VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

Also OK on ESXi 4.1 Update 1.

I have some issues with 10.6.6 combo:

Flash sites no longer work (Safari hangs and must be killed manually)

Mouse is "fast" and weird

Overall performance is sluggish

Does anyone have these issues?

Upgraded from 10.6.4.

CPU is Intel i5-430M

Hi, I have similiar video / mouse performance problems, after upgrade from 10.6.4 to 10.6.7 and using latest darwin.iso on ESXI 4.1

My mouse is slow and laggy /stattering.

OK,

I am having an issue with running a system that boots with EFI64 (compatible with 64 bit). The base system is a dual CPU (5600 series Xeon) box with Windows 7 64bit and VMware Workstation 7.

Installing Snow Leopard with darwin10-64 and the darwin.iso method gives an EFI32 system that runs smooth. However, I've been unable to run a system with VMware's EFI firmware and ignore any existing methods to obtain a EFI64 system (so I can run the kernel in 64bit mode).

Any help will be appreciated. I can't virtualize OS X with good enough performance on my Macbook, so I decided to try with my workstation.

My relevant config bits:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"
firmware = "efi"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
smc.present = "FALSE"
vmi.present = "FALSE"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "2"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "1024"

Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

A further update, Workstation 7.1.4 and Player 3.1.4 have been released in the last couple of days, and both work fine with OS X 10.6.7.

Hi, I have similiar video / mouse performance problems, after upgrade from 10.6.4 to 10.6.7 and using latest darwin.iso on ESXI 4.1

My mouse is slow and laggy /stattering.

Which is the latest darwin.iso for the ESXi 4.1 I updated to 10.6.7 from .6 and mouse is not working

Thanks for the thread and thanks for the ISO Donk!

I have been trying to get OS X 10.6 retail working on ESX 4.1 Update 1 for the last couple of days and today I can say its done :)

Host hardware is a bit beefy (its basically a test box for work) Xeon E550 (x2), 48GB DDR3 ECC, I don't think the rest of the hardware matters because the install is on the VM.

I copied Donk's latest image vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 on the ESX host, chmod +x setup.sh and installed it. Uploaded a snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.iso image that created using PowerISO from a dmg file I created originally from a retail DVD for my mac mini.

Connected directly to ESX host, created a custom VM with the recommended configuration and a SCSI HDD (there is not option to create a IDE HDD in the create new vm wizard) but before completing the VM, select edit settings before power on and then delete the SCSI HDD and create a new HDD now you will be offered an option for IDE. Also add a USB device to the VM.

Dont power on VM yet, we need to edit the vmx file and add the following settings

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101" ( not sure if this required, but I threw it in there)

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

Now attach the retail ISO uploaded earlier to the VMFS volume to the Virtual CD-ROM Drive and power on the VM. the VM will boot and start install from the ISO. Make sure you you use disk util to format the vmdk before you start installing and Run through the installer and reboot.

At this point I did not have any mouse or keyboard. oddly when I checked the vmx file the ich7m.present was set to FALSE, remember I set it to true earlier not sure what caused it. I powered off the VM and then edited the vmx file and fixed it and re-checked the rest of settings.

powered the vm back on and volia, everything is cool, installed vmware tools package from the iso, reboot, shutdown all works perfect. Cool.

edit:uploaded the final vmx file if you guys need it for reference.

Now on to Lion :D

OS_X_Server_10.6.rar

Thanks for the thread and thanks for the ISO Donk!

I have been trying to get OS X 10.6 retail working on ESX 4.1 Update 1 for the last couple of days and today I can say its done :hysterical:

Host hardware is a bit beefy (its basically a test box for work) Xeon E550 (x2), 48GB DDR3 ECC, I don't think the rest of the hardware matters because the install is on the VM.

I copied Donk's latest image vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 on the ESX host, chmod +x setup.sh and installed it. Uploaded a snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.iso image that created using PowerISO from a dmg file I created originally from a retail DVD for my mac mini.

Connected directly to ESX host, created a custom VM with the recommended configuration and a SCSI HDD (there is not option to create a IDE HDD in the create new vm wizard) but before completing the VM, select edit settings before power on and then delete the SCSI HDD and create a new HDD now you will be offered an option for IDE. Also add a USB device to the VM.

Dont power on VM yet, we need to edit the vmx file and add the following settings

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101" ( not sure if this required, but I threw it in there)

Now attach the retail ISO uploaded earlier to the VMFS volume to the Virtual CD-ROM Drive and power on the VM. the VM will boot and start install from the ISO. Make sure you you use disk util to format the vmdk before you start installing and Run through the installer and reboot.

At this point I did not have any mouse or keyboard. oddly when I checked the vmx file the ich7m.present was set to FALSE, remember I set it to true earlier not sure what caused it. I powered off the VM and then edited the vmx file and fixed it and re-checked the rest of settings.

powered the vm back on and volia, everything is cool, installed vmware tools package from the iso, reboot, shutdown all works perfect. Cool.

edit:uploaded the final vmx file if you guys need it for reference.

Now on to Lion :D

jaikumarm,

Thanks for the success story, always nice to hear, plus your sppecific installation experience. If your CPU(s) are Xeon 5500 series, then the CPUID mask is not required, it only effects Core i and Xeon 5600 series CPU's and only for 10.6.3.

You will need to be at 10.6.6 for Lion, not tried it under ESXi 4.1.u1, but Lion works fine using Albert's "Unlocker" and Workstation / Player 7.1.4 / 3.1.4.

I've been able to get to the OS X install screen and it attempts to install. Right before the installation is completed (1 minute remaining), the screen goes black and this pops up.

2h8d28i.jpg

I've edited the vmx files with the suggested fixes and no luck.

CPU: i7 920

GPU: GTX 295

Any ideas?

Update 1: Edited 3 posts into one

Update 2: The files can now be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-voodoo

http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support)

Update 2: Would everyone make sure they add or change lines in VMX to this. It solves quite a few problems:

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:

• VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Problem Resolution

To help me understand some of the issues that are being seen can I ask everyone who has a problem to post the following information please when first logging the problem:

• VMware product and version being used
  • Host operating system
  • Host CPU
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
  • Please attach the VMX file
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file

(Please remember I have stated that I do not support anything other than vanilla with this method.)

For manual clarifications and additional updates from testing; e.g. ESX configuration please use your judgement as to whether to post this information. Also remember I do this in my spare time, and have full time job, family and other interests, so I will answer when I can.

Experimental Package for Core 2 Quad and Core i7

Various issues have been raised with these processors. I have put together an experimental update to the package which uses the Voodoo 2 alpha 3 kernel. If you are having issues then please try the changes. If you are not experiencing any problems do not use this package until such time as it is rolled into the main one. If you have a non-Core processor but that is VT-x enabled such as P4D, then this may also be useful to you.

If you do try it then read the manual and the update PDFs thoroughly before starting.

hi, where do i download the package stated in the manual from?

I've successfully installed OS X in vmware. My final question: is there a way to get OS X to run in 64-bit? I have the i7 920 and would like to take advantage of this.

I run this in terminal and think I don't have the 64-bit kernal:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

Is there a fix for this?

Hi all, thanks to all the great tutorials and work done here I have finally gotten my MAC running on ESXi 4.1. I have even upgraded to 10.6.7 without any problems. The only issues that I do have are that I do not have any sound and video playback is very choppy, even when viewing via VNC.

I have installed the great video and audio packages from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2 but even after reboot I still have no sound and in my MAC it shows as 'no ouput devices can be found' when looking in system preferences/sound

Do I have to make any changes to my vmx file to get sound working? Is it even possible to get sound working on ESXi 4.1? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, thanks to all the great tutorials and work done here I have finally gotten my MAC running on ESXi 4.1. I have even upgraded to 10.6.7 without any problems. The only issues that I do have are that I do not have any sound and video playback is very choppy, even when viewing via VNC.

I have installed the great video and audio packages from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2 but even after reboot I still have no sound and in my MAC it shows as 'no ouput devices can be found' when looking in system preferences/sound

Do I have to make any changes to my vmx file to get sound working? Is it even possible to get sound working on ESXi 4.1? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok all the information has been great and I have attempted to read and get up to speed.

I am attempting to run Mac os x 10.6 on ESXi 4.1u1.

I have run through the PDF Guides and forums have setup according to what it says along with setting up the VMX file.

I have installed darwin310 as stated on the esxi box successfully.

The VMX file has the following line:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

When booting the Vm i see the following error: "the guest operating system 'darwin64guest' is not supported'. Someone else has raised the same issue but I was unsure whether this was rectified.

Many thanks for your help. Please let me know if you require further details from me.

Regards

Kiran

Ok all the information has been great and I have attempted to read and get up to speed.

I am attempting to run Mac os x 10.6 on ESXi 4.1u1.

I have run through the PDF Guides and forums have setup according to what it says along with setting up the VMX file.

I have installed darwin310 as stated on the esxi box successfully.

The VMX file has the following line:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

When booting the Vm i see the following error: "the guest operating system 'darwin64guest' is not supported'. Someone else has raised the same issue but I was unsure whether this was rectified.

Many thanks for your help. Please let me know if you require further details from me.

Regards

Kiran

Start machine from host not vcenter

Start machine from host not vcenter

yozh, is right, but just for clarification, use the vSphere Client and talk directly to the ESXi Server you want OS X to run on. Using the vSphere Client linked through vCenter Server will not work and give errors similar to ksolanki's post.

Hello

I tried to install on VMWare ESXi 4.1.0u1 MacOSX Server 10.6.3 from an ISO created on MacOSX from the retail DVD with the Apple disk utility by saving the image in the CD/DVD master format and replacing the ".cdr" suffix to ".iso". Unfortunately I was not able to boot with darwin.iso 310_1064 from this MacOSX Server installation ISO image. In the end I attached a physical DVD-ROM usb-drive to the server and configured it as a passthrough device in ESXi. In this way I was able to boot the DVD iso image and could install MacOSX Server successfully. Although the installation worked with the physical DVD, I would like to place the somewhat "stupid" question: how can be created a working ISO from the retail DVD on a MacOSX Computer, as this would be more comfortable and flexbile for installation on VMWare ESXi?

Thank you for any suggestions,

Relume

Hello

First I would like to thank to all peoples that made it possible that MacOSX (Server) can be installed on VMWare ESXi 4.x! This is really some "ray of hope" after Apple has decided to discontinue the rack mountable Xserve models last November.

I have now running a test installation of MacOSX Server 10.6.7 (installation first with 10.6.3 retail DVD) with ESXi 4.1.0u1 with darwin.iso 310_1064 on a SuperMicro SuperServer with max. 4 System nodes (actually only one single node with one Xeon L5620 CPU).

As newbie to the installation of MacOSX under VMWare ESXi i would like to ask, if the "simulated" virtual guest system, actually shows up as a minimac 2.1 could be altered to be recognized as mac pro 5.1 or xserve 3.1? Also I am wondering, if the recognized mac type or mac model has some influence to the performance of the installed guest OS (MacOSX Server 10.6.7)?

Thank you very much in advance,

reluem

You will require a third party application to do this in windows but on a MAC you will need to run a couple of commands.

On windows : MagicISO I believe should do the trick.

On a Mac : http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/28/easily-conv...-images-to-iso/. Here is a guide you could possible use.

Thanks

ksolanki, is correct, however I have found ImgBurn to be the best option for creating an iso from the original OS X DVD under Windows. Link to the relevant website in the following post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

Donk,

Your "uninstall" program does not restore the VMware Fusion "original" darwin.iso file. You have to remember that VMware Fusion comes with a darwin.iso file, before your install program overwrites it.

Please correct this problem and give me back my "original" VMware Fusion darwin.iso file (once I choose to uninstall your "VMware OS X Guest Package"). Just because VMWare Workstation does not have a darwin.iso (by default), does not mean VMWare Fusion's "original" darwin.iso file should not be restored.

Donk,

Your "uninstall" program does not restore the VMware Fusion "original" darwin.iso file. You have to remember that VMware Fusion comes with a darwin.iso file, before your install program overwrites it.

Please correct this problem and give me back my "original" VMware Fusion darwin.iso file (once I choose to uninstall your "VMware OS X Guest Package"). Just because VMWare Workstation does not have a darwin.iso (by default), does not mean VMWare Fusion's "original" darwin.iso file should not be restored.

Thanks for finding the bug and sorry for the problem. The script is supposed to restore but I had a mistake in the uninstall section. Copy and paste the code below to the setup.sh file to fix it.

#!/bin/sh
set -e

echo VMware ISO Signature Creator 2.0.0
echo ==================================

# Ensure we only use unmodified commands
export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

# Find out what OS we're running under and set relevant path
# Currently supports:
# Darwin - Fusion on Mac OS X
# Linux - works with both hosted products e.g. Server 2.0 and ESX 4.0 Service Console
# VMkernel - work with ESXi 4.0

OS=`uname -s`
if [ "$OS" = 'Darwin' ]; then
VMPATH='/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages'
elif [ "$OS" = 'Linux' ]; then
VMPATH='/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages'
vmware -v
elif [ "$OS" = 'VMkernel' ]; then
VMPATH='/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages'
vmware -v
else
echo Unknown operating system "$OS"!