working!!! Sorry about all the steps, i'm sure I could have condensed them into fewer but I just wanted to be thorough :blink:

This is exactly what I did. I do not know if you really needed to install the IO80211.Family.kext or if you needed to repair permissions but these were the exact steps I did to get mine working. So, later after you want to reinstall your system at some point you can test if you need to skip that or not.

ALL THE PROGRAMS I NEEDED I OBTAINED FROM A FEW SITES SO I'M SORRY FOR NOT GIVING CREDIT WHERE I'M SURE IT IS DUE. I JUST HAVE BEEN THROUGH ABOUT A MILLION SITES LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION AND PICKED UP THESE PROGRAMS ALONG THE WAY. I GOT THE ATHEROS AR5007 PACKAGE FROM A DRIVER PACK I GOT ON THEPIRATEBAY IN CASE ANYONE WAS WONDERING.

EDIT 5:56 AM

I just update iTunes, Quicktime and Jave whatever and restarted. Next boot my wifi networks wouldn't show up again so I tried pretty much everything and waited to install the Atheros AR5007 package for last. Well, that did the trick. Wi-Fi is back and operational. I don't know what happened maybe when I updated it replaced the driver or something? I don't know but if you have this same problem do as I and install that package again. That leads me to believe that using the IO80211.kext isnt needed in initial steps but like I said I haven't re-install OSx86 again so further testing is needed. Sorry to keep updating.

Great work, but it still anyoying that you ALWAYS HAVE TO GO INTO KISMAC can anybody come up with a driver WITHOUT KISMAC because on linux it works fine can anybody make a driver from a linux driver PLEASE :)

yeah it definitely is annoying to have to run Kismac but I added it to my dock and then right clicked it to and added it to my Login so it opens everytime I login. Worked pretty well for me it only takes a few seconds once you get a hold of it.

yeah it definitely is annoying to have to run Kismac but I added it to my dock and then right clicked it to and added it to my Login so it opens everytime I login. Worked pretty well for me it only takes a few seconds once you get a hold of it.

Well there is a solution that involves a lot of patience and skills even for me it was stressful I am Comp. Eng..

well the process its call Rebranding the card to a vanilla card which would be making the card sub-vendor ids and subsystem ids equal to a vanilla card apple uses and you dont have to modify drivers load kext or even worry about apple updates.. and best of all Leopard sees the Atheros as a native card and you dont have to run the Annoying kissmac. that only works every fool moon..

check it out it might be worth it.. I did it and is working on my (Chameleon 2) 10.5.7

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...122365&st=0

Regards!!

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic. This is what so many people have wanted for a long time and yet it is buried and not well documented. This kind of post needs to be in a tutorial to allow others to use it. Thanks again :blink:

Although i'm having a couple of issues connecting, this is the closest ive been in a while :( should Airport scanning be set to off or on. I'm not having too much luck at the moment, basically, it isn't even scanning the channels, like how the numbers usually rotate round the little cog. It isn't doing that, any ideas?

thank you very much this made my wireless work after a long time I was looking for a solution but I still have 2 small problems,

1- I have to boot first into windows and then reboot into leopard to make it work

2- i need to be close to the modem for good signal I can not get away much

do you have any idea about this?

i have a compaq presario c700

hey guys, i was trying all night last night with no luck with pretty much the same method...couldnt get it to work at all, but today i come home from work and try it first time and it connects! im sending is post from my hackintosh now...hopefully it works more times than it doesnt...

Hey yall,

About a week ago I came across this post after trying instructions read in several other posts, with no success only freezes and kernel panics. I've (re)installed 10.5.7 atleast 20 times in the past couple of weeks. I followed the steps listed above, and low and behold, it worked (the first time!). After installing all the updates, the computer rebooted and it never worked again. I read somewhere to make sure that airport was off when shutting down, so I don't know if that was a cause or maybe an airport update, hell I don't know. Even after a complete os reinstall, I still couldn't get kismac to scan. I was reading earlier tonight a thread that mentioned a kismac driver utility from an earlier release, and through some googling I came across a 0.2.99 release, so I downloaded it. I got rid of the current 3.19 release, and installed 2.99. At first it was doing the same thing (or lack thereof) as 3.19. So I turned aiport on then hit scan and it worked. When doing the updates, I actually read through them this time and steered clear of the airport update. I shut down airport before rebooting. When I came back on everything worked again. I just turned on airport before starting kismac, and closed kismac to get get my network to show up in airport. For those of you that have gotten your card to work once,like me, then never again, try 0.2.99 trunk. Good luck and godspeed!

Oh, on an unrelated matter, I selected the xiezhy bootloader in iatkos 7, and I am at the moment successfully triple booting osx, win7, and ubuntu. Is the xiezhy bootloader the same thing as boot think 2? I would like to have to custom icons at boot to choose from (ie. apple, penguin, and win logo) instead of the generic hard drive icon. Can I do that w/xiezhy or do I have to install boot think 2. I did have trouble configuring chameleon. I know this is a topic for another thread, but I was already here. Thanx.

hey guys.. i got it working again...seems random...but anyway i booted into windows afterwards and windows wont pick up my wifi card anymore ? used to work before, but now its not even in device manager. any ideas? I have installed the drivers for it, it was working before..

I am using the iAtkos v7 in my notebook Acer aspire 7720Z

I used Kmac to find the network, without success!

Imagem1.png

Until the icon of the network it appears, but it tries also to search without success

Imagem2.png

click in preference of system in network to have certainty that the AirPort is active, but is yellow

Imagem4.png

Good did I make of everything to find a solution, good somebody I have an idea that he can be? He is lacking some thing that lacks, therefore is HELPS almost there please.

super hug to all

my friend has the a110 aspire one model(with 16 gb ssd drive) and we 've tried to get this card working since june .Today we found the way to made it: we updated the bios version to the 3309 and actually this is the trick that lead us to the success :( He has to open kismac on every boot but his wpa-psk home network always appers and the connection is stable.Everythings works on Leopard retail 10.5.6 installation updated to 10.5.8 with vanilla kernel 9.8.At the moment he's using an external usb 40 gb drive pending the installation of a 30 gb 1,8 zif hard disk ordered from China. The kext used is taken from this post.Rename this kext to IO802Family.kext and install it after the bios update.You have to turn off the card before the shutdown(after reboot it doesn't find wifi networks).I know this can't be a final solution,but currently it seems the only way to get the networks recognized on acer aspire one series.I hope this can help :( Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
my friend has the a110 aspire one model(with 16 gb ssd drive) and we 've tried to get this card working since june .Today we found the way to made it: we updated the bios version to the 3309 and actually this is the trick that lead us to the success :) He has to open kismac on every boot but his wpa-psk home network always appers and the connection is stable.Everythings works on Leopard retail 10.5.6 installation updated to 10.5.8 with vanilla kernel 9.8.At the moment he's using an external usb 40 gb drive pending the installation of a 30 gb 1,8 zif hard disk ordered from China. The kext used is taken from this post.Rename this kext to IO802Family.kext and install it after the bios update.You have to turn off the card before the shutdown(after reboot it doesn't find wifi networks).I know this can't be a final solution,but currently it seems the only way to get the networks recognized on acer aspire one series.I hope this can help :blink: Good luck

DIDNT WORK FOR ME

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, m477h3w, thanks for this post!

I am using the iAtkos v7 in my notebook Acer aspire 7720Z

I used Kmac to find the network, without success!

Imagem1.png

Until the icon of the network it appears, but it tries also to search without success

Imagem2.png

click in preference of system in network to have certainty that the AirPort is active, but is yellow

Imagem4.png

Good did I make of everything to find a solution, good somebody I have an idea that he can be? He is lacking some thing that lacks, therefore is HELPS almost there please.

super hug to all

I did every step in it, I finally got airport to recognize my atheros card, and thats a huge advance for me, but i've got the same problem as conseld... kismac doesn't find any network and airport just keeps scanning, without success.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you this worked like a charm :D the only issue I have is now when I open system preferances it crashes. I have been working on a solution for my wireless I have been using a linksys USB600N adapter (worked great by the why) but having "on board" wireless is the best. For those of you looking for a solution I will attach the drivers to this post it works right "out of the box" tested on iatkos v4a, iatkos v7 (with 10.5.8 update no re-install needed) ideneb v1.5 the drivers arew there for tiger but I have not teated those hope this helps anyone :P

• 8 months later...

Acer Extensa 5220

Atheros AE5007EG

Did not work for me.

Same happens as other tut's have guided me - apple detects airport card. No networks ever shown.

Followed your guide exact and didn't work for me. Looks like I am buying that Dell card for my laptop :)

Good luck to the rest of you :(

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...