Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Thanks mmoogle for the help. I just found the 10.6.2 kext do i just install it or do i have to change the device id?

I don't get the battery to show up in the top right when i run 32 bit, and my sound has that pop every now and again. I assume this is normal( I did get sound error when i do a -v). I will look into this wifi kext. Thanks mmoogle for all the info in this thread.

I don't get the battery to show up in the top right when i run 32 bit, and my sound has that pop every now and again. I assume this is normal( I did get sound error when i do a -v). I will look into this wifi kext. Thanks mmoogle for all the info in this thread.

Yeah, the sound pops now and then. Its probably cause the AppleHDA driver isn't exactly for our audio chip. Which VoodooBattery.kext are you using? Theres a 32/64bit version floating around somewhere.

What errors are you getting related to sound? I don't get any..

Yeah, the sound pops now and then. Its probably cause the AppleHDA driver isn't exactly for our audio chip. Which VoodooBattery.kext are you using? Theres a 32/64bit version floating around somewhere.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9zpo4a here's the 10.6.2 kext for everyone i believe you still need to change your device id to the corresponding device.

I would tell you but they flash so fast, that i can't read them very well. Is there a way to get a log of the -v startup? or a print out of it? As for the battery i will search for a 64 bit kext. I am sure that is what it is.

I would tell you but they flash so fast, that i can't read them very well. Is there a way to get a log of the -v startup? or a print out of it? As for the battery i will search for a 64 bit kext. I am sure that is what it is.

The battery works great in 64 bit and the wifi is great now that i added the id.

as for the sound. i see sound assertion failure or something like that. Don't get me wrong the sound works but not sure what the errors are, or if they are normal. I also removed the disable.kext because it was saying something about it erroring when i was in 64 bit. not sure if i need that or not but it seems to run great.

Any ideas?

The battery works great in 64 bit and the wifi is great now that i added the id.

as for the sound. i see sound assertion failure or something like that. Don't get me wrong the sound works but not sure what the errors are, or if they are normal. I also removed the disable.kext because it was saying something about it erroring when i was in 64 bit. not sure if i need that or not but it seems to run great.

Any ideas?

Are you using the most recent audio enabler kext posted here? Its a few pages in. Some of the earlier ones caused the assertion errors but later revisions fixed it.

I don't use any power management disabler kexts, the built-in power management works fine for me.

Guide to install Snow leopard on Dell Studio 14

1. You first need to install snow leopard on your laptop. I recommend this tutorial on how to install snow leopard http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

*IMPORTANT*BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES, AND HAVE A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD WITH YOU WHEN GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD AS THE KEYPAD WON'T WORK IN THE BEGINNING*

2. Once your in snow leopard, download this files (Thanks to the original poster for the files) and extract both of files in the graphics folder and place them in System/Library/Display/Overrides you will be asked for your password. After placing both of the files in the overrides folder, place the DSDT file into the extra folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the DSDT file already in there, and you will click on replace. Restart your computer. It seems that you don't need to use the graphic override files according to mmoogle but in my case it still worked.

3. Once your done installing snow leopard on your laptop, install all this kext, i would recommend using kext helper as it makes it easy installing kexts. After installing the following kexts, restart your computer. You should now have both wireless internet, audio working and the battery icon.

4. You may now begin dancing!

I made this tutorial based on my experience. Also the wireless kext worked on my dell 1515 wireless. The kext provided for the dell 1515 will only work in snow leopard it seems.

Also thanks mmoogle for helping in the process of installing snow leopard on my laptop.

Files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?izqmo0ivjit Snow leopard files

The kexts http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2julbxyyjnj

post-505505-1257629985_thumb.png

Guide to install Snow leopard on Dell Studio 14

1. You first need to install snow leopard on your laptop. I recommend this tutorial on how to install snow leopard http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

*IMPORTANT*BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES, AND HAVE A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD WITH YOU WHEN GOING TO INSTALL SNOW LEOPARD AS THE KEYPAD WON'T WORK IN THE BEGINNING*

2. Once your in snow leopard, download this files (Thanks to the original poster for the files) and extract both of files in the graphics folder and place them in System/Library/Display/Overrides you will be asked for your password. After placing both of the files in the overrides folder, place the DSDT file into the extra folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the DSDT file already in there, and you will click on replace. Restart your computer.

3. Once your done installing snow leopard on your laptop, install all this kext, i would recommend using kext helper as it makes it easy installing kexts. After installing the following kexts, restart your computer. You should now have both wireless internet, audio working and the battery icon.

4. You may now begin dancing!

I made this tutorial based on my experience. Also the wireless kext worked on my dell 1515 wireless.

Also thanks mmoogle for helping in the process of installing snow leopard on my laptop.

Files:

http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php

You don't need the display overrides under Snow Leopard - AFAIK those are only for Leopard to make it support the "720p" display. Your link to the kexts you used also doesn't work.

Are you using the most recent audio enabler kext posted here? Its a few pages in. Some of the earlier ones caused the assertion errors but later revisions fixed it.

I don't use any power management disabler kexts, the built-in power management works fine for me.

I am using the 14zkextSL.zip that you posted. it is hdaidt.kext. Is there another file that i need?

EDIT:

I have tried just about all the DSDT.aml files that are posted in this thread.

Use the kexts i provided. BTW i also get the sound pop but i really don't care about it.

I have tried your files also. Nothing seems to get this error to go away. I am running Snow Leopard 64 bit. Is there a way to show the log that i get?

I guess it is ok.

Ever since i switched to the 64 bit the trackpad doesn't work well. I can't scroll. The multi finger touch doesn't work.

I have tried your files also. Nothing seems to get this error to go away. I am running Snow Leopard 64 bit. Is there a way to show the log that i get?

I guess it is ok.

Ever since i switched to the 64 bit the trackpad doesn't work well. I can't scroll. The multi finger touch doesn't work.

Really thats weird im also running 64 bit.

Really thats weird im also running 64 bit.

I am not using a smbios.plist I just let it detect everything. Though some things aren't recognized. Could this be effecting anything? From what i read about chameleon bootloader doesn't need it, and it only just adds things to the about page but doesn't help in the running of anything.

Here is the text of my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

----------------------------------------------------

Here is the list of kext i am running in my extra/extensions folder

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

fakesmc.kext

HDAIDT.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPower.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

i see that the applehda doesn't load it says something about it can't load applehdacontroller.

(if i knew a way to save that log as it starts that would be great then i could show you my errors)

If anyone see anything i am doing wrong let me know

I am not using a smbios.plist I just let it detect everything. Though some things aren't recognized. Could this be effecting anything? From what i read about chameleon bootloader doesn't need it, and it only just adds things to the about page but doesn't help in the running of anything.

Here is the text of my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

----------------------------------------------------

Here is the list of kext i am running in my extra/extensions folder

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

fakesmc.kext

HDAIDT.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooPower.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

i see that the applehda doesn't load it says something about it can't load applehdacontroller.

(if i knew a way to save that log as it starts that would be great then i could show you my errors)

If anyone see anything i am doing wrong let me know

You'll see one error early in the boot process that AppleHDA cannot be loaded - that's OK, it will be loaded later in the boot process. If you make a smbios.plist you can make things under System Profiler show up correctly (RAM, for example). If you put in the right settings to mimic a 13" Macbook Pro (our laptops are VERY similar hardware-wise) you can use the built-in power management and get rid of VoodooBattery.kext and NullPowerMangement.kext. You shouldn't need SleepEnabler.kext at all in any case. If you switch to the latest PC_EFI you'll also get the built-in Ethernet and the CPU type detected correctly.

You'll see one error early in the boot process that AppleHDA cannot be loaded - that's OK, it will be loaded later in the boot process. If you make a smbios.plist you can make things under System Profiler show up correctly (RAM, for example). If you put in the right settings to mimic a 13" Macbook Pro (our laptops are VERY similar hardware-wise) you can use the built-in power management and get rid of VoodooBattery.kext and NullPowerMangement.kext. You shouldn't need SleepEnabler.kext at all in any case. If you switch to the latest PC_EFI you'll also get the built-in Ethernet and the CPU type detected correctly.

Ok i will see what i can do to make this smbios.plist.

As for the PC_EFI not sure what this is so i have to look it up, and get back to you on that

I would like to send a THUNDEROUS !!!THANKS!! to everyone who contributed to this thread for the tips and modified files. With all the help I was able to successfully install and configure OSX SL on my Studio 14z. I am booting from an external HDD. Have win 7 running on the internal and did not feel quite up to it to do dual booting. I had already installed and configure Leo on another drive using iatkos 7, did not get everything to work but I abandoned that project in favor of SL to run in 64 bit.

Thanks to ALL I pretty much have all devices (important ones) working. Here's what's NOT working and I might still need some help with:

Dell 8-in-1 express card reader, trackpad pane, battery indicator in task bar, wired ethernet (still working on this since I had it working before in Leo and I think in a previous install of SL.) not sure if my firewire is working, have nothing hooked up to it.

Just to let everyone know, after quite a few unsuccessful attempts using torrent gotten and other dmgs of SL I finally went to the apple store and bought a $29 copy of SL. Came home prepared another 2.5 HDD ( have quite a few of them around) with GUID, fired up my usb slim DVD drive did the boot 132 thing and SL was on it way to install. At the end I put in chemeleon r3 to boot from my drive, followed the instruction and tips I received here along with the file I dl'ed and now I am sitthing pretty.

My studio was customized to have all the options, P8600, 900p screen, BT, 1515, card reader, 320Gb hdd with fall sensor, the works I think.

Anyway can anyone help with the card reader or with the realtek1000? Is the latest driver 64 or still 32. I do not want to run SL in 32. If then I might as well go back to Leo.

PS by the way, my realtek seem to load but my ethernet connection kee saying that the connection has a self assigned ip address. As much as I tried to reboot my router and cable modem and computer the setting does not change. wireless works fine. Any help along that line would be appreciated.

Again THANKS to ALL

Ok i will see what i can do to make this smbios.plist.

As for the PC_EFI not sure what this is so i have to look it up, and get back to you on that

Ok i added the smbios.plist. Then i found the bios hidden file and replaced it with 10.5 beta. Everything works great now. no error on startup. That i can see.

Thank you

Ok i added the smbios.plist. Then i found the bios hidden file and replaced it with 10.5 beta. Everything works great now. no error on startup. That i can see.

Thank you

Anyone Get trackpad scrolling to work in snow loepard 64bit?

EDIT:

just upgraded to 10.6.2

Lost sound :( tried to rebuild the mkext but that didn't help.

Thank you

Anyone Get trackpad scrolling to work in snow loepard 64bit?

EDIT:

just upgraded to 10.6.2

Lost sound :D tried to rebuild the mkext but that didn't help.

Ah it seems that with the update 10.6.2, the audio output was changed to headphones, and all you have to do is go to system preferences and set it back to line out.

HDAIDT.kext.zip

Here's a updated 10.6.2 AppleHDA Legacy.kext I only get one error. Due to "hda-gfx" this is new. I have to look into this weekend. The above didn't work for me. I had no input's and output's.

For Realtek1000

Try this one. You'll need to remove the Apple 8169 kext. I don't think I ever tested in 64bit but it's a 64bit kext.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

HDAIDT.kext.zip

Here's a updated 10.6.2 AppleHDA Legacy.kext I only get one error. Due to "hda-gfx" this is new. I have to look into this weekend. The above didn't work for me. I had no input's and output's.

For Realtek1000

Try this one. You'll need to remove the Apple 8169 kext. I don't think I ever tested in 64bit but it's a 64bit kext.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

Updated to the new HDAIDT.kext.zip that westep23 provided and sound works again. I would like to get into how to make these drivers work. Could anyone point me to articles that would start me in driver modification?

Updated to the new HDAIDT.kext.zip that westep23 provided and sound works again. I would like to get into how to make these drivers work. Could anyone point me to articles that would start me in driver modification?

There's not really any articles. I just looked thru the forums. And made the relevent changes to the kext that bcc9 provided for the 1340. Changed the node's that I got from a linux codec dump. bcc9 is the one deserves most of the credit for getting most of are hardwork to work. Also I tested tonight my trackpad .scroll works in 64bit. I downloaded bcc9's hacked voodoops2controller.kext from the 1340 thread. And installed after I installed the official voodoops2controller package. I use the apple trackpad prefpane. The voodoo one dosn't work for alps. The realtek kext is made by pystar someone just recompiled for 64bit.

There's not really any articles. I just looked thru the forums. And made the relevent changes to the kext that bcc9 provided for the 1340. Changed the node's that I got from a linux codec dump. bcc9 is the one deserves most of the credit for getting most of are hardwork to work. Also I tested tonight my trackpad .scroll works in 64bit. I downloaded bcc9's hacked voodoops2controller.kext from the 1340 thread. And installed after I installed the official voodoops2controller package. I use the apple trackpad prefpane. The voodoo one dosn't work for alps. The realtek kext is made by pystar someone just recompiled for 64bit.

I finally found those kext you are referring to. Once installed it works great only it is side scrolling not the double finger. Not sure if i did something wrong, but i am not complaining it work!!!! Thank you

Westep23

It seems everything is working.

mmoogle, i removed my voodoobattery kext and my battery doesn't show up in the top right. I am not sure if yours is different than mine(meaning you said that it wasn't needed.) Does your have battery management when you remove voodoobattery?

I finally found those kext you are referring to. Once installed it works great only it is side scrolling not the double finger. Not sure if i did something wrong, but i am not complaining it work!!!! Thank you

Westep23

It seems everything is working.

mmoogle, i removed my voodoobattery kext and my battery doesn't show up in the top right. I am not sure if yours is different than mine(meaning you said that it wasn't needed.) Does your have battery management when you remove voodoobattery?

Yeah, it only seems to provide side scrolling, but that's better than nothing. I mis-typed above about voodoobattery, I meant to say VoodooPower. You'll still need voodoobattery for the battery icon. If you get rid of the various disabler kexts and you still have the original Apple power management kexts in place, it should just work.