VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

First I would move to the latest darwin iso (310) from Donk, and you need to do an uninstall and the re-install to get the latest functionality. The SL Client version should run fine, provided it is a retail DVD not a grey recovery version, also Leopard (10.5) Server should be fine, provided you have the relevant settings for your VMX, see the original manual on the fisrt page of this topic.

Ok I am stilling having some issues. I can install SL Server all day long but SL client and Leopard fail immediately at the initial boot from disk. If I use the rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel command I get a KP.

I have tried the darwin200 iso, and the latest 310 iso. It seems to act like a fusion iso. I have looked through the darwin.iso(s) but dont understand enough beyond chameleon being compiled in. Help!

I am more then willing to test, recompile or otherwise contribute but dont know where to start. I have several Dell R900s with Intel Xeon E7330 @2.4Ghz servers to test with. The currently have ESXi4.1 the build before the upfate on 11/15/10. Just let me know what I can do to contribute. I wont be able to post any logs or configs directly as the system is not hooked into the internet but I can transpose anything we might need. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok I am stilling having some issues. I can install SL Server all day long but SL client and Leopard fail immediately at the initial boot from disk. If I use the rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel command I get a KP.

I have tried the darwin200 iso, and the latest 310 iso. It seems to act like a fusion iso. I have looked through the darwin.iso(s) but dont understand enough beyond chameleon being compiled in. Help!

In your VMX file, set

timeTracker.busMultiplier = <your CPU's busratio>
timeTracker.apicBusHz = <your FSB base frequency in Hz>

This will make it possible for you to boot stock Leopard kernel in VMware's hypervisor.

It may not work for SnowLeopard, because of the lapic version issue. If you boot with guestos="freebsd...", the lapic version register is set to 0x40011, which KPs in lapic_init. If you boot with guestos="darwin...", the lapic version register is set to 0x50014, which will allow you to boot stock SnowLeopard kernel as well.

After you set the system up successfully, run the command

ioreg -frp IODeviceTree -n platform

from a Terminal, and check the value of "FSBFrequency". It's formatted as a low-endian hex number. Convert it to decimal and check if it's equal to the value you set for "apicBusHz" in the VMX file. If they're not equal, modify "apicBusHz" to be the same value as listed in the ioreg output of "FSBFrequency". Then set a new "busMultiplier" so that

busMultiplier * FSBFrequency == <your CPU's clock frequency>

Just a quick update, Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 were released yesterday by VMware, and I have updated this morning, and all appears fine with my OS X guests. One reminder the update uninstalls the previous version so you will have to install either Donk's darwin iso or Albert's unlocker once the new version of Workstation or Player has finished installing, including two re-boots, Cheers MSoK!

I am more then willing to test, recompile or otherwise contribute but dont know where to start. I have several Dell R900s with Intel Xeon E7330 @2.4Ghz servers to test with. The currently have ESXi4.1 the build before the upfate on 11/15/10. Just let me know what I can do to contribute. I wont be able to post any logs or configs directly as the system is not hooked into the internet but I can transpose anything we might need. Thanks in advance for any help.

It would be useful to have a copy of the VMX file, just to check all is OK. The post form Zenith432 is also interesting, but not sure if it is related. The darwin.iso method fixes up the ability to use client versus server version and if ESXi 4.1 the LAPIC problem goes away as was fixed in the hypervisor.

It would be useful to have a copy of the VMX file, just to check all is OK. The post form Zenith432 is also interesting, but not sure if it is related. The darwin.iso method fixes up the ability to use client versus server version and if ESXi 4.1 the LAPIC problem goes away as was fixed in the hypervisor.

@Zenith432 Thanks for the ideas... I will give them a try and report back.

@Donk Unfortunetely I cannot post the VMX file as the system is disconnected. Are you looking for anything in particular? I am sure everything is added as documented in the original pdf. I'll see if I can get the vmx out..

Thanks for everyone's response. I am sooooo close!

@Donk Unfortunetely I cannot post the VMX file as the system is disconnected. Are you looking for anything in particular? I am sure everything is added as documented in the original pdf. I'll see if I can get the vmx out..

The original PDF is way out of date. Really having the VMX is best way to have a look at what maybe causing the problem.

I'll find one of my VMX files for SL on ESXi 4.1 and post. You can then compare.

UPDATED: Attached a VMX file.

Snow_Leopard.vmx.txt

The original PDF is way out of date. Really having the VMX is best way to have a look at what maybe causing the problem.

I'll find one of my VMX files for SL on ESXi 4.1 and post. You can then compare.

Donk,

Thanks for all the work you have done to get Max OS X installed in VMWare ESXi. Provided that there are now 101 pages in this thread, and the fact that the method has undergone evolutionary changes over the course of some time, would it be possible for you to rewrite the original PDF to integrate all the latest and greatest developments that have been discussed in this thread since it was started?

People who have been reading this thread from its inception have kept track on these evolutionary changes and perhaps have been updating their own documentation with all the changes. However, for the folks who have just discovered this thread, it is all but impossible to read all 101 pages and re-engineer the evolutionary changes that this solution has been undergoing to arrive at the set of instructions that would result in a successful installation of Mac OS 10.6.5(?) Client and, hopefully, Server.

I am particularly interested in getting Mac OS X to install in VMWare ESXi 4.0 and/or VMWare ESXi 4.1. I own a few Macs and prefer running Mac OS X Client on native Apple hardware, but I would like to get Mac OS Server to run on my Dell PowerEdge T410 (Xeon 5620) that has VMWare ESXi installed on it.

I hope this could be accomplished with minimal time commitment on your part.

Thanks again for your work!

Just an FYI to all that that latest update of VMware Workstation (7.1.3 build-324285) breaks OSX completely. I have re-run the vmware-darwin-200 install and replaced the darwin.iso with the darwin-wks7 version, but no luck. There is no OSX Server option in the Select Guest Operating System page, and existing OSX installs fail with no indication as to why.

Hopefully it is something as simple as a change to a .sgi file.

Thanks.

post-15531-1290183185_thumb.jpg

Just an FYI to all that that latest update of VMware Workstation (7.1.3 build-324285) breaks OSX completely. I have re-run the vmware-darwin-200 install and replaced the darwin.iso with the darwin-wks7 version, but no luck. There is no OSX Server option in the Select Guest Operating System page, and existing OSX installs fail with no indication as to why.

Hopefully it is something as simple as a change to a .sgi file.

Thanks.

If you are using Donk's "darwin iso" method, then you never get the option to install OS X, you have to change the VMX manually, you need Albert's Unlocker method to get the option to select OS X. In either case you need to reinstall the "darwin iso", current version is 310, or the "Unlocker" once 7.1.3 has finished uninstalling the previous version and installing 7.1.3. I have updated to 7.1.3 without problems.

Donk,

Thanks for all the work you have done to get Max OS X installed in VMWare ESXi. Provided that there are now 101 pages in this thread, and the fact that the method has undergone evolutionary changes over the course of some time, would it be possible for you to rewrite the original PDF to integrate all the latest and greatest developments that have been discussed in this thread since it was started?

People who have been reading this thread from its inception have kept track on these evolutionary changes and perhaps have been updating their own documentation with all the changes. However, for the folks who have just discovered this thread, it is all but impossible to read all 101 pages and re-engineer the evolutionary changes that this solution has been undergoing to arrive at the set of instructions that would result in a successful installation of Mac OS 10.6.5(?) Client and, hopefully, Server.

I am particularly interested in getting Mac OS X to install in VMWare ESXi 4.0 and/or VMWare ESXi 4.1. I own a few Macs and prefer running Mac OS X Client on native Apple hardware, but I would like to get Mac OS Server to run on my Dell PowerEdge T410 (Xeon 5620) that has VMWare ESXi installed on it.

I hope this could be accomplished with minimal time commitment on your part.

Thanks again for your work!

I am pretty sure Donk does not currently have the time, but I am pretty close to having an updated manual, watch this space.

If you are using Donk's "darwin iso" method, then you never get the option to install OS X, you have to change the VMX manually, you need Albert's Unlocker method to get the option to select OS X. In either case you need to reinstall the "darwin iso", current version is 310, or the "Unlocker" once 7.1.3 has finished uninstalling the previous version and installing 7.1.3. I have updated to 7.1.3 without problems.

I am pretty sure Donk does not currently have the time, but I am pretty close to having an updated manual, watch this space.

MSoK:

Thanks. The uninstall wiped everything out like you said. I just ran Albert's Unlocker and now I can create OSX VM's from the GUI again. Thanks for the help. ;)

I am willing to help out. Let me know either PM or the board.

Cool. Thanks for the upload. The biggest difference I see is you have ide hard drive and I have scsi. Here is my vmx file attached. Thanks again for all the help.

This didnt make any difference. It still fails as soon as I try to boot the install disk. Its so odd that Server loads w/o any issues..

Can someone please post the link to Donk's latest "Darwin.ISO"? I deleted it by accident.

Thanks.

page 91: http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064

OSX_SLWkst_10.6.txt

I can't use my mouse and keyboard after an upgrade to 10.6.5 anymore. Has somebody an idea to fix it?

- VMware Workstation 7.1

- Windows x64

- AMD II Phenom X4 945

Here's my configuration file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "D:\Virtual Machines\darwin_snow_legacy.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:94:ac:20"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"
usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
tools.syncTime = "TRUE"
displayName = "Mac OS X 10.6"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"
uuid.location = "56 4d 80 90 63 30 37 e0-1f 8b 9e 4b e4 94 ac 20"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 80 90 63 30 37 e0-1f 8b 9e 4b e4 94 ac 20"
nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).nvram"
extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmxf"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
monitor = "release"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
smc.present = "FALSE"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "D:\Virtual Machines\Shared"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "Shared"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "session"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
mks.keyboardFilter = "off"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:1/4/1/3 autoclean:1"
usb.autoConnect.device1 = "path:1/4/1/0 autoclean:1"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-460018656"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
isolation.tools.vmdebug.disable = "TRUE"
debugStub.allow = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"

Cool. Thanks for the upload. The biggest difference I see is you have ide hard drive and I have scsi. Here is my vmx file attached. Thanks again for all the help.

This didnt make any difference. It still fails as soon as I try to boot the install disk. Its so odd that Server loads w/o any issues..

page 91: http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin310-macosx1064

I would try with IDE virtual disks as there is a problem for some users with SCSI. Unfortunately I haven't yet tracked down why it is a problem for only some folks. Also suggest backing out the time tracker changes to the VMX file. Hope it solves the problem.

I'm not connecting it directly. However even if I try that, I cant move the mouse. Probably I need to reintall everything. :/
Not really. You can boot the installation CD, and then install the PS/2 drivers from a Terminal, then set "vusb" to FALSE, and bye-bye USB.

Not really. You can boot the installation CD, and then install the PS/2 drivers from a Terminal, then set "vusb" to FALSE, and bye-bye USB.

Should just comment out the vusb settings as the darwin.iso I use to boot has the PS2 drivers embedded and loaded.

I'm not connecting it directly. However even if I try that, I cant move the mouse. Probably I need to reintall everything. :/
I just remembered there's another possible cause for this. AppleProfileFamily.kext can hang the mouse & keyboard after boot for about 5-10 minutes on some CPU models. You should always nuke it after installing a system update (or XCode). If it hangs your CPU, it may appear as if mouse/keyboard are not working, but if you wait about 10 minutes, they'll work.

I wanted to ask if there is something new about QUARTZ EXTREME support in VMWare?

Is the project still in progress or is QE in VMWare not possible?

Mathew,

As far as I am aware until either VMware release a 3D virtual graphics driver or some very clever InsanelyMac member writes one we are not going to see any support for QE in OS X guestOS's, so not any time soon?