VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

First of all, many thanks to Donk for providing all this.

It turned out to be extremely helpful in my attempts to test some customized Mac Software we want to offer to our customers.

I would like to let you know that the following combinations worked perfectly fine for me:

VMWare Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739, running on Intel Core i5-750 with Windows 7.

1. GuestOS type darwin10, vanilla Snow Leopard (10.6) using the "-legacy" boot option

2. GuestOS type darwin10-64, same MacOS, but without "-legacy"

It took me a little to find out that the files mentioned in the manual are in the "vmware-darwin-200.zip", but not in the other archives. So I had to overwrite the darwin.iso with the one from darwin-wks7.zip before doing the installation.

One question though:

While it seems that the VMWare tools were somehow installed without my interaction, copy and paste from my host OS (Win7) to the guest OS (Mac) does not work.

Is there anything I need to do to get the VMware tools properly installed or do I have to live with it?

Thanks again!

ct67

Hello everybody!

First of all, many thanks to Donk for providing all this.

It turned out to be extremely helpful in my attempts to test some customized Mac Software we want to offer to our customers.

I would like to let you know that the following combinations worked perfectly fine for me:

VMWare Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739, running on Intel Core i5-750 with Windows 7.

1. GuestOS type darwin10, vanilla Snow Leopard (10.6) using the "-legacy" boot option

2. GuestOS type darwin10-64, same MacOS, but without "-legacy"

It took me a little to find out that the files mentioned in the manual are in the "vmware-darwin-200.zip", but not in the other archives. So I had to overwrite the darwin.iso with the one from darwin-wks7.zip before doing the installation.

One question though:

While it seems that the VMWare tools were somehow installed without my interaction, copy and paste from my host OS (Win7) to the guest OS (Mac) does not work.

Is there anything I need to do to get the VMware tools properly installed or do I have to live with it?

Thanks again!

ct67

The VMware Darwin tools do not install by default and cannot be installed from the VM Workstation or Player menus. To install the VMware tools for darwin (OS X), mount Donk's darwin.iso and it will give you the option to install the tools. Once installed, I have found the best way to copy files between your host OS and your guest OS "OS X" is to use shared folders in virtual machine settings > options > shared folders > enabled and select a folder on the host machine.

Hope this helps!

What is this vmdonk.iso, not anything I have seen in this topic, I thought from your earlier posts you were running a retail copy of OS X with the darwin.iso from a combination of the vmware-darwin-200 and darwin-wks7 zip files, with VT-x enabled. If this is the case the standard manual in the 200 zip should work fine, or the one I have just posted. If this is not the case, then we may need to re-think our approach.

Hi,

I manage to reach the apple logo page but old error occur, struck at the spining rainbow mouse tip

i type -v and the error msg that was highlighted is:

failed to load extension org.netkas.fakesmc

my vmx file:

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

numvcpus = "1"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "528"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

serial0.present = "TRUE"

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

displayName = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental)"

guestOS = "darwin"

nvram = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

printers.enabled = "TRUE"

keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "soft"

powerType.suspend = "soft"

powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Server 10.6 (experimental).vmxf"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "C:\Documents and Settings\Max\Desktop\New Folder\osx-leopard105.iso"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d f4 06 9f be 2a 5c-d8 2d 5a f3 b8 55 89 a7"

uuid.bios = "56 4d f4 06 9f be 2a 5c-d8 2d 5a f3 b8 55 89 a7"

cleanShutdown = "FALSE"

replay.supported = "TRUE"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:55:89:a7"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "783037804"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

cpuid.coresPerSocket = "1"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

policy.vm.managedVMTemplate = "FALSE"

policy.vm.managedVM = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

usb.generic.allowHID = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

disable_acceleration = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

i follow the changes i made the last time, did i miss anything?

i read the manual, the problem seems to be with " smc.present = "FALSE" "

But i cant find a way pass it.

i am using darwin_snow.iso to reach the boot up screen. after that i disconnect and change to leopard.iso for installation. i am using a vmx that was meant for snow leopard. likewise for darwin_snow.

but i assume its ok since i can reach the wallpaper screen?

VT-x is enabled.

Missing something somewhere?

Thks for your help!

Thanx for this great thread!

-VMware Workstation 7.0.1

-WinXP SP3

-Lenovo T61p 6459CTO - Intel Core2 Duo T9300

-Vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail DVD

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
		 smc.present = "FALSE"
		 paevm = "TRUE"

Works like a champ in 64-bit mode, butttt only if I boot with -v.

I added that as a kernel flag to /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and I can live with it but would be great if I didn't have to :(

Anybody have any insights?

Thanx for this great thread!

-VMware Workstation 7.0.1

-WinXP SP3

-Lenovo T61p 6459CTO - Intel Core2 Duo T9300

-Vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail DVD

ich7m.present = "TRUE"
		 smc.present = "FALSE"
		 paevm = "TRUE"

Works like a champ in 64-bit mode, butttt only if I boot with -v.

I added that as a kernel flag to /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and I can live with it but would be great if I didn't have to :)

Anybody have any insights?

I thought the -v flag was only a verbose flag, i.e. you can see the boot processes and any messages for errors! So cannot see how this would help, unless I am mistaken. Try removing the pavem = "TRUE" line from your VMX file, not in my working config.

I thought the -v flag was only a verbose flag, i.e. you can see the boot processes and any messages for errors! So cannot see how this would help, unless I am mistaken. Try removing the pavem = "TRUE" line from your VMX file, not in my working config.

I am as confused as you ;) It is just suppose to be a verbose flag, I wasn't aware it had any functional difference in booting besides printing lots to STDOUT. I've tried without the paevm line and same results, very strange. I don't know if I need that paevm line honestly, it was left over from my attempts at getting past the cpu halt error.

I am as confused as you :D It is just suppose to be a verbose flag, I wasn't aware it had any functional difference in booting besides printing lots to STDOUT. I've tried without the paevm line and same results, very strange. I don't know if I need that paevm line honestly, it was left over from my attempts at getting past the cpu halt error.

Have you tried running OS X up in 32-bit mode, i.e. change the guestOS = "darwin10-64" to "darwin10". I have always run a 64-bit Host OS when trying to run a 64-bit guestOS, although because the VM Hypervisor talks directly to the BIOS, so if the CPU supports 64-Bit then the guestOS can be 64-bit, regardless of what the Host OS is running, well that is the theory!

I am using darwin_snow.iso to reach the boot up screen. after that i disconnect and change to leopard.iso for installation. i am using a vmx that was meant for snow leopard. likewise for darwin_snow.

You do not need to have the darwin.iso mounted for OS X to boot, as long as the guestOS = "darwin" or "darwin-64" are in your Leopard VMX file, just have the Leopard Retail DVD or ISO mounted. The entry in your VMX file takes care of pre-loading all the stuff in the darwin.iso.

Quick question, I have an HP Proliant DL585 G1 that has AMD Opterons in it. Has anyone tried running Snow Leopard under VMWare ESXi with this setup?

If so, did you have problems? (I did both a global, and a targeted to this sub-forum search, and found nothing, hope this isn't a dupe).

If it is believed to work, I'll give it a shot, and see what I can come up with.

Are there any specifics that I need to be aware of, or any distributions that are better than another for this machine?

Thanks!

Have you tried running OS X up in 32-bit mode, i.e. change the guestOS = "darwin10-64" to "darwin10". I have always run a 64-bit Host OS when trying to run a 64-bit guestOS, although because the VM Hypervisor talks directly to the BIOS, so if the CPU supports 64-Bit then the guestOS can be 64-bit, regardless of what the Host OS is running, well that is the theory!

Yup I tried with 32-bit also, same results.

Quick question, I have an HP Proliant DL585 G1 that has AMD Opterons in it. Has anyone tried running Snow Leopard under VMWare ESXi with this setup?

If so, did you have problems? (I did both a global, and a targeted to this sub-forum search, and found nothing, hope this isn't a dupe).

If it is believed to work, I'll give it a shot, and see what I can come up with.

Are there any specifics that I need to be aware of, or any distributions that are better than another for this machine?

Thanks!

I have not seen any indication anyone has yet got SL running under ESXi, I am in the middle of putting some hardware togther to give it a go. Leopard is fine, but SL is a problem as it needs code related to Fusion 3 which is also in Workstation 7, and ESXi is at least one version behind, more like fusion 2 or Workstation 6.

Also OS X only supports Intel CPU's with VT-x, and very nice as the DL585 G1 is it is AMD based and I think too old for AMD-V support.

The only thing I can suggest is try Zenith432's excellent Snow Kitty topic, link below, as it uses a non vanilla kernel to allow SL to run firstly without Virtualisation hardware, and secondly on AMD hardware. Possibly the latest Chameleon or EFI boot drivers may help you progress.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

I would imagine that for anything other than OS X the DL585 should make a great ESX(i) server, I have several customers using them in anger, as they address memory in the same way the latest HP ProLiant G6 Intel Servers now do, i.e. direct to the CPU.

Hope some of this is of use, MSoK.

P.S. for information this topic is based on Intel CPU's with VT-x, retail OS X and a vanilla kernel.

Andrew,

Yes, you are correct, the methods with a couple of tweaks should work fine for a retail copy of Snow Leopard, Donk's manual at the beginning of this topic, plus have a look at my post earlier in this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1420442

Hopefully, it should be straight forward to get SL up and running, plenty of us have acheived it multiple times, good luck!

OK. I seem to be having a problem here.

I'm booting from an ISO image of the retail Snow Leopard DVD. It appears to initally boot OK, I get the grey screen with the apple logo and then it goes to a darker grey screen with the revolving rainbow mouse pointer. It sits like this for hours and does not appear to be doing anything.

I have downloaded the "latest" vmware-darwin-200.zip (although it doesn't appear to be any different from the previous version I had) and installed it when running a command prompt as Administrator (I'm running Windows 7 64-bit). I believe I have the correct settings in the vmx file.

I did try copying the darwin.iso from darwin-wks7.zip to the VMWare Workstation directory, but that stopped the booting working at all - and even my Leopard VM would no longer boot "Operating System Missing".

I'm sure I've missed a step somewhere but I can't work out what.

Host

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz with 2GB RAM)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

VMWare Workstation 7.01

Snow Leopard 10.6

Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard.vmx.txt

vmware.log.txt

These are the files I get in vmware-darwin-200.zip

26/06/2009  01:50 PM		   163,161 AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip
26/06/2009  06:38 PM		13,068,288 darwin.iso
25/08/2007  05:56 PM		 1,028,096 libeay32.dll
26/06/2009  03:51 PM		   603,279 manual.pdf
25/08/2007  05:56 PM		   294,912 openssl.exe
26/06/2009  06:46 PM			   138 readme.txt
24/06/2009  04:21 PM			 1,839 setup.cmd
10/06/2009  05:29 PM			 2,088 setup.sh
25/08/2007  05:56 PM		   200,704 ssleay32.dll
11/08/2008  03:12 PM			 1,679 tools-key.pem
11/08/2008  03:12 PM			   451 tools-key.pub

Newest files are June 2009. Am I somehow downloading the wrong version of the file? I'm getting it from here: http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

OK. I seem to be having a problem here.

I did try copying the darwin.iso from darwin-wks7.zip to the VMWare Workstation directory, but that stopped the booting working at all - and even my Leopard VM would no longer boot "Operating System Missing".

I'm sure I've missed a step somewhere but I can't work out what.

Host

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 (Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2GHz with 2GB RAM)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

VMWare Workstation 7.01

Snow Leopard 10.6

Andrew, yes as you say you have missed a step, uninstall the darwin tools, go to your darwin-200 directory and run "setup.cmd uninstall". This will uninstall the tools, also delete the darwin-200 directory, then download the latest version, link below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/365613323/VMwa...est_Package.zip

The new darwin-301 has the latest darwin.iso, the darwin-200 does not support SL, without the wks7 update, the update needs to be copied to the darwin-200 directory before installing in to VMWare. The new darwin-301 version is SL ready, so unzip to a new directory, and drop to a command prompt go the the new darwin-301 directory and run the "setup.cmd install" command.

Your retail SL ISO should then progress, rather than sit at the grey screen. I have had a look at your VMX and it looks fine, a couple of changes recommended:

guestOS = "darwin10" or "darwin10-64" for 64-bit

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

I have included all the relevant settings for SL, they are also in the darwin-301 zip file as add2vmx4SL.txt or add2vmx4L.txt for Leopard, link above.

Hope this helps you progress.

These are the files I get in vmware-darwin-200.zip

Andrew, refer to my post above, use the new darwin-301 for the darwin tools, and darwin.iso

Cheers,

MSofK.

Thanks. I missed that link. It is working now.

Any chance of having the original post updated with the link to the new package?

I have these as FALSE because on my Leopard VM, the mouse would not work at all with them on TRUE.

Andrew, Not my post, so will need to check with Donk. On the "TRUE" or "FALSE" issue, indeed Leopard is better served with "FALSE", but in Snow Leopard generally "TRUE" works better for both mouse and keyboard.

On the "TRUE" or "FALSE" issue, indeed Leopard is better served with "FALSE", but in Snow Leopard generally "TRUE" works better for both mouse and keyboard.

OK. I have switched to "TRUE" and all looks well.

Let me say a huge THANKS to you and Donk for getting all this working.

OK. I have switched to "TRUE" and all looks well.

Let me say a huge THANKS to you and Donk for getting all this working.

Andrew, a pleasure, I am sure I can speak for both myself and Donk and say we are glad we have been able to help.

MSoK.

hey folks, I have a problem using vmare.

I installed osx 10.6 without any problems.

But after the installation and restart, the installation wants to start again. No bootloader, no starting of OS.

Whats wrong?

But after the installation and restart, the installation wants to start again. No bootloader, no starting of OS.

Whats wrong?

Metman, need a whole lot more info, logs, VMX file, Host OS, CPU, etc, before we can help!

Whats wrong?

Please take the centre statements out of your post, it screws up the page formatting.

Metman, need a whole lot more info, logs, VMX file, Host OS, CPU, etc, before we can help!

Host OS: Windows 7

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Mainboard: Asus P5QL-Pro (with Intel P43 Chipset)

VMX:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

numvcpus = "2"

maxvcpus = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "MacOSX.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "F:\hackintosh\Distros\SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5\SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = " (Realtek High Definition Audio"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "MacOSX"

guestOS = "darwin-64"

nvram = "MacOSX.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

extendedConfigFile = "MacOSX.vmxf"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:b7:08:ae"

uuid.location = "56 4d a0 c6 51 99 37 45-13 75 72 06 ad b7 08 ae"

uuid.bios = "56 4d a0 c6 51 99 37 45-13 75 72 06 ad b7 08 ae"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-1380513618"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "False"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

Log file is attached.

Thanks. Best regards from Germany.

Edit: I am using vmware workstation 7

ps.: sry for centering the post but I had some problems with firefox.

vmware_0.rar

Finally I got another version which works fine for me. Although it is an older version, it works. Due to osx86 project site (wiki) this version should not work with my mainboard.

But I have 2 Problems:

- my keyboard has a "lag". I can't type correctly, its very slow or not working. (internet and other stuff is working well).

- after several minutes the system crashs. I get this message: "the cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" + "you need to restart your computer..."

any idea?

thx

Finally I got another version which works fine for me. Although it is an older version, it works. Due to osx86 project site (wiki) this version should not work with my mainboard.

But I have 2 Problems:

- my keyboard has a "lag". I can't type correctly, its very slow or not working. (internet and other stuff is working well).

- after several minutes the system crashs. I get this message: "the cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" + "you need to restart your computer..."

any idea?

thx

You are using a non retail version of OS X, so not really supported in this topic, Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic might be a better source, link below:

However, if you have installed Donk's darwin.iso tools, then a couple of changes to your VMX file may help:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

If it helps copies for both are in the latest darwin301 tools, link below:

Hope this helps, MSoK!

YOu are using a non retail version of OS X, so not really supported in this topic, Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic might be a better source, link below:

However, if you have installed Donk's darwin.iso tools, then a couple of changes to your VMX file may help:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

If it helps copies for both are in the latest darwin301 tools, link below:

Hope this helps, MSoK!

Those tools are great, but question... If I let the VMWare workstation 7 sit idle for awhile, the Mac OS X guest freezes. The network LED periodically blinks on the VMWare workstations lower status bar, but the only way to get anything done is to reset the virtual machine.

Any idea's?

Those tools are great, but question... If I let the VMWare workstation 7 sit idle for awhile, the Mac OS X guest freezes. The network LED periodically blinks on the VMWare workstations lower status bar, but the only way to get anything done is to reset the virtual machine.

Any idea's?

Sounds like it may be the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences under OS X, change both "Computer sleep:" and "Dispaly sleep:" to "Never" and untick the two boxes.