10.5.7 on an Asus P5QL/EPU

fcollingwood

104 posts in this topic

Have just spent a few days refining the installation on an Asus P5QL/EPU, and here is how to do it:

Required:

iPC 10.5.6 installation disk

IDeneb 10.5.7 update disk

VoodooHDA kext

1. Boot from the disk. flags of cpus=1 is required, -v -f may be optional
  2. Make your selections as follows:

1. ipc OSx86 Base System (selected by default)
    2. (OPTIONAL) Whatever language translations you require
    3. Video Drivers - Whichever you require
    4. Chipset Drivers - Intel ICH10 SATA Support
    5. Ethernet Drivers - Realtek R1000
    6. USB Drivers - Patched USB Drivers
    7. Fixes and Patches
      1. ACPI Fix
      2. (OPTIONAL) CPUS=1 One Core Fix - this is required to boot until the DSDT is fixed, however, it can be manualy entered at each boot until no longer required. My advice is to not select this, and just enter cpus=1 at each boot until the DSDT is patched.
      3. FireWire Mount Fix
      4. IOUSBMassStorage Fix
      5. Sata Drive Icon Fix
      6. IOPCIFamily.kext patched
      7. Shutdown/Restart fix
      8. AppleSMBIOS Patch - AppleSMBIOSEFI

[*]Alternative Bootloaders - Chameleon with DSDT/Custom Boot Picture

[*]Whatever applications you want, but DSDT Patcher GUI and Kext Helper are a must.

[*]Install

[*]After first boot (You did remember the enter cpus=1?), start the DSDT patcher. Select Force Compile, and your target disk. Ignore the error, it will install.

[*]In the Tools folder of the DSDT Patcher GUI folder, you will find Bootloader.pkg. double click and install.

[*]Rename /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext to appleHDA.kext.orig

[*]Using Kext Helper, install the VoodooHDA kext.

[*]Mount the iDeneb update disk, and run the updater.

[*]Done! You can now boot without the cpus=1 flag, and the system will see both cores.

Caveats:

1. I used a SATA DVD drive and a SATA HDD for the installation. I have no idea what can/will go wrong if you use any combination of SATA/IDE or plain IDE, and won't answer questions it you're not doing a SATA/SATA install. I have the IDE controller DISABLED.
      2. I have AHCI enabled in the BIOS, as I have SATA drives in caddies. I have no idea what can/will go wrong if this isn't set, and won't answer questions if it isn't.
      3. Don't bother with the DSDT patching that is included on the install CD - it doesn't seem to work.
      4. This worked for ME. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks collingwood, just got it working, followed your instructions exactly except I haven't done 10.5.7 update yet.

Also got 4850 working with "simple guide", easy as :(

I'm well chuffed, but what are the chances of getting snow to work on this setup?

• 3 weeks later...
Have just spent a few days refining the installation on an Asus P5QL/EPU, and here is how to do it:

Required:

iPC 10.5.6 installation disk

IDeneb 10.5.7 update disk

VoodooHDA kext

1. Boot from the disk. flags of cpus=1 is required, -v -f may be optional
  2. Make your selections as follows:

1. ipc OSx86 Base System (selected by default)
    2. (OPTIONAL) Whatever language translations you require
    3. Video Drivers - Whichever you require
    4. Chipset Drivers - Intel ICH10 SATA Support
    5. Ethernet Drivers - Realtek R1000
    6. USB Drivers - Patched USB Drivers
    7. Fixes and Patches
      1. ACPI Fix
      2. (OPTIONAL) CPUS=1 One Core Fix - this is required to boot until the DSDT is fixed, however, it can be manualy entered at each boot until no longer required. My advice is to not select this, and just enter cpus=1 at each boot until the DSDT is patched.
      3. FireWire Mount Fix
      4. IOUSBMassStorage Fix
      5. Sata Drive Icon Fix
      6. IOPCIFamily.kext patched
      7. Shutdown/Restart fix
      8. AppleSMBIOS Patch - AppleSMBIOSEFI

[*]Alternative Bootloaders - Chameleon with DSDT/Custom Boot Picture

[*]Whatever applications you want, but DSDT Patcher GUI and Kext Helper are a must.

[*]Install

[*]After first boot (You did remember the enter cpus=1?), start the DSDT patcher. Select Force Compile, and your target disk. Ignore the error, it will install.

[*]In the Tools folder of the DSDT Patcher GUI folder, you will find Bootloader.pkg. double click and install.

[*]Rename /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext to appleHDA.kext.orig

[*]Using Kext Helper, install the VoodooHDA kext.

[*]Mount the iDeneb update disk, and run the updater.

[*]Done! You can now boot without the cpus=1 flag, and the system will see both cores.

Caveats:

1. I used a SATA DVD drive and a SATA HDD for the installation. I have no idea what can/will go wrong if you use any combination of SATA/IDE or plain IDE, and won't answer questions it you're not doing a SATA/SATA install. I have the IDE controller DISABLED.
      2. I have AHCI enabled in the BIOS, as I have SATA drives in caddies. I have no idea what can/will go wrong if this isn't set, and won't answer questions if it isn't.
      3. Don't bother with the DSDT patching that is included on the install CD - it doesn't seem to work.
      4. This worked for ME. YMMV

What about onboard audio? :/

The onboard audio works crudely with VoodooHDA (just line out, main volume control doesn't seem to work)

Is in first post.

Would like to know if there's a way top get it working better, cos this is the worst thing about the install, would like to have a line in & volume control.

I'm looking into it maybe some DSDT patch with appleHDA or something, a bit beyond me at the moment, voodoo is OK just have to lean over and adjust the volume on my amp sometimes.. I'll post up if I figure anything out.

EDIT:

I got Snow 10.6.1 working x64, even better than leopard was

Chameleon RC3 on USB with extra folder containing 64 bit kexts:

PlatformUUID

OpenHaltRestart

NullCPUPowerManagement

fakesmc

AppleIntelPIIXATA

and a DSDT.aml compiled in leopard, not with DSDTGUI, which wasn't working quite right for me.

VoodooHDA I had to install to S/L/E with kext utility, works as above there though.

LAN you don't have to kext in snow, it just works.

Got QE/CI perfect on my ATI XFX HD 4850 with the right evoenabler installed to S/L/E and dev ID added to 4800controller as well.

That is well sweeeeeet mate :D

This is a zip of the contents of the USB boot drive, used another USB stick with the retail image on

I dont know if the disc will be bootable if you just copy this over or maybe you'll have to install chameleon then copy files over. I have no idea if the DSDT will work for anyone else, it does for me. I think the boot is the latest one from Netkas.

http://rapidshare.com/files/294137446/P5QL_EPU.zip.html

I'll have a go when I got some time, might be a few days. You need a working osx anyhow so getting the iPC working is a good start and showed me a lot, was a lot of trial and error can't recall half the things I did.

Bios settings need to be right, AHCI on and both ACPI settings on, a couple near the bottom of the CPU settings gotta be disabled.

cpus=1 (in leopard) and -x -v very useful at boot.

BIOS settings which work with Collingwood's guide above and 10.6 install. all default except:

Storage Configuration - configure SATA as - AHCI

Advanced CPU settings - CPU ratio auto (for install, E7400 running fine @+20% now though)

Next 4 settings Enabled

Speedstep - Disabled

C-State - Disabled

Onboard devices - I have only High Def Audio & Onboard LAN Enabled, rest disabled as I don't use them, dunno if they'd break an install, I doubt it.

USB Enabled, Enabled, High Speed, Auto

Power - Suspend Auto

ACPI 2.0 - Enabled

ACPI APIC - Enabled

APM Config - Power off & all disabled

----------

I have uploaded the kexts & DSDT I'm using to this site in case Rapidshare dont like you.

Not sure I'm the right one to write a guide makes me feel like I'm at school, I was in a hurry to get out of there.

But it is really quite easy to install snow on this board if you have the right BIOS settings and kexts.

Just make sure you have a GUID schemed Hard-Drive (Do that when you install Leopard to save hassle later, DIsk utility root of drive options - GUID scheme, make at least two HFS partitions one for 10.5, one for 10.6, maybe another for your retail =disk image) and a USB key with chameleon RC2 installed with installer from [chameleon website] on it, then put the kexts from the /extra/extensions I uploaded

P5QL_EPU.zip

PlatformUUID

OpenHaltRestart

NullCPUPowerManagement

fakesmc

AppleIntelPIIXATA

and your own DSDT (make this in Leopard) in place on there and also use the .boot file from [Netkas October 13 post on his site], replacing the one in the root of your USB key and follow the Chameleon 2 with Netkas PCEFI guide by Guru FlashGX guide from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 (am I allowed to link to this site?? :)

Boot with -x until you have graphics & VooDooHDA for your audio installed (I software updated to 10.6.1 before sorting out the 4850) and finally I got Chameleon onto EFI with the Munky's method here:[ from yet another place I can't link to, just google install Chameleon on EFI by Munky.]

and it works perfect, better than Leopard where Time Machine didn't work for me, it does in 10.6.1.

Sorry this forum won't let me post a link, don't know which one so I had to get rid them all, google...

Hey, glad my guide helped some people.

Now I'm looking at installing SnoLeo, and I'm following your guide, sweatyone, however, it's not working for me - I get the message "Unable to find mach_kernel" when Chameleon tries to boot from the 10GB partition.

I've tried using the other guide you link to as well (Guru FlashGX, Chameleon 2 RC1), this gets further, actually starts to install, then kernel panics.

Did you come across this when you were installing?

I did get this sometimes, I actually tried with two retail images, one on a HD partition and one on a USB stick. I'm not sure if it happened on the HD partition or not, think it might have done but not often. But I made the HD partition because it was happening al the time with the USB.

However later on the image on the stick just worked, as far as I can remember I hadn't changed anything, certainly hadn't re-restored the image..

So this error seemed totally sporadic, not sure whats causing it TBH, but you can get by it.

Kernel panic - perhaps try -x32 or -x64 mode and -x of course, I had more luck with -x64, I run snow all the time in 64 bit mode, not sure if 32 works now.

I tried with the image on a separate USB stick, and this got all the way through the install, right to the end, then told me that installation had failed, as it couldn't boot off the HD.

I think the problem is the southbridge kext. I did use another SL SB kext, so will try the one that you posted. Will also try with the DVD drives disconnected.

OK, so today it just worked....go figure? I think it was due to the fact that I used the kexts from here

which, thinking about it, is logical - AHCI injector.....DOH!

Hey sweaty, one thing I did notice: I updated the BIOS on my mobo from 0405 to 0408. This caused one CPU core to go away, even with a new DSDT file. Took it back to 0405, and it showed both cores again.

Been messing around with sleep.

I nearly have it working.

Added WAK_ fix to DSDT using DSDTSE and sleepenabler.kext to /EFI/Extra/Extensions

Auto sleep only sleeps display, wakes fine.

If I sleep from apple menu computer sleeps but on wakeup sound is messed up, common voodooHDA problem I think.

Edit: Fixed this, download and install Sleepwatcher http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10387 and restart.

In terminal: sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/rc.wakeup

and add to end of file:

/sbin/kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext>>/var/log/system.log

sleep 1

/sbin/kextload /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext>>/var/log/system.log

to end of file and save.

After deep sleep restart doesn't work.

For anyone else on 4850 I had to get rid of evoenabler.kext and use graphicsenabler=y in com.apple.boot.plist (in efi/extra not efi/extra/extensions like in my zip file above, sorry does nowt there) This fixed corrupted graphics after forced sleep, dual display full QE/CI still works good.

Any ideas on why auto-sleep only sleeps display? EDIT: use pleasesleep http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/ -put it into user startup items, and autosleep will send the computer into deepsleep

So only thing not working on this board is restart after deep sleep, shutdown still works.

BIOS settings which work with Collingwood's guide above and 10.6 install. all default except:

Storage Configuration - configure SATA as - AHCI

Advanced CPU settings - CPU ratio auto (for install, E7400 running fine @+20% now though)

Next 4 settings Enabled

Speedstep - Disabled

C-State - Disabled

Onboard devices - I have only High Def Audio & Onboard LAN Enabled, rest disabled as I don't use them, dunno if they'd break an install, I doubt it.

USB Enabled, Enabled, High Speed, Auto

Power - Suspend Auto

ACPI 2.0 - Enabled

ACPI APIC - Enabled

APM Config - Power off & all disabled

----------

I have uploaded the kexts & DSDT I'm using to this site in case Rapidshare dont like you.

Not sure I'm the right one to write a guide makes me feel like I'm at school, I was in a hurry to get out of there.

But it is really quite easy to install snow on this board if you have the right BIOS settings and kexts.

Just make sure you have a GUID schemed Hard-Drive (Do that when you install Leopard to save hassle later, DIsk utility root of drive options - GUID scheme, make at least two HFS partitions one for 10.5, one for 10.6, maybe another for your retail =disk image) and a USB key with chameleon RC2 installed with installer from [chameleon website] on it, then put the kexts from the /extra/extensions I uploaded

P5QL_EPU.zip

PlatformUUID

OpenHaltRestart

NullCPUPowerManagement

fakesmc

AppleIntelPIIXATA

and your own DSDT (make this in Leopard) in place on there and also use the .boot file from [Netkas October 13 post on his site], replacing the one in the root of your USB key and follow the Chameleon 2 with Netkas PCEFI guide by Guru FlashGX guide from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 (am I allowed to link to this site?? :)

Boot with -x until you have graphics & VooDooHDA for your audio installed (I software updated to 10.6.1 before sorting out the 4850) and finally I got Chameleon onto EFI with the Munky's method here:[ from yet another place I can't link to, just google install Chameleon on EFI by Munky.]

and it works perfect, better than Leopard where Time Machine didn't work for me, it does in 10.6.1.

Sorry this forum won't let me post a link, don't know which one so I had to get rid them all, google...

sweaty,

This worked perfect for me except that I have been completely unable to use the munky method >after< installed snow... Any heads up? It doesn't seem to give all of the expected responses, and I can't get it to boot. I have tried using the newest chameleon, but I wasn't sure which boot files I could replace, and which I could reuse. Thanks!

Not sure exactly whats going wrong for you?

You have installed OK and can boot from USB key, just having trouble installing Chameleon onto EFI partition?

I'm not much of an expert on this, just did it once and it worked.

Munky guide I used was on another site but probably the same as the one here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

Once you have the partition formatted I just used chameleon RC2 installer to install it, the only file to change is the boot one in root of EFI partition, new one from here:

After that add your DSDT and com.apple.boot.plist to /EFI/Extra

and your kexts to /EFI/Extra/Extensions, if there were any preinstalled, delete them

Should work. Hope this helps.

Not sure exactly whats going wrong for you?

You have installed OK and can boot from USB key, just having trouble installing Chameleon onto EFI partition?

I'm not much of an expert on this, just did it once and it worked.

Munky guide I used was on another site but probably the same as the one here:

Once you have the partition formatted I just used chameleon RC2 installer to install it, the only file to change is the boot one in root of EFI partition, new one from here:

After that add your DSDT and com.apple.boot.plist to /EFI/Extra

and your kexts to /EFI/Extra/Extensions, if there were any preinstalled, delete them

Should work. Hope this helps.

Worked perfectly! Thanks for your assistance. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I did it wrong three times in a row. ;) Thanks again!

Hello, My PC configuration can also use the above tutorial to install IPC10.5.6? ! Thanks!Core CPU E6300 @ 2.80GHz

Asus P5QL/EPU

Intel Eaglelake P43

Intel 82801JB ICH10

Kingston 2GB DDR2-800

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850

Realtek RTL8168C/8111C

Intel 82801JB ICH10 -H\D

ASUS DRW-24B1ST ATA Device

WDC WD3200AAJS-00L7A0 SATA-II