10.5.7 on an Asus P5QL/EPU

fcollingwood

104 posts in this topic

Salve...

Dopo le svariate prove, vi ri-aggiorno.

Avendo avuto il problema dichiarato su, ho provato tramite aggiornamento a re-installare l'ipc. Esito: installazione non riuscita. Però ho notato che l'errore com.apple.boot.plist non mi esce più, anzi riesco ad avviare tramite cpus=1 il mac, solo che si blocca nella schermata d'avvio verde con il cerchietto del caricamento che però gira. Cosa mi consigliate??

Finally got mine fully configured and everything is working.

Here is what I have:

P5QL/EPU + Q8200 (quad core) + 500GB sata drive + nVidia 9500 GT + 4GB memory.

I did the following:

1. Updated bios to 0408 (latest from Asus). Everything was default except sata set as AHCI.

2. Downloaded Empire bootloader: http://prasys.co.cc/tag/empire-efi/, created bootable CDROM.

3. Install with -x -i32 -f arch=i386.

4. Reboot with -x.

5. Install Chameleon RC3 on the root drive from the Empire cd.

6. Updated to 10.6.2 use software updates.

7. Installed nvenabler.kext http://www.kexts.com/view/118-snow_leopard_nvenabler.html, nvdanv40hal.kext, nvdanv50hal.kext, and nvdaresman.kextand from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t139775.html.

8. Use osx86tool created efi string (see the above thread).

9. Installed ps2 and audio driver.

Now I have a full functional Snow Leopard!

Hi youngbilly, do you have any problems with your mouse/cursor jumping at all. I am using a 2.4 Ghz Quad with 9800GT card. I didn't use any of the enabler kexts, just the efi string in the apple.plst(whatever) file. Everything is perfect except the occasional jumping of the cursor.

Hi youngbilly, do you have any problems with your mouse/cursor jumping at all. I am using a 2.4 Ghz Quad with 9800GT card. I didn't use any of the enabler kexts, just the efi string in the apple.plst(whatever) file. Everything is perfect except the occasional jumping of the cursor.

I only see it jump once. I use ps2 mouse, don't know if that makes any difference.

Ok, I'm having problems getting to the initial install. Downloaded your boot ISO, did the bios settings, booted with the burned boot disc, it asked me to switch to the Mac OS X DVD (I have the retail snow leopard) and hit the F5 key. Did that, and then the drive selection icons refresh and it shows the Mac OS X DVD. I make sure it's highlighted and hit enter. Left side of the screen starts filling up with EBIOS read errors. Error 0x09

Any idea what's going on?

Going by the 10.5.7 directions in the beginning of this post, if not this whole process, is entirely confusing. Where am I supposed to be entering cpus=1 thing? And all that stuff under where it says "make your selections as follows:"? All I see is this gui screen.

Am I supposed to be doing something different than highlighting the OS X Install DVD icon and hitting return?

Am I supposed to be doing something different than highlighting the OS X Install DVD icon and hitting return?

This is the point at which you would enter boot instructions (such as cpus=1, although I never found that one neccessary with 10.6)

try typing "-x -v" after highlighting the DVD and before pressing return, the text you enter is in small font bottom left of the screen (-x for safe mode, -v for verbose)

I don't know about EBIOS read errors, never had that. Are you on SATA DVD drive?

First let me say thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.

This is the point at which you would enter boot instructions (such as cpus=1, although I never found that one neccessary with 10.6)

try typing "-x -v" after highlighting the DVD and before pressing return, the text you enter is in small font bottom left of the screen (-x for safe mode, -v for verbose)

Ok, because when I typed text I didn't see anything on the screen. I'll try paying attention to that area of the screen then when I type.

I don't know about EBIOS read errors, never had that. Are you on SATA DVD drive?

Yes, I have a SATA based LG Blu-Ray disc DVD drive -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+10x+Inter...p;skuId=9713663

Ok, just tried it again. Text showed up in a special bar that appeared towards the bottom left of the screen. Had the same EBIOS error problem though.

What I did notice - when it reads the boot disc, the led on the DVD player lights up. When I replace it with the OS X dvd and hit F5 (and it replaces the boot disc icon with the OS X disc icon), it also lights up. When I hit enter to start the install process though, it does not light up. What does light up when the left side of the screen is filling up with the EBIOS errors is the hard drive light on the front of the case, blinking on and off in time to the EBOOT errors appearing. Which I'm assuming should not be happening, i.e. it should just be accessing the DVD at that point?

Ok, got a new retail OS X disc, bought a new sata drive to install this on, and unplugged all my other drives one by one. After I unplugged the two USB drives the EBIOS errors went away.

The install started and got to the english selection screen - only my mouse and keyboard don't work. I have a Lotitech wave keyboard and MX1100 cordless mouse. So I tried a ps2 keyboard and of course that didn't work. I'm assuming I need a USB keyboard and usb mouse?

No, not giving up. Typing this from my system running Snow Leopard right now! My wireless logitech keyboard and mouse wound up working just fine after a bit. When the language selection screen popped up, I just had to let it sit there for a minute and suddenly the keyboard and mouse started working.

Now, because I'm a novice, I'm not sure what to do next with this. I downloaded your extensions file and unzipped it, where do the files inside go?

How do I get Chameleon installed on here then and properly formatted for this computer? That was one of the nice things about your ISO, it was all preformated. So now I'm going to have to do it all from scratch again anyways?

Also, I saw something about editing files to get the sound and graphics working so I don't have to boot in safe mode anymore? How do I do that? As far as the graphics card, it's an ATI Radeon 4850 as well. Specifically:

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

What's confusing for me is that according to:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.6.0

the Sapphire 4850 is supposed to work with the regular graphics drivers.

Again, your help and patience is greatly appreciated!

Ok, in the interim I tried adding your extension kexts myself. followed the directions at

"what-is-kextwhere-is-kext-how-to-install-kext"

(for some reason, insanelymac won't let me post the link, it keeps replacing the name of the site with insanely mac).

Copied them over to /System/Libraries/Extensions, chmod'd them all to 755 and then ran Disk Utilities and repaired permissions as well. Removed Extensions.mkext as it stated as well.

Went to reboot, in safe mode am getting kernel panics with your sleep enabler. Specifically - "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU", then it does a backtrace and specifically mentions it's sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler, then it just freezes and sits at system up time.

In non-safe mode boot, it's your graphics kext that causes a kernel panic (com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000), and sits at the system up time statement as well.

What do I do now? I was going to try and just blow out and reinstall everything, but it won't even let me do that. Back to getting ebios errors if I try booting the install disc, and I'm guessing the now formated hard drive with the full mac Install is causing it since that's the only change from before.

I'm completely dead in the water with this now.

Hopefully you can boot into single user mode -s and delete the sleepenabler kext, which causes problems different versions needed for 10.6 and 10.6.2, then use safemode to install the right kexts for your graphics card (search this site, so many GFX cards). SU mode is text only, look up the commands you'll need.

Or use macdisc in windows to delete the bad kext.

Personally I would reinstall and install chameleon to a USB key or to the EFI partition then install those kexts I uploaded to your /where you installed chameleon/extra/extensions folder.

This makes it easier to do updates and fix any issues you get as your hackintosh kexts and the vanilla apple ones are kept seperate. Although some kexts do have to be installed /S/L/E like you did, VoodooHDA being the main one. I think all the kexts I uploaded work from /E/E.

Hopefully you can boot into single user mode -s and delete the sleepenabler kext, which causes problems different versions needed for 10.6 and 10.6.2, then use safemode to install the right kexts for your graphics card (search this site, so many GFX cards). SU mode is text only, look up the commands you'll need.

I'll give it a try. I thought I had the same graphics card as you?

Personally I would reinstall and install chameleon to a USB key or to the EFI partition then install those kexts I uploaded to your /where you installed chameleon/extra/extensions folder.

This makes it easier to do updates and fix any issues you get as your hackintosh kexts and the vanilla apple ones are kept seperate. Although some kexts do have to be installed /S/L/E like you did, VoodooHDA being the main one. I think all the kexts I uploaded work from /E/E.

That's what I had asked before that I'm confused on, do I need to do anything to Chameleon, or do I just download the one from the site and install it? I thought the whole point of your boot disk ISO is because it was already set up for this hardware, aren't I going to need to do that from scratch then for one I do on the hard drive?

I also have a 4850 yeah, they all seem to behave differently though from what I read, and honestly I can't remember exactly what I did to get it working with 10.6.2! 10.6.1 was just alter device ID in Radeon4850.kext and use graphicsenabler=yes at boot or in apple.com.boot.plist.

You could always use the bootCD but if you want to boot without CD you need to install chameleon, thats why I also uploaded the kexts, so you can use them in your /E/E folder after installing Chameleon.

• 4 weeks later...

I have have 10.6.3 running very stable as was my 10.6.2 installation. The only problem I have not been able to resolve in my E8200 is being recognized as a core 2 solo. I installed using P5QL_EPU files downloaded earlier in the thread. Any suggestions?

Hey, glad my guide helped some people.

Now I'm looking at installing SnoLeo, and I'm following your guide, sweatyone, however, it's not working for me - I get the message "Unable to find mach_kernel" when Chameleon tries to boot from the 10GB partition.

Late update, I know.....

From what I recall, you need to have at least one other partition defined somewhere (Anywhere). When the initial chameleon screen comes up, you need to change your partition selection at least once. It will then work.

I have have 10.6.3 running very stable as was my 10.6.2 installation. The only problem I have not been able to resolve in my E8200 is being recognized as a core 2 solo. I installed using P5QL_EPU files downloaded earlier in the thread. Any suggestions?
See post #15 of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

help me. I have a p5ql/epu but a first boot gives me an error: boot0:error

in my second pc, which has always a p5ql/epu, it give me another error and say that you need restart the computer.

how can I resolve that problem???

can you help meee........?!?!

I changed setting in the bios.

• 1 month later...
Guest vexing000

i'm stuck! i get through the first install using collingwood's directions. here's my rig:

asus p5ql/epu of course

intel core 2 duo E7500

2 gigs, ddr2 1066

nvidia 9500gt

samsung 1tb sata

maxtor 100gig ide

nec dvd+/-rw ide

(also 4gig flash and 500gig external available if needed)

initially ipc 10.5.6 didn't boot when burnt using power iso. got it working when burnt with cdburner xp. both times to a no-name 4.5gig dvd-r, slowest speed. set bios to boot my dvd drive and set sata to AHCI. also enabled both ACPI options. i used:

"cpus=1 -x32 -v -f" (i know, probably a little overzealous, but i've been reading lots of forums)

was able to format my samsung and get through the install. i checked: ipc OSx86, all the languages, the general video driver for nvidia (forgot the name), intel ICH10 sata, realtek, patched usb, NOT cpus=1 (took collingwood's advice), firewire, IOUSB, sata (2 choices "new" and "old", i chose "new"), IOPCIFamily, shutdown/restart, appleSMBIOS, chameleon w/ DSDT, DSDT patcher gui, kext helper. i looked for ACPI fix as collingwood suggests but i didn't have it on my list... important?

on the reboot i reset bios to boot from my samsung and left all other settings as they were for the install. when i type:

"cpus=1 -x32 -v -f"

i get a hang on the lines:

"MAC framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO headers"

if i leave off everything except "cpus=1" then i get the cool apple picture background and the loading thing spins but it never loads (left it for hours). I believe this is where its hanging in the debug mode.

now that i'm stuck i've installed xp back to my maxtor to get back on these forums. help! thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Thanks sweatyone and all others who contributed this tread.

It took me a while to figure out but the boot CD that sweatyone posted did the trick.

I now have 10.6.4 runing on my PC.

My rig:

ASUS P5QL/EPU

Pentium E5200 (Shows up as Core 2 Duo)

ATI 4350 HD (could not get it working so I'm using ATI X600 for now)

I updated to 10.6.4 and then used Tony's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install Chamelon

I will attempt the 4350 install using the sticky in ATI part of the forum.

Hey everybody... sry for my worst english ;)

I installed iPC 10.5.6. and it works...fine... Now i want to update to SnowLeopard (original disc), but after making USB bootloader etc the installation progress starts, and after 30seconds black screen... :)

Is it a have to to update first to iDeneb 10.5.7.? Works the USB Bootloader with iPC 10.5.6? I'm a greenhorn, so pls help me ;)

I have the newer BIOS version, is that possible to run my Quad? Now i already have to start OSX with cpus=1... I'm afraid to flash BIOS to the older version, this is my WorkstationPC...

The steps ive done:

- Successful install of iPC (runs with cpus=1 in cause of the newer BIOS version i think)

- made some partitions, one for the new OSX and one to clone the retail disc to partition

- made the USB Bootloader [install Chameleon and PCI efi Bootfile (the bootfile was invisible i download tinkertool and make it visible to delete it and copy the one i've downloaded here in, hope this was right) and put in all the files u've uploaded Sweatyone]

PLS HELP ;) i have 5000er graphics so in 10.5. with 1024 solution it is not possible to work effective in photoshop ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all Sorry for the bump to the post. I have a P5QL/EPU running AsusTek 0408 bios. I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz with an nVidia 9800GT. I have tried time and time again to get an install to work using an EmpireEFI disc and always keep getting an EBIOS Error: Error 0x09 when i try to run the retail install cd (i even bought a new disc just to make sure). I changed the AHCI back to Enchanced IDE and now I do not receive the EBIOS error and am able to launch into the Installer. Will not running in AHCI cause me problems later? Thanks in advance for any response.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i have a p5ql/epu and i installed succesfully snow leopard 10.6

but i got KernelPanic when i upgrade to 10.6.4

i always boot with -x -v and when i boot after 10.6.4 upgrade i have "FakeSMC key not found msds, lenght -6"

any suggestion??

i've bios mod v0408

and ati hd4670