VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hi all

first thanks for all the effort and hats off for the amazing results.

I have a supermicro X7DB8 with two Xeon E5420, I used to run Leopard Server 10.5.8 VM inside ESX4.0 just fine (but I installed so long ago I forgot the details). Today I moved to ESXi 4.1 with the intention to install 10.6 Server. I maybe missing something, I uploaded and installed the darwin310 package, made a freebsd64 vm and run it once, edited the vmx (attached), pressed F8 at boot and entered rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x, but I get the ACPI error immediately (see screenshot). What I am doing wrong? The image is retail SLS disk, I can try to map the physical dvdrom or rerip it but it works fine in Fusion.

Thanks in advance for your help

post-4091-1288830970_thumb.png

MacOSX_Server_10.6.txt

Hi all

first thanks for all the effort and hats off for the amazing results.

I have a supermicro X7DB8 with two Xeon E5420, I used to run Leopard Server 10.5.8 VM inside ESX4.0 just fine (but I installed so long ago I forgot the details). Today I moved to ESXi 4.1 with the intention to install 10.6 Server. I maybe missing something, I uploaded and installed the darwin310 package, made a freebsd64 vm and run it once, edited the vmx (attached), pressed F8 at boot and entered rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x, but I get the ACPI error immediately (see screenshot). What I am doing wrong? The image is retail SLS disk, I can try to map the physical dvdrom or rerip it but it works fine in Fusion.

Thanks in advance for your help

mow,

Your system should be fine to run OS X Snow Leopard under ESXi 4.1, need to change one setting in your VMX file as follows:

smc.present = "FALSE"

Otherwise looks OK, the other requirements are that your VT-x is enabled and you have the retail DVD in the ESXi Servers DVD drive or in the local PC's DVD drive where you are running the VMware vSphere Client. After you press F8 ensure you can see your DVD mounted, if not press F5 one or more times until you can see your DVD, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1565271

Then try booting without any parameters, if it does not work try any or all of the following:

rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x rd=disk1s3

rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v rd=disk1s3 busratio=7

rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel busratio=7 –notscverify

I have used a busratio of 7 as your processor (Xeon E5420) has a busratio of 7.5, so you may also try 7.5 or even 8.

Good luck, MSoK!

Thanks Mac Son of Knife!

The problem is that I do everything remotely, I have a pc in the server room to which I connect via Teamviewer from my mac, and of course the F-keys don't work :) It does boot but it stucks at the boot with timeout on the disk, but it doesn't matter because I could get a SLS vm installed in fusion and then migrated to the ESXi with the standalone converter. After a quick edit of the vmx file it's up and running! Now I need to look into the 10.6.0 -> 10.6.4 upgrade...

Thanks Mac Son of Knife!

The problem is that I do everything remotely, I have a pc in the server room to which I connect via Teamviewer from my mac, and of course the F-keys don't work :( It does boot but it stucks at the boot with timeout on the disk, but it doesn't matter because I could get a SLS vm installed in fusion and then migrated to the ESXi with the standalone converter. After a quick edit of the vmx file it's up and running! Now I need to look into the 10.6.0 -> 10.6.4 upgrade...

Experience has shown, the best way is to download the 10.6.4 combo update from the Apple site, then copy it to your ESXi box via the vSphere Client, then mount the dmg file in to your OS X, and install. The software update route can have problems, but may work for you.

Hi all

I've been on here previous - and said I'd be back once I had upgraded my ESXi host. So I have a freshly installed 4.1 host.

I've got Darwin 310 and the VM up and running - after starting the 1st boot I get the initial light grey screen followed by a dark grey screen and the spinning wheel - where it stops progressing.

The boot was started with rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -f -v -x rd=disk1s3 - I've not got to the 2nd boot yet......

Hoping it's something straight forward. I've tried IDE disk - current vmx is for SCSi.

My vmx file is as follows: (I'd have attached it but it crashes Safari 4 whenever I try and attach something on this forum).

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

nvram = "OSX.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "OSX"

extendedConfigFile = "OSX.vmxf"

floppy0.present = "TRUE"

numvcpus = "2"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "OSX.vmdk"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/4cc5c7ee-170c8ec2-56a6-000e0cbc2e38/ISO/OSX/Mac OS X Install DVD.ISO"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

chipset.onlineStandby = "FALSE"

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

uuid.location = "56 4d ce 27 8a d0 33 d4-b8 e4 ea 72 78 77 13 81"

uuid.bios = "56 4d ce 27 8a d0 33 d4-b8 e4 ea 72 78 77 13 81"

vc.uuid = "52 51 3e 51 68 21 ec e6-af 0b 18 4d d2 01 a4 8e"

snapshot.action = "keep"

sched.cpu.min = "0"

sched.cpu.units = "mhz"

sched.cpu.shares = "normal"

sched.mem.minsize = "0"

sched.mem.shares = "normal"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:77:13:81"

vmci0.id = "2021069697"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4cc5c7ee-170c8ec2-56a6-000e0cbc2e38/OSX/OSX-6288475a.vswp"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

hostCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"

hostCPUID.1 = "0001067a000208000408e3fdbfebfbff"

hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"

guestCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"

guestCPUID.1 = "0001067a00010800800822010febfbff"

guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"

userCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"

userCPUID.1 = "0001067a00020800000822010febfbff"

userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"

evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.resent = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:2.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:2.deviceType = "mouse"

Hi all

I've been on here previous - and said I'd be back once I had upgraded my ESXi host. So I have a freshly installed 4.1 host.

I've got Darwin 310 and the VM up and running - after starting the 1st boot I get the initial light grey screen followed by a dark grey screen and the spinning wheel - where it stops progressing.

The boot was started with rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -f -v -x rd=disk1s3 - I've not got to the 2nd boot yet......

Hoping it's something straight forward. I've tried IDE disk - current vmx is for SCSi.

My vmx file is as follows: (I'd have attached it but it crashes Safari 4 whenever I try and attach something on this forum).

SnapperNZ,

Welcome back, all looks OK with your VMX other than the following:

smc.resent = "FALSE" should be smc.present = "FALSE"

I am sure it was just a typo but important to be correct, this just might let you progress otherwise try without any parameters once you can see your DVD / ISO after you press F8 followed by F5. If you need the legacy_kernel parameters then we might need to add a busratio setting, so need your vmware.log file attaching, try Firefox or even IE, and details of your CPU so we can set the correct busratio.

SnapperNZ,

Welcome back, all looks OK with your VMX other than the following:

smc.resent = "FALSE" should be smc.present = "FALSE"

I am sure it was just a typo but important to be correct, this just might let you progress otherwise try without any parameters once you can see your DVD / ISO after you press F8 followed by F5. If you need the legacy_kernel parameters then we might need to add a busratio setting, so need your vmware.log file attaching, try Firefox or even IE, and details of your CPU so we can set the correct busratio.

Excellent, thanks for this MSoK and well spotted on the typo!

I'll give this a go tomorrow and report back - with the logs if required.

Appreciate you getting back to me.

OK so no luck.

Something I noticed - when I press F8 at boot I see the media (network and DVD boot options) I get boot: - if I press F5 nothing happens. I figure this isn't important - but wanted to confirm?

So I tired a straight boot and it does the same as any parameters. Light grey screen of the installer turns to dark grey, media is still being accessed for a while but the dark grey screen is what I am left with - I don't get the actual installer screen with disk utility etc.

So these VMware logs - what logs do I need?

I'm determined to get this up and running - even though it's kind of annoying me now :)

OK so no luck.

Something I noticed - when I press F8 at boot I see the media (network and DVD boot options) I get boot: - if I press F5 nothing happens. I figure this isn't important - but wanted to confirm?

So I tired a straight boot and it does the same as any parameters. Light grey screen of the installer turns to dark grey, media is still being accessed for a while but the dark grey screen is what I am left with - I don't get the actual installer screen with disk utility etc.

So these VMware logs - what logs do I need?

I'm determined to get this up and running - even though it's kind of annoying me now ;)

Please remain calm, a technical challenge is best tackled when not annoyed, or as we say cold, and I am sure we can sort out the issue(s), I guess we need to confirm your exact situation.

So some information we require:

Detailed spec of your ESXi Box, well CPU mainly

Details of your OS X Media, ideally retail OS X 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 purchased from Apple

Copy of your VMX file (stored with your VMDK on the ESXi Server, so attach using vSphere Client and download to your local PC)

Copy of your vmware.log file (stored with your VMDK on the ESXi Server, so attach using vSphere Client and download to your local PC)

In terms of your current boot process have a look at a couple of posts for comparison:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1577146

Please remain calm, a technical challenge is best tackled when not annoyed, or as we say cold, and I am sure we can sort out the issue(s), I guess we need to confirm your exact situation.

So some information we require:

Detailed spec of your ESXi Box, well CPU mainly

Details of your OS X Media, ideally retail OS X 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 purchased from Apple

Copy of your VMX file (stored with your VMDK on the ESXi Server, so attach using vSphere Client and download to your local PC)

Copy of your vmware.log file (stored with your VMDK on the ESXi Server, so attach using vSphere Client and download to your local PC)

In terms of your current boot process have a look at a couple of posts for comparison:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1577146

Thanks MSoK. I'll keep positive :)

The host is an HP DC7900 (small form factor PC) - the CPU is an Intel E8400 3GHz

The media is 10.6.0 retail

Log and vmx attached - thanks heaps for having a look! Very kind of you.

I'll give those additional install options a go now and report back in 5.

Snapper

vmware.txt

OSX.txt

Has anyone attempted the jump to 10.6.5 yet? Seems broken to me. Got a Kernel Panic immediately on first logon after the upgrade. Has hung shortly after on subsequent reboots.

I dropped back to 10.6.4 and things seem better again.

Not a complaint - just wanted to try it and report results.

Thanks MSoK. I'll keep positive :D

The host is an HP DC7900 (small form factor PC) - the CPU is an Intel E8400 3GHz

The media is 10.6.0 retail

Log and vmx attached - thanks heaps for having a look! Very kind of you.

I'll give those additional install options a go now and report back in 5.

Snapper

No luck with the optional boot switches sadly. I have a new host arriving in a few weeks, a server-grade piece of hardware, perhaps more suitable anyway. The PC is OK, but perhaps not grunty enough?

Has anyone attempted the jump to 10.6.5 yet? Seems broken to me. Got a Kernel Panic immediately on first logon after the upgrade. Has hung shortly after on subsequent reboots.
I moved to 10.6.5 yesterday, with a 10.6.4 kernel. It's working.

I retained

mach_kernel from 10.6.4 (the one I built and found in vmsl)

System.kext from 10.6.4

Before restarting I nuked

AppleProfileFamily.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement*.kext

syslog shows that AppleUSBUHCI and AppleUSBEHCI fail to load because they need 10.6.5 kernel, but other than that all is well. I guess USB may not be working, but I'm using PS/2 mouse drivers.

I'll build a new kernel for 10.6.5 as soon as Apple publishes xnu.

I moved to 10.6.5 yesterday, with a 10.6.4 kernel. It's working.

I retained

mach_kernel from 10.6.4 (the one I built and found in vmsl)

System.kext from 10.6.4

Before restarting I nuked

AppleProfileFamily.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement*.kext

syslog shows that AppleUSBUHCI and AppleUSBEHCI fail to load because they need 10.6.5 kernel, but other than that all is well. I guess USB may not be working, but I'm using PS/2 mouse drivers.

I'll build a new kernel for 10.6.5 as soon as Apple publishes xnu.

If you have a supported CPU 10.6.5 is fine as are the 10.6.6 developer seeds.

I dropped back to 10.6.4 and things seem better again.

Not a complaint - just wanted to try it and report results.

I upgraded from a 10.6.0 Install to 10.6.5 today and everything works fine. 

Did you boot with -v -x -f the first time after the upgrade?

I upgraded from a 10.6.0 Install to 10.6.5 today and everything works fine. 

Did you boot with -v -x -f the first time after the upgrade?

No, I didn't. I remember doing that as part of the original install process but didn't realize it was something to be done at upgrade time (don't think I did it when upgrading from 10.6 to 10.6.3 and 10.6.4). I can retry the upgrade and see if that helps.

Excellent job !

A few little points to add into the documentation concerning the ESX(i) configurations:

If you want to verify whether or not your CPU is compatible, the best method is to use the VMware cpuid utility, available at: http://www.vmware.com/download/shared_utilities.html. It's an ISO image. Burn it to a CD, boot your machine and look for the line "Supports 64 bit VMware". If it's yes, you're good to go, if it's no, stop beating your head against the desk and find another machine. Side note: Xeon based HP DL380 G4's are a no go, but DELL PE2950 gen III with Xeon 5450's work peachy.

When you copy up the vmware-darwin-200 package to the ESX server, make sure that you put it on local storage and don't run the commands over and over again from a shared volume since your backups will be overwritten each time you run it on another server. Note that you will have to run this script on all the servers in a cluster in order for an OSX VM to be able to move freely and reboot from any of the ESX servers.

Do NOT run the "setup.sh --install" twice or you will start getting messages that darwinGuest is not a supported GuestOS.

On ESX Server I used the LSI Parallel card and that didn't work. The disks show up, but as read only. Switching to IDE seems to be the only currrent choice on ESX for the moment. You're limited to 2 disks with that configuration, but you can always add the GlobalSAN iSCSI driver for direct iSCSI attachments later if required (or NFS or whatever turns your crank).

Congratulations guys - awesome work!

On an ESXi host I had to set :

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

Else any edit box was filled with "...." chars (dots) when it was focused.

One point I should mention I was accessing the vShpere client via a rdesktop of a windows 2k3 server, as there's no Linux GUI client for ESXi. Although I've never experienced this type of keyboard issue in the past, it could be caused by the chaining of UIs :

X on Linux -> RDP on Windows -> vSphere -> OSx UI.

Also, LSI Logic Parallel worked, no read /write issue what so ever, as a poster mentioned earlier. I might give the the ParaVirtual a go if I do this again, as the performance gains with Linux & Windows Server guests is quite noticeable, we'll see if it supports it at all.

Great guide, works a treat, many thanks.

On an ESXi host I had to set :

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

Else any edit box was filled with "...." chars (dots) when it was focused.

One point I should mention I was accessing the vShpere client via a rdesktop of a windows 2k3 server, as there's no Linux GUI client for ESXi. Although I've never experienced this type of keyboard issue in the past, it could be caused by the chaining of UIs :

X on Linux -> RDP on Windows -> vSphere -> OSx UI.

Also, LSI Logic Parallel worked, no read /write issue what so ever, as a poster mentioned earlier. I might give the the ParaVirtual a go if I do this again, as the performance gains with Linux & Windows Server guests is quite noticeable, we'll see if it supports it at all.

Great guide, works a treat, many thanks.

Keyboard issues are very probably due to the chaining involved. As for using the paravirtual SCSI adapter, forget it there are no drivers for OS X.

Just wanted to report in I was able to get SL Server running on ESXi 4.1

I used the darwin200.zip from the original thread, then over wrote the contents of darwin310b6 with the new darwin.iso

after modifying the vmx file as described in manual.pdf everything works as expected.

System boots, hit f5 (refresh) so install disk appears. type in -v rd=disk1s3 and away the install goes. I currently have 10.6.0, .1, .2, .3 installed and running before I ran out of space. I will be moving over to a larger datastore this week which will allow me to test up to 10.6.5 (current 11/17/11).

So my problems: I cant seem to get SL Workstation to boot off the install disc. Same with Server version of 10.5

My assumption is the darwin.iso I am using has the same workstation limitation as the official fusion darwin.iso would. Thoughts?

Just wanted to report in I was able to get SL Server running on ESXi 4.1

I used the darwin200.zip from the original thread, then over wrote the contents of darwin310b6 with the new darwin.iso

after modifying the vmx file as described in manual.pdf everything works as expected.

System boots, hit f5 (refresh) so install disk appears. type in -v rd=disk1s3 and away the install goes. I currently have 10.6.0, .1, .2, .3 installed and running before I ran out of space. I will be moving over to a larger datastore this week which will allow me to test up to 10.6.5 (current 11/17/11).

So my problems: I cant seem to get SL Workstation to boot off the install disc. Same with Server version of 10.5

My assumption is the darwin.iso I am using has the same workstation limitation as the official fusion darwin.iso would. Thoughts?

First I would move to the latest darwin iso (310) from Donk, and you need to do an uninstall and the re-install to get the latest functionality. The SL Client version should run fine, provided it is a retail DVD not a grey recovery version, also Leopard (10.5) Server should be fine, provided you have the relevant settings for your VMX, see the original manual on the fisrt page of this topic.

Hi,

Since this thread has grown to 100 pages, I apologize in advance for asking the questions that have probably been answered here:

1. Can Mac OS 10.6.x be installed under ESXi using this method? The original manual seems to imply that Mac OS 10.6.x can be installed under VMWare Fusion only, but I may not be reading it correctly.

2. Can Mac OS 10.6.5 Server be installed under ESXi?

3. Does this method work for ESXi 4.1 or should I stick to ESXi 4.0 U2?

4. Does this method work with ESXi running on a server with Intel Xeon 5600 series CPUs? Specifically, Intel Xeon 5620?

I have been running ESXi 4.0 U2 on a Dell PowerEdge T410 server with Intel Xeon 5620 CPU and 12 GB or RAM. The server is on the hardware compatibility list for ESXi 4. I have been using this server to run my Cisco VoIP lab (8 different voice servers - Windows Server and Linux Red Hat based). I would like to try to install Mac OS 10.6.5 on this server just to see how it works. My primary purpose for this server is to host my iTunes library and Aperture library so that Apple TV (v2) could stream music, TV shows, and play slide shows of our family photos directly from this Max OS VM running in VMWare ESXi so that I won't have to fire up our MacBook Pro every time we want to use Apple TV (v2). If this works well, I will consider purchasing the Mac OS X 10.6 Server software and install it under ESXi.

Thanks

First I would move to the latest darwin iso (310) from Donk, and you need to do an uninstall and the re-install to get the latest functionality. The SL Client version should run fine, provided it is a retail DVD not a grey recovery version, also Leopard (10.5) Server should be fine, provided you have the relevant settings for your VMX, see the original manual on the fisrt page of this topic.

Thanks for the quick response! I was wrong, I am using this package: vmware-darwin310-macosx1064.zip Is this the latest?

Reinstall to get latest functionality? Do you mean uninstall on the ESXi host, drop the newest darwin.iso on the host and then rerun the script so everything is signed and happy?

Both the SL workstation & L server are legit copies. I broke the seal on 10.5 and SL was handed to me by an Apple employee :) Its running on the hackintosh I am typing from :)

The VMX configs are correct according to the pdf in the first post. I have SL server running w/o any issues. Thanks again for the help.

FYI: You can use vCenter to (almost) properly clone VMs. You just have to modify the vmx file from guest os = "other" back to darwin10-64 or whatever it was previously. It will complain a LOT but doesnt stop you from doing the clone. The advantage of course is it changes the disk name and where it is located properly. I havent tested beyond this. I will test further in the future and report back.

Thanks for the quick response! I was wrong, I am using this package: vmware-darwin310-macosx1064.zip Is this the latest?

Reinstall to get latest functionality? Do you mean uninstall on the ESXi host, drop the newest darwin.iso on the host and then rerun the script so everything is signed and happy?

Both the SL workstation & L server are legit copies. I broke the seal on 10.5 and SL was handed to me by an Apple employee :) Its running on the hackintosh I am typing from :)

The VMX configs are correct according to the pdf in the first post. I have SL server running w/o any issues. Thanks again for the help.

FYI: You can use vCenter to (almost) properly clone VMs. You just have to modify the vmx file from guest os = "other" back to darwin10-64 or whatever it was previously. It will complain a LOT but doesnt stop you from doing the clone. The advantage of course is it changes the disk name and where it is located properly. I havent tested beyond this. I will test further in the future and report back.

I take that back. When I run the vmware-darwin310-macosx1064.zip darwin.iso I get the below screen. I am using the beta as originally posted because it would load... What am I missing?

darwin310_macosx1064_boot.tiff