Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Cool, did you figure out volume control for the built-in mic?

I assume you see the same AppleHDA assertion messages at boot time as with the 1340.

No I havn't even looked at the mic part yet. I don't even if it records. I just seen the gain go up and down when I talked. Yes I get assertion errors that's why I asked you about it in the other post. I wasn't sure if I needed to get rid of those to get sound to work or If they were just side effects. By looking at the errors I think that it's hard coded in the binary hda. So the only way to get rid of them is to hexedit. But I'm still reading over all the HDA and IDT specs to try and figure something out.

Does anyone's backlight brightness control work once booted into SL? Mine's stuck at medium brightness and I can't adjust it via the keyboard hotkeys or anywhere in the GUI.

Mine does never had any problem with it. All my "Fn" key's work even the play pause. But I dont have any controls in the OS.

Also removed the digital nid since I dont think we have digital out.

I'm gonna clean this up a bit, and then start on hdmi audio

For the 1340, I added the HDMI codec and in the process fixed all the assertions one would see at startup and also I think I've fixed the panic. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263809

I don't see HDMI audio output when I plug in HDMI and check sound preferences. I must be really close though, maybe you can see what I did wrong?

Here's a new kext that gets rid of all assertion errors and panics (So far).HDAIDT.kext.zip

Still cant get rid of the noise it make's every once and while. I know it's from the amp powering up and powering down. I just dont know how to tell applehda how to control it.

For the 1340, I added the HDMI codec and in the process fixed all the assertions one would see at startup and also I think I've fixed the panic. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263809

I don't see HDMI audio output when I plug in HDMI and check sound preferences. I must be really close though, maybe you can see what I did wrong?

I couldn't get it working either. The codec that It's listed under is from the macbookpro 5,5 (new 13in.). It dosn't even have HDMI out. Im wondering it's only added to keep pathmap error's from showing up there. I did see somebody had hdmi working somewhere but I cant find it now. It was showed as two devices under system profiler. But I dont know if we could go that route since It's just two diffrent codecs.

I couldn't get it working either. The codec that It's listed under is from the macbookpro 5,5 (new 13in.). It dosn't even have HDMI out. Im wondering it's only added to keep pathmap error's from showing up there. I did see somebody had hdmi working somewhere but I cant find it now. It was showed as two devices under system profiler. But I dont know if we could go that route since It's just two diffrent codecs.
I read that the apple tv uses hdmi audio as well. I saw an insanleymac post about working hdmi audio but it looked like a user misunderstanding another's post where they had working audio on a system with hdmi (but not via the hdmi port).

I tried wrestling with CodecAddressFilterArray and CodecAddressMask and it *seems* to only be masking out codec #3, not providing a rule to match it. So I think I was premature in thinking both codecs were initialized. Perhaps someone could decipher AppleHDAController::setCodecAddressMask(). I don't have a real use for HDMI audio right now so I'm not volunteering.

In response to the several messages above:

Fn button works for me fine, but I'm using regular Leo 10.5.8, not SL.

westep23's HDAIDT.kext does not enable sound for me. Is it specifically for SL, not regular Leo? I am using bcc9's DSDT.aml as well. No audio output is found.

It is nice to hear you guys got sound working under SL. Just getting the regular audio input/output working is really good! HDMI sound output would be a plus, but just having regular sound is enough for most I think :blink:

In response to the several messages above:

Fn button works for me fine, but I'm using regular Leo 10.5.8, not SL.

westep23's HDAIDT.kext does not enable sound for me. Is it specifically for SL, not regular Leo? I am using bcc9's DSDT.aml as well. No audio output is found.

It is nice to hear you guys got sound working under SL. Just getting the regular audio input/output working is really good! HDMI sound output would be a plus, but just having regular sound is enough for most I think :)

Are you using a sound-modified DSDT? Otherwise AppleHDA.kext won't load. You can probably use one of the HDAenabler.kexts floating around, too. All of my Fn buttons work EXCEPT the brightness controls, for some reason.

Here's my DSDT.aml. I also added a fix for the brightness to dim when you unplug the a/c adapter.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hmm... that doesn't seem to make any difference for me under SL.

byusinger84, the Dell 1515 works under 2 conditions for me - under SL you have to run in 32 bit mode as there aren't 64bit Atheros kexts, and I had to modify the info.plist to include the correct PCI id.

Thank you very much westep23. The audio input and output works now! Of course, HDMI audio probably doesn't work, but I think getting the internal sound is more important!

Thanks a lot for your continuous work on it! Also thanks to bcc9 and mmoogle for all your guys help!

I'll be updating the first post to list the necessary steps to get everything to work :)

BTW, I do see many assertions regarding AppleHDA at boot up, but it doesn't seem to affect anything, at least I don't seem to notice it.

EDIT: Finished updating the first post with more information. While it isn't a step by step guide, it does present an overview of what should be done. Should be helpful for anyone who knows at least the basics of installing OSX.

Here's my DSDT.aml. I also added a fix for the brightness to dim when you unplug the a/c adapter.

DSDT.aml.zip

I thought I'd add my setup for getting everything working under SL. Stuff you're going to need (some of it is in this thread):

• The most recent modified DSDT in this thread- this will make graphics work and make AppleHDA.kext load.
  • Realtek1000.kext - For onboard wired ethernet. There's a built-in Realtek kext that loads but doesn't work claiming a firmware version error.
  • The most recent HDAIDT.kext in this thread- This sets up the properties for AppleHDA.kext so sound works properly.
  • VoodooPower.kext and VoodooBattery.kext - Makes the battery and power management work.
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext and associated files - Makes the trackpad work nice. There is even a Trackpad pref pane that will let you adjust scrolling, etc. The trackpad is an Alps model.
  • The standard bunch of SL kexts needed for a Hackintosh. Primarily the Apple power management disabler kext, and the FakeSMC kext.
  • I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 currently to dual boot between SL and Windows 7 x64.

General notes:

• You'll need to edit the .plist in the AirPortAtheros kext to include the right PCI id if you have the N card. This will also require you to run with a 32bit kernel, as Apple (so far) doesn't provide 64bit Atheros drivers.
  • The DSDT is all that's needed to get graphics working on my 720p display.
  • Backlit keyboard works w/o needing anything special. All the Fn+ keys work, except for backlight control.
  • I don't have bluetooth (yet - UPS is delivering the module to me soon) but all you should need are the DellBluetoothHCI kext and the BroadcomUSBBluetooth kext to get it working. I'll update when I get the card installed with my results.
  • I updated to 10.6.1 w/o any problems. iTunes 9 works fine as well. Library sharing/Bonjour works fine over wireless, I haven't tried wired.
  • HDMI seems to work fine (other than audio) - I've run a secondary display on my HDTV at 1080p without problems.

Thanks a lot to everyone in this thread for tips and modified files, etc!

Edit: Bluetooth works fine. I had to install the bluetooth mode changer kext to get it to show up. Its attached in one of my later posts. The instructions in the OP work, but the kext is a much nicer solution.

Thanks for the info on SL, I updated my first post to include a link to your post above :rolleyes:

I thought I'd add my setup for getting everything working under SL. Stuff you're going to need (some of it is in this thread):

• The most recent modified DSDT in this thread- this will make graphics work and make AppleHDA.kext load.
  • Realtek1000.kext - For onboard wired ethernet. There's a built-in Realtek kext that loads but doesn't work claiming a firmware version error.
  • The most recent HDAIDT.kext in this thread- This sets up the properties for AppleHDA.kext so sound works properly.
  • VoodooPower.kext and VoodooBattery.kext - Makes the battery and power management work.
  • VoodooPS2.kext and associated files - Makes the trackpad work nice. There is even a Trackpad pref pane that will let you adjust scrolling, etc. The trackpad is an Alps model.
  • The standard bunch of SL kexts needed for a Hackintosh. Primarily the Apple power management disabler kext, and the FakeSMC kext.
  • I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 currently to dual boot between SL and Windows 7 x64.

General notes:

• You'll need to edit the .plist in the AirPortAtheros kext to include the right PCI id if you have the N card. This will also require you to run with a 32bit kernel, as Apple (so far) doesn't provide 64bit Atheros drivers.
  • Backlit keyboard works w/o needing anything special. All the Fn+ keys work, except for backlight control.
  • I don't have bluetooth (yet - UPS is delivering the module to me soon) but all you should need are the DellBluetoothHCI kext and the BroadcomUSBBluetooth kext to get it working. I'll update when I get the card installed with my results.
  • I updated to 10.6.1 w/o any problems. iTunes 9 works fine as well. Library sharing/Bonjour works fine over wireless, I haven't tried wired.
  • HDMI seems to work fine (other than audio) - I've run a secondary display on my HDTV at 1080p without problems.

BTW, I do see many assertions regarding AppleHDA at boot up, but it doesn't seem to affect anything, at least I don't seem to notice it.

Your on Leopard right. I didn't test on leopard so that maybe why you get assertion error's. This weekend I'll see if I can get one w/o error's for leopard. It shouldn't affect anything. It's probley because the driver names are diffrent in SL. Thanks for updateing the first post.

[*]VoodooPS2.kext and associated files - Makes the trackpad work nice. There is even a Trackpad pref pane that will let you adjust scrolling, etc. The trackpad is an Alps model.

Which version are you using. Because the voodoo pref pane dosn't work for me. I wonder if you have a diffrent brand keyboard then we do. That maybe why your brightness key's dont work. There's a section in the DSDT for ps2 devices. I'll have a look at it.

Also I have a updated hdaidt.kext with the externel mic working. (I think) But I don't have a way to test it. So If somebody needs it let me know and I'll upload it.

Your on Leopard right. I didn't test on leopard so that maybe why you get assertion error's. This weekend I'll see if I can get one w/o error's for leopard. It shouldn't affect anything. It's probley because the driver names are diffrent in SL. Thanks for updateing the first post.

Yes I'm on regular Leo. It doesn't affect anything, so I don't really mind it.

Which version are you using. Because the voodoo pref pane dosn't work for me. I wonder if you have a diffrent brand keyboard then we do. That maybe why your brightness key's dont work. There's a section in the DSDT for ps2 devices. I'll have a look at it.

I have the ALPS touchpad, but the voodoo pref pane doesn't work for me either. Someone in the voodoo PS2 forums is posting revisions to the VoodooPS2Trackpad to make it work better for the ALPS trackpad, but I haven't been keeping up with them. The last time I tried, the developer got two finger scrolling working. But there's so much sensitivity issues with the trackpad, and without the pref pane to adjust them, the trackpad is kind of unusable :/

Also I have a updated hdaidt.kext with the externel mic working. (I think) But I don't have a way to test it. So If somebody needs it let me know and I'll upload it.

Are you saying HDAIDT kext didn't have the external mic working before? Cause in regular Leo, the HDAIDT that you provided before has the mic working just fine. Tested it using Audacity, the open source sound editor.

So to install SL do we install like iatkos v7 first, then install SL on top of it?

I also have a Studio 14z, but I have the 1515n card, so SL seems to be the only way :blush:

No, iATKOS v7 is regular Leo, just customized/hacked to work for PCs.

You install SL straight off. I don't know the steps for SL, so of course I can't give much details for it.

Mr Fuzz, which wireless card do you have? I can't get mine to work. I have the 1515, so that may be why. Do you know how or does anyone know how to get that working?

I have the Dell 1397. It is a Broadcom chipset and most Broadcom chipsets work very well with OS X.

• VoodooPS2.kext and associated files - Makes the trackpad work nice. There is even a Trackpad pref pane that will let you adjust scrolling, etc. The trackpad is an Alps model.

General notes:

Great stuff man. Can you provide all the files you used to get a successful SL install (including the "standard bunch of SL kexts needed for a Hackintosh"). Also, I can't seem to get the trackpad to work (I don't have the voodoops2.kext all I have is voodoops2controller.kext.

Yes I'm on regular Leo. It doesn't affect anything, so I don't really mind it.

Thats good because I didn't have time to check it out this weekend. Although I did look at the 10.5.8 HDA kext and the driver names are the same. So it's weird that your getting them.

Are you saying HDAIDT kext didn't have the external mic working before? Cause in regular Leo, the HDAIDT that you provided before has the mic working just fine. Tested it using Audacity, the open source sound editor.

The line-in work's? Third port back on the right? I know the Internal Mic work's but I was working on getting all the ports going. What about the second headphone jack?

Also just incase nobody knows. If you set model as MacBookAir1,1 or MacBookAir2,1 and have another Mac/Hackintosh CD Sharing works.

Attached are some of the Kexts I'm using for SL, if anyone wants them.

14zkextSL.zip

Can you dump your dsdt. You'll have to boot without a dsdt.aml or it will just dump that one. I want to compare the PS2 device section.

Can you dump your dsdt. You'll have to boot without a dsdt.aml or it will just dump that one. I want to compare the PS2 device section.

Here's a dump I made from Windows the other day. I'm running BIOS A03 which looks like it made a few minor changes in the DSDT from A01. I put in the changes from the DSDTs posted here into the A03 DSDT but it didn't seem to make any difference. I also used to have the non-backlit keyboard and it also couldn't control the LCD backlight either, FWIW.

DSDT.txt

Here's a dump I made from Windows the other day. I'm running BIOS A03 which looks like it made a few minor changes in the DSDT from A01. I put in the changes from the DSDTs posted here into the A03 DSDT but it didn't seem to make any difference. I also used to have the non-backlit keyboard and it also couldn't control the LCD backlight either, FWIW.

DSDT.txt

mmoogle, which files specifically are you using to get your keyboard and trackpad working properly. Please list all the files for that.