Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Yes, that's all there is. In /Extras I just have the DSDT, smbios, and boot.plist files (well, and Extensions.mkext)

OK this might sound like an amateur question: when adding the kexts to the Extra Extensions folder do I just copy and paste them or do I have to use something like kext helper. Also, I copied the voodoopscontroller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to the EE folder and for some reason the keyboard is working however the trackpad isn't, any suggestion? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for helping me install snow leopard / win 7 dual boot on my studio 14z. It's working great and it wouldn't have been possible (for me at least) without the knowledge posted in this forum.

So, thank you!

post-293695-1255416783_thumb.png

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread for helping me install snow leopard / win 7 dual boot on my studio 14z. It's working great and it wouldn't have been possible (for me at least) without the knowledge posted in this forum.

So, thank you!

Nice to know another person got it working ;)

Has anyone had any luck with the c2d 2.1 ghz processor and the dell 1515 wireless to work with these files?

I'm about to dive in and do the install on a new 14z I just got in the mail. So far I've dl'ed the files from the first post, any other required files to have? Thanks. :)

Has anyone had any luck with the c2d 2.1 ghz processor and the dell 1515 wireless to work with these files?

I'm about to dive in and do the install on a new 14z I just got in the mail. So far I've dl'ed the files from the first post, any other required files to have? Thanks. :)

There shouldn't be any problems with any of the processors for the 14z. The 1515 wireless only works for SL after some kext modification as explained by mmooogle I believe.

Best if you read through most of the posts in this topic to get an understanding of what's going on. If this is your first time installing OSX, then you will need to do research else where as well.

Thanks for the input. I've read through the posts on this thread and have installed OSX before however that was over a year ago back when kalyway 10.5.2 was an update :X

Which/how do I get SL working now? Thanks!

Haven't tried installing snow leopard before so I have no clue, best if you look at some other install guides or ask mmoogle.

It isn't as simple as some distribution like kalyway or iATKOS though, it's a lot more complex and frustrating.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out why I don't have backlight control. Could somebody who has it working via the function keys post their DSDT and the PS2 kexts that they're using? Oh, and if you're on BIOS A01 or A03.

I've also gotten quite a bit of other functionality working using native kexts - including native Speedstep. You can also get the onboard wired LAN working with a newer kext provided directly by Realtek, and ditch the Pystar Realtek1000.kext. PC_EFI v4 will also do some nice things including making the CPU type detected properly, and making devices show up under System Profiler properly.

bash-3.2# ls -l /Extra/Extensions
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 21 13:54 AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Jun 27 01:15 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 17 08:55 UUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Sep  7 20:59 VoodooPS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Sep 12 09:09 fakesmc.kext
bash-3.2#

What are you guys getting for battery life?

Around 3 hours for regular OSX with 6-cell battery. mmoogle mentioned a VoodooPower kext, but I never tried it and don't know if it will impact the battery life.

I also have the 2.66GHz c2d cpu, so if you have a slower one, then you may get better battery life.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if anyone is still following this anymore, but has anyone found a way to disable the trackpad?

The sensitivity for it is way too high and I don't think I have the right drivers to control it. I'd much prefer to disable it than having the mouse go crazy when I type.

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this.

Ok I am a bit new to this whole Mac on PC. But i have just got a dell 14z and have been trying to follow this thread, but am having such trouble putting all this info together.

Here is what i have so far:

Created booting usb key of 10.6 sl . Just a copy of the disc. A Vanilla install

Booted the usb key and installed sl on the HDD.

Boot the usb key and then load the HDD.

Loads just fine...

Here is what i am having trouble with.

network isn't working (it is the 1515)

Battery isn't showing up in the top left.

doesn't dim when unplugged.

Finally in the end i would like to dual boot win7 have a copy coming on 11/2/09

Well i installed snow leopard but when i put in the display files in the overrides folder and the dsdt files (i think thats what its called) i get kernel panic. THen i have to reinstall snow leopard again. Is that how u do it?

This is old and no longer needed. Please read though the whole thread. I am still learning, but you will get to a different dsdt file that will make the display work without having to change anything else. Make sure your sound files and other files are in place though because it will crash if you try it without them. Well that is what happened for me

As for my question. I have the dell 1515 wireless card.

I have found the correct file, but:

How to do i edit the info.plist to include the pci id?

where is my pci id located?

EDIT:

Ok well i fixed my problem. By booting into 32 bit mode wireless works great sorry i missed a step.

Next is the trackpad isn't working. The keyboard is but not the track pad.

any ideas?

I fixed my own issue with this also.

For me i had to put the voodoops2controller.kext in the s/l/e folder and then reset the permissions.

This made mine work great.

I saw a trackpad control panel in this thread how do i get that working?

Trackpad panel was really easy i just put it in system/library/prefpanes. it ask to over right and i am done. Now that i am all done and everything seems to work i will write a good tutorial so others can figure this out too.

Thank you to all the smart people that came before me to do the hard work. You guys are the smart one i just followed your steps.

I fixed my own issue with this also.

For me i had to put the voodoops2controller.kext in the s/l/e folder and then reset the permissions.

This made mine work great.

I saw a trackpad control panel in this thread how do i get that working?

Trackpad panel was really easy i just put it in system/library/prefpanes. it ask to over right and i am done. Now that i am all done and everything seems to work i will write a good tutorial so others can figure this out too.

Thank you to all the smart people that came before me to do the hard work. You guys are the smart one i just followed your steps.

Could you post the trackpad control panel and the voodoops2controller kext. Also I was able to fix my graphics on Ideneb but now i want to update to snow leopard. Will the same process apply as what i did to ideneb. Also, the first time i booted up my pc it had a kernel panic. Second time it worked and it still works marvelously.

Could you post the trackpad control panel and the voodoops2controller kext. Also I was able to fix my graphics on Ideneb but now i want to update to snow leopard. Will the same process apply as what i did to ideneb. Also, the first time i booted up my pc it had a kernel panic. Second time it worked and it still works marvelously.

I've posted them previously. Graphics will just work in SL if you have the correct DSDT file. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you read the entire thread all of your questions have been answered before.

Ok well i fixed my problem. By booting into 32 bit mode wireless works great sorry i missed a step.

If you snag the 10.6.2 Atheros kext it will work under 64 bit mode.

I've posted them previously. Graphics will just work in SL if you have the correct DSDT file. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you read the entire thread all of your questions have been answered before.

If you snag the 10.6.2 Atheros kext it will work under 64 bit mode.

I don't know which dsdt file. I used the one posted in the first post and if i use the dsdt file i won't have to use the display override files, right?