Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Yeah, it only seems to provide side scrolling, but that's better than nothing. I mis-typed above about voodoobattery, I meant to say VoodooPower. You'll still need voodoobattery for the battery icon. If you get rid of the various disabler kexts and you still have the original Apple power management kexts in place, it should just work.

O ok. Cool that is what i did.

Thank again for all the help

There's not really any articles. I just looked thru the forums. And made the relevent changes to the kext that bcc9 provided for the 1340. Changed the node's that I got from a linux codec dump. bcc9 is the one deserves most of the credit for getting most of are hardwork to work.

Hey thanks. Actually I got stuck trying to fix the dell 1340 version of HDAIDT which broke with the 10.6.2 update, and your change showed me what was missing. (Looks like copying the CommonPeripheralDSP section from the real driver is now mandatory; go figure).

The AppleHDA stuff gives everyone a headache I think, it requires a lot of experimentation and sharing to get right.

PS: I think you still need to add the PCIVendorDeviceID keys&values to your Info.plist to avoid a few sound assertion messages.

I check it out but I havn't noticed any. weird. I need to clear the log's I guess. Thanks. There's a trackpad kext on voodoo forums in the alps topic that allowed 2 Finger scrolling, but it didn't work very well. But's it's only 32bit.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,567.0.html

Just noticed at the bottom of the page there's is a 64bit one.

It could be the one from this post. But I'm pretty sure it's the second one.

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,245.0.html

@bcc9 if you have some free time would you mind look into the lid sleep in the dsdt again. The device is just lid0 not lid but I cant find the other devices. Are equvilent to

Acquire (^^PCI0.LPC0.EC0.MUT0, 0xFFFF) and

If (^^PCI0.LPC0.EC0.LIDS)

And I guess this one is sleep Notify (^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)

Or could point me in the right direction how to find out.

@bcc9 if you have some free time would you mind look into the lid sleep in the dsdt again. The device is just lid0 not lid but I cant find the other devices. Are equvilent to

Acquire (^^PCI0.LPC0.EC0.MUT0, 0xFFFF) and

If (^^PCI0.LPC0.EC0.LIDS)

And I guess this one is sleep Notify (^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)

Or could point me in the right direction how to find out.

Your dsdt has no sleep button device (pnp0c0e), which is strange to me (does your power button work to wake from sleep?). Perhaps you can add the pnp0c0e device at the same scope as your existing Device (EC0):

Device (SLPB)
				{
					Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0E"))
				}

and then add Notify(^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)

in the line before the Return (LPOL)

First I'd check whether it's all working under linux and check /proc/acpi/button, but that's just me.

Hey thanks. Actually I got stuck trying to fix the dell 1340 version of HDAIDT which broke with the 10.6.2 update, and your change showed me what was missing. (Looks like copying the CommonPeripheralDSP section from the real driver is now mandatory; go figure).

The AppleHDA stuff gives everyone a headache I think, it requires a lot of experimentation and sharing to get right.

PS: I think you still need to add the PCIVendorDeviceID keys&values to your Info.plist to avoid a few sound assertion messages.

I was getting error :

assertion "0 == pcivenderProductID" failed in "/AppleHDACache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAcontroller.cpp" at Line 2682 goto Exit

-------------------------

I fixed this by adding my pcivenderid to the HDAIDT.kext

But i still get:

Sound assertion "ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative propery! \n"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAcodecGeneric.cpp" at line 331 goto ExitError

Not sure how to fix this error. But i guess it is normal with since the driver is sound driver 100%.

Sound still works, but not sure of this error. Any thoughts?

O yes i tried the 32bit version of the trackpad driver, but it doesn't do the two finger in 64bit.

On Snow Leopard 10.6.2 64bit

Your dsdt has no sleep button device (pnp0c0e), which is strange to me (does your power button work to wake from sleep?). Perhaps you can add the pnp0c0e device at the same scope as your existing Device (EC0):
				   Device (SLPB)
				  {
					  Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0E"))
				  }

and then add Notify(^^PCI0.LPC0.SLPB, 0x80)

in the line before the Return (LPOL)

First I'd check whether it's all working under linux and check /proc/acpi/button, but that's just me.

Am i missing????? mine goes to sleep when you close the lid.

If i manually click sleep it goes just fine and the power button wake it. When it is sleeping the power button blinks slowly. I have left it on sleep all night and woke in the morning all worked fine. I thought the latest DSDT had this function.

I am running sl 64bit. not sure what you have.

Sound assertion "ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative propery! \n"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDAcodecGeneric.cpp" at line 331 goto ExitError

Not sure how to fix this error. But i guess it is normal with since the driver is sound driver 100%.

Sound still works, but not sure of this error. Any thoughts?

This is a new error as far know since the 10.6.2 update. Never saw in 10.6.1 or 10.6. Havn't had time to check it out. But It looks like the injector is missing a value. The DSDT part of the injector not the HDA.kext. Actually It just dawned mon me that this probley has to do with hdmi audio. I never removed the bits even though they didn't work. We might be closer to getting it working now.

Am i missing????? mine goes to sleep when you close the lid.

If i manually click sleep it goes just fine and the power button wake it. When it is sleeping the power button blinks slowly. I have left it on sleep all night and woke in the morning all worked fine. I thought the latest DSDT had this function.

I am running sl 64bit. not sure what you have.

10.6 64 or 32. When you shut you lid it actually goes to sleep. Manual sleep works for me and the button work's but when I close the lid only the screen goes off. bcc9 didn't add lid sleep to the dsdt. So unless some uploaded a newer dsdt and I missed it. I'm not sure.

EDIT: This one work's in 64bit 2 Finger scroll and all. Its just not as natural as a macbook. Maybe you could mess with the settings in the Info.plist

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.zip

This is a new error as far know since the 10.6.2 update. Never saw in 10.6.1 or 10.6. Havn't had time to check it out. But It looks like the injector is missing a value. The DSDT part of the injector not the HDA.kext. Actually It just dawned mon me that this probley has to do with hdmi audio. I never removed the bits even though they didn't work. We might be closer to getting it working now.

10.6 64 or 32. When you shut you lid it actually goes to sleep. Manual sleep works for me and the button work's but when I close the lid only the screen goes off. bcc9 didn't add lid sleep to the dsdt. So unless some uploaded a newer dsdt and I missed it. I'm not sure.

EDIT: This one work's in 64bit 2 Finger scroll and all. Its just not as natural as a macbook. Maybe you could mess with the settings in the Info.plist

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.zip

That was it that makes two finger scolling work

As fo the sleep mode i would go though and check the thread and just try different ones. or i could repost the one i have

THANK YOU

assertion "0 == pcivenderProductID" failed in "/AppleHDACache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAcontroller.cpp" at Line 2682 goto Exit

I fixed this by adding my pcivenderid to the HDAIDT.kext

Yes that's the one for which I was recommending the fix to you guys.

I haven't seen the other assertion error on my 1340 laptop.

Are you guys saying that you have sound working properly without static? I tried for days to get everything working in SL about a month ago but I never could get the sound to work correctly so I gave up.

This is for the dell 14z

Not 100% it has some error on startup, and pops from time to time, but it doesn't have any static. Works good enough for me

Are you guys saying that you have sound working properly without static? I tried for days to get everything working in SL about a month ago but I never could get the sound to work correctly so I gave up.

Sound's to me like your using voodoohda.kext it had static with IDT audio.

The audio pops arent that bad at all with the new hdait.kext... I followed this thread and man it is a headache, but thanks for the help. I might recommend http://osx86.sojugarden.com/installer/ for the people putting together the usb key for install.. i used the lifehacker program link for stellrola installer and then put in my files but really this myhack installer is much easier.. The 1397 wireless card was a bit difficult to get to work.. but the old disable enable trick worked after i remembered it (delete airport, turn card off in bios, boot, reboot, turn back on in bios)

@niesz

Please post you DSDT.aml. I went back thru the thread. And only found two dsdt files. The rest in the file packs are those. If your using Studio_14z_OSX_Install_Files.zip. Then that's the one Im using. Are you sure sleep works when you close the lid. What is your power saving's set to(How many minute's).

@everyone else

Does lid sleep work for everyone else?

Thanks a ton darkpoe, I used the link you provided and I was able to install and have sound working without any headaches. Is it normal that I only have the option of the sound being at full blast or muted? I tried the keyboard volume control and the volume in the menu bar with no luck. Also, would you mind elaborating on your disable enable trick for the wireless. I have the airport icon and the device and vendor id are set correctly but I am unable to turn on the airport card. I tried deleting the device in the network preference pane, then I restarted to the bios, disabled the card, rebooted to SL, rebooted to bios, reenabled the card, rebooted back into SL, and adding the device back in network preferences with no luck.

@niesz

Please post you DSDT.aml. I went back thru the thread. And only found two dsdt files. The rest in the file packs are those. If your using Studio_14z_OSX_Install_Files.zip. Then that's the one Im using. Are you sure sleep works when you close the lid. What is your power saving's set to(How many minute's).

@everyone else

Sleep works for me w/o any sleep kexts when I close the lid. Using a DSDT similar to the ones posted here (nothing changed in any of the power management areas). I STILL don't have backlight control, however.

Thanks a ton darkpoe, I used the link you provided and I was able to install and have sound working without any headaches. Is it normal that I only have the option of the sound being at full blast or muted? I tried the keyboard volume control and the volume in the menu bar with no luck. Also, would you mind elaborating on your disable enable trick for the wireless. I have the airport icon and the device and vendor id are set correctly but I am unable to turn on the airport card. I tried deleting the device in the network preference pane, then I restarted to the bios, disabled the card, rebooted to SL, rebooted to bios, reenabled the card, rebooted back into SL, and adding the device back in network preferences with no luck.

Something is wrong if your volume control doesn't work properly. I have a full range of adjustment from both the menu bar and the keyboard. While I don't have the same wireless card as you, this is the first I've heard of needing to play tricks to get it enabled. Stupid question - have you tried enabling the wireless from the keyboard Fn shortcut?

EDIT: It might be helpful if people posted their BIOS versions. I'm on A03.

Perfectmess, tell me what does it say under airport in System Profiler, and did you put the IO80211Family.Kext in your Extra/Extensions (from earlier in this thread) and i used the modded VooDooPS2Trackpad kext and injected into the PS2Controller Kext, it fixed the keyboard sound controls for me with everything updated. I also turned off the Wireless Switch Control in the bios.. I left out that step, i also turned off WWAN completely since i Dont have one.. i Dont think that would affect, but try the wireless switch control. Im going to attach my Extra Folder, it has in it also the Dsdt.aml from this thread that works well, it has sleep enabler for 10.6.2, and working voodoops2 and bt and the newest kext utility that works well for the extras folder (make the new kext caches)

It has a modded io80211 for just 1397 not 1515n (i dont think it is... i didnt put it back in to test).. but make sure you have 10.6.2 installed :D

So this download is actually all my kexts im using, my dsdt.aml and the kext utility that works well with sl :D

Mediafire Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjujzjfz4fr

@niesz

@everyone else

I don't take any credit for this dsdt.aml. I didn't do the edit's it was one that i got from the thread not sure who posted it, i think it was westep23 but not sure. If it wasn't I am sorry for not giving you credit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been working hard at trying to get the screen dim to work properly. i need a good dsdt.dsl to compile the .aml, if any one like moogle or westep23 still has there files please post them so i can look at them and see if i can get this screen working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSDT.aml.zip

@darkpoe

Thanks a lot for everything. Using the files you attached and the link I was able to get everything working perfectly. Now the only thing I can't get working is the update to 10.6.2 but I'll play with it a little more and see if I can get it to stop crashing some other day.

@darkpoe

Thanks a lot for everything. Using the files you attached and the link I was able to get everything working perfectly. Now the only thing I can't get working is the update to 10.6.2 but I'll play with it a little more and see if I can get it to stop crashing some other day.

remove sleep enabler for now and use 10.6.2 Combo update :wallbash:

and dont thank me, thank the people in this thread, mmugle, gaooo and everyone else

I'm kind of surprised to see that this thread is still alive and well. For some reason I stopped getting subscription emails, but I'll fix that later.

Seems like a lot more people are asking about how to install SL, so I updated the first sentence of the first post to say read the entire thread to know how to install snow leopard ;)

I probably won't be touching my OSX install any time soon since I'm quite content with what I have (well, I'm also busy with classes). Best of luck to all of you who are still working on this!

New sound file. No errors I think.HDAIDT.kext.zip

Nice work. I just tried it didn't see any errors.

Still looking for someone to post their .dsl so i can work on the screen dim issue. I tried decompiling from a DSDT.aml but it gives to many errors. so i thought go straight to the source. If anyone has a .dsl with all the fixes so far please post it so i can work on the screen dim issue