VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hi Donk and MSoK,

First of all I wanted to say thank you and excellent work for all that you have contributed to this project. Is there any sort of way the community can help you in return for all your efforts?

I've been following this thread for a while now and it seems the process and instructions to get OSX/OSX Server up and running on ESXi has changed a bit from your initial instructions. (IE Add the CPU-ID to the VMX file, use a IDE Hard drive etc, ). Is there an updated, semi inclusive guide (as inclusive as getting an unsupported operating system on uncertain hardware to work anyway :censored2: ) for this process?

I'm trying to get OSX Server 10.6 installed on ESXi 4.1.

I currently am getting a Gray Screen of Death when I try to boot to the OSX Server Install

My Host Machine is a Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU

My VMX is attached

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the work you've done and please don't hesitate if there's anything I can do to help you.

post-670070-1286754466_thumb.jpg

OSX.txt

Hi Donk and MSoK,

First of all I wanted to say thank you and excellent work for all that you have contributed to this project. Is there any sort of way the community can help you in return for all your efforts?

I've been following this thread for a while now and it seems the process and instructions to get OSX/OSX Server up and running on ESXi has changed a bit from your initial instructions. (IE Add the CPU-ID to the VMX file, use a IDE Hard drive etc, ). Is there an updated, semi inclusive guide (as inclusive as getting an unsupported operating system on uncertain hardware to work anyway :) ) for this process?

I currently am getting a Gray Screen of Death when I try to boot to the OSX Server Install

My VMX is attached

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the work you've done and please don't hesitate if there's anything I can do to help you.

Not sure that using the CPUID will work for your CPU. Try it without the line in the VMX file, as you could be forcing the wrong code path inside the Darwin XNU kernel.

Not sure that using the CPUID will work for your CPU. Try it without the line in the VMX file, as you could be forcing the wrong code path inside the Darwin XNU kernel.

I am fairly sure you should not need the CPUID mask, one of the many good, i.e. works with 10.6.3, configurations from which we created the CPUID generic mask was a Core 2 Quad Q9300, so very close to the architecture of your CPU. But please find below the specific CPUID mask from a working C2Q, just in case your CPU is not supported and the generic mask does not work in your environment, add the following line to your VMX file and delete the current CPUID mask.

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:0111:0111"

I got snow leopard working great. But my performance is very very slow! The cpu is a dell got 2.8ghz core 2 duo and 2gb of ram. My first assumption was the ram but after reading some other post It seemed that was not the only problem. What else could be playing into this. It is a retail copy of snow leopard.

I got snow leopard working great. But my performance is very very slow! The cpu is a dell got 2.8ghz core 2 duo and 2gb of ram. My first assumption was the ram but after reading some other post It seemed that was not the only problem. What else could be playing into this. It is a retail copy of snow leopard.

We are going to need some more information if we are going to diagnose your issue, please gve a detailed description of your configuration, Host OS, version of VMware, which deployment method you are using Donk's or Albert's and additional drivers you have installed, and attach text copies of your VMX and vmware.log files.

Hi Donk and MSoK,

I've been following this thread for a while now and it seems the process and instructions to get OSX/OSX Server up and running on ESXi has changed a bit from your initial instructions. (IE Add the CPU-ID to the VMX file, use a IDE Hard drive etc, ). Is there an updated, semi inclusive guide (as inclusive as getting an unsupported operating system on uncertain hardware to work anyway ;) ) for this process?

My VMX is attached

Almost like MrFr33zE, I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.6.0 to ESXi 4.1

Attached you can find the .vmx file. I copied most part from the one posted from MrFr33zE and then edited it to match my VM.

I installed vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 with setup.sh

I start the VM with vmware-darwin310-macosx1064/darwin.iso

I pressed any key to strart up from the Preboot, I edit settings of the VM, I change the CD\DVD Drive 1 - Datastore ISO file

Changed to " Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 10A432 Retail.iso"

Selected "Connected" ("Connect at power on" was already selected)

After pressing F5 many times I get "Error parsing..." and then reboot (the screen is too fast that I can't read the rest of the sentence).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your support!

Mac_OS_X.txt

Almost like MrFr33zE, I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.6.0 to ESXi 4.1

Attached you can find the .vmx file. I copied most part from the one posted from MrFr33zE and then edited it to match my VM.

I installed vmware-darwin310-macosx1064 with setup.sh

I start the VM with vmware-darwin310-macosx1064/darwin.iso

I pressed any key to strart up from the Preboot, I edit settings of the VM, I change the CD\DVD Drive 1 - Datastore ISO file

Changed to " Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 10A432 Retail.iso"

Selected "Connected" ("Connect at power on" was already selected)

After pressing F5 many times I get "Error parsing..." and then reboot (the screen is too fast that I can't read the rest of the sentence).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your support!

The following lines need to be in your VMX file:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

This information is in the original manual at the start of this topic.

Without the guestOS set as above the darwin preboot will not happen, do not mount the darwin iso, just mount your ISO, however the one you are using does not look like you purchased it from Apple.

The following lines need to be in your VMX file:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Sorry, I thought I added them >_<

Without the guestOS set as above the darwin preboot will not happen, do not mount the darwin iso, just mount your ISO

OK, I just mounted the ISO but the VM hangs at this screen

macosxhangs.th.png

Attached you can find the new .vmx

Mac_OS_X.txt

OK, I just mounted the ISO but the VM hangs at this screen

Spike,

Looks like the standard boot screen, or after you press F8. The next step should be to get your ISO to be seen, using either F5 or F10 or a combination you should then get a white box with your ISO details. At this point you can press enter or -v and enter or one of the legacy boot commands, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1495893

If the ISO will not display, then it does not like something about the ISO, I recommend buying an original retail OS X DVD from Apple, as your VMX looks fine other than I am not sure about the svga.vramSize = "4194304" entry, try removing it, or commenting it out. This will not help with the current problem recognising your ISO, but may once you can boot from an OS X ISO or retail DVD.

Attached is the OS X boot screen, in this case showing the mounted hard drive OS X is about to boot from and the OS X Install DVD:

post-487896-1287229736_thumb.jpg

w00t!

Thank you for your support Mac Son of Knife!

I pressed F5 after a while and then I saw that entry! But if I carry on with

rd(0,1)/legacy_kernel -v -f -x rd=disk1s3

during the installation, the OS doesn't see any disk :(

Is there anything else to configure? Do I have to change disk1s3?

I have installed darwin310 and not darwin310b6 because the link

http://www.filedropper.com/darwin310b6

doesn't work :)

w00t!

Thank you for your support Mac Son of Knife!

I pressed F5 after a while and then I saw that entry! But if I carry on with

during the installation, the OS doesn't see any disk :)

Is there anything else to configure? Do I have to change disk1s3?

I have installed darwin310 and not darwin310b6 because the link

http://www.filedropper.com/darwin310b6

doesn't work :(

Spike, No use the 310 version it is the latest, 310b6 was the last beta version before the "published" 310 release.

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see attached an extract from my full installation tutorial:

How_to_install_Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard.pdf

Hi Guys,

Long time reader but my first post.

Now I'm not sure if I have missed something, but can this be done AT ALL on ESXi 3.5 update 2? I dont have 64bit servers to run this on so naturally don't have hardware acceleration.

Have been able to edit the VMX files etc, but darwin10 never works. Comes up with unsupported guest OS. Darwin works, but I have to mount the ISO over the network for it to boot (darwin.iso). I can get the DVD to boot but then get the dreaded Disabling cpu due to incorrect front side bus.

Tried changing CPU mask, didn't work :(

Would really appreciate some help - I want to use iCal server and Contact server so bad!

Been trying with Snow leopard

Hey Guys,

I joined to try and get my problem fixed.

I'm getting the Invalid Front-Side bus frequency 66000000 Hz disabling the CPU error.

I'm also getting the problem of when I get to the Apple logo it just reboots and doesn't work

I'm using

VMWare Workstation 7.1

Window 7 32bit

Retail Snow Leopard Disc

I have a Core i5 HP Pavilion dv6 Series Laptop.

4gb Ram

1 GB Nvidia Graphics

Any Help would be Awesome

Spike, No use the 310 version it is the latest, 310b6 was the last beta version before the "published" 310 release.

If you are getting to the "Install Mac OS X" screen then you need to select Utilities > Disk Utility and go in to the Partition tab, see attached extract from my installation tutorial:

Thank you very much for your support Mac Son of Knife!

I started with

and then followed your .pdf

I didn't need the "Step 2" of the tips given by Donk because the OS started directly.

Now I am upgrading the OS to 10.6.4.

The only problem is about the mouse. In VMWare ESX/ESXi the keyboard and the mouse are PS/2, not USB.

The keyboard works anyway (I don't know why) but the mouse doesn't.

I tried also with

but the problem persists.

For the moment I have solved with this

http:// pc wiz computer . com/index.php?Itemid=48&id=101&option=com_content&task=view

but the pointer isn't smooth at all.

Do you have any idea?

PS: why doy collect all the informations in .pdf and not in the first post of this thread?

If you need, I can write the How-To in BB-Code for VMWare ESX/ESXi

Hi Guys,

Long time reader but my first post.

Now I'm not sure if I have missed something, but can this be done AT ALL on ESXi 3.5 update 2? I dont have 64bit servers to run this on so naturally don't have hardware acceleration.

Have been able to edit the VMX files etc, but darwin10 never works. Comes up with unsupported guest OS. Darwin works, but I have to mount the ISO over the network for it to boot (darwin.iso). I can get the DVD to boot but then get the dreaded Disabling cpu due to incorrect front side bus.

Tried changing CPU mask, didn't work :P

Would really appreciate some help - I want to use iCal server and Contact server so bad!

Been trying with Snow leopard

I think the answer is probably not, as we had quite a lot of issues getting ESXi 4.0 running, and without VT-x I think you are dead in the water. Zenith432 did a good topic which will allow SL to work in a non VT-x environment, but that was using VMware Workstation 6.5 / 7.0 not ESXi 3.5, see link below, you however may be able to make some progress following topic.

I also think Donk's darwin iso is not an option, as ESXi 3.5 is based on earlier code than Workstation 6.5 and definately 7.0, so no hooks for the darwin iso to plug in to. Finally the CPU mask is not relevant it only applies to the latest Core i and Xeon processors and SL 10.6.3, sorry MSoK.

Hey Guys,

I joined to try and get my problem fixed.

I'm getting the Invalid Front-Side bus frequency 66000000 Hz disabling the CPU error.

I'm also getting the problem of when I get to the Apple logo it just reboots and doesn't work

I'm using

VMWare Workstation 7.1

Window 7 32bit

Retail Snow Leopard Disc

I have a Core i5 HP Pavilion dv6 Series Laptop.

4gb Ram

1 GB Nvidia Graphics

Any Help would be Awesome

We probably need some more information, i.e. text attachments of your vmx file and vmware.log. But if you are using either Donk's darwin iso (latest version 310) or Albert's "unlocker" then it is more than likely your retail SL DVD is 10.6.3, if this is the case you will need the CPUID mask adding to your vmx file, see link below, as well as the other additions from the manual at the beginning of this topic.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551966

Thank you very much for your support Mac Son of Knife!

I started with

and then followed your .pdf

I didn't need the "Step 2" of the tips given by Donk because the OS started directly.

Now I am upgrading the OS to 10.6.4.

The only problem is about the mouse. In VMWare ESX/ESXi the keyboard and the mouse are PS/2, not USB.

I tried also with

but the problem persists.

For the moment I have solved with this

http:// pc wiz computer . com/index.php?Itemid=48&id=101&option=com_content&task=view

but the pointer isn't smooth at all.

Do you have any idea?

PS: why doy collect all the informations in .pdf and not in the first post of this thread?

If you need, I can write the How-To in BB-Code for VMWare ESX/ESXi

Spike,

If you have added a SL PS/2 kext for your keyboard and mouse, then amend your two vmx entries to "FALSE" this may improve things. You may also want to Google the VoodooPS2Controller installation package which adds the relevant support. Under ESXi console mouse performance can be poor, better to use VNC or equivalent to access your ESXi based OS X.

In answer to your PS: I guess time mainly and the chance to sit down and collate all the threads, Donk and I have been talking about putting an "updated guide" together, we both have extensive documentation and screenshots of all the steps. Maybe your BB-Code is a better option, and probably better in a new topic.

Spike,

I did a post regarding the mouse issues, with additional links, see below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1557948

Ok,

Edit: with that link you gave me I added on the extra line and it seemed to install. But now after installation i have the spinning wheel and it wont do anything.

Can you confirm your method, i.e. Donk's "darwin iso" or Albert's "Unlocker", also can you attach your vmx and vmware.log files as text, as your configuration should work fine. The only other thing have you got VT-x enabled in BIOS, sorry for the basic question! I would go to Workstation 7.1.2 the latest version, if you do you will need to re-install your OS X activation method, i.e. Donk's or Albert's.

So have 10.6.4 retail inside ESX installed. All good except for the disk performance...

I get a pitiful 10-12MB/s read/writes. Hell, I get better performance over AFP in Xbench on that server.

I know it's not the physical I/O limitation, because I get 60-90MB/s in another VM in the same datastore.

Giving the OSX guest raw disk access to another physical drive yields a whopping 20MB/s.

Using LSI Logic Parallel (only one that works)

VMWare tools installed

Any thoughts?

#!/usr/bin/vmware
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "10.6 Server.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "hard"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "hard"
displayName = "10.6 Server"
extendedConfigFile = "10.6 Server.vmxf"
numvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "10.6 Server-000002.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.clientDevice = "FALSE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "Secondary"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
guestOS = "darwin10-64"
uuid.location = "56 4d e7 c6 9b ca ed 6d-29 d9 f8 42 56 c7 b7 77"
uuid.bios = "56 4d e7 c6 9b ca ed 6d-29 d9 f8 42 56 c7 b7 77"
vc.uuid = "52 a0 85 f2 60 c6 8f f7-b6 72 c2 be 32 70 84 4d"
ide1:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/4acb38f9-5dbfdf31-009e-001cc02b7509/Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Server.iso"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:c7:b7:77"
vmci0.id = "-1149321459"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4acb38f9-5dbfdf31-009e-001cc02b7509/10.6 Server/10.6 Server-92aa76cc.vswp"
replay.filename = ""
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "3932160"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "000006fb000208000000e3fdbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "000006fb00010800800022090febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000a756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "000006fb000208000000e3fdbfebfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"
svga.vramSize = "3932160"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:2.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:2.deviceType = "mouse"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
vmci0.unrestricted = "TRUE"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:0.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:0.throughputCap = "off"
scsi0.sasWWID = "50 05 05 66 9b ca ed 60"
sched.scsi0:1.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:1.throughputCap = "off"
scsi0:1.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
usb.present = "FALSE"
smc.present = "FALSE"

So have 10.6.4 retail inside ESX installed. All good except for the disk performance...

I get a pitiful 10-12MB/s read/writes. Hell, I get better performance over AFP in Xbench on that server.

I know it's not the physical I/O limitation, because I get 60-90MB/s in another VM in the same datastore.

Giving the OSX guest raw disk access to another physical drive yields a whopping 20MB/s.

Using LSI Logic Parallel (only one that works)

VMWare tools installed

Any thoughts?

Well this is just nuts...

So I have 6 (non-raid) physical disks linked to my Linux VM on the same ESX host. I mounted an NFS share from my linux physical drive to ESX, copied my .vmdk there, and my performance increased 8-10 fold.

Whatever. I'll leave it that way for now I guess. Until I get another drive to try out anyway.

Well this is just nuts...

So I have 6 (non-raid) physical disks linked to my Linux VM on the same ESX host. I mounted an NFS share from my linux physical drive to ESX, copied my .vmdk there, and my performance increased 8-10 fold.

Whatever. I'll leave it that way for now I guess. Until I get another drive to try out anyway.

New to the board, and this is my first post. I haven't attempted installing OSX in VMware yet (give me a couple hours), but I can offer one possible explanation, one seen on VMware ESX in enterprise environments all the time: disk mis-alignment. With ESX on a block device, you have the VMFS file system, on top of which we put VMDK files to hold the guest OS's disk device. VMFS will align itself to the underlying disk if it is given an entire physical device, but a partition can offset it. Also, VMware can't do anything about whether the guest file system (HFS+ in this case) is aligned within the VMDK. If it is not, every I/O requested by OS X will result in multiple I/Os on adjacent blocks on the underlying device. NFS does not completely eliminate the issue but it can make it markedly better by eliminating VMFS mis-alignment. Things to check:

1) Either give VMFS an entire physical device or ensure its partition starts at an even offset for the underlying block device

2) When creating partitions for the guest, ensure the partition is offset from the beginning of the virtual device (VMDK file) appropriately

These issues are not unique to ESX or to OS X. Any virtualization software and any guest are subject to this issue. With most 'desktop' deployments the performance of the virtualized disk isn't paid too much attention to and most people don't notice (and if they notice they may not care enough to fix it). The issue definitely gets noticed in the enterprise where disk performance can be a very big deal.

New to the board, and this is my first post. I haven't attempted installing OSX in VMware yet (give me a couple hours), but I can offer one possible explanation, one seen on VMware ESX in enterprise environments all the time: disk mis-alignment. With ESX on a block device, you have the VMFS file system, on top of which we put VMDK files to hold the guest OS's disk device. VMFS will align itself to the underlying disk if it is given an entire physical device, but a partition can offset it. Also, VMware can't do anything about whether the guest file system (HFS+ in this case) is aligned within the VMDK. If it is not, every I/O requested by OS X will result in multiple I/Os on adjacent blocks on the underlying device. NFS does not completely eliminate the issue but it can make it markedly better by eliminating VMFS mis-alignment. Things to check:

1) Either give VMFS an entire physical device or ensure its partition starts at an even offset for the underlying block device

2) When creating partitions for the guest, ensure the partition is offset from the beginning of the virtual device (VMDK file) appropriately

These issues are not unique to ESX or to OS X. Any virtualization software and any guest are subject to this issue. With most 'desktop' deployments the performance of the virtualized disk isn't paid too much attention to and most people don't notice (and if they notice they may not care enough to fix it). The issue definitely gets noticed in the enterprise where disk performance can be a very big deal.

Good points...

My VMFS is indeed partitioned, but partition alignment may not be an issue as all my other guests perform fine. XP, Solaris, Linux. Didn't think about the actual VMDK being misaligned. Didn't even think that was possible.

I'm going to restructure my setup anyway & will probably give vmfs its own drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MSoK and others,

I am able to run 10.5.5 on my machine but having a tough time trying to run SL on the same machine.

Message I'm getting is "Invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 Hz. Disabling the CPU..."

My m/c is T4400 which doesn't support VT. Since last couple of days I have been trying many solutions and vmx settings posted on many threads but none doesn't seems to work.

Am I missing something very basic? Please help to figure out the issue.

Plz find vmlog & vmx attached.

Thanks in advance,

aqueeL

vmware.txt

Mac_OS_X_Server_10.6__experimental_.vmx.txt

Hi MSoK and others,

I am able to run 10.5.5 on my machine but having a tough time trying to run SL on the same machine.

Message I'm getting is "Invalid front-side bus frequency 66000000 Hz. Disabling the CPU..."

My m/c is T4400 which doesn't support VT. Since last couple of days I have been trying many solutions and vmx settings posted on many threads but none doesn't seems to work.

Thanks in advance,

aqueeL

I know this may not help you, but I gave up trying to run it without VT. I shuffled my CPUs around the house from different machines & have been good since.

Hi MSoK and others,

Thanks in advance,

aqueeL

aqueeL,

As you state your CPU does not support VT-x and as such neither Donk's Darwin iso or Albert's Unlocker is going to work, but if you have a look at Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic, link below,this may work as it uses a non vanilla kernel, however please be aware that without VT-x performance is going to be pretty poor.

Also looks like you are using a downloaded copy of OS X need to buy the real thing from Apple, and create a new VMX as the one you are using is not from VMware Workstation 7 the latest version of which is 7.1.2, or you can use the free VMware Player 3.1.2.

Link UPDATED:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

I know this may not help you, but I gave up trying to run it without VT. I shuffled my CPUs around the house from different machines & have been good since.

As romey-rome states, and thanks for the contribution, trying to run SL without VT-x requires significantly more effort, compared with that required when using a VT-x enabled CPU, thanks to the efforts of Donk and Albert.