Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Still no fix. I downgraded back to A01 and everything work's fine again. I booted many time's to windows and key's work. Upgraded to A04 and brightness key's work untill I booted Windows 1st time, then they didn't work anymore. This is very strange.

DSDT is tied to bios so if everyone here is using the dsdt I made for your A01 bios, yet using it on different bios revisions, there may be problems. If you're using chameleon bootloader to boot windows, and chameleon is loading my a01 based dsdt, yet your hadware is at a04, then windows could very well get confused as the dsdt windows sees would be inconsistent with what's in bios. If you use grub to chainload chameleon and windows, the windows wouldn't see the modified dsdt so you'd have different results.

DSDT is tied to bios so if everyone here is using the dsdt I made for your A01 bios, yet using it on different bios revisions, there may be problems. If you're using chameleon bootloader to boot windows, and chameleon is loading my a01 based dsdt, yet your hadware is at a04, then windows could very well get confused as the dsdt windows sees would be inconsistent with what's in bios. If you use grub to chainload chameleon and windows, the windows wouldn't see the modified dsdt so you'd have different results.

I use a windows bootloader to select between windows and snow leopard. If i choose windows it boots windows if i choose mac it starts chameleon and then after starting chameleon it will load snow leopard. I have tried to use a usb drive with chameleon on it and boot windows, but it boots fine. With the modified dsdt.aml. I even have the brightness controls still.

Should we start looking at the dsdt.aml a04 bios and port the hacks that were applied to a01? would this fix the issue? or help any?

Should we start looking at the dsdt.aml a04 bios and port the hacks that were applied to a01? would this fix the issue? or help any?
I think step 0 would be for you guys to detail the situations in which things don't work. 1 user says lid status always works. 1 users says it always doesn't. What are the differences between those 2 configs? The a01 dsdt doesn't have a lid device in it so I'm surprised to hear there is some situation in which OSX sees the lid close event. Is that with a newer dsdt than a01?

I don't have a 14z and have only seen the 1 dsdt so you guys have to fill in the blanks :D

And yes, copying the dsdt change I gave you guys into a04 dsdt is probably in order.

Here's the DSDT from A04 that I dumped from Windows. I've added in the modifications necessary to make sound, video, etc work. Sleep works for me with this DSDT.

Triple edit: OK, fixed sleep. Not entirely sure which change it was to be honest, I copied all the random things I'd been screwing around with from my old DSDT to this one. Still no backlight control.

DSDT.dsl.txtDSDT.aml.txt

Anyone here get the Hdmi to work. When i connect it to my hdtv all i can see is my wallpaper even though i have firefox open. If you do have it working would you mind posting the kext or how you got it to work. Or its not possible

HDMI works fine for me with the DSDTs in this thread - nothing else required. Stupid question - are you pulling Firefox over to the other screen?

Hey everyone I have been following this guide and I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the hard work you have done. I have read through all 11 pages of posts multiple times but for some reason I cant get Airport to enable. I have the Dell 1397 card and I have used all of the kext's from darkpoe as well as the DSDT he posted and I have everything else working (I even got the brightness controls working by downgrading to BIOS A01). I have run the Broadcom installer, rebooted, and run the bcm43xx enabler script so I have the Airport logo but I cant get Airport to turn on. I have tried in both 10.6.0 and 10.6.2. Im doing a clean install of Leopard, updating to 10.6.2, and then installing the kexts and DSDT, what are the exact steps I should do from there? Thanks!

I think step 0 would be for you guys to detail the situations in which things don't work. 1 user says lid status always works. 1 users says it always doesn't. What are the differences between those 2 configs? The a01 dsdt doesn't have a lid device in it so I'm surprised to hear there is some situation in which OSX sees the lid close event. Is that with a newer dsdt than a01?

I don't have a 14z and have only seen the 1 dsdt so you guys have to fill in the blanks :(

And yes, copying the dsdt change I gave you guys into a04 dsdt is probably in order.

Lid Sleep has never worked for me. I was suprised to hear it working for other people. I got it working in 32bit with clamshelldislay.kext. Now I made the changes to A04 dsdt. Still no change in lid status or brightness key's. I post a clean dsdt later. I did a diff on the two files and not much changes. Windows 7 support in bios and few minor changes still no slpb or change to lid0.

Lid Sleep has never worked for me. I was suprised to hear it working for other people. I got it working in 32bit with clamshelldislay.kext. Now I made the changes to A04 dsdt. Still no change in lid status or brightness key's. I post a clean dsdt later. I did a diff on the two files and not much changes. Windows 7 support in bios and few minor changes still no slpb or change to lid0.

Did you try the second DSDT I posted above? It makes sleep work for me...

Did you try the second DSDT I posted above? It makes sleep work for me...

Gonna try it now. EDIT: Um Bios A04 lid sleep didn't work. I'm using chamalon maybe that's why.

Here's unedited A04 dsdt that ripped using DSDT_Patcher 1.0.1e. The same as the A01 dsdt that i posted. The windows program never works for me.

dsdt.dsl.zip

Bcc9 Chamalon will load your dsdt.aml even to boot windows?

Gonna try it now. EDIT: Um Bios A04 lid sleep didn't work. I'm using chamalon maybe that's why.

Here's unedited A04 dsdt that ripped using DSDT_Patcher 1.0.1e. The same as the A01 dsdt that i posted. The windows program never works for me.

dsdt.dsl.zip

Bcc9 Chamalon will load your dsdt.aml even to boot windows?

The A01 DSDT and the A04 DSDT definitely have differences, I've looked at both of them before. If you're getting the same dump, are you remembering to tell Chameleon not to load the DSDT before booting OSX? Otherwise you'll just re-dump the one you're currently using. I'm using PC_EFI 10.5, which I know does some more setup and initialization than Chameleon does - try switching to it to see what happens.

As far as I know, Chameleon/PC_EFI doesn't load the DSDT when you load Windows. The Windows dumper I used picked up the one from A04 and didn't see the A03-based DSDT I had been using before.

The A01 DSDT and the A04 DSDT definitely have differences, I've looked at both of them before. If you're getting the same dump, are you remembering to tell Chameleon not to load the DSDT before booting OSX? Otherwise you'll just re-dump the one you're currently using. I'm using PC_EFI 10.5, which I know does some more setup and initialization than Chameleon does - try switching to it to see what happens.

As far as I know, Chameleon/PC_EFI doesn't load the DSDT when you load Windows. The Windows dumper I used picked up the one from A04 and didn't see the A03-based DSDT I had been using before.

Yes I remembered to remove the old dsdt. I didn't say there werent diffrences there just not that many relevent ones. Here's a diff. diff.txt I dont see to much keyboard related. Lid sleep was broken on A01 also. Im already using 10.5.

Hey everyone I have been following this guide and I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the hard work you have done. I have read through all 11 pages of posts multiple times but for some reason I cant get Airport to enable. I have the Dell 1397 card and I have used all of the kext's from darkpoe as well as the DSDT he posted and I have everything else working (I even got the brightness controls working by downgrading to BIOS A01). I have run the Broadcom installer, rebooted, and run the bcm43xx enabler script so I have the Airport logo but I cant get Airport to turn on. I have tried in both 10.6.0 and 10.6.2. Im doing a clean install of Leopard, updating to 10.6.2, and then installing the kexts and DSDT, what are the exact steps I should do from there? Thanks!

Do a clean install of 10.6.2 it's better. The last page or the one before. Someone posted about using the wireless switch to turn it off. then rebooting once or something like that. then turning back on. I have dell 1515n so cant be much help.

Could some of you guy's test this DSDT.aml. I took bcc9's advice and added a Device (SLPB). And It seem's to be working. A04 dsdt. Might need sleepenabler.kext

Attachment deleted thru me into a sleep loop.

After a lot of going back and forth I finally settled on the studio 14z.. started looking at the rumor sites and I don't think I could handle Apple's refresh in 3-4 months.. be too painful and I need to upgrade.. this I feel is less pain at the end of the day.

So does anyone have the ethernet working? I rarely use it, and I have usb dongle even but there are occasions where I use it about once a month or so, so it would be highly appreciated. Also mmoogle never got back with me on the eSata working. Anyone able to confirm?

Also I thought I would mention I managed to get the 14z as a refurb for $639 ($691 w/ tax), which included an 8 cell battery, backlit keyboard, and 1600x900. I also ordered an osx sleep compatible expresscard34 sd reader ($25), slim travel charger ($39), and a bluetooth module ($25). So in total I spent $780 and I absolutely have everything I want. I will upgrade the ram later once ram prices fall but 3gb is enough for now and I may upgrade the hard drive later too.

Yea I would have liked an aluminum body instead but I would really be kicking myself if Apple refreshed it 3 months later to quad cores, and already feeling like I would be missing out on features I want/need (eSata, expresscard34, high res screen). People in the apple forums are very vocal about their missing and beloved expresscard friend too... (in the 15 & 13" models). At least this way even if apple upgrades the mbp 13" to quad core, unless they feel especially generous I don't see eSata, expresscard34, 1600x900 AND quad cores being released all at the same time.

I have removed what I just said about the T6600 vs P8600, because apparently VT is only needed if you are planning to use microsofts virtualization or if you are planning to use vmware with a 64bit OS. While that would be great, I know it is not worth the time, or additional money for a 6% increase in CPU performance and 64bit virtualization capability. Also the macbook pros have P8400 clocked at the same speed as the T6600 on the low end, and it of course gives them VT. Only other advantage is that the P8400 uses 25w instead of 35w.. that would be a better reason to upgrade than the performance, but both things are relatively marginal.

the broadcom enable messed up my ability to even see airport functionality i had to replace my airport files in the /s/l/e once i ran that. the dsdt.aml that is posted in the earlier part and in my zip are specifically a01 bios. make sure you have installed the files in the right place and ran the kext utility to rebuilt the mkext caches. send me a pm if ya need more help ok.. darkpoe@hotmail.com

Any new news? I have the laptop now.. don't have time to install OSX yet, but I will say Windows 7 blue screened in less than 24 hours of owning it.. had not got further than installing firefox on it the time.

Can any 14z owners confirm expresscard slot and esata working? I am also wondering if any has audio working over hdmi?

Any new news? I have the laptop now.. don't have time to install OSX yet, but I will say Windows 7 blue screened in less than 24 hours of owning it.. had not got further than installing firefox on it the time.

Can any 14z owners confirm expresscard slot and esata working? I am also wondering if any has audio working over hdmi?

HDMI audio shouldn't work, video does. I could never get the sound to work. expresscard I don't know, eSata not confirmed but it should work because it's contolled by nvidia chipset. OS X will probley just see it has another sata drive. Again not confirmed.

Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to the crew here at insanelymac and the osx86 community. And a special thanks to mmoogle and the OP of this thread. Your posts were great, and set me on my way to my first hackintosh. Quite a daunting task, I had to restart about three times after basically learning that I was doing it wrong, and suceeded in wiping all my data from my hdd (decided to go GPT rather than MBR, much better in the end, IMO).

But really, just thanks for all your hard work.

Sincerely,

DaveTheKnight

HDMI audio shouldn't work, video does. I could never get the sound to work. expresscard I don't know, eSata not confirmed but it should work because it's contolled by nvidia chipset. OS X will probley just see it has another sata drive. Again not confirmed.

eSATA works, but it is not fast at all. On Windows 7, I see 50mb/sec, on OSX, I see like 15-20mb/sec?

Nice to see everyone is still around, good luck! ;) BTW, I was wondering, is there any advantage in upgrading the BIOS from A0/1 to A4? My previous install Windows 7 RC & OSX 10.5.8 seems to run fine with A1.

eSATA works, but it is not fast at all. On Windows 7, I see 50mb/sec, on OSX, I see like 15-20mb/sec?

Nice to see everyone is still around, good luck! :) BTW, I was wondering, is there any advantage in upgrading the BIOS from A0/1 to A4? My previous install Windows 7 RC & OSX 10.5.8 seems to run fine with A1.

I upgraded to the a4. The issue i have is i don't have screen brightness control. This is only occurs if you dual boot windows. I do have sleep functions though, i don;t konw if a1 or a0 have though. Over all i don't see the need to upgrade it. But that is just my opinion

Nice to see everyone is still around, good luck! :rolleyes: BTW, I was wondering, is there any advantage in upgrading the BIOS from A0/1 to A4? My previous install Windows 7 RC & OSX 10.5.8 seems to run fine with A1.

Stick with A1 anything else loose controls after the first boot to windows or linux. I thought it was a windows thing but ubuntu does it also. (takes control after first boot)

Thanks GAOO for checking into the eSATA, I just got a 4 week break sort of so I am about to install OSX on my laptop. I am disappointed to hear that eSATA is so much slower and that audio over HDMI is not working. I really like using OSX a lot but I am pretty much platform independent, but now since I have 4 hour battery life I actually find myself plugging my laptop into my hdtv's more often than ever before because I am not worried about my laptop dieing before the movie ends lol.

So I would really appreciate any info anyone has on getting the audio working over hdmi and how to speed up eSATA... I am about to take apart my desktop and I will be using eSata a great deal.. although since I do not trust hfs+ with my data, I am already reading and writing slower (paragon ntfs) since I prefer ntfs. I am a computer tech and I have found recovering data from an ntfs drives is much more successful than hfs+ and of course the number of tools are much greater for ntfs.

I have attached an excel document which outlines the vendor and device id's. I am also listing some of the info from my excel document right here.

Class (23:255) VendorID Device ID

Host Bridge 10DE 0A82

RAM Controller 10DE 0A88

ISA Bridge 10DE 0AAE

RAM Controller 10DE 0AA4

SMBus Cntr. 10DE 0AA2

RAM Controller 10DE 0A89

Co-processor 10DE 0AA3

OHCI USB Cntr. 10DE 0AA5

EHCI USB Cntr. 10DE 0AA6

High Def Audio 10DE 0AC0

PCI Subtractive (0-1) 10DE 0AAB

SATA (AHCI 1.0) 10DE 0AB9

PCI Bridge (0-4) 10DE 0AA0

PCI Bridge (0-5:7) 10DE 0AC6

PCI Bridge (0-11) 10DE 0AC7

PCI Bridge (0-17) 10DE 0AC7

PCI Bridge (0-23) 10DE 0AC7

VGA Controller 10DE 0866

Ethernet Controller 10EC 8168

Comms Controller 14E4 4315

OHCI FireWire 197B 2380

dell14z.zip

In case anyone was wondering about if the displayport and hdmi work at the same time.. they don't I just tested both in windows 7. I bought a $24 displayport to vga adapter from dell and hooked up to the hdmi and while the laptop detects both at the same time just fine, it will only output to one at a time.. I even tried turning off my laptops display so that I could try the dual output but that did not work either.

Also if anyone is having issues with eSata, keep in mind that the standard spec says to use a 1 meter cable.