Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've had the this system running for a while now, but there's one that that's always bothered me and I'm wondering if there's a better option available.

Currently have the 32-bit trackpad installed in system preferences and on occasion, the trackpad will go sporadic. Anybody have any luck with this? let me know! =D

Other than that though, everything seems to be running fine on 10.6.2 other than the occasional speaker pop and the lack of volume adjustment on audio input

personally I find the voodoops2trackpad kext that was posted here completely unusable at least for me and I have found the voodoops2controller kext to actually work.. kinda but it is sporadic imo so I assume you are talking about it? Also for the voodoops2controller to work, it appears like you have to replace Trackpad.prefpane in Library/PreferencePane/ file (I backed up the original apple Trackpad.prefpane). I know some here say they can scroll with it, but I never got scrolling working and it appears like it is the scroll areas that cause the sporadic issues, if your finger goes across them to the edge of the trackpad the cursor then immediately travels back to its original position which is irritating to say the least.

So I am just using ApplePS2Controller.kext with AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. Here are the kexts I am currently using. Also sometimes the tap-click works and sometimes it doesn't.. I think lancorp mentioned the issue as well and how to do something in System Preferences to get it working again temporarily.

http://www.multiupload.com/QHTR6LKWFE

I basically took everything I had in S/L/E and I am running it in EE.. Although inside SLE I think there is a realtek kext inside the IONetworkingFamily kext file (right-click show package -> Contents -> Plugin) that needs deleting or you could just delete the entire IONetworkingFamily kext from SLE (If you don't do one of those two then even if you have the modified IONetworkingFamily kext in EE, it will not work because of the SLE kext has a conflicting realtek driver in it). Also I have copied IO80211Family into SLE as well because in the rare instance I need to boot into Safe mode I would prefer to have my wireless working!!

Good Luck everyone!

Hi all,

Can anybody answer what version of Chameleon everyone is using and what boot CD you are using to install OSX? I'm having the weirdest problems getting it to boot. I can boot off of a boot CD (Boot-132 or Empire EFI), but if I install Chameleon, I can't get OSX to boot properly. I just get the grey circle spinning at startup. I've tried adding the posted DSDT.aml files, as well as the /Extras folders that people have posted. I've tried it without those as well, and I still can't boot into OSX without a CD.

Are there some kexts that need to be removed for OSX to start on the 14z?

Anyone, please. I'm banging my head agains the wall here.

We all had to do that at some point during our OSX installs.

Sorry, but I don't have much info yet. Not until I have time to try installing SL over this weekend.

We all had to do that at some point during our OSX installs.

Sorry, but I don't have much info yet. Not until I have time to try installing SL over this weekend.

Yeah, but it's frustrating because I thought I got through the learning curve with my Inspiron 1720. I thought this would be easier.

Booting with -x -v, the last thing I see before it just hangs is this:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

launchchctl: Please convert the following to launchd; /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

systemShutdown false

Waiting for DSMOS

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

WARNING - ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - no sub-config match for MacBookPro4,1 with 3 p-states, using default stepper instead.

Also, I saw something back in the post about kexts that could be removed from EE and SLE, and them being colored, but I never saw the original reference. Does anybody know what that is about? I know there has to be a ton of kexts that aren't used on our specific notebooks.

Is there a way to determine which ones are being used and which one's aren't?

I just got my HD delivered, so after I try installing SL this weekend, I'll update the front page with all the new info I find. All the appropriate stuff, like DSDT, kexts, etc.

Sweet! I'm getting a 14z soon and was planning to dual boot SL. Thanks for putting this all together for us!

Yeah, but it's frustrating because I thought I got through the learning curve with my Inspiron 1720. I thought this would be easier.

Booting with -x -v, the last thing I see before it just hangs is this:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

launchchctl: Please convert the following to launchd; /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

systemShutdown false

Waiting for DSMOS

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

WARNING - ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - no sub-config match for MacBookPro4,1 with 3 p-states, using default stepper instead.

Do you have FakeSMC.kext loading up anywhere? I had a few problems until I put that in S/L/E. Additionally, what SMBios are you running?

As for my problems-- I realized (and probably skimmed over this fact in this thread) that IntelCPUManagement alone works for speedstepping, and VoodooPower is completely unnecessary, as it makes the CPU run even hotter.

I'm really trying to get Voodoops2Controller.kext to load, but it does not load at startup or anything. ApplePS2Controller and ACPInub don't show up in loaded kexts either... so I'm a bit curious as to how my mouse is working already, and why voodooPS2Controller isn't working. It seems that it's a pretty widespread project... can somebody please post one that works on their system, and gives two finger scrolling?

I just wanted to update everyone on my wired Ethernet problem. Thanks to some very helpful information from BigDog1, I can happily report that I now have my wired Ethernet WORKING! :)

According to BigDog1 (who had exactly the same problem and symptoms I did), all that was needed was a different Realtek kext file, namely, RealtekR1000SL.kext. A quick Google search found this site with the file.

I downloaded it, copied it to the E/E folder, removed the old RealtekR1000.kext (in my case it was embedded in IONetworkingFamily.kext), ran the kextutility to fix permission and create new mkext file, rebooted, and VOILA!! Working Ethernet!

I can hardly believe it!

The only odd thing is, in System Profiler, under Software/Extensions, there is no listing for my RealtekR1000SL.kext file, or any of the kexts that are in my E/E folder. Should they be listed in System Profiler/Software/Extensions?

Thanks again to all that helped!

Do you have FakeSMC.kext loading up anywhere? I had a few problems until I put that in S/L/E. Additionally, what SMBios are you running?

As for my problems-- I realized (and probably skimmed over this fact in this thread) that IntelCPUManagement alone works for speedstepping, and VoodooPower is completely unnecessary, as it makes the CPU run even hotter.

I'm really trying to get Voodoops2Controller.kext to load, but it does not load at startup or anything. ApplePS2Controller and ACPInub don't show up in loaded kexts either... so I'm a bit curious as to how my mouse is working already, and why voodooPS2Controller isn't working. It seems that it's a pretty widespread project... can somebody please post one that works on their system, and gives two finger scrolling?

Yeah, I put FakeSMC in last night, and I am now able to boot straight from the hard drive now.

I have most things working, but I haven't' tested everything yet. My wifi (dell 1515 N) is working, ethernet is working, sound is working, backlit keyboard is working. I'm not sure if the speed stepping is working. If I unplug my power cord, the power indicator seems to go down pretty rapidly, and indicates about 2:40 minutes of power. I know I should be getting closer to 3:30 to 4 hours of battery power off of the 6 cell battery.

Also, sleep doesn't seem to work right. Well, at least it won't come out of sleep.

How do I tell what kexts are loaded, and which one's I can get rid of?

Hello to all! I have been trying to install SL on my 14z for quite some time but I keep failing. I currently have the 1515 card so SL is the only way to go. I also have a t6500 and 3gb ram. Could somebody be nice (an patient) enough to make a tutorial on how to install SL on the 14z with step-by-step directions and the correct things to get it to work? (I have no idea how to install KEXTS) :)

HDAIDT.kext.zip

Here's a updated 10.6.2 AppleHDA Legacy.kext I only get one error. Due to "hda-gfx" this is new. I have to look into this weekend. The above didn't work for me. I had no input's and output's.

For Realtek1000

Try this one. You'll need to remove the Apple 8169 kext. I don't think I ever tested in 64bit but it's a 64bit kext.

RealtekR1000.kext.zip

Which kext is the Apple 8169 that needs to be removed? I'm looking through the SLE folder and I don't see one in there.

Which kext is the Apple 8169 that needs to be removed? I'm looking through the SLE folder and I don't see one in there.

he is referring to a kext inside the IONetworkingFamily.kext file (right-click it Show Package -> Contents -> Plugins->) I think and you should find it.

Yeah, I put FakeSMC in last night, and I am now able to boot straight from the hard drive now.

I have most things working, but I haven't' tested everything yet. My wifi (dell 1515 N) is working, ethernet is working, sound is working, backlit keyboard is working. I'm not sure if the speed stepping is working. If I unplug my power cord, the power indicator seems to go down pretty rapidly, and indicates about 2:40 minutes of power. I know I should be getting closer to 3:30 to 4 hours of battery power off of the 6 cell battery.

Also, sleep doesn't seem to work right. Well, at least it won't come out of sleep.

How do I tell what kexts are loaded, and which one's I can get rid of?

Not really.. on an 8 cell you would inside OSX, but on a 6 cell 2:40 is probably right... Sad truth is.. Windows 7 is more power efficient than OSX.

I just wanted to update everyone on my wired Ethernet problem. Thanks to some very helpful information from BigDog1, I can happily report that I now have my wired Ethernet WORKING! :D

According to BigDog1 (who had exactly the same problem and symptoms I did), all that was needed was a different Realtek kext file, namely, RealtekR1000SL.kext. A quick Google search found this site with the file.

I downloaded it, copied it to the E/E folder, removed the old RealtekR1000.kext (in my case it was embedded in IONetworkingFamily.kext), ran the kextutility to fix permission and create new mkext file, rebooted, and VOILA!! Working Ethernet!

I can hardly believe it!

The only odd thing is, in System Profiler, under Software/Extensions, there is no listing for my RealtekR1000SL.kext file, or any of the kexts that are in my E/E folder. Should they be listed in System Profiler/Software/Extensions?

Thanks again to all that helped!

Cannot say sense mine loads with IONetworkingFamily and if you had been using my kext file then I have no idea at all why my realtek driver did not work for you just as well.. although I am running in 32bit most of the time... and if you forgot to delete Apples 8169 realtek kext inside the IONetworkingFamily kext then maybe those 2 things could explain it. I am not sure that I ever tested my ethernet in 64bits.

Also, I saw something back in the post about kexts that could be removed from EE and SLE, and them being colored, but I never saw the original reference. Does anybody know what that is about? I know there has to be a ton of kexts that aren't used on our specific notebooks.

Is there a way to determine which ones are being used and which one's aren't?

I was referring to the SnowOSX install, they color coded the modified kext files in SLE. On my install I have relocated them all to EE and they work just as good come to find out. Much safer place considering you never know what updates are to come down.

Hello to all! I have been trying to install SL on my 14z for quite some time but I keep failing. I currently have the 1515 card so SL is the only way to go. I also have a t6500 and 3gb ram. Could somebody be nice (an patient) enough to make a tutorial on how to install SL on the 14z with step-by-step directions and the correct things to get it to work? (I have no idea how to install KEXTS) :(

best thing you can do is just get started and solve any issues as you go along. Any Generic OSX SL guide will do just about fine, easiest imo is SnowOSX and next easiest is the boot-132 method. Only thing you need to be mindful of is that when you are done you will need the DSDT file and Kext files posted here. DSDT goes in \Extra\ and the kext's go into \Extra\Extensions\.. sadly we will be here when you have a problem so my advice is to just go at it.

I know some here seem to have persistent issues, but I think those 2 are up and running pretty good finally.. some of the issues may have related to booting in 64bits. By default the SnowOSX installs boots in 64bits, not sure about boot-132, but I believe arch=i386 inside the boot.plist file or at the darwin boot screen will force you into 32bits. I see no real advantage booting 64bits right now so I am not doing 64. Some of the reasoning is software such as NTFS for OSX only works in 32.

Cannot say sense mine loads with IONetworkingFamily and if you had been using my kext file then I have no idea at all why my realtek driver did not work for you just as well.. although I am running in 32bit most of the time... and if you forgot to delete Apples 8169 realtek kext inside the IONetworkingFamily kext then maybe those 2 things could explain it. I am not sure that I ever tested my ethernet in 64bits.

Yes, I had practically given up. Yes, I was using your IONetworkingFamily kext and, yes, I had made sure the 8169 kext was gone. Everything should have worked, but it didn't. I don't know what is special about the RealtekR1000SL file, but it does work like a champ for me!

Just wanted to say that I received my upgraded 14z today that I STOLE got at the Dell Outlet. Over my original 14z, it added the 900p LED backlit LCD, bluetooth, backlit keyboard, 8-cell battery, and a RED lid instead of black.

I must say, the 1600x900 display is friggin' beautiful!! The difference between it and the 768p display is night and day. The 900p is much more staturated, bright, sharp. I love it! It makes my Hackintosh look like a whole new PC! This display is worthy of some semi-serious photo work!

I basically took my 256GB SSD out of my original 14z and put it in my new RED 'tosh. Started up fine. Ethernet still works :blink: and bluetooth was identifed and worked just fine.

The one problem is the backlit keyboard. I cannot get the backlighting to come on. I've tried F6, Fn-F6, nothing works. Does anyone elses backlit keyboard work in OSX? I cannot get it to turn on when in the BIOS, either, so could the keyboard just be defective?

UPDATE: I took the keyboard out and put it back in, and now the backlighting works. Go figure.

Oh, one other question. I noticed that the RAM in the 14z runs at 1066Mhz (according to the BIOS).

In OSX, in the About this Mac and system profiler, it says 800Mhz. Any idea which it really is? I tend to believe

the BIOS, but is the RAM really at 1066Mhz but OSX is just misreading it?

UPDATE: Nevermind. It also says DDR2, and the RAM is obviously DDR3, so I think the whole identification process is whacked in OSX! I did look at the chip, and it is DDR3-1066.

OK, I'm on a roll here (post-wise)... :(

Has anyone tried an Apple Magic Mouse on their 14z with SL yet? It should work, since I have BT and SL, but I

just cannot really see myself returning it to the Apple Store and saying "I'd like to return this because it doesn't work with my Dell 14z running OSX." !!

OK, I'm on a roll here (post-wise)... :D

Has anyone tried an Apple Magic Mouse on their 14z with SL yet? It should work, since I have BT and SL, but I

just cannot really see myself returning it to the Apple Store and saying "I'd like to return this because it doesn't work with my Dell 14z running OSX." !!

I haven't used it with the 14z (because I'm still waiting on my BT module from :( Dell), but I have it and I used it on my GF's Inspriron 1720, which is running SL. You shouldn't have any problem running it, so long as you have the BT module.

It is bt 2.1 & it works great w/ my stereo motorola s9 & logitech dinovo keyboard. I'd get the mouse w/o worry. But I don't like thin mice ;).

The only reason that I'd get it is because it is thin. I want something that I can put in my bag with the 14z that is thin and easily kept. I don't like lugging around thick, big bags stuffed full of {censored} with a thin and light notebook.

I have my Dell Studio 14z running pretty well at this point. The trick for me was to actually start around page 7 with the walkthrough at that point, and then work out the bugs page by page. I guess before I was looking for the silver bullet to fix this, and it was too confusing. Actually trying the kexts and DSDT's people were using along the way helped get me to a good and stable version.

My only real problem (aside from sometimes working/sometimes not screen dimming) is my wireless card. I have a Dell 1515 (atheros) card, and I have the hardest time getting to stay up when it starts up. I end up having to disable wireless, turn in back on, sign on to my RADIUS server (I'm using WPA2 Enterprise), and then sometimes repeat the whole process before it is stable. Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, it asks me everytime for my WPA2 credentials, even though I told it to save it to my keychain. Is there a fix to this?

I'm wondering if I need to make my own DSDT to fix this. Could it be an addressing issue for the card?

I have my Dell Studio 14z running pretty well at this point. The trick for me was to actually start around page 7 with the walkthrough at that point, and then work out the bugs page by page. I guess before I was looking for the silver bullet to fix this, and it was too confusing. Actually trying the kexts and DSDT's people were using along the way helped get me to a good and stable version.

My only real problem (aside from sometimes working/sometimes not screen dimming) is my wireless card. I have a Dell 1515 (atheros) card, and I have the hardest time getting to stay up when it starts up. I end up having to disable wireless, turn in back on, sign on to my RADIUS server (I'm using WPA2 Enterprise), and then sometimes repeat the whole process before it is stable. Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, it asks me everytime for my WPA2 credentials, even though I told it to save it to my keychain. Is there a fix to this?

I'm wondering if I need to make my own DSDT to fix this. Could it be an addressing issue for the card?

I'm an IT support specialist of sorts among other things and while most appear to lock down their routers and tell others to do the same via WPA2.. I met one guy that didn't and I liked how he dealt with wireless even though it was not secure, because it allows ALL of my wifi devices to connect without the security mechanism messing up certain devices and connections.

Not all routers support this, but as long as you have a router that you can load a custom firmware on to such as dd-wrt, tamota, openwrt, then you can simply turn off SSID broadcasting and encryption for the best experience possible. So now, no one sees my routers name and I never have any connection issues because of having a device that does not support WPA or WPA2. Ironically though some routers perform best with WPA2 turned on o0..

I'm an IT support specialist of sorts among other things and while most appear to lock down their routers and tell others to do the same via WPA2.. I met one guy that didn't and I liked how he dealt with wireless even though it was not secure, because it allows ALL of my wifi devices to connect without the security mechanism messing up certain devices and connections.

Not all routers support this, but as long as you have a router that you can load a custom firmware on to such as dd-wrt, tamota, openwrt, then you can simply turn off SSID broadcasting and encryption for the best experience possible. So now, no one sees my routers name and I never have any connection issues because of having a device that does not support WPA or WPA2. Ironically though some routers perform best with WPA2 turned on o0..

Most routers do support turning off SSID, which mine is, but this in itself, isn't any sort of security. My wireless network is set up to be secure as possible, thus the WPA2 Enterprise encryption. The problem seems to be with the Atheros chipset. My other half is running SL and does not have to reenter her credentials every time she boots up her laptop; it remembers it in her keychain. She is running a Broadcom chipset. If Dell had a N card that would fit in the half height PCI slot that was Broadcom, I'd be all over it.

In Windows 7, it's even worse. The Dell 1515 will not connect to a WPA2 Enterprise network. It seems to be a known issue, but Dell hasn't come out with a fix.