Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Nice work. I just tried it didn't see any errors.

Still looking for someone to post their .dsl so i can work on the screen dim issue. I tried decompiling from a DSDT.aml but it gives to many errors. so i thought go straight to the source. If anyone has a .dsl with all the fixes so far please post it so i can work on the screen dim issue

Do your brightness control button's not work either? .dsl file as requested.

14z.new.dsl.zip

Do your brightness control button's not work either? .dsl file as requested.

14z.new.dsl.zip

In my research i am finding that when mac loads it takes control of the brightness control and doesn't let go. Like with some other laptops on this forum you can get around this with hacks to a kext. I am currently looking into this. Basicly stop mac from taking control of the brightness control.

To test this theory I started my laptop and when straight to the bios. Held fn tap f4 to lower brightness and f5 to increase. This works meaning that the system does it without software, so all we need to figure out is how to tell mac not to touch the brightness controls.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEW........

Temp fix. If you go straight to the bios and do as i said in my testing hold the fn key tap f4 or f5 you can set your screen brightness and it will stay this way when mac boots!!!!!! YEY some quick fixes.

P.S----- i will be testing my battery life now that i can change the brightness control. Hope to get a little better life.

In my research i am finding that when mac loads it takes control of the brightness control and doesn't let go. Like with some other laptops on this forum you can get around this with hacks to a kext. I am currently looking into this. Basicly stop mac from taking control of the brightness control.

To test this theory I started my laptop and when straight to the bios. Held fn tap f4 to lower brightness and f5 to increase. This works meaning that the system does it without software, so all we need to figure out is how to tell mac not to touch the brightness controls.

NOW FOR THE GOOD NEW........

Temp fix. If you go straight to the bios and do as i said in my testing hold the fn key tap f4 or f5 you can set your screen brightness and it will stay this way when mac boots!!!!!! YEY some quick fixes.

P.S----- i will be testing my battery life now that i can change the brightness control. Hope to get a little better life.

hate to say but with the kexts i posted (the ones compiled from this thread, and the dsdt from this thread) , i have the a03 bios and the 720p screen and well.. my brightness controls work .. and for anyone who downloads the post i did with kexts it does not include the new hdaidt kext that was posted afterwards. I do have it set for Multimedia keys in my bios and not Fn mode! i havent checked to see if thats a different..

hate to say but with the kexts i posted (the ones compiled from this thread, and the dsdt from this thread) , i have the a03 bios and the 720p screen and well.. my brightness controls work .. and for anyone who downloads the post i did with kexts it does not include the new hdaidt kext that was posted afterwards. I do have it set for Multimedia keys in my bios and not Fn mode! i havent checked to see if thats a different..

Sweet that make it so much easier.

Ok i am having some trouble with it. I have placed the dsdt and placed all the kext and then run the kext util. but still no go on the brightness control. Do you have the lit keyboard? I do not. I assume your are running 64 bit. Not sure what i am doing differently.

------------------------------------

EDIT:

Bios revision A04 is now out, and just upgraded.

My key's work too. Alway's have. Backlit keyboard. Hum I'm thinking it's the bios revision's.

A01 = No lid sleep (All other sleep option's work and lid wake), brightness key's work.

A03= Lid sleep works, brightness key's don't work.

Anyone deny or confirm this. I was gonna update to A03 but I dont have windows so it's gonna be a pain in the arse. Maybe one of you duel boot guy's could downgrade back to A01 and test the theory.

Sweet that make it so much easier.

Ok i am having some trouble with it. I have placed the dsdt and placed all the kext and then run the kext util. but still no go on the brightness control. Do you have the lit keyboard? I do not. I assume your are running 64 bit. Not sure what i am doing differently.

------------------------------------

EDIT:

Bios revision A04 is now out, and just upgraded.

I lied im on Bios A01... my brain was fried :rolleyes:

My key's work too. Alway's have. Backlit keyboard. Hum I'm thinking it's the bios revision's.

A01 = No lid sleep (All other sleep option's work and lid wake), brightness key's work.

A03= Lid sleep works, brightness key's don't work.

Anyone deny or confirm this. I was gonna update to A03 but I dont have windows so it's gonna be a pain in the arse. Maybe one of you duel boot guy's could downgrade back to A01 and test the theory.

I am a01, and by lid sleep you mean deep sleep right... I close my lid , my screen dims out and after like 30 seconds the power button goes bright and dark. and my brightness keys work on a01 lol

and if anyone feels creative they can dissassemble the two bios, pull the keyboard controller from one and maybe swap to another one and flash :-p

ok people, I trying to decide between this or the macbook pro 13".

Mostly due to the studio 14z having these two things expressCard slot & eSata, but I need people here to confirm if this works inside OSX or not.. if there are issues with them running then I will just move forward with the macbook. I would also like to know if firewire works. Please!! o.o

ok people, I trying to decide between this or the macbook pro 13".

Mostly due to the studio 14z having these two things expressCard slot & eSata, but I need people here to confirm if this works inside OSX or not.. if there are issues with them running then I will just move forward with the macbook. I would also like to know if firewire works. Please!! o.o

if you are looking for stuff to just work buy a macbook.. that is not the intent of a HACKintosh, spend $700 more for the same hardware (ok.. it has an optical drive, $600)

darkpoe, I have been doing this since the beginning of intel macs, and I have fixed multiple dsdt files as well, but the fact of the matter is that I want/need a portable 13-14" laptop running OSX but I also need eSata. I have several hard drives that I dock in an eSata adapter and other external drives with eSata and usb only and I need to write fast.

I don't mind spending some time tinkering with this stuff but I need to know what is and is not working. If the expressCard slot, eSata and firewire is not functional then yea I am going to pass on this because I do not make buying decisions on promises and potential. At the end of the day it will either work for what I need to do or it doesn't and if it doesn't do it now then I don't care to go on your ride. It may seem kind of harsh and insulting to some of the people that do this as a hobby, but sadly sometimes I don't always have the luxury of having patience for this type of thing. I also do not like the thought of Apple bringing eSata to the masses 2-3 months AFTER I buy a macbook.

I understand this is the reality of things and how it works, so there is no need in trying to talk down to me for expressing my feelings in these matters. If you can help me great, if you can't waste your flaming for someone else. Also the macbook pro I am looking at is only $471 more.. but like I said no eSata really bugs me.. I could do without an expressCard. (actually if they kept an expressCard then I could add eSata easily enough).

Sadly you cannot even tell me to suck it up and get a 15" because only the monstrous 17" have expresscard slots and that is totally out of the question based on both price and size.

darkpoe, I have been doing this since the beginning of intel macs, and I have fixed multiple dsdt files as well, but the fact of the matter is that I want/need a portable 13-14" laptop running OSX but I also need eSata. I have several hard drives that I dock in an eSata adapter and other external drives with eSata and usb only and I need to write fast.

I don't mind spending some time tinkering with this stuff but I need to know what is and is not working. If the expressCard slot, eSata and firewire is not functional then yea I am going to pass on this because I do not make buying decisions on promises and potential. At the end of the day it will either work for what I need to do or it doesn't and if it doesn't do it now then I don't care to go on your ride. It may seem kind of harsh and insulting to some of the people that do this as a hobby, but sadly sometimes I don't always have the luxury of having patience for this type of thing. I also do not like the thought of Apple bringing eSata to the masses 2-3 months AFTER I buy a macbook.

I understand this is the reality of things and how it works, so there is no need in trying to talk down to me for expressing my feelings in these matters. If you can help me great, if you can't waste your flaming for someone else. Also the macbook pro I am looking at is only $471 more.. but like I said no eSata really bugs me.. I could do without an expressCard. (actually if they kept an expressCard then I could add eSata easily enough).

Sadly you cannot even tell me to suck it up and get a 15" because only the monstrous 17" have expresscard slots and that is totally out of the question based on both price and size.

Firewire definitely works, I hooked up an old PowerBook in target mode and copied stuff to its HD. I'm 90% certain I've plugged an eSATA drive in and it worked (I can double check when I get home). I don't have any ExpressCards to try so I can't comment there. Everything else Just Works for me after setting up the right DSDT and kexts (other than brightness control).

mmoogle, thanks for the good news! I am glad to hear firewire does indeed work, and now I just await for eSata confirmation. As long as both of those things are a go and I can put this laptop to sleep (which seems to be a yes) and wake, then I will feel really good about it. I can live without expressCard slot functionality as long as eSata works, otherwise I'll need expressCard slot working if eSata does not work.

Please let us know what you find out when you get home =). I really like the build quality of the macbooks and I don't mind spending the extra cash to get one, but like I said it just does not have the ports I need built in and which I also value higher than a built in burner (I already have an external dvd burner). So I sacrifice build quality & a dvd burner for the ports & features I want & I save money.. does not sound like too bad of a sacrifice to me..

I lied im on Bios A01... my brain was fried :fiery:

I am a01, and by lid sleep you mean deep sleep right... I close my lid , my screen dims out and after like 30 seconds the power button goes bright and dark. and my brightness keys work on a01 lol

and if anyone feels creative they can dissassemble the two bios, pull the keyboard controller from one and maybe swap to another one and flash :-p

DRUM ROLL PLEASE.................

Bios REV. A04 brightness controls work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along with the Lid sleep working.

O happy day

EDIT:

After booting Windows 7 Brightness keys do not work. 11/23/09

DRUM ROLL PLEASE.................

Bios REV. A04 brightness controls work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along with the Lid sleep working.

O happy day

10.6.2, Bios A04

Lid sleep still works

Brightness controls still don't :-/ in either Fn Key mode or Multimedia Key mode

10.6.2, Bios A04

Lid sleep still works

Brightness controls still don't :-/ in either Fn Key mode or Multimedia Key mode

do you have a backlit keyboard?

I have switched most everything to the stuff darkpoe posted. this may help also

I have both actually (replaced the non-backlit version with the backlit). Neither of them do brightness control.

When i first went to a04 i don't think mine worked either. I booted the next day and it worked. i am not sure what i did differently, but it did work. Have you tried all the kext and dsdt that darkpoe had posted? Try booting windows and make sure you don't have the quickset and see if you can change the brightness control. Then boot into bios and hold the fn key and see if you can change it. You may even try to load the factory presets in bios. (i remember i did this)

A04 updates.

My voodoobattery.kext sometimes doesn't load properly now. I am thinking that the dsdt needs some changes to accurately represent the bios but i could be wrong.

mmoogle, thanks for the good news! I am glad to hear firewire does indeed work, and now I just await for eSata confirmation. As long as both of those things are a go and I can put this laptop to sleep (which seems to be a yes) and wake, then I will feel really good about it. I can live without expressCard slot functionality as long as eSata works, otherwise I'll need expressCard slot working if eSata does not work.

Please let us know what you find out when you get home =). I really like the build quality of the macbooks and I don't mind spending the extra cash to get one, but like I said it just does not have the ports I need built in and which I also value higher than a built in burner (I already have an external dvd burner). So I sacrifice build quality & a dvd burner for the ports & features I want & I save money.. does not sound like too bad of a sacrifice to me..

Glitch, I was far from trying to talk down to you, I don't know your experience with osx86 from your post and I've just seen the freak out when people get it working from an install and totally freak out when they patched 10.5.6 and watched it melt down and curse me out for recommending it to them. (Thats a whole other story) The point I was trying to express which came out poorly is yeah everything is seeming to Just work right now, but its not going to ever be as smooth as a true mac obviously.

I have both actually (replaced the non-backlit version with the backlit). Neither of them do brightness control.

Something weird is going on now.

I booted windows. changed the time, because it always gets messed up. Put the laptop in hibernator or sleep i can't remember. Started it this morning restarted in Snow Leopard and now the brightness controls don't work anymore :)

Something weird is going on now.

I booted windows. changed the time, because it always gets messed up.

Windows 7 actually fixed this finally, you can set it to UTC and things won't break like they did in Vista and XP. Set the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
   "RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Windows 7 actually fixed this finally, you can set it to UTC and things won't break like they did in Vista and XP. Set the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
	"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Cool i didn't even know that there was a fix that this was even a problem

Thank you

I don't have a fix. But I never booted windows on my 14z till today. And I never had trouble with the key's. I installed WinXP to update the the bios to A04. Still didn't have any trouble with the key's. Then I installed Vista 64bit. XP didn't like the 14z to much. Now my brightness key's don't work either. It's like they used to be hardware controlled now there software controlled. I think it's going to be a DSDT fix or a ps2keyboard.kext. My lid sleep still dosn't work. Which is weird seeing that most of you guy's are using a DSDT ripped from my 14z that bcc9 edited. I'm on vacation this week so I hope to have to find a fix for brightness key's.

I don't have a fix. But I never booted windows on my 14z till today. And I never had trouble with the key's. I installed WinXP to update the the bios to A04. Still didn't have any trouble with the key's. Then I installed Vista 64bit. XP didn't like the 14z to much. Now my brightness key's don't work either. It's like they used to be hardware controlled now there software controlled. I think it's going to be a DSDT fix or a ps2keyboard.kext. My lid sleep still dosn't work. Which is weird seeing that most of you guy's are using a DSDT ripped from my 14z that bcc9 edited. I'm on vacation this week so I hope to have to find a fix for brightness key's.

Maybe someone with the A01 bios could post their DSDT, and then we could determine the difference between the two.

I have also edited my original post about a04 and the brightness keys working. It now says something about if you boot windows you will lose the brightness controls.

Maybe someone with the A01 bios could post their DSDT, and then we could determine the difference between the two.

The original DSDT that was posted here was from A01. I've looked at the differences between A01 and A03 and from what I recall the only significant changes were in Windows-specific sections. The difference between A03 and A04 is two lines, something related to the wakeup event.